Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,764 members, 7,851,608 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:34 AM

Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? (28102 Views)

No Man Should Be Encouraged To Marry A Single Mother: A Response To Vyvyanvyvy / Do intertribal Marriages work? / Intertribal Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Elf912: 10:01pm On Aug 24, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

The problem i have with people like you is you cherry pick the part that suits you and leave the aspect where you know you're wrong.
You just keep repeating yourself. And trying to say intertribal marriage doesn't mean culture will be lost.
But then you and i know realistically that's not true.
I don't have time for long passages. Just answer the question of identity.
Isn't our identity lost?
Are our values the same?
If we don't share common values doesn't that make us neutral.
P.s: if you keep up the cheery picking, repetition and long passges i would just have to end it here.
'Cos i believe I've made my point. Its your chkice now to face reality

Are you asking a question or trying to force your opinion down our throats? Please, marry your tribe and leave the rest of the world alone....heck, you can practice inbreeding if you like to preserve whatever it is you want to preserve... you have made your point and shared your beliefs.... obviously, identity is more important to you than happiness and peace.....that's yours....some of us, think otherwise.. . Personally, I'd prefer to be mixed race and I'd like my kids too to be....

3 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Mujtahida: 10:01pm On Aug 24, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

Thank you ooo.

The truth is all these people know but they're just avoiding REALITY. I didn't even say it shouldn't be allowed i said it shouldn't be "encouraged "
Let them keep living in an idealistic, politically correct imagination. As if all cultures share the same values, as if all cultures can mix.
The problem stems from the way you framed the topic of the thread-as if you were asking for other people's opinion though it turned out you only wanted to put yours across. I understand what you are saying but not because your arguments are unassailable. What you saying is that socio-cultural values, distinctiveness, richness and variety will be lost if we culturally merge through inter tribal marriage. However I feel Cultural diffusion and assimilation might prove a blessing for us since we are all a race and the truth is that's the trend as we speak. I do not support inter racial marriages though.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 10:02pm On Aug 24, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

Yes. Thank you!
It's only an ideal. It's unrealistic and its against the uniqueness of cultures around the world.
We don't need to intermarry to see others better. We can interact! Intertribal marriage CAN NEVER STOP racism or ethnic chauvinism so its only IDEALISTIC.

Thank you
Excellent writeup

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 10:02pm On Aug 24, 2017
deedeedee1:

Oloribu ni e. We are talking of ethnicity here
ethnicity, are different ethnic groups not intermarrying?

It is even more common.

You're confused oga. grin
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 10:04pm On Aug 24, 2017
Sagay212:

It does...it does because who ever inter marries gets to have a better understanding of the other tribes and can tolerate. You think inter tribal/religious wars would not have been worse especially in Nigeria if people didn't inter marry in terms of tribe/religion? You know the number of yourba/igbo marriages and christian/muslim marriages we have especially in Lagos, abuja? The cave man that quoted me was talking trash about the wife being attacked first if there is inter tribal war. So if as a yoruba man, he marries and igbo lady and there is inter tribal war, he will kill his wife and probably the children too? Inter tribal marriages reduces a lot of negative things aside from war. If you cannot marry someone outside your tribe, you should as well not do business with people outside your tribe or not eat food that is not of your tribe because you want to preserve culture. You want to preserve culture and you are not worshipping sango, ogun, amadioha and the rest, you want to preserve culture and you frown at the culture of aboki.s who marry underage girls and call it primitive, you frown at using humans for sacrifices, yet you do not know it used to be part of African culture.
No he will not kill her but other Yoruba people will. I detest intertribal marriage.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Rilwayne001: 10:06pm On Aug 24, 2017
tintingz:
One is ok but I want to follow your step, you be my oga. cheesy

ehmmm.... shocked shocked Oga for where?? Egbon, no put handcuff for my hands o.

grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by buffalowings: 10:06pm On Aug 24, 2017
hammerT:

You are a Yoruba man dat feel his women are ugly and hence looking for blood of other tribe to improve ur looks.

U will always be opposed to anyone that dont show support for ur interest.

Igbos dont want inter-tribal marriage, their is no need for dat.

HausaFulani dont want inter-tribal marriage, they are happy amongst themselves.

Wen this country eventually breaks which it will, Yorubas will be on the other side of the fence.

Wat den?

undecided what rubbish
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Cindy08: 10:07pm On Aug 24, 2017
menxer:

There is nothing like cultural preservation (Except in the sense of historical artifacts), culture changes and evolves are we do.

If we had insisted on using clay tablets to write because that was our cultural way of writing, do you think you would be typing on that device right now? though the device is a Samsung "tablet" it is not a clay "tablet." meaning we have evolved from the culture of using clay tablets to Samsung tablets.
good illustration
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by OrdercityWeb: 10:07pm On Aug 24, 2017
Mujtahida:

The problem problem stems from the way you framed the topic of the thread-as if you were asking for other people's opinion though it turned out you only wanted to put yours across. I understand what you are saying but not because your arguments were unassailable. What you saying is that socio-cultural values, distinctiveness, richness and variety will be lost if we culturally merge through inter tribal marriage. However I feel Cultural diffusion and assimilation might prove a blessing for us since we are all a race and the truth is that's the trend as we speak. I do not support inter racial marriages though.
Thank you!

That's wishful thinking sir. In reality you and i know it can't effect any serious change. Examples abound.

What we need is a change of mindset not 'intermarriage'.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by buffalowings: 10:08pm On Aug 24, 2017
Amakavula:

Chinese and Koreans are nationalities and not tribes. The reason you don't notice is because they left prejudice long behind and have intermarried to the point of complete assimilation.

Let me explain: The Chinese is not a tribe but are of various tribes: Hakka, Cantonese, teochuwu, Hainan , Tibetan, and many more. Japan : the hanito, ainu and Okinawa. The Koreans too. They intermarried and formed a super more general culture.

As someone rightly mentioned, culture evolves. The English of today is a mixture of Anglo-Saxons-Norman (part french, part Vikings). And that's is why Africans have remain underdeveloped.

Tightly holding on to aloofness between tribes Hinders connection, and a single national identity. Even Israel which of 12 tribes had to let go, and intermarried. The Levi forgo their special previleges and culture; as priests and minsters

I know it's painful, but certain part of our culture has to give way and upgrade. killing of twins, and killing of servants with a dead king was parts of our culture, weren't they?

Intermarriage is the way forward. to grow and cultivate a national identity we have to mix.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 10:08pm On Aug 24, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

Yes. Thank you!
It's only an ideal. It's unrealistic and its against the uniqueness of cultures around the world.
We don't need to intermarry to see others better. We can interact! Intertribal marriage CAN NEVER STOP racism or ethnic chauvinism so its only IDEALISTIC.

Thank you
inter-tribal marriage can reduce tribal war.

In Lagos a lot of people have intermarry, Lagos is less in tribal clash.

In the northern Nigeria they don't really inter-marry, you can see the results, while in kwara state hausas and Yorubas have inter-marry, tribal clash is low. In the east they don't really intermarry, you can see the result of Biafra.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 10:10pm On Aug 24, 2017
Bibidear:
Inter tribal marriage aint easy
i have two sis that married igbo and they are not finding it easy cos of the culture
dont think i can marry from other tribes
i prefer my yoruba brothers
We Iove you too

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by engineersax(m): 10:11pm On Aug 24, 2017
My opinion sha, this issue of protecting our cultural heritage should not b an issue for debate at all..when you talk of culture, it is not in our ideology to embrace Christianity cos we worshipped what our fore fathers want..culture herself is evolving, cos people are looking for better options in life now..
people are embracing intertribal marriage and is still working well..the fact that someone had a bitter experience should not make it total condemnation.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Mujtahida: 10:11pm On Aug 24, 2017
tintingz:
If you read my posts you will see where i said anybody is free to intermarry or not, anybody is free to practice any culture, religion, it is non of anybody business.

Where are in 21 century, we have evolve from many things but it is sad some people mentality still stuck to the ancient universe.
Ignore the nitwit. He is a Dundee number 1 like his moniker deedeedee1. Notice he is the only one going around cancelling people's lines because his empty brain cannot manufacture mature, robust responses.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by manciti: 10:11pm On Aug 24, 2017
yes it should be encourage BUT NOT with YORUBARS, HAUSA and FULANI'S

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by manciti: 10:12pm On Aug 24, 2017
yes it should be encourage BUT NOT with YORUBARS, HAUSA and FULANI'S. those guys are evil
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 10:13pm On Aug 24, 2017
tintingz:
inter-tribal marriage can reduce tribal war.

In Lagos a lot of people have intermarry, Lagos is less in tribal clash.

In the northern Nigeria they don't really inter-marry, you can see the results, while in kwara state hausas and Yorubas have inter-marry, tribal clash is low. In the east they don't really intermarry, you can see the result of Biafra.
You are too foolish and dumb! So people are crying for Biafra because they are not into intertribal marriages or because the country has taken people a million times backward? You are too dumb!
Don't yorubas and Hausa's intermarry? How come we had intertribal crises few montha ago

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 10:16pm On Aug 24, 2017
Mujtahida:

I am a nitwit. I am Dundee number 1 like my moniker mujtahida. Notice I am the only one going around cancelling people's lines because his empty brain cannot manufacture mature, robust responses.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by codemaniacs: 10:18pm On Aug 24, 2017
kk

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 10:21pm On Aug 24, 2017
oladele00:
Marriage, which is a Union between two mature adult has two types which are ; intermarriage and intra marriage. intra marriage is when an Igbo man marry an Igbo lady. Intermarriage on the other hand is when an Igbo man marry a Fulani lady. which am not sure will ever happen in this era.

culture is the total way of life of a group of people. My culture is different from yours, my tradition is different from yours, My mode of dressing is different from yours, A Yoruba lady will kneel down while greeting my papa and my mama, while an Hausa Lady sees it as a taboo. My papa and my mama likes our traditional foods and my wife can not cook it. My papa and my mama want my wife to dress as a typical Yoruba woman she said noooooo. When me and my relatives dey discuss for our local dialect, my wife go dey vex say na she we dey discuss. It is advisable to go for one that respect and value ur culture and ur people than going for the one that u don't know her culture at all. Some will argue that luv conquered all things, but to me, I bliv that having a problem free marriage is the best.. I tagged it as an unholy marriage. Am for intra marriage.
Sensible post. Marry from your tribe
Simple!

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 10:22pm On Aug 24, 2017
cgniyi:
I feel most people that still have a problem with intertribal marriage are not from Lagos.
I get irritated interacting with these type of people. Literally all my friends married outside their tribe. As long as the parents are not backwards thinking tribalists all should be good.
How do you know they are not from Lagos? Are you from Lagos or abia?

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Mujtahida: 10:23pm On Aug 24, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

Thank you!

That's wishful thinking sir. In reality you and i know it can't effect any serious change. Examples abound.

What we need is a change of mindset not 'intermarriage'.
It's not wishful thinking. Experience shows that those who come from inter tribal marriages even as some have testified on this thread are less prone to tribalism and ethnic bigotry.
And you have failed to answer the point as to how cultural factors like language, dressing and religion also lead to cultural diffusion. You are a Christian right? Is Christianity a historical religio - cultural value of the Yorubas going back at least 500 years ago? Are you ready alongside marrying a yoruba woman- in your bid to ensure cultural preservation- to also quit Christianity, embrace the worship of Sango or Ogun(as some do even as far away as Brazil) and totally give up Western values?

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by OrdercityWeb: 10:25pm On Aug 24, 2017
manciti:
yes it should be encourage BUT NOT with YORUBARS, HAUSA and FULANI'S. those guys are evil[

You see what I'm saying. Even without you marrying another tribe you already have this mindset so how do you think marryin another tribe will change this ethnic chauvinism that's so ingrained in you? undecided

Your first and second sentence is contradictory. You have no point. Why are you being selective?
You just proved my point right. This thing is a minset. Go and change your mindset and stop looking for intertribal marriage upandan undecided

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Nathan2016: 10:26pm On Aug 24, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

Please spare me! So you can't see those examples are exceptions. Don't you know there would always be exceptions.
Besides do you know how long they've stayed in America. They are virtually Americans now.
And it has nothing to do with being immigrants, Chinese and asian immigrants whenever they go are known to always keep their culture. That is why you have chinese villages, resturants and many more.
How many 'original' Chinese can you say the same of? Or Korean? It's rare. The examples you would find are those whose ancestors were immigrants and their offspring have integrated with the existing culture which is rare anyway.

You're not being factual and realistic, you're talking about identity? What identity do offspring of intermarriages claim?
You and I know from the many of such marriages that we know are mostly culturally neutral. The kids are neither here nor there. Infact in most of these homes they only speak English.

It is hard? What are you saying? The example i gave in the OP didn't you see that?
How does conquering tribalism have to do with intermarrying. You don't have to intermarry to be untribalistic. Many of these people you're talking about hold inner biases and prejudices against their tribes and sometimes pass it to their kids. So your point here is subjective.

That's not entirely true. I have said it before "Discouraging intertribal marriage has nothing to do with being tribalistic. Tribalism is a mindset and you don't have to intermarry to be unbiased. You just have to reason.

Please don't even go this direction. You're off the mark and have completely digressed. If you can't differentiate between Values and Technology then?

Culture evolves but value does not. Identity does not.
It's just like saying we all going to die but engaging in life threatening situations will hasten ones death. That's what intertribal marriage does.
All the problems you mentioned there is a problem of Western civilization.

Keep putting yourself in this bottle you called culture instead of making a meseum out of it. If you like marry from your own family or
marry your sister, because that is the only way to produce a pure bread of identity to me.

all these tribalist people that carries culture, identity, for head...

forgetting that no culture is actually pure.

abi christainity n muslim was a culture of your ancestors.
abi using phone or giving birth in the hospital was also a culture of your ancestor....

Looking at the coments, i just see you don,t have an open mind about the i inter tribal marriage, so no one can actually change it for you....
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 10:26pm On Aug 24, 2017
hollywater:
Marry Afonja women om your own risk. You will rat oil soup throughout your llife time. Their men are welcome to marry in igboland.
We no want una yam legged, hairy ibo women. We prefare our afonja women.
They are the best

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 10:27pm On Aug 24, 2017
deedeedee1:

Mumu! Yoruba people makeup over 65 percent of Lagos population. Is osun state 100 percent Yoruba? Are there no other tribes living there! Ode no e. I guess you are One of those eddiots that think IBO's makeup 40 percent of Lagos

Ofcus yorubas population is much in Lagos, but Lagos has the highest, heaviest immigrants.

You can't compare the immigrants in Osun to Lagos. Are you comparing Lagos population to that of Osun? How are you reasoning? undecided
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Mujtahida: 10:29pm On Aug 24, 2017
[quote author=deedeedee1 post=59798087][/quote] Deendeendeeree
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 10:33pm On Aug 24, 2017
wickyyolo:
OP is (1)tribalistic, even though he will deny it.
(2) he/she is a yoruba muslim
Because he does not support intertribal maeraige.? Are you not a tribalist byinsulting Muslims?
Ibo pig!

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 10:33pm On Aug 24, 2017
Mujtahida:

Deendeendeeree
Marry from your tribe and preserve your culture. Not everyone believe your one nigeria

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 10:34pm On Aug 24, 2017
deedeedee1:

You are too foolish and dumb! So people are crying for Biafra because they are not into intertribal marriages or because the country has taken people a million times backward? You are too dumb!
Don't yorubas and Hausa's intermarry? How come we had intertribal crises few montha ago
Lol, if many Igbos were/are inter marrying with other tribes there won't be Biafra in the first place, there won't be civil war in the first place.

Yoruba and hausa crises? Did it escalate like northern people and eastern people crisis?

Like someone said your nick name should be Dundee not Deedee. grin
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Mujtahida: 10:35pm On Aug 24, 2017
Amakavula:

Chinese and Koreans are nationalities and not tribes. The reason you don't notice is because they left prejudice long behind and have intermarried to the point of complete assimilation.

Let me explain: The Chinese is not a tribe but are of various tribes: Hakka, Cantonese, teochuwu, Hainan , Tibetan, and many more. Japan : the hanito, ainu and Okinawa. The Koreans too. They intermarried and formed a super more general culture.

As someone rightly mentioned, culture evolves. The English of today is a mixture of Anglo-Saxons-Norman (part french, part Vikings). And that's is why Africans have remain underdeveloped.

Tightly holding on to aloofness between tribes Hinders connection, and a single national identity. Even Israel which of 12 tribes had to let go, and intermarried. The Levi forgo their special previleges and culture; as priests and minsters

I know it's painful, but certain part of our culture has to give way and upgrade. killing of twins, and killing of servants with a dead king was parts of our culture, weren't they?

Intermarriage is the way forward. to grow and cultivate a national identity we have to mix.
As if, if you and I step out of Nigeria today any foreigner will be able to tell our differences even though we might not be from the same tribe.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Moneytize: 10:36pm On Aug 24, 2017
yohanpaul:
@OP. Please don't allow sentiments blind your judgement. Am a product of intermarriage and I stand to say with all pride that it's the best . My dad is from kaduna, my mum from Abia state. My elder sister married a Benue man ,my elder brother married from cross rivers, my immediate elder brother married from Delta and I married from Edo State. Your culture and identity still remains the same , you teach your kids about your traditions and your wife also, they will have a sense of belonging. Take for example , we all travel to the village every December with our families to celebrate Christmas. It's fun . I advise you to give it a trial . Thank me later.
Oboy, your family can start a country. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) / I Finally Helped My Birthgiver Get To The Hospital - TheGidRedpiller / What I Noticed About My Uncle's Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.