Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,057 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu (1865 Views)

Little Girl Tells Nuhu Gidado She Will Be A Deputy Gov Too / Today Is Nuhu Ribadu's Birthday. Your Wish Or Advice To Him. / What Do You Think Of Malam Nuhu Ribadu? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by Nobody: 3:56pm On Feb 16, 2010
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by KnowAll(m): 4:34pm On Feb 16, 2010
Is mikeansy- Nuhu Ribadu, let us know oh undecided
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by Nobody: 4:38pm On Feb 16, 2010
KnowAll:

Sorry why did you think that?

I won't mind to be Ribadu to be honest though. I am not even from the North let alone Adamawa. I have never met Ribadu either.

I am from the South East.

But I consider Ribadu a Nigerian Hero. A lot of folks may disagree but I am not willing to engage in that debate.
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by deor03(m): 4:39pm On Feb 16, 2010
KnowAll:

why?
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by Nobody: 1:34am On Feb 17, 2010
[size=18pt]Ribadu set to return home . . . . . . says change has come to Nigeria [/size]
By Fidelis Soriwei, Abuja, Published: Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010

Mallam Nuhu Ribadu

Pioneer Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, has hailed the elevation of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan to the position of Acting President in the country.

Ribadu said that the resolution of the National Assembly to vest the powers of the President on Jonathan in acting capacity, indicated that things were changing for the better in the country.

The former EFCC boss said this during a phone-in programme on an international cable television based in Doha. Qatar, Al Jazeera, on Tuesday.

Ribadu said the outcome of the protracted constitutional crisis and the empowerment of Jonathan to take over power showed that the country was favoured by God.

He said that the refusal to adhere strictly to the dictates of the constitution and the rule of law was a clear case of corruption.

The former anti-corruption czar, currently in exile in the United Kingdom, said that he would return to the country to be part of the process of reconstruction desperately needed in the society.

Although, Ribadu did not indicate when he would return to the country, he dismissed the possibility of his returning to his job as Chairman of the EFCC.

He said that the resolution of the crisis and the political empowerment of Jonathan should be seen as a factor of pride to Nigerians for being able to resolve their internal issues.

He stated further that the outcome of the governorship election in Anambra State and the pattern of administration of Jonathan showed that the country was on the right track of constitutionalism.

He said, “Things have started getting back on track. Indeed what is happening in Nigeria today itself is a manifestation of corruption we are talking about. What is corruption? It means simply abuse of office or misuse of authority.

“We have ended up in a situation where leadership refused to respect the law, refuse to follow the constitution, refused to go by what the National Assembly is saying. Elders of the country! it is tragic.

“Apart from just taking the money the resources of the country, it is also includes abuse of office, not doing things according to the law. Sadly this is the case of our country. It is unfortunate…

“Well I am a Nigerian. I will go back to my country. Sadly I have been out. Those who messed up the country insisted on throwing out every person who tried to do what is right for the country.

“But change has come to Nigeria , And I am not saying that I am going to go back to that job. No. Certainly no. But I should be part of whatever that is going to get our country back on track.

“In the last three years, this country has gone through hell. We have seen bad things; unbelievable things have happened in Nigeria and there is so much to be done. And I believe every Nigerian, not just Nuhu Ribadu, but every Nigerian, has something to do.

“All of us would just have to get back and see what can be done to get our country back on track. Few people unfortunately did what they liked with us, they messed us up; they turned things upside down. The little things we achieved in the area of corruption and the image of our country, and development they messed up.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100217231857
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by chidichris(m): 10:49am On Feb 17, 2010
maybe there is now agreement never to ask him to account for his time as efcc chairman.
what change is that embecile talking about? he has finally found a soft landing spot.
if i were that shameless beast, i will choose to live the rest of my life outside nigeria.
is he sure that those after his life are no longer in nigeria?
his devilish father(obj) may have arranged for another despotic position for him under goodluck.
to them, yar adua who makes room for rule of law was a devil.
those idiots who ran away to avoid the laws of the land shld learn to die there and stop boring us with their nonsense comments.
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by 18platoon(m): 10:58am On Feb 17, 2010
chidichris, are you in dubai or nigeria?
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by chiozor: 11:28am On Feb 17, 2010
chidichris
are u sure you are alright
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by debetmx(m): 2:30pm On Feb 17, 2010
We Nigerians have a short memory. Ribadu is one is one of the most useless Nigerians. A man who went after Obasanjo political enemies and any saw how Obasanjo and his cohorts were seriously looting Nigeria. Look at the work he did for Obasanjo prior to the 2007 general elections, if not for people who sought redress at various courts. Yar'Adua and Aondonkaa have only suceeded in making him a hero
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by Nobody: 2:47pm On Feb 17, 2010
debetmx:

We Nigerians have a short memory. Ribadu is one is one of the most useless Nigerians. A man who went after Obasanjo political enemies and any saw how Obasanjo and his cohorts were seriously looting Nigeria. Look at the work he did for Obasanjo prior to the 2007 general elections, if not for people who sought redress at various courts. Yar'Adua and Aondonkaa have only suceeded in making him a hero

That argument is dead politically and has lost any misguided traction it got.

Look for something new
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by kay9(m): 2:56pm On Feb 17, 2010
mikeansy:

That argument is dead politically and has lost any misguided traction it got.

Look for something new

I beg to disagree. Nuhu Ribadu did some good, lot more good than any law enforcer before him in the country. BUT that doesn't cover the fact that MOST of the people he went after were more or less politically at loggerheads with OBJ. Anybody who as much as listened to NTA network news during OBJ's period can bear witness to this. The guy did some good, yes, but let's not act or speak like we've forgotten that most of his actions were almost "telepathically" attuned to OBJ's master-plan.
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by safeact(m): 3:33pm On Feb 17, 2010
Dnt mind him, he is coming back to know if he can take up d post of vice president so that he can fight back his enemies! Excuse me pass, jare.
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by mahal(m): 3:38pm On Feb 17, 2010
debetmx:

A thief remains a thief whether they are political friends or foes of OBJ at that time,
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by kay9(m): 3:57pm On Feb 17, 2010
mahal:

A thief remains a thief whether they are political friends or foes of OBJ at that time,

You are missing the point. The issue is not about those he prosecuted; it is about those he didn't! Why wasn't the Transcorp saga properly investigated? Where did the funding for Oando Nigeria come from? What happened to Nigeria's excess crude account? (at least i remember i started hearing stories about that money while he was still around). What about the crooks that won the $857 million Power contract under OBJ. It's "swept-under-the-carpet" issues like this that we talking about.
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by Fhemmmy: 4:01pm On Feb 17, 2010
This is becoming more interesting.
Would return to help build a nation he ran from and a nation he has the chance to nail some rogues and he refused?
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by violent(m): 4:17pm On Feb 17, 2010
mahal:

Simple!. .

And was the then IG of police an enemy of Obasanjo?. . Even if that is the case, then why are Obasanjo's enemies planning to loot the nation dry to begin with.

I am sick and angry with all this people that throw up cards with inscriptions as "Ribadu only went after OBJ's enemies" its very typical of Nigerians to find faults. . . the same set will shout "Sanusi is planning to sell Banks to his friends". . . ."Fashola's wife spends 3 billion on make up". . . . "Dora Akunyili is Rebranding". . . . . "Okonjo Iweala's pay is too much"

I wonder if people will ever learn to appreciate the few ones who wouldn't stop at anything to see a corruption free progressive Nigeria.
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by kay9(m): 4:34pm On Feb 17, 2010
violent:

Simple!. .

And was the then IG of police an enemy of Obasanjo?. . Even if that is the case, then why are Obasanjo's enemies planning to loot the nation dry to begin with.

How often do you listen to, or read news from (or pertaining to) Nigeria? No offence meant, but you really sound like you only do when a particular story just catches your fancy. You are not even sure whether ex-police I.G, Tafa Balogun was an "enemy" of OBJ's or not (that is, of course, assuminf he's the one you're refering to). And who and who exactly are you talking about when you say "Obasanjo's enemies"?

Dude, do your research properly, then come back.
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by lyfe(m): 5:01pm On Feb 17, 2010
One of the few good men in Nigeria
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by afemai: 5:31pm On Feb 17, 2010
@ Poster
You definitely would/should have a stand on any topic as I do concerning Ribadu.
You should allow people ventilation to express their opinions and not just wish them away.
He was the police lawyer in 2000(before being made EFCC chairman in 2003)who was prosecuting Julius Makanjuola former Perm Sec Min. of defence and (OBJ'S cousin) on corruption charges involving 400 million naira, the outcome of the case is moribund till date he was ‘arm twisted’ of course by his boss to continue same thereafter .
He undermined the constitution several times by removing governors with less than the prescribed 2/3 majority of the house as required by law. He said 31 governors were corrupt will prosecute them after imunuity clause was removed only 5 anti third term governors were eventually taken to court.
Ribadu was a witch-hunting tool in the hand of Obj who was only interested in Obj’s enemies (I will repeat regardless of how anyone feels) who pilfer our resources for self gain, Ribadu for sure was feared by all, he had too much power and exerted too much authority that he thought it was ‘game’ as usual after his master OBJ left office (as exhibited in his insubordination that led to his dismissal) but Yar Adua came with his ‘due process’.
My grudge with him is that he was not thorough but biased and selective hence made nonsense of any efforts he made to tackle corruption.
He is definitely on the wrong side of History because he lacked the moral quality a true corruption crusader exhibits!!! I would have respected him if he came out to confess that his boss was hindering his work, but he chooses to remain and do the dirty work for OBJ. Now he is a fugitive.
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by Nobody: 5:57pm On Feb 17, 2010
Please let us not confuse our perception of history and history itself.

Because History will show that Ribadu prosecuted more card carrying PDP members than opposition
History will show that those Ribadu prosecuted and attempted to prosecute got so much allocation for their state but had nothing to show for those allocations in terms of infrastructures on ground
History will show that the Governors who want to call themselves anti-3rd term crusaders had no vote whatsoever in the NASS
History will also show that the most important and most effective public officer (Ken Nnamani) who destroyed 3rd was never a guest of EFCC neither was he ever intimidated by EFCC
History will also show that the Number one opposition figure in the country (General Muhammadu Buhari) was neither a guest of EFCC nor was he intimidated
History will show that Ribadu prosecuted his own boss the IG of police as well as members of OBJ's cabinet
History will show that those who Ribadu prosecuted had genuine question of corruption to answer
History will also show that it was not part of Mallam Nuhu Ribadu's job to keep an inventory of those who are friends or enemies of OBJ and thus the only legitimate questions to ask will be were those who Ribadu took to court really indicted of genuine offences?
History will also show that no crime fighter around the world caught all criminals in one day and at a time as such can only charge to court those who they have gathered evidence on.

Do you also know a story that will be available to history? Even those of you who dislike Ribadu are unable to accuse him of charging an innocent man to court but are angry that those  who Ribadu charged to court are those who even though you consider them potentially guilty of the crimes they were accused of you think they should have been set free because they are enemies of Obasanjo. 

But History will also show that at no time did any section of our constitution say that enmity with President amounts to immunity from prosecution.

Surely History will judge Ribadu kindly and is also doing just that. Because after 2 years out of office and with the benefit of hindsight all have come to see what a charade Yar'adua's rule of law mantra has become. They wont even respect the constitution let alone fight corruption.
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by Afam(m): 5:59pm On Feb 17, 2010
kay9:

I beg to disagree. Nuhu Ribadu did some good, lot more good than any law enforcer before him in the country. BUT that doesn't cover the fact that MOST of the people he went after were more or less politically at loggerheads with OBJ. Anybody who as much as listened to NTA network news during OBJ's period can bear witness to this. The guy did some good, yes, but let's not act or speak like we've forgotten that most of his actions were almost "telepathically" attuned to OBJ's master-plan.

Considering the facts about anti corruption fight before, during and after Ribadu I make bold to say that anti corruption fight under Ribadu was the best we have seen and if that is part of OBJ's master plan as you put it then kudos to OBJ too.

As long as no innocent man was harassed, prosecuted or detained by EFCC all the talk about whether the players were OBJ's friends or foes amount to rubbish because Ribadu did not deal with any innocent man.

Again, since Ribadu left why haven't all those friends of OBJ been rounded up and thrown to jail? Abi na Ribadu dey control the current EFCC chair too?
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by Recardo(m): 6:56pm On Feb 17, 2010
I disagree with Ribadu 100%. which change has come. There is no change as long as the evil PDP is still holding sway. Jonathan is now the acting chairman of the Party therefore what change is he talking about?
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by obailala(m): 11:29pm On Feb 17, 2010
For all those that hate Nuhu: WHAT EVIL HAS MR RIBADU REALLY DONE TO DESERVE ALL THESE HATE AND SCORN FROM NIGERIANS?

This is a question I ask all the time and except for a few people that gave me a few other flimsy reasons, every other person argued that,"HE WAS SIMPLY USED BY OBJ TO FIGHT POLITICAL ENEMIES."

I totally agree with this argument but the question I ask is, "Are these 'so called' enemies of Obj not corrupt? where they not all thieves" If there's nothing else he did, at least he arrested some thieves in Nigeria and Farida has arrested absolutely no one in her two years as against the everyday arrests by Ribadu.

kay9:

You are missing the point. The issue is not about those he prosecuted; it is about those he didn't! Why wasn't the Transcorp saga properly investigated? Where did the funding for Oando Nigeria come from? What happened to Nigeria's excess crude account? (at least i remember i started hearing stories about that money while he was still around). What about the crooks that won the $857 million Power contract under OBJ. It's "swept-under-the-carpet" issues like this that we talking about.
In a game of Chess, it is impossible to capture the opponents King FIRST without capturing the pawns and other officials. We want change in Nigeria and we want it fast but may I remind u that this change cannot happen in a day.

Corruption is like a mighty army that has held Nigeria captive for some time now. To fight this formidable force, there is NO WAY u can start by killing its generals first. That would be impossible. Any attempt at this in the early stage of the battle would only be suicidal. For those that wanted Ribadu to start his fight by arresting the FRIENDS of Obj or Obj himself, I am sorry to say this but he (ribadu) was smarter than that. He knew it was impossible. In the military, an attempt of that nature would be termed, "FOOLISH GALLANTRY."

I believe Mr Nuhu knew the kind of enemies he was faced with so he employed the best tactics of sweeping away the easy targets first. Nigerians were just being too impatient.
Re: Change Has Come To Nigeria - Nuhu Ribadu by kay9(m): 8:43am On Feb 18, 2010
obailala:

"HE WAS SIMPLY USED BY OBJ TO FIGHT POLITICAL ENEMIES." I totally agree with this argument but . . . .

In a game of Chess, it is impossible to capture the opponents King FIRST without capturing the pawns and other officials. We want change in Nigeria and we want it fast but may I remind u that this change cannot happen in a day.
I believe Mr Nuhu knew the kind of enemies he was faced with so he employed the best tactics of sweeping away the easy targets first. Nigerians were just being too impatient.

Fair enough. wink

(1) (Reply)

‘senator Al- Bishir Wanted To Kill Me Over Al Mustapha’s Wealth’ ! / I Want To Be A Moderator / Funny Side Of The Nationwide Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.