Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,841 members, 7,851,845 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 09:08 AM

Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? (28121 Views)

No Man Should Be Encouraged To Marry A Single Mother: A Response To Vyvyanvyvy / Do intertribal Marriages work? / Intertribal Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:08pm On Aug 20, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

You just butressed everything I've said.
We will all lose our identity on the long run.
In the name of being "open minded".
So long.......
I'm done

you mean losing your "identity" that has already been lost from generation and generation of inter tribal marriages?!
you are funny!

6 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 1:08pm On Aug 20, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

people like the OP have a very high sense of themselves, not understanding that we are products of inter tribal mix etc.... there is a great documentary on youtube called MOMONDO, THE DNA JOURNEY, which is a fantastic show to prove people that they are NOT what they think they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5o9DmUYCJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYnutf0rqeY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SB6ZaqEaLQ
Thank you for these videos, I will go through them.

My dad once told me his mother(my grandma) were not even from ijebu origin, if you see her she's very light skinned like an half-cast, they(their forefathers) migrated there, this is the reason we are light skinned in our family.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by OrdercityWeb: 1:09pm On Aug 20, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

you mean losing your "identity" that has already been lost from generation and generation of inter tribal marriages?!
you are funny!
It could be stopped from been completely lost. So.............#sayNOtointertribalmarriage

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:12pm On Aug 20, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

It could be stopped from been completely lost. So.............#sayNOtointertribalmarriage

ok brotha, good luck on that while the rest of the world focus on MORE IMPORTANT matters, and enjoy life in their inter tribal unions.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by OrdercityWeb: 1:14pm On Aug 20, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

people like the OP have a very high sense of themselves, not understanding that we are products of inter tribal mix etc.... there is a great documentary on youtube called MOMONDO, THE DNA JOURNEY, which is a fantastic show to prove people that they are NOT what they think they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5o9DmUYCJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYnutf0rqeY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SB6ZaqEaLQ
Lol!!
Its not by youtube videos. I could also drop a video validating the my assetions that we are unique.
The fact people migrated doesn't mean they're not unique.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by OrdercityWeb: 1:18pm On Aug 20, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

ok brotha, good luck on that while the rest of the world focus on MORE IMPORTANT matters, and enjoy life in their inter tribal unions.
Lol!!
important matters?
You all just proved me right that the more we inter marry, the more we lose sight of our identity.
It would get to a point we don't want to care about who we are anymore as we will adopt a unified form of identity.
Black Americans come to mind. Most of them just know they are black. They nothing else about their identity.
So long.....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by menxer: 1:27pm On Aug 20, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

The bolded. If Isrealited continued marrying Hittites what would have happened to them?
Hittites would lose their culture offcourse to the Isrealites. Cause and effect. See?
Identity is identity. Wherever you want to claim.
If we all keep marrying fron other places it would get to a point most of us wouldn't even know where we are from.
Hahahahahahahahaha a

At what point did we start identifying a people as Jews?
From Abraham, right?
Beyond Abraham what identity did his ancestors claim?

Abraham married his half sister, hinting at inbreeding, is that cultural value and means of identity still held today?

What do you have to say caused the complexion of the present day Jews to differ from that of their ancient ancestors of Sumer, if not intertribal marriage?

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 1:29pm On Aug 20, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

Lol, the dude does not even know part of ethnic wars, tribal wars, were because people in ancient era don't intermarry, inter-marraige is even use to settle war/conflict between two tribe or clan.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:33pm On Aug 20, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

Lol!!
important matters?
You all just proved me right that the more we inter marry, the more we lose sight of our identity.
It would get to a point we don't want to care about who we are anymore as we will adopt a unified form of identity.
Black Americans come to mind. Most of them just know they are black. They nothing else about their identity.
So long.....

worry about BS of tribes while others focus on their responsibilities in life (aka feed their/house/clothe their family) and being HAPPY in their life.

as for black American, they dont CARE about "your" issue of tribe (and they rightfully shouldnt give a damn about this nonsense!) as they are African American, thats their identity... and unless you have a crystal ball to tell them which tribe in Africa their ancestors were abducted from, i suggest you stop writing rubbish.

OrdercityWeb:

Lol!!
Its not by youtube videos. I could also drop a video validating the my assetions that we are unique.
The fact people migrated doesn't mean they're not unique.

if the video was about people migrating then you would have a point, sadly it is about deluded people who think about being from a certain race/tribe, and having the shock of their lives after having a DNA test proves they are NOT.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:36pm On Aug 20, 2017
tintingz:
Lol, the dude does not even know part of ethnic wars, tribal wars, were because people in ancient era don't intermarry, inter-marraige is even use to settle war/conflict between two tribe or clan.

the dude's assertions are baseless and makes absolutely NO damn sense....but then again, there are many people like him in Africa.
to each their own misery!

4 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by OrdercityWeb: 1:41pm On Aug 20, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

the dude's assertions are baseless and makes absolutely NO damn sense....but then again, there are many people like him in Africa.
This is what I'm saying. You don't have an identity.
There is nothing like "African American". Your ancestors came from somewhere.
But since you all speak English you think you are all the same. Very soon you'd say there is something like "Germanic French people". Lol what a paradox.
Anyways enjoy your "misery"

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by OrdercityWeb: 1:44pm On Aug 20, 2017
tintingz:

Lol. You're a very funny person. You know this is entirely a diffrent context but whatever suits your narrative is okay with you.
How does this relate to the fact that we would lose our identity as butressed by you and Mr Brown when we intermarry.
The both of you just proved me right. But you are fighting the reality that we are all unique and that its been lost.
Enjoy yourself
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:46pm On Aug 20, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

This is what I'm saying. You don't have an identity.
There is nothing like "African American". Your ancestors came from somewhere.
But since you all speak English you think you are all the same. Very soon you'd say there is something like "Germanic French people". Lol what a paradox.
Anyways enjoy your "misery"

ahahahaha and you "MR captain save an African tribe" know where they (or you) came from?! people like you are so much brainwashed into your tribal nonsense that you will write nonsense, knowing fully well that you make absolutely NO DAMN SENSE.

here you are writing rubbish about tribes, while you havent shown us what was so special about these same tribes that you couldnt/shouldnt do without OR teach it to your kids (if they were so important issues). get real or better yet, still living in the archaic past!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by OrdercityWeb: 1:55pm On Aug 20, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

ahahahaha and you "MR captain save an African tribe" know where they (or you) came from?! people like you are so much brainwashed into your tribal nonsense that you will write nonsense, knowing fully well that you make absolutely NO DAMN SENSE.

here you are writing rubbish about tribes, while you havent shown us what was so special about these same tribes that you couldnt/shouldnt do without OR teach it to your kids (if they were so important issues). get real or better yet, still living in the archaic past!
Well your assertion that it makes "no damn sense" is subjective to you.
Archaic? I guess that's what the white folks made you to believe. You have simply lost your idenity no matter how you try to twist the semantics.
This is what western civilization has done to many parts of the world. And this is what is going to destroy the West. Trying to unify everyone under one identity is SENSELESS.
Bruh!! You don't know who you are. You only know what the white man told you.
African American?lol!!
I'm Chinese African.....lol.. undecided

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 2:15pm On Aug 20, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

Lol. You're a very funny person. You know this is entirely a diffrent context but whatever suits your narrative is okay with you.
How does this relate to the fact that we would lose our identity as butressed by you and Mr Brown when we intermarry.
The both of you just proved me right. But you are fighting the reality that we are all unique and that its been lost.
Enjoy yourself
Ex president Barack Obama is a product of inter-marraige, did he lost his native name, he even visit his father's country kenya many times.

Obama has a dual identity which gives him advantage of winning the presidential election in U.S and became a leader, you won't see that but you love being close minded and hypocritical.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 2:31pm On Aug 20, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

Well your assertion that it makes "no damn sense" is subjective to you.
Archaic? I guess that's what the white folks made you to believe. You have simply lost your idenity no matter how you try to twist the semantics.
This is what western civilization has done to many parts of the world. And this is what is going to destroy the West. Trying to unify everyone under one identity is SENSELESS.
Bruh!! You don't know who you are. You only know what the white man told you.
African American?lol!!
I'm Chinese African.....lol.. undecided
The African Americans had no freedom to promote/pass their culture, they were under slave masters who changed everything about them, religion is also part of the tool. This case is totally a different one.

People now have freedom to practice anything they want, I wonder why you think people in intertribal marriage will lost their culture. People have the freedom to pass their culture or not, it is non of anybody fücking business, Some tribes in Brazil adopted the Yoruba culture, so what has culture has to do in changing the world to be a better place?

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 2:34pm On Aug 20, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

My brother, I tire for these archaic people or should I say troglodytes? grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by MrBrownJay1(m): 2:50pm On Aug 20, 2017
tintingz:
My brother, I tire for these archaic people or should I say troglodytes? grin

lol, Troglodytes... you just taught me a new word (the beauty of NL). thank you.

the OP is definitely a TROGLODYTE!

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 3:11pm On Aug 20, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

lol, Troglodytes... you just taught me a new word (the beauty of NL). thank you.

the OP is definitely a TROGLODYTE!
You welcome grin grin grin
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by MMotimo: 4:47pm On Aug 20, 2017
OrdercityWeb:
I was having a discussion with a few friends yesterday. I told them emotions aside, intertribal marriages shouldn't be ENCOURAGED.
Why? To preserve our culture, our identity is in our culture. I know alot of products of intertribal marriages that are torn between the question of identity.
I once read where a lady from an intertribal marriage said her mom insisted she married her own tribe as against her dad's.
In many intertribal homes there is this cultural neutrality, and many times there's a power play on the kids among the two in-laws.
Even the bible doesn't encourage intertribal marriage, remeber the instructions Abraham gave to his servant and the fact that Jesus was sent to the jews ONLY initially.
Have you wondered why the Chinese and Koreans do not marry outside their race, why do you think there is that cultural cohesion and reverence with them anywhere they go.
My take is INTERTRIBAL MARRIAGES SHOULDN'T BE ENCOURAGED.
What's your take? Please be factual and intelligent DO NOT APPEAL TO EMOTIONS.

**modified**
Alot of people are saying "culture evolves". Yes cultures evolve. But fundamentals like identity remains same.
Culture evolves. Identity doesn't. The fact that the Yorubas believe they descended from Oduduwa is UNIQUE TO THEM ALONE AND CAN NEVER EVER EVOLVE.
THE MOMENT IT DOES WE HAVE LOST WHO WE ARE

It is this kind of thinking that gives rise to the delusion of racial supremacy yet you probably don't see yourself as a supremacist nor bigot. Inter tribal as well as inter racial marraiges are a good thing. This idea of tribal/cultural purity (often embedded in the fallacy of tribal/racial superiority) is one arm of a very flawed ideology that perpetuates prejudices that do not belong in our world.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by DarkRebel69: 6:01pm On Aug 20, 2017
Marcus M. Garvey wrote about mental slavery; Bob Marley sang about it and yet, here we are, in the "Big Data Age", a concrete jungle of talking computers and flying, self-directed machines, and yet some individual's mind remains pitifully stuck in the bleak yester-pages of an obsolete book, terribly bogged down by the heavy, metallic chains of unprogressive tradition.

OP doesn't seem like a bright bulb, and that's me putting it in the mildest of terms.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Femsyn(m): 7:23pm On Aug 20, 2017
Absolutely nothing wrong with inter-tribal marriages, but I must warn that both parties understand each other's cultures first before venturing into it. There have been quite a lot of successes recorded from it, but the female folks (wives) especially tend to suffer for some alien practices by the husband's family sometimes.

Overall, it's a very welcomed practice.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by ireneidiva(f): 8:22pm On Aug 20, 2017
OrdercityWeb:
I was having a discussion with a few friends yesterday. I told them emotions aside, intertribal marriages shouldn't be ENCOURAGED.
Why? To preserve our culture, our identity is in our culture. I know alot of products of intertribal marriages that are torn between the question of identity.
I once read where a lady from an intertribal marriage said her mom insisted she married her own tribe as against her dad's.
In many intertribal homes there is this cultural neutrality, and many times there's a power play on the kids among the two in-laws.
Even the bible doesn't encourage intertribal marriage, remeber the instructions Abraham gave to his servant and the fact that Jesus was sent to the jews ONLY initially.
Have you wondered why the Chinese and Koreans do not marry outside their race, why do you think there is that cultural cohesion and reverence with them anywhere they go.

**modified**
Alot of people are saying "culture evolves". Yes cultures evolve. But fundamentals like identity remains same.
Culture evolves. Identity doesn't. The fact that the Yorubas believe they descended from Oduduwa is UNIQUE TO THEM ALONE AND CAN NEVER EVER EVOLVE.
Rubbish. who did culture help? Marry whomever you love. Culture should be the last thing you should think about.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 8:41pm On Aug 20, 2017
Femsyn:
Absolutely nothing wrong with inter-tribal marriages, but I must warn that both parties understand each other's cultures first before venturing into it. There have been quite a lot of successes recorded from it, but the female folks (wives) especially tend to suffer for some alien practices by the husband's family sometimes.

Overall, it's a very welcomed practice.
The bolded happens even if a woman Marries from her own tribe, many cultural practice does not favor the women folks, there are some baseless, barbaric, archaic, troglodyte practice that need to be eradicate from cultures.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tolajay: 8:35am On Aug 23, 2017
Dear OrdercityWeb,

I see your quest to hold an intellectual conversation on this issue, howbeit, without considering the realistic points of sociology, culture and human existence. So, your position might only be academically relevant and nothing more.

You stated all your perceived reasons for why intertribal unions shouldn't be encouraged or established, with the preservation of culture and identity leading the pack. You, however, failed to state in specifics what you mean by identity and culture (at least for clear understanding by all). This is further expressed in your counters to other contributors' comment on the the evolution of culture and identity.

Let me ask you, what role does cultural affiliation play in the development, successes or failures of an individual - major, medium, minor? You referenced Solomon being a man of dual tribe/race, how did that contributed to his disadvantage, success or failure in life?

Now, who and what rule says that humans (an individual) should only have a single cultural leaning all of his/her life? The human mind is quite adaptive, especially, at its formative (childhood) stage. A child grows up seeing his mum switch between two 'cultures', apparently, s/he believes that that's the way to life and go through life and sees no issue with that. Just before s/he goes outside to see loads of singular cultural homes, his/her mind, thoughts and outlook are already formed that dual 'cultural' lifestyle ain't no problem. No confusion, no wahala. (I'm a product of this, not through marriage but through environment - Yoruba growing up in an Igbo community).

I won't dwell extensive on the role of intertribal marriage in breaking the tides of tribalism...someone already did.

Look around marriages plagued by domestic violence and instability, are they all intertribal? You've not see a Yoruba man beating his Yoruba wife to stupor?

To get the conversation flowing, you might to be specific about your understanding of what culture is, that way, we'll all be on the same page.

Mind you, depending on the level of understanding of tribal couple (Igbo/Yoruba based in Lagos), they can decide to strictly call the child by an Igbo name, learn Igbo language first, get affiliate with the Igbo pattern at his earliest stage and of course learn the Yoruba pattern much later (not out of compulsion, but the prevailing environment is simply empowering to do that).

InterTribal all the way.........

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by OrdercityWeb: 5:03pm On Aug 23, 2017
tolajay:
Dear OrdercityWeb,

I see your quest to hold an intellectual conversation on this issue, howbeit, without considering the realistic points of sociology, culture and human existence. So, your position might only be academically relevant and nothing more.

You stated all your perceived reasons for why intertribal unions shouldn't be encouraged or established, with the preservation of culture and identity leading the pack. You, however, failed to state in specifics what you mean by identity and culture (at least for clear understanding by all). This is further expressed in your counters to other contributors' comment on the the evolution of culture and identity.

Let me ask you, what role does cultural affiliation play in the development, successes or failures of an individual - major, medium, minor? You referenced Solomon being a man of dual tribe/race, how did that contributed to his disadvantage, success or failure in life?

Now, who and what rule says that humans (an individual) should only have a single cultural leaning all of his/her life? The human mind is quite adaptive, especially, at its formative (childhood) stage. A child grows up seeing his mum switch between two 'cultures', apparently, s/he believes that that's the way to life and go through life and sees no issue with that. Just before s/he goes outside to see loads of singular cultural homes, his/her mind, thoughts and outlook are already formed that dual 'cultural' lifestyle ain't no problem. No confusion, no wahala. (I'm a product of this, not through marriage but through environment - Yoruba growing up in an Igbo community).

I won't dwell extensive on the role of intertribal marriage in breaking the tides of tribalism...someone already did.

Look around marriages plagued by domestic violence and instability, are they all intertribal? You've not see a Yoruba man beating his Yoruba wife to stupor?

To get the conversation flowing, you might to be specific about your understanding of what culture is, that way, we'll all be on the same page.

Mind you, depending on the level of understanding of tribal couple (Igbo/Yoruba based in Lagos), they can decide to strictly call the child by an Igbo name, learn Igbo language first, get affiliate with the Igbo pattern at his earliest stage and of course learn the Yoruba pattern much later (not out of compulsion, but the prevailing environment is simply empowering to do that).

InterTribal all the way.........

Thank you for your response @Tolajay

@ the first bolded portion of your comment, if we leave the REALITY of human existence, sociology and all are we then being realistic? I think we are rather being IDEALISTIC. That's like having an utopian society in our imagination where all things go as planned and in order.

@the second bolded portion of your reply, this the point i am making. What then is the identity of the child? i personally growing up learned about other cultures. we all do either directly in school or in directly on the streets.
BUT the question of who am i? Where am from? What are the values of my culture? are undisputed.Realistically if we keep encouraging intertribal marriage we are going to get to a point where we do not know or care about our idenity. A case in point is AFRICAN AMERICANS

@your other questions i think they have been answered in my repsonse to others on the thread. And if not its an idealistic rather than a realistic idea.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by OkunrinMeta: 11:50pm On Aug 23, 2017
;DInter tribal marriage should be euncouraged.

In fact, all IPOB members should marry bokoharam daughters and we can live peacefully ever after.

Or if we really want to retain our identities, every body should marry from their tribe state of origin Local government area families, yes families. That way, our identities will be permanent. angry angry grin cheesy grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by babyfaceafrica: 2:20pm On Aug 24, 2017
This OP sef..smh

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by OrdercityWeb: 6:58pm On Aug 24, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
This OP sef..smh
And what did i do oo?
Must we all share the same perspective? undecided
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by babyfaceafrica: 7:12pm On Aug 24, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

And what did i do oo?
Must we all share the same perspective? undecided
na only you waka come..no support

3 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by madridguy(m): 7:34pm On Aug 24, 2017
There is beauty in diversity. Ayam seriously looking for a beautiful Igbo girl to marry.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 24, 2017
In 100 - 200 years from now, we would have what we call a strong Nigerian culture. The ethnic groups are infusing into themselves because of we are now 1 country... which means that all ethnic groups go to the same schools, work in the same office, live in the same area... so even if they get married to themselves, the other factors are still going to dilute it.

OrdercityWeb:

**modified**

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

What I Noticed About My Uncle's Child / I Stood Up To My Father / Josiah Mutihir: Nigeria To Experience Unplanned COVID-19 Babies By November

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.