Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,811 members, 7,851,721 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:26 AM

Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? (28114 Views)

No Man Should Be Encouraged To Marry A Single Mother: A Response To Vyvyanvyvy / Do intertribal Marriages work? / Intertribal Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 10:38pm On Aug 24, 2017
tintingz:
Lol, if many Igbos were/are inter marrying with other tribes there won't be Biafra in the first place, there won't be civil war in the first place.

Yoruba and hausa crises? Did it escalate like northern people and eastern people?

Like someone said your nick name should be Dundee not Deedee.
Mumu! Have you forgotten about the mile 2 crises? Or the ijaw militants in arepo? Mumu!
My language is important to me. It is what make me unique

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Mujtahida: 10:39pm On Aug 24, 2017
deedeedee1:

Marry from your tribe and preserve your culture. Not everyone believe your one nigeria
Your views are your views. Insults which you started is what I object to. Delusions of oduduwa Republic has corroded your mind.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by codemaniacs: 10:41pm On Aug 24, 2017
kk

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Mujtahida: 10:42pm On Aug 24, 2017
tintingz:
So what do you call Lagos? Are there no people of another tribe in Lagos and all over Nigeria for example?

Isn't it apply to race? undecided

Interracial, intertribal are they not the same in definition?
Intertribal marriage and interracial marriages are not the same. Intertribal is a yes for me but inter racial a No
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by stagger: 10:43pm On Aug 24, 2017
OrdercityWeb:
I was having a discussion with a few friends yesterday. I told them emotions aside, intertribal marriages shouldn't be ENCOURAGED.
Why? To preserve our culture, our identity is in our culture. I know alot of products of intertribal marriages that are torn between the question of identity.
I once read where a lady from an intertribal marriage said her mom insisted she married her own tribe as against her dad's.
In many intertribal homes there is this cultural neutrality, and many times there's a power play on the kids among the two in-laws.
Even the bible doesn't encourage intertribal marriage, remeber the instructions Abraham gave to his servant and the fact that Jesus was sent to the jews ONLY initially.
Have you wondered why the Chinese and Koreans do not marry outside their race, why do you think there is that cultural cohesion and reverence with them anywhere they go.
My take is INTERTRIBAL MARRIAGES SHOULDN'T BE ENCOURAGED.
What's your take? Please be factual and intelligent DO NOT APPEAL TO EMOTIONS.

**modified**
Alot of people are saying "culture evolves". Yes cultures evolve. But fundamentals like identity remains same.
Culture evolves. Identity doesn't. The fact that the Yorubas believe they descended from Oduduwa is UNIQUE TO THEM ALONE AND CAN NEVER EVER EVOLVE.
THE MOMENT IT DOES WE HAVE LOST WHO WE ARE

You are talking complete nonsense. I am a product of an intertribal marriage and I am in one presently. If not anything, we have an assortment of languages being spoken in our house, making us all appreciate the diversity of our nation called Nigeria. I can proudly say I know the culture and traditions of my parents' tribes as well as my inlaws.

I have several aunties and uncles who married from other tribes. More than 10 Nigerian languages are in my extended family.
We do not need tribalistic bigots like you!

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 10:44pm On Aug 24, 2017
codemaniacs:

Kwara is not an example, Kwara is the way it is because the Fu:lanis attacked the Yorubas in Kwara who at the time were fighting the B:ritish in Lagos and fighting an intra-tribal war so the Yorubas fought on three fronts, the Yorubas realised the intra-ethnic war was pointless and decided to split and attack the f:ulanis, the f:ulanis were killed and were pushed out of Kwara and were almost over-run by the Yorubas but at that point the B:rits called a truce, and since they probably had better firepower and there were Yoruba traitors an agreement btw the f:ulanis and Yorubas was signed and the f:ulanis were allowed back into kwara by the b:ritish who installed an emir there because they wanted to make sure the Yorubas were subjugated..

the same thing repeated itself during the 1967 civil war but the b:ritish never called a truce because the two major southern Nigerian tribes were at war with each other... I still don't understand why the I:gbos stopped attacking the f:ulanis and started to attack the SW.. but the Yorubas over-ran the eastern region and then the british had successfully used the igbos to change the constitution and create disharmony btw southern Nigerian tribes and again installed a f:ulani president..

In summary, kwara happened because the people with better deadly weapons favoured a particular ethnic group and till today in each African country there is always a "favoured" ethnic group...

the b:ritish could have stopped the civil war but they didn't because the ethnic group they favored was no longer been attacked, remember the biafran currency was Pounds... so Biafra itself is a b:ritish creation so igbos can never be supported to attack the f:ulanis but the Yorubas..

Dumb post. False history. grin

Go and read how Afonja allied with the Fulanis to take over Alaafin.

The Fulanis were already settlers in kwara state not by war but hosted by Afonja.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 10:46pm On Aug 24, 2017
[s]
Mujtahida:

Your views are your views. Insults which you started is what I object to. Delusions of oduduwa Republic has corroded your mind.
[/s][s][/s]
Fucck off

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by stagger: 10:46pm On Aug 24, 2017
tintingz:
Dumb post. False history. grin

Go and read how Afonja allied with the Fulanis to take over Alaafin.

The Fulanis were already settlers in kwara state not by war but hosted by Afonja.

Abeg tell am. How Afonja conspired with the Fulanis to become Alaafin and his plan backfired on his head.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 10:47pm On Aug 24, 2017
Mujtahida:

Intertribal marriage and interracial marriages are not the same. Intertribal is a yes for me but inter tribal a No
They are the same in marriage institution, you are marrying outside from your clan.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 10:49pm On Aug 24, 2017
codemaniacs:

Kwara is not an example, Kwara is the way it is because the Fu:lanis attacked the Yorubas in Kwara who at the time were fighting the B:ritish in Lagos and fighting an intra-tribal war so the Yorubas fought on three fronts, the Yorubas realised the intra-ethnic war was pointless and decided to split and attack the f:ulanis, the f:ulanis were killed and were pushed out of Kwara and were almost over-run by the Yorubas but at that point the B:rits called a truce, and since they probably had better firepower and there were Yoruba traitors an agreement btw the f:ulanis and Yorubas was signed and the f:ulanis were allowed back into kwara by the b:ritish who installed an emir there because they wanted to make sure the Yorubas were subjugated..

the same thing repeated itself during the 1967 civil war but the b:ritish never called a truce because the two major southern Nigerian tribes were at war with each other... I still don't understand why the I:gbos stopped attacking the f:ulanis and started to attack the SW.. but the Yorubas over-ran the eastern region and then the british had successfully used the igbos to change the constitution and create disharmony btw southern Nigerian tribes and again installed a f:ulani president..

In summary, kwara happened because the people with better deadly weapons favoured a particular ethnic group and till today in each African country there is always a "favoured" ethnic group...

the b:ritish could have stopped the civil war but they didn't because the ethnic group they favored was no longer been attacked, remember the biafran currency was Pounds... so Biafra itself is a b:ritish creation so igbos can never be supported to attack the f:ulanis but the Yorubas..

I like that brain of yours

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 10:56pm On Aug 24, 2017
deedeedee1:

Mumu! Have you forgotten about the mile 2 crises? Or the ijaw militants in arepo? Mumu!
My language is important to me. It is what make me unique
Lol, are we hearing threatenings from any Yoruba terror group? Did it escalate?

The reason your language is unique is because it adopt, borrowed different languages, all languages borrowed from each other. Every language is unique the reason a Chinese man can't understand your Yoruba speaking. grin
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Aug 24, 2017
I have only one word to describe the op..."myopia"

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by codemaniacs: 10:59pm On Aug 24, 2017
kk

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 11:02pm On Aug 24, 2017
stagger:

Abeg tell am. How Afonja conspired with the Fulanis to become Alaafin and his plan backfired on his head.
Here is the history.

Historical sources, tracing the story to the 19th Century, said Ilorin of today was founded by Afonja, the then Aare Ona Kakanfo (Generalisimo) to Alaafin of old Oyo (Oyo Ile), who used the town as his military outpost. It was this outpost that he carried out his war expeditions for the Alaafin. In the usual nomadic wandering, Alimi arrived Ilorin and was hosted by Afonja. Soon after Alimi took Ilorin as his place of abode, a rift broke out between Alaafin and Afonja. When the disagreement reached the climax and the two had to take up arms, Afonja, out of regard for Alimi's spiritual and military prowess, sought his support. Alimi helped in mobilising an army in support of Afonja leading to victory over Alaafin. The defeat led the then Alaafin migrating from old Oyo to the site now called Oyo.

After the war, Alimi became a teacher to Afonja's children as the latter wanted his offsprings to learn the secret of power. When both died, Alimi's son, Abdulsalami, inherited his father's duty of teaching Afonja's children.

When the idea of appointing somebody to head the village came, the eldest child of Afonja wanted to have the position but met opposition from Abdulsalami who had military support from his fellow Fulani kinsmen. Abdulsalami ultimately became the ruler of what is now called Ilorin around 1831.

http://www.ilorin.info/fullnews.php?id=10472
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by codemaniacs: 11:04pm On Aug 24, 2017
kk

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Mujtahida: 11:04pm On Aug 24, 2017
codemaniacs:

you are a victim of "revised history"... the religion of b:lack people is sun worship...

the religion of Yorubas is not worship of Sango or Ogun but the worship of Olorun... In 95% of b:lack ethnic groups in Africa, the name of the sun and the name of god/goddess are the same... so all Africans knew the sun as god/goddess... till date people worship "the most high", the one that is the same today, yesterday and in future...

since I've been alive only the sun hasn't aged a day, only the sun is the highest point in the world, only the sun is omnipresent and only the sun will see the last day...
Hahahaha hahahaha @revised history. Are you familiar with the works of John Henrik Clarke and Professors Smalls and Ben Yochanan? I trust you are not extrapolating Egyptian ancient sun worship and recasting it in Yoruba religious mythology and by extension all of black Africa?. Where's the sun disc (emblem in most pagan sun worshipping cultures) in Yoruba religious graphics? Sango and Ogun godforms with votaries spread across Yoruba land(I think Prof Wole Soyinka is a votary of the cult of Ogun)
As an aside personally just like George Carlin once opined in one of his skits I'd rather worship the Sun like the ancients - more real and sensible to me.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by nextstep(m): 11:06pm On Aug 24, 2017
OrdercityWeb:
I was having a discussion with a few friends yesterday. I told them emotions aside,
intertribal marriages shouldn't be ENCOURAGED.

Why? To preserve our culture, our identity is in our culture. I know alot of products of intertribal marriages that are torn
between the question of identity.

I think it should be encouraged. We need a new Nigerian tribe that blends the best of the existing tribes. Tribalism has not
done any of us any good. Besides, even marrying from the same village does not mean inlaws will get along nor does it equate to marital
bliss. Some things are easier, some things are harder, but it's the same struggle.

OrdercityWeb:

Even the bible doesn't encourage intertribal marriage, remeber the instructions Abraham gave to his servant and the fact that Jesus
was sent to the jews ONLY initially.

So the events of 2000 years ago in one part of the world should be the basis of how we now conduct ourselves?

OrdercityWeb:

Have you wondered why the Chinese and Koreans do not marry outside their race, why do you think there is that cultural cohesion and
reverence with them anywhere they go.

China has 56 ethnic groups (look it up), though the Han makes up the absolute majority. UK for the most part has blended its multiple
tribes (English, Scots, Irish, Welsh). Multiple ethnicities have not held back the United States, Brazil, Malaysia, India, UK, and so on. But more to your point, if and when we had a single Nigerian ethnicity (which can only happen with lots of inter-tribal marriages), what you said about cultural cohesion will also apply. That's a plus.

OrdercityWeb:

Alot of people are saying "culture evolves". Yes cultures evolve. But fundamentals like identity remains same.
Culture evolves. Identity doesn't. The fact that the Yorubas believe they descended from Oduduwa is UNIQUE TO THEM ALONE AND CAN
NEVER EVER EVOLVE.

Identity also changes... there were people - ancestors of the people we now call Yoruba; they were not "Yoruba" in the current
sense because the myth of Yoruba originating from Oduduwa had to start at some point (it's not infinitely in the past). The
children of a new pan-Nigerian tribe will also be descended from Oduduwa, as well as other groups their parents come from, and will
thus still be unique - in their own generation.

Yoruba have been argued to have Egyptian heritage - and those people don't look like most modern Yoruba. I think it's OK to lose
who we WERE, and transition to being a new who we ARE. It's happened many many times in history, just that we don't have records.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Mujtahida: 11:10pm On Aug 24, 2017
tintingz:
They are the same in marriage institution, you are marrying outside from your clan.
Intertribal is when for example a yoruba man (a black man racially negroid) marries a Urhobo woman(still black race) interracial is when a Chinese (brown racially mongoloid) marries an ethnic Brit(causcasiod)
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by codemaniacs: 11:10pm On Aug 24, 2017
kk

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 11:11pm On Aug 24, 2017
codemaniacs:

do you think Afonja would have had the mind to attack the Alaafin if he wasn't backed by what he deem superior weapons... you should know that you don't go to war if you aren't more armed than the people you are about to attack..

Afonja is just one of the many Yoruba traitors within Yoruba Nation... there was also a b:ritish dude who called himself "Ajayee Krowther" whose mission was to make the Yorubas more peaceful and embrace schooling so that they(b:rits and f:ulanis) could over-run the Yoruba nation with ease...

but the Yorubas accepted the schooling and still kept their disdain for the b:rits and f:ulanis that's why today they always shout to never trust a Yoruba person..

they never intended to build schools for b:lack people but because it was difficult to penetrate the Yorubas they had to... so I'll tell you now don't be deceived when a Yoruba person says "wee are peace loving people" they are probably looking at you with side eyes waiting for you to f:uck up. grin grin
You have lost this argument already.

Ajayi crowther was a Nigerian took as slave by the British colonial, he became the first Anglican bishop in Nigeria.

Afonja was the are Ona kankafo(a chief general) to Alaafin of old Oyo empire. Afonja hosted the fulanis settlers.

Read:

Historical sources, tracing the story to the 19th Century, said Ilorin of today was founded by Afonja, the then Aare Ona Kakanfo (Generalisimo) to Alaafin of old Oyo (Oyo Ile), who used the town as his military outpost. It was this outpost that he carried out his war expeditions for the Alaafin. In the usual nomadic wandering, Alimi arrived Ilorin and was hosted by Afonja. Soon after Alimi took Ilorin as his place of abode, a rift broke out between Alaafin and Afonja. When the disagreement reached the climax and the two had to take up arms, Afonja, out of regard for Alimi's spiritual and military prowess, sought his support. Alimi helped in mobilising an army in support of Afonja leading to victory over Alaafin. The defeat led the then Alaafin migrating from old Oyo to the site now called Oyo.

After the war, Alimi became a teacher to Afonja's children as the latter wanted his offsprings to learn the secret of power. When both died, Alimi's son, Abdulsalami, inherited his father's duty of teaching Afonja's children.

When the idea of appointing somebody to head the village came, the eldest child of Afonja wanted to have the position but met opposition from Abdulsalami who had military support from his fellow Fulani kinsmen. Abdulsalami ultimately became the ruler of what is now called Ilorin around 1831.

http://www.ilorin.info/fullnews.php?id=10472
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Sweetliver(m): 11:11pm On Aug 24, 2017
I totally disagree with you,it should be encouraged. You spoke about Chineses and Koreans,they encouraged there people to inter marry with tall people to produce tall children. Even in the olden days, it was encouraged to settle disputes because one can kill their in laws. The merits out weigh the demerit..
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 11:13pm On Aug 24, 2017
Mujtahida:

Intertribal is when for example a yoruba man (a black man racially negroid) marries a Urhobo woman(still black race) interracial is when a Chinese (brown racially mongoloid) marries an ethnic Brit(causcasiod)
I know but the marriage institution are the same.

You're marrying outside from your type.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Rebuke: 11:14pm On Aug 24, 2017
Jxt a correction; the biblical example yhu gave is vry wrong.

The warning was for them not to marry unbelievers (idol worshipers).
Please, read yhur bible n pray for proper understanding.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 11:16pm On Aug 24, 2017
nextstep:

I think it should be encouraged. We need a new Nigerian tribe that blends the best of the existing tribes. Tribalism has not
done any of us any good. Besides, even marrying from the same village does not mean inlaws will get along nor does it equate to marital
bliss. Some things are easier, some things are harder, but it's the same struggle.

So the events of 2000 years ago in one part of the world should be the basis of how we now conduct ourselves?

China has 56 ethnic groups (look it up), though the Han makes up the absolute majority. UK for the most part has blended its multiple
tribes (English, Scots, Irish, Welsh). Multiple ethnicities have not held back the United States, Brazil, Malaysia, India, UK, and so on. But more to your point, if and when we had a single Nigerian ethnicity (which can only happen with lots of inter-tribal marriages), what you said about cultural cohesion will also apply. That's a plus.

Identity also changes... there were people - ancestors of the people we now call Yoruba; they were not "Yoruba" in the current
sense because the myth of Yoruba originating from Oduduwa had to start at some point (it's not infinitely in the past). The
children of a new pan-Nigerian tribe will also be descended from Oduduwa, as well as other groups their parents come from, and will
thus still be unique - in their own generation.

Yoruba have been argued to have Egyptian heritage - and those people don't look like most modern Yoruba. I think it's OK to lose
who we WERE, and transition to being a new who we ARE. It's happened many many times in history, just that we don't have records.
Thank you very much. cool
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Mujtahida: 11:41pm On Aug 24, 2017
codemaniacs:

you're reading from "revised history" what I used my mind to decipher.. you can use your mind and logic to decipher this things instead of been familiar with other people's works be familiar with the works of your own mind... they are only "experts" and "professors" because what you read on them described them as such and your mind believes it..

even if they professors and experts that doesn't mean you can't be better than them... do not limit yourself and your mind to other people's works because you can do so much more...
Nope @your first paragraph cos I figured out that human reason pointed out that it is sensible to worship the sun and that was why sun worship was prevalent among the ancients. What my mind reasons out is what I pursue in terms of an intellectual basis (books, studies, lectures ) to back it up. So I am familiar with my mind and very much so.
I opined in my first post that Yorubas worship Sango and Ogun. You said I am a victim of revised history. I asked you if you familiar with the works of John Henrik Clarke et al whose studies posit sun worship for the ancient Egyptian(akin to your assertion) yet you still write that I am reading revised history.
Notice I framed my observations as questions to you and you have not addressed any of the points I raised. Where is the sun disc(it's called Aten an aspect of the god Ra in Ancient Egyptian religion) in Yoruba relgiographics? I ask because in almost all sun worshipping ancient pagan religions from ancient Egypt, ancient India (the swastika as emblem of surya the sun god) through Greece to the Druids in Europe, Sioux in the Americas, the sun disc is usually graphically depicted in wood, stone and rock carving. So in such cases one is not merely told based on the workings of a person's mind but one can see through history and well documented proofs that the sun was worshipped in Egypt, in Greece, among the Druids etc Back up your sun worshipping claims by Yorubas. Dazzol
Is Oludumare same as the Sun?
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by manciti: 12:11am On Aug 25, 2017
menxer:
Yes. Don't forget inter tribal marriages were conducted to form and cement alliances and foster peace between warring tribes.

The idea was you won't go fighting and killing your in-laws, would you?

Secondly, to mingle and acquire good genetic traits.
For instance, if your tribe is not good in business marrying from a tribe that is known to be savvy in business will guarantee your descendants being business savvy.

what happen to igbos who married Hausa and yorubas before 1967 and were living in the north and west! were they no killed during nigeria genocide/ ethnic cleansing in the north and west?
the talk of inter-tribal marriage is bulshit, I will do anything to stop any of my family members from marrying from north and west, those guys are filled with hatred, evil and wickedness.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Trendings: 12:19am On Aug 25, 2017
deedeedee1:

Like I said before, he cannot. I have not seen or heard anybody in my family do that. We are all ethnically Yoruba. Raise your kids well.

You mean raise your kids with tribalism, you fücking swine!
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Mujtahida: 12:41am On Aug 25, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

What are you saying? Are you saying Chinese were colonized? There is nothing like Nigeria.
It is a British Utopia that is unrealistic. Even the founding fathers of the country reffered to Nigeria as merely a Geographical boundary.

Your point about Isreal intermarrying is flawed, were they allowed to marry non-isrealites?

Your reference to Chinese having different tribes still butresses my point, the YORUBA RACE is a NATION consisting of different 'ethinic groups', because they share the same values and culture so for you to use the fact that Chinese have different tribes is flawed.
You can't compare the Nigerian context with the Chinese. There is nothing like 'Nigeria' it is only a geographical location, I'm a YORUBA MAN.
Thats my root.
So what's your point?
When did modern Germany and Italy become nations? Since 506bc abi?You will be shocked to know when they achieved nation-statehood You don't know that nationhood is a process abi. Was it not Count Metternich that originally referred to Italy as a geographical expression? Is Italy a mere geographical expression today?

And you conflate without proper distinction terms like tribe, ethnic group, nation and race. That's why you wrongly used the Chinese and Koreans to back up your point without realising that they have tribes like we do and intermarry across the various tribes(but of course since they are of the same racial stock you would not notice just as a Chinese would not notice if you married an efik woman or even a Ghanaian)
Yoruba is not a race. Black or negroid is the race, yoruba, a tribal/ethnic marker. Even the Yoruba you have hugged to your chest and made your identity is a term for the peoples of the Oyo empire used by the Songhai scholar Ahmed Baba in the 16th century and it's usage was popularised by the Hausa and Arabic languages (and you are here mocking Nigeria. Sorry oo but I can't stop laughing at your pompous ignorance). Ajayi Crowther extended its usage as a generic term to cover the speakers of dialect related to Oyo. Prior to that time your forefathers were Ijebus, Ikales, Ondos, Okuns, Aworis, Ogho (Owo) etc.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Ugosample(m): 12:50am On Aug 25, 2017
OrdercityWeb:
I was having a discussion with a few friends yesterday. I told them emotions aside, intertribal marriages shouldn't be ENCOURAGED.
Why? To preserve our culture, our identity is in our culture. I know alot of products of intertribal marriages that are torn between the question of identity.
I once read where a lady from an intertribal marriage said her mom insisted she married her own tribe as against her dad's.
In many intertribal homes there is this cultural neutrality, and many times there's a power play on the kids among the two in-laws.
Even the bible doesn't encourage intertribal marriage, remeber the instructions Abraham gave to his servant and the fact that Jesus was sent to the jews ONLY initially.
Have you wondered why the Chinese and Koreans do not marry outside their race, why do you think there is that cultural cohesion and reverence with them anywhere they go.
My take is INTERTRIBAL MARRIAGES SHOULDN'T BE ENCOURAGED.
What's your take? Please be factual and intelligent DO NOT APPEAL TO EMOTIONS.

**modified**
Culture evolves. Identity doesn't. The fact that the Yorubas believe they descended from Oduduwa is UNIQUE TO THEM ALONE AND CAN NEVER EVER EVOLVE.

I think Inter ethnic marriages shouldn't be frowned upon, and it should be left as a choice, not as an obligation

It is your view that is the genesis of the problems of this world

Too much attachment to Cultural identity leads to a form of superiority complex and tribalism in the world, which has also led to genocides in the past (Nazi Germany and the Armenian genocide)

If they had in laws from there, they would have been less likely to commit genocide against them
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Ugosample(m): 12:51am On Aug 25, 2017
Mujtahida:

When did modern Germany and Italy become nations? Since 506bc abi?You will be shocked to know when they achieved nation-statehood You don't know that nationhood is a process abi. Was it not Count Metternich that originally referred to Italy as a geographical expression? Is Italy a mere geographical expression today?

And you conflate without proper distinction terms like tribe, ethnic group, nation and race. That's why you wrongly used the Chinese and Koreans to back up your point without realising that they have tribes like we do and intermarry across the various tribes(but of course since they are of the same racial stock you would not notice just as a Chinese would not notice if you married an efik woman or even a Ghanaian)
Yoruba is not a race. Black or negroid is the race, yoruba, a tribal/ethnic marker. Even the Yoruba you have hugged to your chest and made your identity is a term for the peoples of the Oyo empire used by the Songhai scholar Ahmed Baba in the 16th century and it's usage was popularised by the Hausa and Arabic languages (and you are here mocking Nigeria. Sorry oo but I can't stop laughing at your pompous ignorance). Prior to that time your forefathers were Ijebus, Ikales, Ondos, Okuns, Aworis, Ogho (Owo) etc. Ajayi Crowther extended its usage as a generic term to cover the speakers of dialect related to Oyo

Tell em!
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Ugosample(m): 12:53am On Aug 25, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

You are digressing. That's not my point.
What i mean by cultural preservation is THE VALUES OF A PEOPLE NOT THEIR TECHNOLOGY. Technology evolves.
BUT OUR VALUES NEVER CHANGES and if they are not passed down to the next generation they will become extinct.
Now you've not still answered the question of IDENTITY?
**modified**
I still don't see how technological advancement and change is caused by Intertribal marriages

That is not true
Cultures and values change over time

You think the Yoruba language and cultural shenanigans are the same today than they were say 230 years ago?
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Ugosample(m): 12:54am On Aug 25, 2017
tintingz:
The world is evolving and some ignorant, archaic people are still wallowing whether inter-tribal marriage should be encourage. SMH

How does marrying from your tribe, race add to economy or our daily life or make things better? and to think your culture will fade off, this is fallacy, your culture will only fade off if you don't teach your children your culture.

I will encourage inter-tribal marraige anytime, anywhere, it creates harmony between tribes, race than hatred, it promote culture. I won't promote tribalism supremacy like our ignorant archaic fathers did, the world has evolve from that mentality and people should evolve from this backward mentality.

I agree whole heartedly with this

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

What I Noticed About My Uncle's Child / I Stood Up To My Father / Josiah Mutihir: Nigeria To Experience Unplanned COVID-19 Babies By November

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.