Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,404 members, 7,843,196 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? (28047 Views)

No Man Should Be Encouraged To Marry A Single Mother: A Response To Vyvyanvyvy / Do intertribal Marriages work? / Intertribal Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by jnrremedy(m): 8:46am On Aug 25, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

What are you saying? Are you saying Chinese were colonized? There is nothing like Nigeria.
It is a British Utopia that is unrealistic. Even the founding fathers of the country reffered to Nigeria as merely a Geographical boundary.

Your point about Isreal intermarrying is flawed, were they allowed to marry non-isrealites?

Your reference to Chinese having different tribes still butresses my point, the YORUBA RACE is a NATION consisting of different 'ethinic groups', because they share the same values and culture so for you to use the fact that Chinese have different tribes is flawed.
You can't compare the Nigerian context with the Chinese. There is nothing like 'Nigeria' it is only a geographical location, I'm a YORUBA MAN.
Thats my root.
So what's your point?

I was initially enjoying your arguments ( even though i did not share the same opinion with you) until u unconsciously started claiming your Yoruba heritage which is a typical sign of a racist/tribalist. even though u claimed in your initial post that ur opinions are not based on emotional or sentiments. You were almost successful in hinding that until your partner in crime came around( talking about deeee) and you threw caution into the air. You were unapologetically supporting his tribal and racist comments ( this gave u away that u are a racist and tribalist)

I was almost respecting your opinion and ideology ( don't confuse that with supporting or agreeing with u ooo) but I now know better. You are just another sentimental tribalistic homo sapiens that needs to be ignored and allowed to continue to wallow in ignorance.

I intentionally attacked your person not the topic of discussion cos of your hypocrisy and pride. You are the type that believe your opinion/ person is superior ( so evident in your line of thoughts and comments)

And before u also start judging me am a full fledge Yoruba boy

3 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Nobody: 9:09am On Aug 25, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

What are you saying? Are you saying Chinese were colonized? There is nothing like Nigeria.
It is a British Utopia that is unrealistic. Even the founding fathers of the country reffered to Nigeria as merely a Geographical boundary.

Your point about Isreal intermarrying is flawed, were they allowed to marry non-isrealites?

Your reference to Chinese having different tribes still butresses my point, the YORUBA RACE is a NATION consisting of different 'ethinic groups', because they share the same values and culture so for you to use the fact that Chinese have different tribes is flawed.
You can't compare the Nigerian context with the Chinese. There is nothing like 'Nigeria' it is only a geographical location, I'm a YORUBA MAN.
Thats my root.
So what's your point?

my point is your failure to see beyond tribal affiliation is clearly a big issue only you can solve for yourself.

Yes China was colonized more than four times.
first by the Manchus , then Mongolia, then Japan then among the Europe powers.

And yes, their present boundaries were determined by their colonizers; the Qing dynasty pretty much defined China.

And to your point about Israel marrying outsiders, they also have and still did but we're able to maintain cultural heritage. Moab, Samaritans, Ammoms, Edomites. Moses and Ruth are clear examples. Solomon?

But untimely it's down to preference, no one would force or is forcing you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Kaycee7(m): 9:27am On Aug 25, 2017
If you're so worried about identity being lost, you should also discourage emigration. Because lots of couples living outside of the country are from the same tribe. Yet, because most of them don't imbibe these cultures into their children, their children choose to identify with the country they're raised in. Who you marry doesn't matter. If you're interested in your kids identifying with ur tribe, then imbibe ur culture into them. Culture and identity are not passed down by genetics

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by omohanet(m): 10:37am On Aug 25, 2017
if its even possible I will say let an Hausa man marry an Igbo woman, so to curb dis everyday killing all in d name of tribe hatred. just my view oooo
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by menxer: 10:46am On Aug 25, 2017
manciti:

what happen to igbos who married Hausa and yorubas before 1967 and were living in the north and west! were they no killed during nigeria genocide/ ethnic cleansing in the north and west?
the talk of inter-tribal marriage is bulshit, I will do anything to stop any of my family members from marrying from north and west, those guys are filled with hatred, evil and wickedness.
Check history, most of the wives of King Solomon were a sign of allegiance, or alliance , is any Igbo lady given to the Sultan or Oni in marriage as a sign of allegiance or alliance?

@ bolded, is that not a sign of evil and wickedness on your part?
You can't solve a problem with same mentality that created it.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by OLUWASEUNOJS(m): 11:02am On Aug 25, 2017
@OP, Abraham directed his children to marry from believers family not really a tribe in that content.

He knows that Covenant God made with him could be jeopardize if they liaise with unbelievers.

Inter tribal marriage is not bad as you opined. However, marriage could thrive within and across boundary because, here we talk about LOVE and MATURITY.

Likewise, you must enlighten your parent on this, if you see LOVE or BEING IN LOVE which cross boundary, so they can reason with.
Name your wife, no your parent go wife am

LOVE DOES NOT KNOWS BOUNDARY.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by poweredcom(m): 12:16pm On Aug 25, 2017
for sure....there have been inter tribal marriage for centuries
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by MrBrownJay1(m): 2:32pm On Aug 25, 2017
deedeedee1:

Yeah! People like me. Say no to inter tribal marriage.
It is for the confused

as we can see, you guys are a minority, but fully entitled to your own opinion.
to each their own misery!
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 2:34pm On Aug 25, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

as we can see, you guys are a minority, but fully entitled to your own opinion. to each their own misery!
Whatever men. Just fucckk off!
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 2:37pm On Aug 25, 2017
OLUWASEUNOJS:
@OP, Abraham directed his children to marry from believers family not really a tribe in that content.

He knows that Covenant God made with him could be jeopardize if they liaise with unbelievers.

Inter tribal marriage is not bad as you opined. However, marriage could thrive within and across boundary because, here we talk about LOVE and MATURITY.

Likewise, you must enlighten your parent on this, if you see LOVE or BEING IN LOVE which cross boundary, so they can reason with.
Name your wife, no your parent go wife am

LOVE DOES NOT KNOWS BOUNDARY.
Ogbeni carry your religions bullshit from here. We are saying no to intertribal marraiges and you are preaching to us about love. No wonder we have high rate of divorce these days.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 2:43pm On Aug 25, 2017
jnrremedy:

I was initially enjoying your arguments ( even though i did not share the same opinion with you) until u unconsciously started claiming your Yoruba heritage which is a typical sign of a racist/tribalist. even though u claimed in your initial post that ur opinions are not based on emotional or sentiments. You were almost successful in hinding that until your partner in crime came around( talking about deeee) and you threw caution into the air. You were unapologetically supporting his tribal and racist comments ( this gave u away that u are a racist and tribalist)

I was almost respecting your opinion and ideology ( don't confuse that with supporting or agreeing with u ooo) but I now know better. You are just another sentimental tribalistic homo sapiens that needs to be ignored and allowed to continue to wallow in ignorance.

I intentionally attacked your person not the topic of discussion cos of your hypocrisy and pride. You are the type that believe your opinion/ person is superior ( so evident in your line of thoughts and comments)

Who da hell is this rat? Never in your life should you mention me again.
Omo irankiran
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by MrBrownJay1(m): 2:45pm On Aug 25, 2017
Kaycee7:
If you're so worried about identity being lost, you should also discourage emigration. Because lots of couples living outside of the country are from the same tribe. Yet, because most of them don't imbibe these cultures into their children, their children choose to identify with the country they're raised in. Who you marry doesn't matter. If you're interested in your kids identifying with ur tribe, then imbibe ur culture into them. Culture and identity are not passed down by genetics

well said!
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 2:45pm On Aug 25, 2017
Juliearth:
Yes! Especially between Afonjas and Igbos(laughs)
No! We dont want Igbos. Let Igbos marry themselves.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by MrBrownJay1(m): 2:50pm On Aug 25, 2017
deedeedee1:
Whatever men. Just fucckk off!

throwing insults over a simple discussion, i would be incline to thank god that you want to stay with your own kind. pls keep your poor mindset to your minority.

but as they say, when people have nothing INTELLIGENT to bring to a discussion, they start throwing childish insults.
have a beautiful day

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 2:53pm On Aug 25, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

throwing insults over a simple discussion, i would be incline to thank god that you want to stay with your own kind. pls keep your poor mindset to your minority.

but as they say, when people have nothing INTELLIGENT to bring to a discussion, they start throwing childish insults.
have a beautiful day
Where is the insult? Telling you to fucck off?
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 7:03pm On Aug 25, 2017
jnrremedy:

Lol, you're minding that tribalist supremacy. grin

This thread is dead and buried already.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 7:09pm On Aug 25, 2017
manciti:

what happen to igbos who married Hausa and yorubas before 1967 and were living in the north and west! were they no killed during nigeria genocide/ ethnic cleansing in the north and west?
the talk of inter-tribal marriage is bulshit, I will do anything to stop any of my family members from marrying from north and west, those guys are filled with hatred, evil and wickedness.
@bolded, This is exactly what I talked about in my previous posts, generalizing fallacious stereotypes, critics.

The op OrdercityWeb can now see people against inter tribal marriage are tribalistic.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by laudate: 11:52pm On Aug 25, 2017
OrdercityWeb:
I was having a discussion with a few friends yesterday. I told them emotions aside, intertribal marriages shouldn't be ENCOURAGED.
Why? To preserve our culture, our identity is in our culture. I know alot of products of intertribal marriages that are torn between the question of identity.
I once read where a lady from an intertribal marriage said her mom insisted she married her own tribe as against her dad's.
In many intertribal homes there is this cultural neutrality, and many times there's a power play on the kids among the two in-laws.
Even the bible doesn't encourage intertribal marriage, remeber the instructions Abraham gave to his servant and the fact that Jesus was sent to the jews ONLY initially.
Have you wondered why the Chinese and Koreans do not marry outside their race, why do you think there is that cultural cohesion and reverence with them anywhere they go.
My take is INTERTRIBAL MARRIAGES SHOULDN'T BE ENCOURAGED.
What's your take? Please be factual and intelligent DO NOT APPEAL TO EMOTIONS.

**modified**
Alot of people are saying "culture evolves". Yes cultures evolve. But fundamentals like identity remains same.
Culture evolves. Identity doesn't. The fact that the Yorubas believe they descended from Oduduwa is UNIQUE TO THEM ALONE AND CAN NEVER EVER EVOLVE.
THE MOMENT IT DOES WE HAVE LOST WHO WE ARE

You wrote this uncultured piece of balderdash? And you claim to be educated??! shocked Chisos!! sad
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by laudate: 11:55pm On Aug 25, 2017
tintingz:
The world is evolving and some ignorant, archaic people are still wallowing whether inter-tribal marriage should be encourage. SMH

How does marrying from your tribe, race add to economy or our daily life or make things better? and to think your culture will fade off, this is fallacy, your culture will only fade off if you don't teach your children your culture.

I will encourage inter-tribal marraige anytime, anywhere, it creates harmony between tribes, race than hatred, it promote culture. I won't promote tribalism supremacy like our ignorant archaic fathers did, the world has evolve from that mentality and people should evolve from this backward mentality.

Your post make sense, die!! cheesy I no know say you sef see am! I read the crap the OP wrote, and I almost puked! shocked

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by laudate: 12:12am On Aug 26, 2017
OrdercityWeb:
You're not being factual and realistic, you're talking about identity? What identity do offspring of intermarriages claim? You and I know from the many of such marriages that we know are mostly culturally neutral. The kids are neither here nor there. Infact in most of these homes they only speak English.
Oga, stop generalising. sad You have NOT visited the homes of every couple or family, that has an inter-tribal or inter-ethnic marriage. I know families where both parents are from the same tribe, yet their kids speak only English, especially in the West. undecided I have also seen families whose parents come from different ethnic groups, yet the children speak the different languages of both parents, perfectly. It all depends on what you teach your kids.

OrdercityWeb:
That's not entirely true. I have said it before "Discouraging intertribal marriage has nothing to do with being tribalistic. Tribalism is a mindset and you don't have to intermarry to be unbiased. You just have to reason.
You also need to apply clear reasoning and logic to your own thought processes. sad A tribalistic person would hardly ever (in fact, probably never even consider the thought!) marry outside his tribe. In fact, most tribalistic people consider 'ethnicity' or 'tribal similarities or differences,' as a major factor, in their selection of a spouse. A person who freely and willingly marries from a different tribe, is unlikely to be tribalistic, as such tribal differences are not likely to have played a major part in his choice of a spouse. undecided

OrdercityWeb:
That's not entirely true. I have said it before "Discouraging intertribal marriage has nothing to do with being tribalistic. Tribalism is a mindset and you don't have to intermarry to be unbiased. You just have to reason.
Again, you are wrong. shocked Tribalism does play a major role in discouraging inter-tribal marriages. angry Go and check! Talk to those who have experienced it.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by laudate: 12:34am On Aug 26, 2017
RexEmmyGee:
Oga if not for inter tribal marriage, some people from the east staying in the north would have been dead by now

Hehehe.... I don talk say I no go laugh today, but.. cheesy.

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by laudate: 12:37am On Aug 26, 2017
yohanpaul:
@OP. Please don't allow sentiments blind your judgement. Am a product of intermarriage and I stand to say with all pride that it's the best . My dad is from kaduna, my mum from Abia state. My elder sister married a Benue man ,my elder brother married from cross rivers, my immediate elder brother married from Delta and I married from Edo State. Your culture and identity still remains the same , you teach your kids about your traditions and your wife also, they will have a sense of belonging. Take for example , we all travel to the village every December with our families to celebrate Christmas. It's fun . I advise you to give it a trial . Thank me later.

Complete Nigerian!! cheesy Wait first, are you sure you are not related to any of my family members, sef?

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by laudate: 12:45am On Aug 26, 2017
OrdercityWeb:
At the bolded. Exactly!!@
The mother will now manipulate the children against their father's tribe. Those kids will now be lost or they will have a strong aversion for their father's people.
Let them keep deceiving themselves.
How exactly will the mother (who is already married to a man outside her tribe, o!) manipulate the children against their father's tribe? If she had issues with their father's tribe, why did she marry the father, in the first instance?? sad

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by laudate: 12:48am On Aug 26, 2017
deedeedee1:
Like I said before, he cannot. I have not seen or heard anybody in my family do that. We are all ethnically Yoruba. Raise your kids well.

You think so? Even Sango's wife was Nupe! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by laudate: 1:01am On Aug 26, 2017
stagger:
You are talking complete nonsense. I am a product of an intertribal marriage and I am in one presently. If not anything, we have an assortment of languages being spoken in our house, making us all appreciate the diversity of our nation. called Nigeria. I can proudly say I know the culture and traditions of my parents' tribes as well as my inlaws.

I have several aunties and uncles who married from other tribes. More than 10 Nigerian languages are in my extended family.
We do not need tribalistic bigots like you!

Your post make sense, die! cool Gimme one hi-five, biko! cheesy Wey my phone, make I call dat Yoruba chic wey I don dey chase since last year...?
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Itshsb: 1:48am On Aug 26, 2017
Yeah, I think they should be. I'm Hausa and Yoruba.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by OLUWASEUNOJS(m): 4:29am On Aug 26, 2017
deedeedee1:

Ogbeni carry your religions bullshit from here. We are saying no to intertribal marraiges and you are preaching to us about love. No wonder we have high rate of divorce these days.

My Religion Bulshit is everywhere that I go.

The Op spoke from Religion Perspective and I contributed from the angel as well.

I don't think Love can be seperated from Marriage.

I am not surprise by your comment, because people marry today based on proximity.

The same cultural background does not guarantee a successful marriage.

Next time, try to comment without bitterness.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by ApBlaze10: 4:58pm On Aug 26, 2017
Man is a social being. there is nothing to stop intertribal marriage. It would always be.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Transcendwonder: 11:48pm On Aug 26, 2017
Dont you think that if there are more inter tribal, even interracial marriages, the unity in diversity campaign might get a boost and we can begin to see ourselves as one human community?

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 10:26am On Aug 27, 2017
Kaycee7:
Nice post especially the bolded part.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Aug 30, 2017
You have been made a member of DAN
Mujtahida:

Too late before I realised that I was exchanging with a man with a very fertile but false imagination. Look at his monika again you will understand.

a) make posts to challenge tribal bigotry,

b) make posts to challenge agitation to breakup Nigeria,

c) like and share posts of other DANite and others from detribalised Nigerians .

d) Add to list of Danites detribalised and anti-breakup peeps.

e) Follow all listed Danites by clicking "follow" link on their profile page. You get to profile page go to url: Nairaland.com/moniker e.g. www.nairaland.com/genbuhari

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
illuminated93, Addy003, 9japrof, Ikhilor, GQman, neocortex, TheHistorian, Shaytun, sirjerry, WORDWORLD, amanda2013, wetinconsignme, freshest4live, ameri9ja, Okoroawusa, onward4life, Almaheed, genbuhari, Axeman2, lonelydora, LoveMachine, darkckUSA, mrdashing10, henitan24, caseless, amah91, obaamah, ediss, maximunimpact, anonynymous, maxiflexy, reel14, Clean2016, isalegan2, ilekokonit, xtianh, drabeey, jumper524, mrmystro, ahmed99, royaluc, dongreat, winterfell007, ajepako, afobear, nukualofa, quotasystem, nabiz, deleyi20, mujtahida, stagger, menxer
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Please copy this block of text and save it on your PC and then paste it to bottom of your posts.

Join our email list by emailing: wetinconsignme@asia.com as soon as possible .
If you want to become a Danite, indicate your interest and you would be added to list by an active established member.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name / Parent Pranks Son With Empty Pack Of Iphone 11 / I Stood Up To My Father

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.