Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,474 members, 7,861,372 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 10:57 AM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (94) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) (63543 Views)

Poll: Should Wenger Go After Yet Another Failed Season??

Yes: 44% (13 votes)
No: 55% (16 votes)
This poll has ended

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Sauron1: 6:56pm On Apr 22, 2010
deekaybee:

It really is amazing the amount of my, our and all the personal terms on this thread when these guys who play do not know a thing about you or give a shyte about you, imagine my my my my as if una even fit buy one of the shares you so eloquently talk about.

You are so foolish, a pubic louse has more intelligence than you do.

My membership/subscription pay the wages of Man Utd players.
So yes. . . . .I am entitled to say OUR, MY and any other schiznit you accuse me of. . . .
Anuofia!!!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by chic2pimp(m): 7:13pm On Apr 22, 2010
duduspace:

What do you expect, who no go like better club? when our lads play, women get the hibby jibbies. Don't be surprised when your woman start calling our players' names during your love making sessions. grin grin grin
May Amadioha Impregnate you with Octuplets grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 7:40pm On Apr 22, 2010
~Sauron~:

Platini can't do squat with United's debt.
The most important factor is the wage/turnover ratio and United are tremendously healthy in that statistics.
Our wage bill is just few millions higher than that of Arsenal and our turnover is almost twice as much as that of Arsenal.
United are healthier.
Na which kain mago mago maths be this?
net transfer spending, debt/value, wage bill, debt, everything negative parameter higher, how does that translate to being healthier?
the only place where you have better parameters is in trophies and that is ending soon.

~Sauron~:

Hargo played only 45 mins for the reserves this season - STOP LYING.
Yes, you will claim that 45 mins played by Hargreaves won the league for the Reserves - GAYnners and their ability to distort facts.
I'm not saying Hargo won it for you, but a competition where Drogba can play for Chelsea, Hargo for you or Sol Campbell for us doesn't give a true indication of the strength of youth players. It is only the academy league or youth cup that is age restricted that can give a clear indication of talent at that age level.

~Sauron~:

Lack of squad depth. . . . Reserves meant what it is. The spill over of the senior squad is the reserves.
The academy league squad is mainly under-18s. Na lack of squad depth dey worry una playing under 18s in the reserves.
Fact remains. . . . .Arsenal kids are yet to win the Southern Reserve League despite Wenger's retarded youth policy that has won nothing.
Anyone who rejoices over winning Reserve league has priorities misplaced in my opinion. The likes of Wilshere and JET are not even playing there and those are the ones who should be our reserves.

~Sauron~:

United are leading their academy league with 6 points.
If you pay attention to details like you claim, you will know that Liverpool and Blackburn are 6th and 8th respectively on the league table.
We churn out talents while Arsenal kids are duds - buncha unproven featherweights.

Ol'boy I never claimed anything o, if you came to that conclusion from my posts you might be grossly mistaken as I admitted to Debo yesterday that anyone can make errors at any time and that there is no harm in owning up to one. To be honest I haven't checked the Academy league tables lately but this was the snippet of news I was trying to recall from the Arsenal site which indicated a 3 way race for your group. I'm sorry I got the teams twisted, hope yu're happy now?

[Quote]
The opponent has not yet been determined, but Manchester United, West Brom and Everton are all in contention to win their group.
[/quote]

Its either I'm really growing old like that Babalawo who thinks himself a doctor suggests or he's already Jazzing me.

~Sauron~:

Stop distorting the facts, Man Utd were worth 800 million GBP before Malcolm Glazer purchased 28% of the stake held by McManus and Magnier.
They did not have 30% before the club was valued at 800 million GBP. These facts are not far-fetched. Stop pretending to be well-informed.
Now I think, we are closer to the truth but still some distance from it as you were claiming 700 befor, if Manure were worth 800m before Glazer bought the 2 Ms stake which was 28.7, which brought his holding to 57% means he already held about 29%. Also the valuation of a company and how much a particular individual pays to buy it are 2 different things. The Glazers takeover actually took 2 years and he could have bought some of the stock very cheap.

~Sauron~:

Whatz the difference?
U will have to pay FLY EMIRATES off to acquire the naming rights back. . . . .Bayern did the same with Allianz Arena.
Carrington however is still Carrington Complex and it's the media kicking up dust that United were about to shop the naming rights to Obasanjo.

That one na lie o, we don't have to pay anything back, its for a fixed time duration and we can change the name of our stadium back once that period of time expires except Emirates choose to renew.

~Sauron~:

The same debt has made us win 3 titles in a row, got us to 2 European finals in the last 4 seasons.
Wenger will owe $100 billion willingly to achieve what United have achieved under The Glazers.
A manager that is yet to successfully defend a league title and yet to win any trophy in Europe is a massive disgrace to his club/fans.

The word FAILURE should have Wenger's face printed beside it in the dictionary.  grin
Good for you, enjoy your trophies while they last, and stop complaining about the Glazer's debts, there is a price to pay for selling your soul to the devil even if it brings you much initial success.

~Sauron~:

Does the statement. . . . "The GBP fell to the Euro/USD During The Recession" makes any sense to you at all?
United's worth in dollars has changed in the last 12 months because of the fall of pounds but that is to ambiguous for you to understand.
What's the IQ of an average GAYnner?

And we are supposed to believe the person who wrote this is intelligent? did the fall of the GBP affect Manure alone? when did Arsenal move away from the UK and join the Eurozone?  undecided
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 7:48pm On Apr 22, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

@Dudu

I am as old as your child, so I dont need no adult education tongue tongue

somebody should have told u that u are just a little younger than Nigeria as a country yet u behave like some overgrown prat, I wonder why people still complain that the country has witnessed stagnation . . .nitwits like u are busy throwing yabis on NL when your mates like FASHOLA are busy making things happen tongue grin

at 43 years of age, you are the oldest here cos thats definitely AFRICAN AGE, U MUST BE 66 to be candid grin

get a life sir, abi auntie no dey gree give u some again ni ?

P.S Mukina our moderator is less than half your age . . .stop disgracing your family !!! grin grin

Speak to the hand my man, I wonder who is acting like an overgrown prat here. If you can't contribute anything meaningful go back to your midday slumber to rest your brain cells or your grandson might have to wipe the saliva drooling from your lips and chase the flies celebrating a belated easter on your lips.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Sauron1: 8:13pm On Apr 22, 2010
duduspace:

Na which kain mago mago maths be this?
net transfer spending, debt/value, wage bill, debt, everything negative parameter higher, how does that translate to being healthier?
the only place where you have better parameters is in trophies and that is ending soon.

We are healthier because we keep racking the income, we even snatch young talents from Wenger and we are winning TITLES.
Income wise, we are better than Arsenal. Revenue wise, we are better, Trophy-wise, we are better.
United's debt has nothing to do with the business on the pitch. We keep winning.

I'm not saying Hargo won it for you, but a competition where Drogba can play for Chelsea, Hargo for you or Sol Campbell for us doesn't give a true indication of the strength of youth players. It is only the academy league or youth cup that is age restricted that can give a clear indication of talent at that age level.

Eduardo & Campbell have played for Arsenal reserves.
It does not matter who plays where. It's not age-restricted. Arsenal should stop making all competitions age-grade.

Anyone who rejoices over winning Reserve league has priorities misplaced in my opinion. The likes of Wilshere and JET are not even playing there and those are the ones who should be our reserves.

United keep the winning tradition spinning from the senior level to the kids.
We are not like the Arses who have adapted to FAILURE. The senior members have won nada for 5 seasons.
The reserves are not better than Jibowu United FC and yet we keep hearing about Wenger's kids(what have they won ever since)?

Wilshere n JET don't play for your reserves just like Rafael and Johnny Evans don't play for United's reserves.

Now I think, we are closer to the truth but still some distance from it as you were claiming 700 befor, if Manure were worth 800m before Glazer bought the 2 Ms stake which was 28.7, which brought his holding to 57% means he already held about 29%. Also the valuation of a company and how much a particular individual pays to buy it are 2 different things. The Glazers takeover actually took 2 years and he could have bought some of the stock very cheap.

You are not intelligent. The Glazers bought some of the stock very cheap?
The most profitable global brand was bought very cheap? Do you smoke woolies?
The Glazers actually bought those shares quadruple/quintuple the market price to push their stake to a point where they can start a takeover.
I can provide articles if you are lost in the storm?

That one na lie o, we don't have to pay anything back, its for a fixed time duration and we can change the name of our stadium back once that period of time expires except Emirates choose to renew.

Fly Emirates own the stadium and they will continue to own until Wenger pays back all his debt to them.

Good for you, enjoy your trophies while they last, and stop complaining about the Glazer's debts, there is a price to pay for selling your soul to the devil even if it brings you much initial success.

Enjoy your TROPHYLESS seasons till RAPture.
Who's complaining about the Glazers? Have they affected the way United play or snatch talents all over the planet?
How did Wenger lose Smalling after tracking him for 18 months even with his debt-free policy?

And we are supposed to believe the person who wrote this is intelligent? did the fall of the GBP affect Manure alone? when did Arsenal move away from the UK and join the Eurozone?  undecided

What has Arsenal gotta do with this issue?
I was only replying a retard like you mixing up the numbers i quoted about United's worth 18 months ago and now.

The fact remains Arsenal will always follow United's foot-steps. We lead the way, Wenger only follows.
Until his fledglings win the league or a domestic trophy at senior level, Arsene Wenger is the definition of FAILURE.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Nobody: 9:31pm On Apr 22, 2010
@chicpimp
Just checking on Kitaun jare. grin cheesy grin
And of course to understand why Arsenal is such a marvelous team grin

@kitaun
do u realise that FL Gators hadnt been conceived when u had impregnated your landlord's daughter before running away from NAIJA ?
Excuse me? You do know that I'm same age as you sha undecided
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by DrKitaun(m): 10:16pm On Apr 22, 2010
^Exactly what I was telling the buroda odenson announcing to the whole world that he is 43. . .can u imagine such crap on d www?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Nobody: 10:38pm On Apr 22, 2010
O ti like eebu ju
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by kaypumpin2(m): 12:39am On Apr 23, 2010
Dudu and Kit,

You guys are bigger than this.

Dudu some of your assertions are far fetched.While i am not ready to start tearing some of your outlandish assertions apart,i think your conclusion that Szcheny shoould be brought back to the club to man the post for next season is asking for too much.Who will take us serious with an unproven and inexperienced 19 year old talent(no matter how prodigous) taking over from Vanilla Ice and Fabiaski.

Here's what some Brentford supporters have to say about the young Pole:

Les Beeavinu wrote:
He's a fantastic prospect who makes great saves but also makes mistakes. If he made them in the Premiership goldfish bowl, he would be classed, enormously unfairly, as another dodgy Arsenal keeper. I personally don't think he's ready for your first team, other than fleetingly. He needs more time to develop and I'd love it to be with us. He will be a top, top keeper though.

loyalbee wrote:
He's far more decisive and confident than your current crop but in the prem that could be his downfall if thrown in too early. He makes decisions and sticks to them - you won't find him kneeling down and getting lobbed like almunia. Personally i'd say his temper and distribution are his main flaws.

Les Beeavinu wrote:
No way can he be classed as a replacement for Almunia yet. He might make 3rd choice.

Simon C wrote:
He's a red card waiting to happen in the Prem IMO, his reactions against Colchester and Huddersfield were brilliant to see but won't go down well under the top 4 microscope. It would be a big mistake throwing him in now and you risk ruining someone who should be a top keeper in 3 or 4 years time.

Les Beeavinu wrote:
It really is quite simple - putting aside Arsenal for a moment, does anyone believe that any team can win the Premiership / Champions League (which is the level of Arsenal's ambition) with a 20 year old keeper? The answer has to be no.

We could win the Div 1 championship with one though.

Claire wrote:
He seems like he has his head screwed on. When he went through a spell of making a couple of mistakes he admitted that he needed to learn from his mistakes, and improve his game.
He also seems to have quite good positioning around the goal mouth. You have to be in the right position to make those saves.

As others have mentioned above. He is not ready for the premiership just yet, as he does need more experience. But definatly a top keeper in years to come.

holysmit wrote:
Brillant shot stopper, seems good on crosses some times and mis judges them others, his tempermant is the issue as he seems to get too wound up and keen at times, that will come with experience though and for that reason he needs at least another season playing football before he can be Arsenal number 1. IMO.

Enough said!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by DrKitaun(m): 12:58am On Apr 23, 2010
Kay

I drop my weapons of warfare, just cos of u . . .
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by biolabee(m): 7:57am On Apr 23, 2010
nice one kay

and Sauron Arsenal FC as last year had a higher turnover than ManU.
Also u declared an operating loss but had a profit due to player sales,
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 10:26am On Apr 23, 2010
I never had an issue with Dr Kit, every gooner is my brother even if we don't agree on issues. My take on life has always been that respect begets respect and I never go out of my way to disrespect anyone. If I've said anything disrespectful to you Egbon Kit, you have my unreserved apology.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 11:13am On Apr 23, 2010
@Kay

To be honest, I'm not demanding Szczesney be the next GK, that is definitely something for Arsene to decide but I go to Griffin Park forum (where those quotes have come from) after every match he plays and it is obvious they are more than satisfied with him, he did have a dodgy period but there was hardly a match where he didnt give them a wow moment, remember also that this is a club that was very much in a relegation battle before he came but is now comfortably safe in mid-table. In their season Man of the Match table he is about number 3.

As far as I'm concerned, most of the negatives they point to have to do with his age and the conservative belief that someone who just clocked 20 cannot keep for Arsenal, I just don't want us messing up with another massive talent, if the boy is good enough play him or he'll never iron out whatever deficiencies he's got. If you ask every Brentford supporter, they all want him back next season and that speaks volumes for someone who is not their player and initially when he came some of them went as far as saying that he was the best keeper for Brentford they had seen in 35 years.

The stakes are however high for us and Arsene next season as we must win something so I wouldn't be against going for another GK but if he doesn't play for us next season, then he has to go for at least an half season loan with a minimum mid-table club in the Championship he must not remain on the bench and become useless like Fabianski.  We are linked with the likes of Joe Hart now after his storming season for Birmingham but who knew him last season? If Arsene chooses to put his faith in Szczesney, I wouldn't be against it either as he is a massive talent who deserves to stake a claim for the gloves.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 11:43am On Apr 23, 2010
~Sauron~:

Eduardo & Campbell have played for Arsenal reserves.
It does not matter who plays where. It's not age-restricted. Arsenal should stop making all competitions age-grade.
Youth is not age restricted? undecided , I'm sure 100 year old youths exist only in your hood Sauron. The statement was who has the best youth presently and you're judging the best youth by performance in a reserve league where a 36 year old can play in I refuse to have this discussion, it is not worth it.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 11:56am On Apr 23, 2010
kay_pumpin:

Dudu some of your assertions are far fetched.While i am not ready to start tearing some of your outlandish assertions apart,i think your conclusion that Szcheny shoould be brought back to the club to man the post for next season is asking for too much.Who will take us serious with an unproven and inexperienced 19 year old talent(no matter how prodigous) taking over from Vanilla Ice and Fabiaski.

Seriously Kay, tear holes into it and lets have an healthy debate. I promise to stick to the points being discussed and not muddle up issues like Sauron.  grin grin grin If you show me how and why I'm wrong, I will hold up my hands and accept it and if not, we can always reach a compromise.
By the way, who will be at the emirates cup in August? Folly and Debo, I'll look forward to meeting up there.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by kaypumpin2(m): 1:04pm On Apr 23, 2010
Dudu and Kit,you guys are great.I hope Wenger will give us the cause to have less agrression to spare in the coming season.

It is obvious what the fundamental problem with our team is.Improve the squad with 4 quality signings(1 gk,1 cb(2 if Billie leaves),1 midfilder and 1 attacker) and we are nearly there. . . . .

While this season's meltdown can be attributed partly to injuries,i still look back at some games and feel we have no excuse dropping points.The games at Upton Park,St Andrews and JJB Stadium readily comes to mind.It is no coincidence that GKeeping errors have a MASSIVE role to play in all these games too.Isn't it surprising a club as great as Arsenal doesn't have a GK that can be termed top 10 in EPL? shocked Funny thing is none of our GKs can be flooged off to any club sef,no one will take them embarassed

Another thing is Wenger doesn't have a contigency plan.We pass,pass and pass till monotony and every of our  opponents knows how predictable we have become.I made a statement sometimes ago and i dare anyone to challenge me.Wenger is not a tactical coach but a coach that is good in spotting good players who he manages to the point that they become loyal to him and are ready to die for him.But if now he "refuses" to even get in the good players what gives?

Here is where we need instant improvement.

* We need grit/power when beautiful football doesn't work.
* Our set-pieces need to be taken serious as it seems there no training ground stuff in any of it.
* The lads(and i mean all of them) need to be taught the art of defending and pressing against the opponent.An element of this was shown in the early part of this season against Everton and Celtic but it faded as the season pans out.
*He needs the hair dryer treatment more often,It worked against Liverpool at Anfield and believe me it is a good development.Wenger seems to pamper his wards far too much and it's obvious in their disposition on the field.
*I have learnt from anatomical and physio stuffs from Arsenal injury woes than i have learnt in my entire sojourn to cop Human Anatomy B.sc in the Uni.Something has to be done about these injuries plus our next set of signings should be double-checked for injury worries.
*This squad needs to win something,anything for a winning aura to be commenced and eventually sustained.

I am not part of the Wenger must crowd but i feel he needs to get himself sorted too.He needs the hunger of SAF.

duduspace:

Seriously Kay, tear holes into it and lets have an healthy debate. I promise to stick to the points being discussed and not muddle up issues like Sauron.  grin grin grin If you show me how and why I'm wrong, I will hold up my hands and accept it and if not, we can always reach a compromise.
By the way, who will be at the emirates cup in August? Folly and Debo, I'll look forward to meeting up there.
I am a lazy typist and some of the points were made like 5-6 pages ago.I am too old for digging up post jare  grin  grin Not to worries,maybe we can meet during the Emirate cup(i pray i have a less tight schedule during this period) and then we can chat better.Love your optimism though,only that i do not share more than half of it. cool.And here is the reason why ;

I feel most of your assertions are based on hoping the other clubs drop their level of progression and improvement.Nothing here suggest for example that Abramnovich wouldn't do a major clear-out of his Chelsea,get the top of the bunch and compete at this level again.Same goes to Man U,Man City and to an extent Tottehnam.So why do you feel these present squad and its gaffer who's been known to capitulate when it matters and do agidi over transfers respectively wouldn't be found out next season?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by biolabee(m): 2:10pm On Apr 23, 2010
GBAM!!!

kay_pumpin:

While this season's meltdown can be attributed partly to injuries,i still look back at some games and feel we have no excuse dropping points.

Here is where we need instant improvement.

* We need grit/power when beautiful football doesn't work.
* Our set-pieces need to be taken serious as it seems there no training ground stuff in any of it.
* The lads(and i mean all of them) need to be taught the art of defending and pressing against the opponent.An element of this was shown in the early part of this season against Everton and Celtic but it faded as the season pans out.
*He needs the hair dryer treatment more often,It worked against Liverpool at Anfield and believe me it is a good development.Wenger seems to pamper his wards far too much and it's obvious in their disposition on the field.
*I have learnt from anatomical and physio stuffs from Arsenal injury woes than i have learnt in my entire sojourn to cop Human Anatomy B.sc in the Uni.Something has to be done about these injuries plus our next set of signings should be double-checked for injury worries.
*This squad needs to win something,anything for a winning aura to be commenced and eventually sustained.

I feel most of your assertions are based on hoping the other clubs drop their level of progression and improvement.Nothing here suggest for example that Abramnovich wouldn't do a major clear-out of his Chelsea,get the top of the bunch and compete at this level again.Same goes to Man U,Man City and to an extent Tottehnam.So why do you feel these present squad and its gaffer who's been known to capitulate when it matters and do agidi over transfers respectively wouldn't be found out next season?

Bros even if Chelsea and ManU do not reinforce as dudu expcets, this team will still crash at the final moment,
dudu over to you

Wenger & Gazidis : meeting and spending

By Myles Palmer

What will happen at Arsenal this summer?

The club has an old board, an old manager and a young squad.But Arsenal need a younger board, a younger manager, and an older team

While building a big new stadium, the club gave the manager far too much power.

Historically, Arsenal have craved stability as a club. They have never been relegated. And their main aim since 2005 has been to finish in the top four, rake in big money from the Champions League, and pay off the debt.

In January 2009 they hired Ivan Gazidis, a young CEO, to work under Wenger, since it had become Wenger's club.

Gazidis, 45, is a corporate lawyer who has never worked in a pressurised situation.

He helped to set up the MLS which has a salary cap of $2m per club and no promotion of relegation. The MLS had start from scratch, almost. They had to build stadiums, set up a refereeing network, work very hard for every ticket sold, and keep working hard to compete with NFL, the NBA, the NHL and baseball.

Then Gazidis came to Arsenal and found it was a one-man club. Wenger was a dictator surrounded by yes-men. He trained in Austria, would not tour, signed French and African players, as he did at Monaco, would not allow much access to his pampered babies, saw himself as the only manager who could develop young players, and could not imagine retiring until he had won the Champions League.

For a CEO, this situation is horrible. A CEO should be able to replace the coach.

I laughed when I read that Wenger and his advisors would sit down with Gazidis in the summer and talk about a new contract. He won’t sign a new contract this summer. I’ll bet my entire record collection, and including my Little Feat, Hendrix and Stones bootlegs, that he won't sign a new contract this summer.

Wenger isn't sure he’s up to it any more. His behaviour on the touchline has been worse than ever this season. There’s a bigger element of masochism now. He was furious at the players for throwing away a 2-0 lead at Wigan but he should be angry with himself because he knows all teams get injuries and every player on the pitch was his player. If pros are 2-0 up in 80 minutes they should win, not lose 3-2.

But I wasn't shocked, as some people were. Rob Hughes told me he was really shocked by Arsenal’s collapse. I wasn’t shocked or angry. I saw it and wrote it and forgot about it.

That is Wenger’s Arsenal : a brittle French team.

I was at the Emirates when the crowd were flying at 4-2 up against Spurs but Arsenal drew 4-4 and I wrote that season off right there. In the heat of the moment. Then I went home and calmed down and thought about it and wrote a piece saying : this season is over. This team cannot win anything this season. That was on October 30th, 2008. I wrote the season off on October 30. And I was proved right.

With Vermaelen out, I wasn't surprised they lost 3-2 at Wigan, a team in the relegation zone.

Clearly, Wenger makes a profit every year. The board value his ability to make a profit.

Will they offer him a new contract till 2014 because he makes a profit?

If they do, and he won’t commit, should they let him spend £30 million this summer?

Will he sign it before he goes to South Africa to cover the World Cup for French TV? If he did it would be the first time he has ever signed a contract in the summer.

I can't see him signing in the summer. He's 50-50, he doesn't know what he will do. He is very unlikely to own up, to admit his kids strategy is wrong. His seven Arsenal trophies were won by experienced players.

Deep down, Wenger wants to stay and pursue his ideas and prove us all wrong.

And I reckon the board will give him another year to fail. But they are very concerned that corporate boxes, Club Level and season ticket renewals might be sluggish. The 4,000-5,000 ticket-holders who don't turn up might just say : I don't need this any more, it’s too expensive, I don't rate this team, why should I bother if Wenger refuses to buy a class goalkeeper and three 25-year old players?

Ivan Gazidis won’t sit down with Wenger and insist : Buy a great goalkeeper. He won’t insist : Buy a star ! He won’t say : You needed Jack Wilshere at Wigan, Arsene. Why is he on loan at Bolton? Why was Merida on the pitch?

The meeting won’t be like that. We all know it won’t he like that. What will probably happen is this : Wenger won’t sign a new contract. He will see how next season is going in terms of results, crowds and corporate sales, see how he feels, and then, during the season, decide to stay or go.

In the longer term, Arsenal need to become a big club, rather than a club with a big turnover.

There is no mystery about how you become a big club. You don’t need the Boston Consulting Group to do a Strategic Review to tell you how to become a big club. You win trophies. Success makes you a big club. Finishing third and fourth does not make you a big club. Silverware and glory make you a big club. You need a team of winners, not a team of whingers. Achieve success with a team that knows how to win, the rest follows. Everything else follows from that : boxes, Club Level, big sponsorship deals, merchandise, shirt sales, DVDs, publicity, happiness, everything.

Obviously, a new star would generate massive shirt sales. A star is news - and news is free advertising.

Only Fabregas and Van Persie sell shirts.

Arsenal need a player big enough to sell replica shirts outside the UK.

Messi and Rooney do that. Torres and Cristiano do that.

When you come third, it's not exciting.

When you win, the world comes to you

http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/index.php?mact=News%2Ccntnt01%2Cdetail%2C0&cntnt01articleid=1577&cntnt01returnid=42&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ArsenalNewsReview+%28ANR%3A+Arsenal+News+Review%29&utm_content=FeedBurner
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by A40(m): 2:56pm On Apr 23, 2010
@Kay pumpin
You hit the nail on the head with a Tomahawk! That was a masterpiece

@Duduspace
Now i see why Dr Kit wan break bottle for your head! How can you even suggest Szecesny starts for us next season? Please remind us which league Brentford is and what are the quality of strikers at the disposal of that league. I have no qualms with him but let him hone his skills some more. Why is your darling Wenger so stingy? A good goalie is less than 8-10million pounds

@Biolabee
Interesting article though i am of the opinion that maybe just maybe Arsene has forgotten how to win titles. A trophy or two in this five year span even CC and i wonder who would have been crucifying Wenger by now? These are all his players so he has no excuse
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 3:01pm On Apr 23, 2010
Another reality check for those who are hung up on purported 'improvements'

Arsenal has conceded more goals this season than any other for NINE years - 61 goals in total.

Arsenal has lost 8 games - two more than last season (who knows how many more will be lost?)

We will be at best (if we win our three games) 8 points better off than last season, in a season where we supposedly made 'great improvements'?  undecided

If we have another season like this, no one in his right mind can say we are improving - if your performance on the pitch gets worse, it is only a matter of time before people start getting less interested in watching and vote with their feet.

Wenger should be allowed one more season - more of the same and he should leave gracefully.

While all of this is going on, Dudu says play Chesney so he can get rid of his mistakes while losing us games - the same policy that has so obviously helped Fabianski - from ruining our FA cup chances in January, he progressed to trying to ruin our CL chances and finally succeeded in ending our hopes for the premiership. We should just change the goalkeeper for a younger, more error prone one and repeat the cycle all over again.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Sauron1: 4:16pm On Apr 23, 2010
duduspace:

Youth is not age restricted? undecided , I'm sure 100 year old youths exist only in your hood Sauron. The statement was who has the best youth presently and you're judging the best youth by performance in a reserve league where a 36 year old can play in I refuse to have this discussion, it is not worth it

English Language seems not to be your forte.
I said the reserves league is not age restricted. . . . Drogba has played for Chelsea reserves before but how many times do we have senior players playing for the reserves? When they do, it is because they are using the games to gain match fitness or they are being punished.

Fact remains United's academy is the best in the land. . . . .They have won more, produced better players, have even produced Ballon d'Ors.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by dayokanu(m): 4:30pm On Apr 23, 2010

Arsenal has conceded more goals this season than any other for NINE years - 61 goals in total.

Arsenal has lost 8 games - two more than last season (who knows how many more will be lost?)

We will be at best (if we win our three games) 8 points better off than last season, in a season where we supposedly made 'great improvements'?

If we have another season like this, no one in his right mind can say we are improving - if your performance on the pitch gets worse, it is only a matter of time before people start getting less interested in watching and vote with their feet.

Wenger should be allowed one more season - more of the same and he should leave gracefully

Dudu sees the improvement. Check Gallas haircut 2 seasons ago vs now.

Eboues Makkosa steps last season vs now

Sagnas braids last season vs now.

IMPROVEMENT

Regardng wenGAY leaving, You are stuck with FAILURE wenGAY
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 5:01pm On Apr 23, 2010
biolabee:

GBAM!!!
Bros even if Chelsea and ManU do not reinforce as dudu expcets, this team will still crash at the final moment,
dudu over to you

Myles Palmer is a moaner and a very nationalistic (I no wan call am racist) individual so I couldn't care less about his ranting. He has no faith in Arsene and that is not in itself a bad thing, but he is one who specialises in throwing the baby out with the bath water. He is also one of the predominant re-writers of Arsenal's history claiming that Arsene has not improved the club since taking over an obvious lie.

I remember what he wrote when Gazidis first became CEO, claiming Kroenke had put his man in prior to taking over the club and that Arsene's days were numbered only to turn around now claiming that Gazidis has never worked in a pressure situation.

Yes, the manager's job is Arsene's to lose. The people who have been there all along know what that man has done for the club and wouldn't even brood the subject of him leaving. He will leave some day but the structures he has put in for the club will stand us in good stead. He is one of those who like Fergie have earned the right to call time on their career, there is a very good reason why his bust is in the club already.

He is right about one thing though, Arsenal as a club have a culture of sustainability and stability and not given to taking short cuts, that is why we are the only club to never have been out of the first division, Arsenal has entered the ranks of super clubs and is establishing itself within that cadre of clubs but being careful not to overextend itself in doing so and getting into trouble.

@Kay_pumpin
Most of my assertions are based on the clubs not having the financial advantage they had over us in the past for much longer, of course they will improve, Manure at least will do but I'm not sure about chelsea as they need some massive renewal in that club. Their policy of buying to win has not really paid off as expected, even after writing off debts already more than 500m GBP, they are still making losses of 70m GBP as at their last accounts, Abramovic is not a fool and there is a limit to how much money even a billionaire is willing to spend on an expensive toy.

Manure's debt will be their albatross, I'm not sure how much money their overlords will keep on putting in but they need to keep winning basically to even sustain the club and I know they cannot continue winning every year, this year will be an harbinger of seasons to come for Manure hopefully, we did not push them at all last season but we've done so this season and I do expect this team to even improve more next season, yes it might be due to CR7 and Tevez leaving but that quality of player costs a lot of money as they don't even have the time to bed in talent like Rooney and CR7 again. Selling CR7 and not keeping Tevez might still end up being their undoing as I can only imagine what  the effect of losing Rooney for just half a season would do to them.

With hind sight, even though I didn't accept it at the time, that Manure team with CR7, Rooney and Tevez was a great team, with a lot of match winners, you can only look at how well the players who departed went on to do at other clubs and compare it to our departed lot of Flamini, Adebayor and Hleb. That Arsene even made them push enough to be just 4 points off the leaders is a credit to the man.

But having said that, just looking at the combined total that lot cost manure, and comparing with how much we were spending per season at the time and yu'll know why we could never afford them at the time even though Arsene did want to buy CR7 before Manure hijacked the deal. I'm however salivating at the prospect of RVP/Bendtner/Chamakh next season and the future is looking very good already.

Your points as to where we need to improve are all spot on.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 5:13pm On Apr 23, 2010
dayokanu:

IMPROVEMENT

DK, haba leave us alone now, I go swear for you o. Can't you even find some time to bask in Bayern's performance for a while and give us time to lick our wounds? I tire for you o. Are you this vindictive? angry
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by dayokanu(m): 6:08pm On Apr 23, 2010
DK, haba leave us alone now, I go swear for you o. Can't you even find some time to bask in Bayern's performance for a while and give us time to lick our wounds? I tire for you o. Are you this vindictive?

I am just buttressing your point. I can see the IMPROVEMENTS like daylight. Anyone that cant see it is blind

Are those not something to celebrate? Even the dust in your trophy cabinet has increased. IMPROVEMENT!!!!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 6:12pm On Apr 23, 2010
debosky:

Now, I wasn't aware of this statistic. Very damning of our goalkeeping department which we all know was a let down this season.

debosky:

We will be at best (if we win our three games) 8 points better off than last season, in a season where we supposedly made 'great improvements'?  undecided

Very true Debo, but I frankly can't see us not being better next season

debosky:

While all of this is going on, Dudu says play Chesney so he can get rid of his mistakes while losing us games - the same policy that has so obviously helped Fabianski - from ruining our FA cup chances in January, he progressed to trying to ruin our CL chances and finally succeeded in ending our hopes for the premiership. We should just change the goalkeeper for a younger, more error prone one and repeat the cycle all over again.
You know this is not what I said Debo, I said I would play him but then I'm not in Arsene's shoes and next season isn't hanging on my neck. But we've got a massive talent on our hands who deserves a chance to prove himself and just to buttress my point, here is what Arsene said about him just today.

[Quote]

Wenger - Szczesny is our future No. 1
By Nick Teale

Wojciech Szczesny will be Arsenal's No. 1 in the future - that's the view of Arsène Wenger.

The 20-year-old has been on loan at Brentford since November and has earned many plaudits for his eye-catching performances for the Bees.

The keeper has made 24 appearances for the League One side and their manager Andy Scott has already been quoted as saying he wants to take the stopper on loan again next term.

But Szczesny himself has said he is determined to be the Gunners' No. 1 next term. Speaking at Friday's press conference, Wenger asserted his belief that the youngster will wear the Arsenal gloves in the future, though maybe not next season.

"It is reasonable to have the ambition to be No 1 here next season," said the manager. "I believe he is doing extremely well.

"I believe one day he will be the No 1 at Arsenal certainly. But we will see next season. It is down to his performances.

"But you want as well some experience at our level. You cannot only go with young goalkeepers."

[/quote]

In all honesty, if Cesc were only just breaking into the first team now would you play him as a 17 year old like Arsene did then if we had been this trophy starved at that time? but didn't the boy prove he was good enough?
The only reason I can think of for not giving Szczesney the gloves next season is to protect him because there is just so much hanging on the season, it might be unfair to put it on an untested youngster's neck.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by eldee(m): 6:12pm On Apr 23, 2010
dayokanu:

IMPROVEMENT

You're sumn else grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 8:37pm On Apr 23, 2010
duduspace:

You know this is not what I said Debo, I said I would play him but then I'm not in Arsene's shoes and next season isn't hanging on my neck. But we've got a massive talent on our hands who deserves a chance to prove himself and just to buttress my point, here is what Arsene said about him just today.

In all honesty, if Cesc were only just breaking into the first team now would you play him as a 17 year old like Arsene did then if we had been this trophy starved at that time? but didn't the boy prove he was good enough?
The only reason I can think of for not giving Szczesney the gloves next season is to protect him because there is just so much hanging on the season, it might be unfair to put it on an untested youngster's neck.

There are some things you DON'T experiment with - one of them being your goalkeeper. That role can easily ruin everything a team has tried to achieve, so with due respect the comparison with Cesc is highly misplaced. If Cesc wasn't producing creatively, you still had Ljunberg, Pires or Henry who could create on the off day.

If your goalkeeper is still trying to get his head straight, you can't rely on Clichy to man the posts, and with our overwhelming defensive weaknesses generally accepted, Arsenal CANNOT afford to experiment in the goal keeping position. The trophies we've won have been won by using tried and tested goalies - Seaman and Lehmann, not brining in a wet behind the ears youngster and throwing him on the big stage.

The only goalie of note to have done that is Casillas, and that is a very obvious exception. The likes of Akinfeev have been hailed as the next big thing in goal keepers, yet he's still learning his trade at CSKA - it would be unreasonable to expect him to land at a big club and become number 1 just like that - it's not done.

For Chesney to have any chance, Wenger must get rid of at least one of the current set. Based on performances, Fabianski should be the one to leave.

If I had my way, get rid of Fabianski, get quality goalie to come in as number one and place Almunia on FA cup and CC duty. Almunia has flaws no doubt, but is a far better and more experienced goalie than Fabianski. As far as I'm concerned, Chesney won't even get a look in for another 2-3 years at the least and should be loaned out to other teams till then. Mannone should remain third choice as he has had mostly competent performances this season despite his rawness.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 9:24pm On Apr 23, 2010
@Debo

If Iker did it, there is no reason why Szczesney can't do it, he is that massive a talent in my opinion and deserves his chance. However, it is Arsene's call and I do admit the stakes are very high.
The lad is very impatient and I like his spirit, quotes from his recent interview.
[Quote]
"I proved that I can play with senior squad and that I can play twice a week. If I get my chance from the Boss [Arsene Wenger], I will try to take it. I feel ready, to play in Arsenal right now. I'm not saying that next season I will be Arsenal number one, but I'm saying I want to fight for that spot. I wouldn't fall short psychologically. And whether I am good enough we'll see in pre-season. I never played at that level, so in order to see how I will behave, I would have to get a chance. After adventure with Brentford I know, that it benefits you more to play at lower level than to sit on the bench in a big club. No 2 does not satisfy me and I don't want it. I want to play. If I can't do taht in Arsernal, I will look for a loan. I have an offer from Leeds and Watford. It all depends on Wenger's approval, but I don't think he should make any problems. I will definitely stay in England. No other country offers so many chances for promotion.
[/quote]

Quite an interesting character.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 9:46pm On Apr 23, 2010
duduspace:

@Debo

If Iker did it, there is no reason why Szczesney can't do it, he is that massive a talent in my opinion and deserves his chance. However, it is Arsene's call and I do admit the stakes are very high.

There is EVERY reason - Iker's case is a MASSIVE exception, given the obvious failings we have seen at this club when we over rely on youth too early, we CANNOT afford to take another risk. Three dodgy keepers is more than any club can stomach, not to talk of the other inconsistent performers we have in other parts of the team.

What you've claimed is the same as saying 'if Messi did it there is no reason why Wilshere can't do it' - is it that easy to make casual comparisons to world greats?

We have NO REASON to put Chesney ahead of those there now - we ALWAYS hear that our players are 'massive talents', even when they come up and screw up badly so pardon me if I am not as trusting of those assessments.

Fabianski is also a 'massive talent' we are led to believe, yet we see what he's done to us this season. For his own sake I hope he doesn't do himself more damage in tomorrow's game.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Sauron1: 10:07pm On Apr 23, 2010
So who is Arsene Wenger buying this summer?
I heard him boasting he is now ready to compete with Chelsea in the transfer market. cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 10:09pm On Apr 23, 2010
~Sauron~:

So who is Arsene Wenger buying this summer?
I heard him boasting he is now ready to compete with Chelsea in the transfer market. cheesy

He is buying a new linguist - he needs new words to use apart from young, maturity, sharpness, playing with the handbrake on, potential, etc. grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Sauron1: 10:14pm On Apr 23, 2010
debosky:

He is buying a new linguist - he needs new words to use apart from young, maturity, sharpness, playing with the handbrake on, potential, etc. grin

You can fill that role perfectly. . . .Afterall, you invented grammar. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) ... (100)

Jay Jay Okocha Vs Ronaldino: Who Is The Better Dribbler? / Liverpool Vs Manchester City: Community Shield (1(4) - (5) 1) On 4th Aug. 2019 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Forever Reds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.