Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,277 members, 7,836,243 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (96) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) (62814 Views)

Poll: Should Wenger Go After Yet Another Failed Season??

Yes: 44% (13 votes)
No: 55% (16 votes)
This poll has ended

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by slimshay(m): 1:04pm On Apr 26, 2010
well well well, . . . . .o ti ya, it is silly season.

Meanwhile Goal reporting we are upping Fab's pay. Intent to keep the performers? We shall see.

Suara and him mumuish Shawcross comments again. I guess the players pf teh EPL must be drugged to vote Verm into the team of the season.

Its the ARSENAL!!! Gunners never run, gunners been fighting all their lives. Na here we dey.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by eldee(m): 1:07pm On Apr 26, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

lol !!!

You know what's really funny, at the end of last season . . . this same thing was happening on the old Gunners' Thread.
You were the one playing the new Debosky role . . . he was busy doing a Duduspace grin grin

This is dejavu grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 1:43pm On Apr 26, 2010
eldee:

You know what's really funny, at the end of last season . . . this same thing was happening on the old Gunners' Thread.
You were the one playing the new Debosky role . . . he was busy doing a Duduspace grin grin

This is dejavu grin grin

I resent that - I have never done a Duduspace. tongue

I've never been content with 4th, BUT given we had finally bought someone of some experience in Arshavin, I felt there was a chance Wenger was beginning to realise his flaws and correct them. My hope for this season was based on two clear indicators - a need to buy in the summer wisely (which didn't happen bar Vermaelen) and then making sure we made buys in the winter to fire us over the finish line in the same way Arshavin helped us make it to 4th. When the two requirements were not met, I obviously will be acerbic in my condemnation.

Kit on the other hand likes wasting time discussing metaphysical bunkum like how Silvestre's former life as a tiger is giving us bad luck since Arsenal's karma is that of a lion. grin

I discuss facts and issues while Kit is always speaking like nostradamus high on ganja. grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Sauron1: 1:57pm On Apr 26, 2010
slimshay:

Suara and him mumuish Shawcross comments again. I guess the players pf teh EPL must be drugged to vote Verm into the team of the season.
Its the ARSENAL!!! Gunners never run, gunners been fighting all their lives. Na here we dey.

Vermaelen flattered to deceive. . . . .He had an outstanding first half of the season - i must agree but so did Dunne and those Brum defenders.
TV5's 2nd half of the season was atrocious. He kept making school boy errors and he was part of the reason Arsenal didn't land the distance.

Read this PIECE

debosky:

Kit on the other hand likes wasting time discussing metaphysical bunkum like how Silvestre's former life as a tiger is giving us bad luck since Arsenal's karma is that of a lion. grin

I discuss facts and issues while Kit is always speaking like nostradamus high on ganja. grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 5:04pm On Apr 26, 2010
debosky:

I resent that - I have never done a Duduspace. tongue

I've never been content with 4th, BUT given we had finally bought someone of some experience in Arshavin, I felt there was a chance Wenger was beginning to realise his flaws and correct them. My hope for this season was based on two clear indicators - a need to buy in the summer wisely (which didn't happen bar Vermaelen) .

You misrepresent me Debo, nowhere have I ever been content with 4th, only that with what we've put in compared to the others, we're about where we should be.
Besides we aren't 4th by the way, as at the last time I looked at the table we were 3rd and I don't think I need to go to specsavers. tongue

Our system is one that requires considerable time to bear fruit and we didn't get the balance right this season with the injury jinx not helping matters in any way, going forwards is a different matter entirely, I won't be content with anything less than a top 2 finish next season and maybe one of the domestic cups. I will also look forward to a minimum quarter final UCL and possible semi final appearance dependng on who we draw.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 5:25pm On Apr 26, 2010
debosky:

What prophecy? They will simply promote to meet the 8 man rule, but if they sell e.g. Belletti they can replace him with a foreigner as long as they've met the quota requirements. Unlike us, they will likely win a league and cup double this season and will be far better able to attract big talents than a club that perennially seems to be content with coming 4th. Nateevs has been screaming for those players to join the first team anyways, so its not really a surprise.

What you fail to realise is that trophies have continue to exert big pull as well, and the longer we fail to win, the lower that pull becomes. Even the ones we develop will inevitably be tempted elsewhere with our abysmal win rate.

The most crucial part is this - once EVERY club is forced to take on more youths, then our 'unique' attractiveness of giving youth a chance will be gone, in addition to the fact that the other teams (Chelski and United) continue to pay better wages AND win trophies. After that what will we be left with?

Oh I forgot - we will be 'sustainable'. undecided

Give credit where it is due, I pointed it out on here that Chelsea and Manure cannot afford to continue to spend the way they have and the rule was one of the reasons I stated that anyway but even apart from the rule, Chelsea's moves in the transfer market at the beginning of this window had already pointed to the emerging trend in purchase of players. For example, since Manure has sold off CR7, they haven't breached the 20m ceiling or brought in any marquee player.

Yes Chelsea and the others will promote but do you really think the youth they promote are of the quality we promote? would you compare the big game experience the likes of Wilshere, Traore, Vela, Theo, Denilson and co have gained to these new lads being promoted into their squads? even despite those we have in house, we have another 15 U21 players out on loan gaining experience and making impact in the Championship and League 1 and foreign leagues.

I tell you this and I've followed youth football since the likes of Bendtner and Lupoli were tearing the reserves apart in 04/05, no club in the PL has the quality Arsenal have got coming through the ranks. In another club, someone like Wilshere would be in the reserves and not fighting for points week in week out. Someone like Eastmond will likely go on loan next season while one or both of JET and Lansbury will be brought back for squad depth with the experience they've gained.

Don't be deceived by Sturridge's goal against Stoke, it is much easier scoring those kinds of goals when yu're being brought on with no real pressure on you to deliver and with your team already 4-0 up and full of the likes of Drogba and Ballack who have been there numerous times before than when you are tasked with running a midfield by yourself at less than 18 years of age as Cesc and Ramsey have been. The playing field is being levelled as we speak and I look forward to next season.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 5:37pm On Apr 26, 2010
duduspace:

Give credit where it is due, I pointed it out on here that Chelsea and Manure cannot afford to continue to spend the way they have and the rule was one of the reasons I stated that anyway but even apart from the rule, Chelsea's moves in the transfer market at the beginning of this window had already pointed to the emerging trend in purchase of players. For example, since Manure has sold off CR7, they haven't breached the 20m ceiling or brought in any marquee player.

Bollocks dude - we won't know if any 'prophecy' has come true till after the summer. Utd still spent for next season in January, so what are you going on about? If Chelski wins the title, they will be fully justified in that they didn't need to buy to win. Chelski is not usually a big buyer in January anyways, so you can't tell much.

Chelski had no need to buy, if they could go without Essien and Bosingwa virtually all season and still do this well, buying is not really their problem. They have sufficient experience and can afford to begin to blend, while we have no choice but to throw youngsters in the fire where their inevitable mistakes (with no one to learn from) lead to us dropping points like they are going out of business.

Yes Chelsea and the others will promote but do you really think the youth they promote are of the quality we promote? would you compare the big game experience the likes of Wilshere, Traore, Vela, Theo, Denilson and co have gained to these new lads being promoted into their squads? even despite those we have in house, we have another 15 U21 players out on loan gaining experience and making impact in the Championship and League 1 and foreign leagues.

The players simply have to be promoted to the SQUAD, they don't necessarily need to play. What you miss out is while we might arguably have 'better' youth to promote, they have an overwhelmingly better first team squad to blend with, and will likely progress faster than our youth.

I tell you this and I've followed youth football since the likes of Bendtner and Lupoli were tearing the reserves apart in 04/05, no club in the PL has the quality Arsenal have got coming through the ranks. In another club, someone like Wilshere would be in the reserves and not fighting for points week in week out. Someone like Eastmond will likely go on loan next season while one or both of JET and Lansbury will be brought back for squad depth with the experience they've gained.

Good example - kindly tell us where Lupoli is 'tearing' up now. If you point to Wilshere, Chelski can point to Mancinenne and DiSanto as well, so again the gap isn't as big as you imagine. Eastmond will not go on loan - he's played EPL games while JET and Lansbury have barely done so.

Don't be deceived by Sturridge's goal against Stoke, it is much easier scoring those kinds of goals when yu're being brought on with no real pressure on you to deliver and with your team already 4-0 up and full of the likes of Drogba and Ballack who have been there numerous times before. The playing field is being levelled as we speak and I look forward to next season.

Indeed - how many goals have our 'young' players come on to score? The fact is, BECAUSE they have experience to learn from, those youth will develop faster than Arsenal players who have few or no one to look up to.

The playing field is being levelled indeed - Chelski barely bought last season, didn't bring anyone in January and had Bosingwa, Essien and others injured for virtually the whole season yet are 8 points ahead of us with a massively greater goal difference. If that is levelling I won't want to see the case where they actually get better than us.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 5:44pm On Apr 26, 2010
duduspace:

You misrepresent me Debo, nowhere have I ever been content with 4th, only that with what we've put in compared to the others, we're about where we should be.

Ol boy don't play semantics. You are content with where we are because we are 'sustainable' and have spent less than others - we have 'overachieved' according to you so you are obviously content. As far as you're concerned, its the long term sustainability not the 'short term' trophies that matter - you've said as much so it's a tad late to start revising that now. Your most enlightening comment was that you've 'made your peace' (i.e. content) about where we are right now.

Besides we aren't 4th by the way, as at the last time I looked at the table we were 3rd and I don't think I need to go to specsavers.  tongue

Oh right, we are 3rd. Another exemplar of the 'over-achievement' you have so clearly trumpeted. Barely better points total than last season and we've 'improved' despite our ouster earlier in the other cup competitions. Falling behind in two areas and a marginal improvement in one. Again, rehashing well told tales - let me not bother.

Our system is one that requires considerable time to bear fruit and we didn't get the balance right this season with the injury jinx not helping matters in any way, going forwards is a different matter entirely, I won't be content with anything less than a top 2 finish next season and maybe one of the domestic cups. I will also look forward to a minimum quarter final UCL and possible semi final appearance dependng on who we draw.

'Considerable time' meaning anything from 1 - 20 years to bear fruition. You're the same guy who said a few pages back that the team should win in the next TWO seasons and you're not content with where we are?  For a team to be hoping others can't improve for us to succeed is highly pitiful, compared to the times when we locked horns with the BEST and took pride in knocking them down.

But hey, we are now 'sustainable' (as if we were broke and bankrupt before this happened) and we have the best young players who will never win anything at the club. (I am sure this will be called another misrepresentation)
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Sauron1: 5:44pm On Apr 26, 2010
duduspace:

What difference does this make?
Whether you buy a player for £50 million or you bought 4 players for £50 million , the fact remains £50 million was spent.
Since the sale of Ronaldo. .United have bought Obertan(£3 million), Valencia(£16 million), Smalling(£10 million), Hernandez(£10 million) and Diouf(£4 million).

Does that look like a club that is suffering from cash?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 5:47pm On Apr 26, 2010
I don't know why Dudu likes imagining these 'ceilings'. Even without 'breaching' the ceiling, they've brought in Valencia, arguably better and more consistent than any Winger at Arsenal. They've spent £50m to secure their future and we're dilly dallying claiming we are sustainable and are the best.

I don't even know why it matters about a 'marquee' player - was CR7 'marquee' when he was bought?

Apart from Berbatov, who are the 'marquee' players they've bought (not loaned like Tevez) in the past 3 seasons?

Yet they have won 3 trophies on the bounce. Vidic didn't cost £10m, neither did Evra.

Nani is developing himself into a real classy player, and he didn't breach the imaginary £20m band either, neither did Gibson who is getting better by the day.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by dayokanu(m): 6:15pm On Apr 26, 2010
I am just passing by o and I havent said anything just yet.

Assanal would still win a trophy this season since they have the easiest run in.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 6:20pm On Apr 26, 2010
debosky:

Bollocks dude - we won't know if any 'prophecy' has come true till after the summer. Utd still spent for next season in January, so what are you going on about? If Chelski wins the title, they will be fully justified in that they didn't need to buy to win. Chelski is not usually a big buyer in January anyways, so you can't tell much.
Stop mixing issues Debo, no one is talking of winning titles now, that is an issue we've flogged already. the issue right now is about spending. If Chelsea wins the title, yes they would have deserved it considering what they've spent in the past and it would be a deseved last hurrah for that team IMO. But can they go an spending as they have with Abramovic needing to write off another 500m in about 3 years time? I don't think so, infact I say a capital NO.

debosky:

Chelski had no need to buy, if they could go without Essien and Bosingwa virtually all season and still do this well, buying is not really their problem. They have sufficient experience and can afford to begin to blend, while we have no choice but to throw youngsters in the fire where their inevitable mistakes (with no one to learn from) lead to us dropping points like they are going out of business.
it wasn't looking like that however when they came 3rd after Liverpool in the league last season, fair enough, they didn't need to buy because what they needed was already in but wasn't what they needed already in when they still went ahead to shell out on Schevchenko? In my opinion, there is still a shift in spending, lets wait till summer and compare notes again, though I'm sure you still won't own up then.

debosky:

The players simply have to be promoted to the SQUAD, they don't necessarily need to play. What you miss out is while we might arguably have 'better' youth to promote, they have an overwhelmingly better first team squad to blend with, and will likely progress faster than our youth.
True enough, they can be promoted into the squad without playing, but what if they have a lenghty injury list like we've had atimes this season with about 6-8 first teamers out for an extended period? won't these young players have to play? and this is something not totally unlikely for a squad with close to 50% of them being over 30.

debosky:

Good example - kindly tell us where Lupoli is 'tearing' up now. If you point to Wilshere, Chelski can point to Mancinenne and DiSanto as well, so again the gap isn't as big as you imagine. Eastmond will not go on loan - he's played EPL games while JET and Lansbury have barely done so.
Lupoli didnt have his head screwed on right and lost his way, he might find his way back as Jose Antonio Reyes is these days. Not all youngsters make it through (just like in any other endeavour of life) but the Arsenal youth system can hold its head high relative to others in the PL and even out of it. In the 5 years between 2005 and now Cesc, Song, Denilson, Clichy, Bendtner have all made the transition from talented teenagers brought in to the club under 18 to first team members and others like Traore, Gibbs, Vela, Theo are poised to make that transition in the next few years.

What makes you think Eastmond won't go on loan? the fact that he's played first team football is no guarantee he won't go on loan. Lansbury is a highly rated one who has been going out on loan often and Arsene has said he should be competing for a first team place next season with the experience he's gained. With JET's stellar performances in Doncaster, he has also staked a claim for a shirt next season. The chances of Eastmond going out on loan next season are very high, I would rate those 2 ahead of him right now.

debosky:

Indeed - how many goals have our 'young' players come on to score? The fact is, BECAUSE they have experience to learn from, those youth will develop faster than Arsenal players who have few or no one to look up to.

The playing field is being levelled indeed - Chelski barely bought last season, didn't bring anyone in January and had Bosingwa, Essien and others injured for virtually the whole season yet are 8 points ahead of us with a massively greater goal difference. If that is levelling I won't want to see the case where they actually get better than us.

Lots of goals in fact, only that in the despondence of not winning trophies this is all soon forgotten. Vela got quite a number last season and Theo has gotten a good number even this season but people are quick to forget that Sturridge infact is only 6 months younger than Theo and Vela.
While Chelsea had their fair share of injuries, you can't compare it in any way to ours. By the time we played Wigan, the only first choice players (in their positions) on the pitch were the full backs and Diaby.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 6:41pm On Apr 26, 2010
debosky:

I don't know why Dudu likes imagining these 'ceilings'. Even without 'breaching' the ceiling, they've brought in Valencia, arguably better and more consistent than any Winger at Arsenal. They've spent £50m to secure their future and we're dilly dallying claiming we are sustainable and are the best.
I don't even know why it matters about a 'marquee' player - was CR7 'marquee' when he was bought?

Apart from Berbatov, who are the 'marquee' players they've bought (not loaned like Tevez) in the past 3 seasons?

Yet they have won 3 trophies on the bounce. Vidic didn't cost £10m, neither did Evra.

Nani is developing himself into a real classy player, and he didn't breach the imaginary £20m band either, neither did Gibson who is getting better by the day.

I'm not going into how good or how bad the players bought have been, but there has definitely been a shift in Manure's spending, they bought Hargo for close to 20m and Carrick for close to 19m. And please stop mentioning Gibson as someone who is getting better by the day, that Chap is the same age as Song and Fabregas but would you change him for any of those 2?

Nani and Anderson were bought for 15m each at 19 and 21 years old and have taken time to come good 2 years later, can Arsenal afford to have playing staff worth 30m warming the benches?

Its the strength in depth these teams have built up in the past they are still depending on, cue Schole's last minute header at City or Gigg's impressive season. We are building our strength in depth within our youth and it will definitely pay us going forwards, we will definitely make the breakthrough very soon.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 7:03pm On Apr 26, 2010
duduspace:

Stop mixing issues Debo, no one is talking of winning titles now, that is an issue we've flogged already. the issue right now is about spending. If Chelsea wins the title, yes they would have deserved it considering what they've spent in the past and it would be a deseved last hurrah for that team IMO. But can they go an spending as they have with Abramovic needing to write off another 500m in about 3 years time? I don't think so, infact I say a capital NO.

It is all about trophies dude - you continue to miss that point. Why did Abramovich spend? For the fun of it?

it wasn't looking like that however when they came 3rd after Liverpool in the league last season, fair enough, they didn't need to buy because what they needed was already in but wasn't what they needed already in when they still went ahead to shell out on Schevchenko? In my opinion, there is still a shift in spending, lets wait till summer and compare notes again, though I'm sure you still won't own up then.

They came third because Scolari messed them up - in the second half of the season, they were excellent, so there was no panic to buy players because many of the players assumed over it showed peerless form in the second half of the season, which if matched in the first half would've led to a better turn of events.

True enough, they can be promoted into the squad without playing, but what if they have a lenghty injury list like we've had atimes this season with about 6-8 first teamers out for an extended period? won't these young players have to play? and this is something not totally unlikely for a squad with close to 50% of them being over 30.

Even if that is the case, for them to survive NOW with Ashley, Essien, Bosingwa and Carvalho missing, they'd do ok. Kalou isn't over thirty, neither is Zhirkov or the others who have come in and done the business when needed this season.

In the 5 years between 2005 and now Cesc, Song, Denilson, Clichy, Bendtner have all made the transition from talented teenagers brought in to the club under 18 to first team members and others like Traore, Gibbs, Vela, Theo are poised to make that transition in the next few years.

Refer to my previous post on endless transitions - by the time the finishing items are transitioning, the first set will either be gone or over the hill.

What makes you think Eastmond won't go on loan? the fact that he's played first team football is no guarantee he won't go on loan. Lansbury is a highly rated one who has been going out on loan often and Arsene has said he should be competing for a first team place next season with the experience he's gained. With JET's stellar performances in Doncaster, he has also staked a claim for a shirt next season. The chances of Eastmond going out on loan next season are very high, I would rate those 2 ahead of him right now.

Matter of opinion really - I won't get into a lengthy debate over this.

Lots of goals in fact, only that in the despondence of not winning trophies this is all soon forgotten. Vela got quite a number last season and Theo has gotten a good number even this season but people are quick to forget that Sturridge infact is only 6 months younger than Theo and Vela.
While Chelsea had their fair share of injuries, you can't compare it in any way to ours. By the time we played Wigan, the only first choice players (in their positions) on the pitch were the full backs and Diaby.

Stop mentioning Theo as a 'youngster' - he has spent long enough at the club to be commanding a starting shirt and be expected to perform. He cannot be compared to people like Sturridge who have barely been given an opportunity.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Sauron1: 7:08pm On Apr 26, 2010
duduspace:

I'm not going into how good or how bad the players bought have been, but there has definitely been a shift in Manure's spending,  they bought Hargo for close to 20m and Carrick for close to 19m.

Carrick was bought for 18 million. . . .The only signing United copped in 2006/7.
It was in 2007/8 United bought Hargreaves - stop distorting the facts to suit your selfish wet dreams.
Hargo and Carrick were not bought in the same transfer windown.

And please stop mentioning Gibson as someone who is getting better by the day, that Chap is the same age as Song and Fabregas but would you change him for any of those 2?

The difference between Gibson and Cesc/Song is the lack of opportunities. . . . . .
Before Pique left United, many peops thunk he was average until they started seeing him doing the shifts at Barcelona.
Give Gibson match appearances in a run of 20 league games and he will show his worth. . . . .

Nani and Anderson were bought for 15m each at 19 and 21 years old and have taken time to come good 2 years later, can Arsenal afford to have playing staff worth 30m warming the benches?

The same Nani/Anderson that copped MOTM performances against Arsenal in their debut seasons?
Are you high on cheap drugs?

Its the strength in depth these teams have built up in the past they are still depending on, cue Schole's last minute header at City or Gigg's impressive season. We are building our strength in depth within our youth and it will definitely pay us going forwards, we will definitely make the breakthrough very soon.

Who asked Wenger to sell good players like Gilberto, Pires and Ljunberg prematurely?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 7:14pm On Apr 26, 2010
duduspace:

I'm not going into how good or how bad the players bought have been, but there has definitely been a shift in Manure's spending,  they bought Hargo for close to 20m and Carrick for close to 19m. And please stop mentioning Gibson as someone who is getting better by the day, that Chap is the same age as Song and Fabregas but would you change him for any of those 2?

Why not go into how good or bad players have been? Or are players purchased on a whim and not for performances?? It is of UTMOST importance to discuss the quality of the buys - if they spent 30m on a player that will give 15 years performance and we spend 15m on a player that will give 5 years performance, they have spent their money better. But again, the 'total spent' is what matters to you.

Song and Fabregas are our first choices Gibson is not for Utd so stop comparing apples and oranges. I would prefer having Gibson as a back up (someone with the balls to grab a CL quarter final by the scruff of the neck) than a powderpuff Denilson. While you are hung up on age, you are comparing players who are our mainstays with an upcoming player better than our upcoming players. Lets even set Gibson aside, what about Fletcher who is virtually home grown now? Yet we are the ones who develop players. undecided

Ah - back to the old broke assertion. We are too poor to afford talent on our bench. Anyways, before you go off on your sustainability tangent again, the issue was that these guys are NOT marquee players, YET Utd keep making these buys and making them into marquee players. In short, the 'shift' you are talking about is bollocks, because Utd has spent £16m on Valencia and turned him into virtually the best right winger in the league. Yet we are claiming there is a shift? There is a shift alright - while Utd might be 'spending less' they are STILL churning out these lower spend players into world class talent while we are abysmal in the transfer market, claiming to be building youth.

Scholes and Giggs were 'built up' since 94/95 -  15 years ago it is a disgrace for Wenger to lack the same type of players with longevity despite having been in the job longer than anyone else except Fergie. We had players that could be kept to fill in crucial gaps like Gilberto, but silly stubbornness has put us in a position that Wenger has to 'resign' washed up players like Silvestre from other clubs when we had talent like Gilberto in our own side but failed to keep him - another abysmal failure of Wenger's man management.

I guess we must now wait 15 years from 2005 (when the re-building began) to be able to dominate the way Utd is doing. 2020 here I come. undecided
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by biolabee(m): 7:25pm On Apr 26, 2010
duduspace:

Arsenal Team against Wigan

Lukasz Fabianski
Bacary Sagna
Sol Campbell
Mikael Silvestre
Gael Clichy
Craig Eastmond
Tomas Rosicky
Samir Nasri
Abou Diaby
Theo Walcott
Nicklas Bendtner

I did not know when Nasri, Bendtner and Walcott were no more first choice players for Arsenal lets even excuse Rosicky
dudu stop spewing, the team has perfomed poorly compared to the last term though we increased in position with a more rabid pack of Sp*rs,Citeh and Villa on our tail like never before, and with the reorganisation of Liverpool on the ranks. There might be a major shakeup of the Top 4 next season

If you are talking of tweaking, the first team off the mark is ManU. This is a team that still is in the reckoning despite losing Tevez n CR7
They just need a GK, a striker and a creative midfielder and off they go

We all know what we need but will the man buy undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 7:28pm On Apr 26, 2010
~Sauron~:

Carrick was bought for 18 million. . . .The only signing United copped in 2006/7.
It was in 2007/8 United bought Hargreaves - stop distorting the facts to suit your selfish wet dreams.
Hargo and Carrick were not bought in the same transfer windown.
I never mentioned dates so there is nothing to dispute with you here, you only asked for marquee signings and I gave you (actually didn't see the 3 year limit) but even then we are in the 4th year and the last 3 years would be 06/07, 07/08, 08/09.

~Sauron~:

The difference between Gibson and Cesc/Song is the lack of opportunities. . . . . .
Before Pique left United, many peops thunk he was average until they started seeing him doing the shifts at Barcelona.
Give Gibson match appearances in a run of 20 league games and he will show his worth. . . . .
Now you are losing it Debo, even my manure friends here would gladly take any one of those two ahead of Gibson. Apart from the odd long ranger, there isn't much that guy offers. Pique only had to move cause of the sheer quality of Vidic and Rio ahead of him. I hope and pray for the days the likes of Gibson will get 20 league games run for manure cos that would herald the return of the PL to the emirates.

~Sauron~:

The same Nani/Anderson that copped MOTM performances against Arsenal in their debut seasons?
Are you high on cheap drugs?
Almost any player can turn it on any given day, its the consistency that is elusive. Samir Nasri also turned it on against Manure last season. Those players have been bit part players and in no way first teamers at manure until this season.

~Sauron~:

Who asked Wenger to sell good players like Gilberto, Pires and Ljunberg prematurely?
The afore mentioned reasons, the shift towards a youth policy which you stubbornly refuse to see or admit.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by biolabee(m): 7:36pm On Apr 26, 2010
Really dudu ask yourself one question

Has the youth policy really paid off, we ssupposedly disband the high wage earners but still our wages are still comparable to manu's now Cesc is the top dog with 110k and other pipes like denilson, walcott and co making like 50 or so while they shd be paid much less

TV5 being voted in the team of the year to me is ok but not so sure he deserved it
This team conceded far more gols than last season and he failed his first baptism of fire at the Bridge going down to Drogba who scored two gol and he scored an own goal rather than letting DD do the honors grin grin grin

His giving the penalty at Burnley, Westham and his poor positional play at times exposed Almunia

JT's off the field issues may have contributed in TV5 getting it
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Sauron1: 7:44pm On Apr 26, 2010
duduspace:

I never mentioned dates so there is nothing to dispute with you here, you only asked for marquee signings and I gave you (actually didn't see the 3 year limit) but even then we are in the 4th year and the last 3 years would be 06/07, 07/08, 08/09.

The last 3 years would be summer of 2007.

Now you are losing it Debo, even my manure friends here would gladly take any one of those two ahead of Gibson. Apart from the odd long ranger, there isn't much that guy offers. Pique only had to move cause of the sheer quality of Vidic and Rio ahead of him. I hope and pray for the days the likes of Gibson will get 20 league games run for manure cos that would herald the return of the PL to the emirates.

I can bet DELUDED GAYnners said the same thing about Fletcher few seasons ago. . . .but look at him now.
He is cut for the BIG GAMES and he's now one of United's most trusted midfielder. See how the table turns!!!!
Gibson is ascending. . . Next season is a BIG season for him.

Almost any player can turn it on any given day, its the consistency that is elusive. Samir Nasri also turned it on against Manure last season. Those players have been bit part players and in no way first teamers at manure until this season.

Nani and Anderson turned it on against BIG TEAMS in their debut season.
Arsenal n Liverpool felt their wrath and they were understudy to Scholes and Giggsy in their first season unlike Nasri who made the first team immediately.

The afore mentioned reasons, the shift towards a youth policy which you stubbornly refuse to see or admit.

There's no shift towards a useless youth policy. . . . .Stop shifting the posts.
Youth policy wouldn't have brought in Arshavin, Silvestre and Sol Campbell. . . . .unless you wanna claim here Silvestre is 19 and Campbell is 17.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 7:56pm On Apr 26, 2010
biolabee:

I did not know when Nasri, Bendtner and Walcott were no more first choice players for Arsenal lets even excuse Rosicky
dudu stop spewing, the team has perfomed poorly compared to the last term though we increased in position with a more rabid pack of Sp*rs,Citeh and Villa on our tail like never before, and with the reorganisation of Liverpool on the ranks. There might be a major shakeup of the Top 4 next season
If you are talking of tweaking, the first team off the mark is ManU. This is a team that still is in the reckoning despite losing Tevez n CR7
They just need a GK, a striker and a creative midfielder and off they go
We all know what we need but will the man buy undecided undecided undecided undecided
Did you notice the caveat I put about it being (in their positions?) Bendtner is not first choice and Theo is definitely not first choice, Nasri is first choice but he definitely isn't first choice for the role he played. Stop this scare mongering about next season, even when we were in worse shape we didn't go out of the top 4, is it now that we have better strength in depth, with enough money to improve the squad or now that everyone is going the youth route that we will?.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 8:04pm On Apr 26, 2010
~Sauron~:

There's no shift towards a useless youth policy. . . . .Stop shifting the posts.
Youth policy wouldn't have brought in Arshavin, Silvestre and Sol Campbell. . . . .unless you wanna claim here Silvestre is 19 and Campbell is 17.

Arshavin was brought in only when it was obvious Rosicky wasn't going to be back anytime soon, Silvestre and Sol were never bought to be first teamers. They were basically cheap experienced players brought in as stop gaps, only that one of them served that purpose very well while the other didn't and its no surprise where the one who didn't came from. Djorou would have been ahead of both of them if not for his extended time out due to injury.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Sauron1: 8:10pm On Apr 26, 2010
duduspace:

Arshavin was brought in only when it was obvious Rosicky wasn't going to be back anytime soon, Silvestre and Sol were never bought to be first teamers. They were basically cheap experienced players brought in as stop gaps, only that one of them served that purpose very well while the other didn't and its no surprise where the one who didn't came from. Djorou would have been ahead of both of them if not for his extended time out due to injury.

There are millions of youth players in Europe who Wenger woulda brought in as stop-gaps. Why did he opt for Campbell/Silvestre if we are to believe in this your theory of 'Youth Policy'. Arshavin was 28 when he was brought in, why didn't Wenger buy Ben Arfa or any 22 yr-old to fill that role?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 8:19pm On Apr 26, 2010
biolabee:

Really dudu ask yourself one question

Has the youth policy really paid off, we ssupposedly disband the high wage earners but still our wages are still comparable to manu's now Cesc is the top dog with 110k and other pipes like denilson, walcott and co making like 50 or so while they shd be paid much less

Our wage bill has been considerably less than Manure's since 07/08. There has been a clear 20m+ differential and if you put that in tandem with their net spend in the market you will see a massive difference in spending.

The difference like Sauron has pointed out (in a previous note of his written during one of his random and infrequent sober moments) is that they invested money into their players but we have invested time, in my opinion, there is a point at which the squad strength will be about equal and then with the strength of our youth system we should be able to sustain ours longer and overtake them (provided nothing unusual happens a la rule changes or Abramovic type investment).

If you consider the fact that the first generation of youth (since Arsene) that really started to make it into our first team  are still in their early 20s (even though Cesc is now a PL veteran, he is still only 22, the same age at which the likes of Gibson are just becoming first teamers) then there is still so much more to come from our youth policy. Just imagine the experience the likes of Bendtner, Denilson would have picked up by 25 or even the much maligned Theo (even though he does seem not to be growing much).
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 8:21pm On Apr 26, 2010
~Sauron~:

There are millions of youth players in Europe who Wenger woulda brought in as stop-gaps. Why did he opt for Campbell/Silvestre if we are to believe in this your theory of 'Youth Policy'. Arshavin was 28 when he was brought in, why didn't Wenger buy Ben Arfa or any 22 yr-old to fill that role?

Why would you need youth to be stop gap for youth? what purpose exactly is a stop gap supposed to achieve? answer those questions and therein lies your answer.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Sauron1: 8:25pm On Apr 26, 2010
duduspace:

Why would you need youth to be stop gap for youth? what purpose exactly is a stop gap supposed to achieve? answer those questions and therein lies your answer.

If he believes in the Youth Policy. . . . .An older youth like 24 can be a stop gap for a 19 yr old defender.
Why buy 29 year-olds as stop gaps. . . . .Your uncanny ability to spit from 2 sides of your mouth can be sometimes irritating.

Louis Van Gaal's all conquering Ajax team of 1995 that won everything had an average age of 22.
Why can't Wenger achieve the same if we are to believe in your so called Youth Policy you keep using as horrible excuses?

duduspace:

If you consider the fact that the first generation of youth (since Arsene) that really started to make it into our first team  are still in their early 20s (even though Cesc is now a PL veteran, he is still only 22, the same age at which the likes of Gibson are just becoming first teamers) then there is still so much more to come from our youth policy. Just imagine the experience the likes of Bendtner, Denilson would have picked up by 25 or even the much maligned Theo (even though he does seem not to be growing much).

Yet he keep making the same mistake of comparing the squad depth of United to Arsenal.

Virtually any idiot can make it into the Arsenal squad.
The reason why Gibson can't break into United's first team is because of lack of opportunities. . . not because he is not good enough.
How many Arsenal players will get into the United team on merit? Only Cesc. . . . .which means Song, Nasri, Diaby, Denilson, Eboue and Walcott will be on the bench in United week in week out. Pique was a bench warmer at OT and we now know he's better than any CB Arsenal have had in the last 5 seasons.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 9:19pm On Apr 26, 2010
duduspace:

You cannot have your cake and eat it dudu.

That a stop gap was needed can only mean two things:

1. Wenger failed abysmally in holding on to experienced players like Gilberto and Pires, which necessitated bringing back oldies like Silvestre and Campbell. He failed to hold on to the ones that should've been kept, only resorting to buying back cheaper duds in the end.

2. Wenger's youth project FAILED, needing him to find a stop gap measure to remedy the sudden decline while he yet again started rebuilding what is doomed to fail.

Either way, the need for an IMPORTED stop gap measure shows Wenger's policies - either the one of not given over 30 players extended deals or his over reliance on youth have failed. This failure is something Dudu fails to recognise, only excusing it as if it was always intended to be part of the process.

How Wenger suddenly realised that we were a young team needing some experience while eagerly selling off Bertie, Kolo and others like they were going out of fashion is a clear testament to how his policies have failed.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Sauron1: 9:24pm On Apr 26, 2010
debosky:

1. Wenger failed abysmally in holding on to experienced players like Gilberto and Pires, which necessitated bringing back oldies like Silvestre and Campbell. He failed to hold on to the ones that should've been kept, only resorting to buying back cheaper duds in the end.

2. Wenger's youth project FAILED, needing him to find a stop gap measure to remedy the sudden decline while he yet again started rebuilding what is doomed to fail.

Either way, the need for an IMPORTED stop gap measure shows Wenger's policies - either the one of not given over 30 players extended deals or his over reliance on youth have failed. This failure is something Dudu fails to recognise, only excusing it as if it was always intended to be part of the process.

How Wenger suddenly realised that we were a young team needing some experience while eagerly selling off Bertie, Kolo and others like they were going out of fashion is a clear testament to how his policies have failed.

MINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by biolabee(m): 9:34pm On Apr 26, 2010
duduspace:

Did you notice the caveat I put about it being (in their positions?) Bendtner is not first choice and Theo is definitely not first choice, Nasri is first choice but he definitely isn't first choice for the role he played. Stop this scare mongering about next season, even when we were in worse shape we didn't go out of the top 4, is it now that we have better strength in depth, with enough money to improve the squad or now that everyone is going the youth route that we will?.

i will say i said so come may 2011
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by dayokanu(m): 9:36pm On Apr 26, 2010

IMPOSSICANT

The academy that churned out Ballon D'ors like Owusu Abeyie, Arturo Lupoili, Justin Hoyte, Djourou, Senderos, Muamba etc
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 10:02pm On Apr 26, 2010
debosky:

I'm not trying to do anything fishy Debo, that the youth project has had HICCUPS I would admit,but that it has failed, DEFINITELY NOT, I would however not claim also that it is a success yet but it is something I believe has a very high chance of being successful given time. You see it as a policy that has failed but I see it as something on the threshold of success.
I must admit that the fact that it has been standing on the threshold of success for a while (when maybe it was a bit of overachievement to do this) is what makes it all the more frustrating for supporters and my acceptance of this reality is what you wrongly qualify as being satisfied with mediocrity.

As to the purchase of stop gap old CBs, I would just like to point out that we didn't sell any of our old CBs apart from Kolo Toure who was only sold last season (and considering his form at the time, the amount he went for and the replacement we brought in, I would have gladly offered to drive him to City myself). Sol walked out on the club due to off field issues and no one had any control over that. In the areas we've sold old players (mostly MF and forward line Henry/Eduaro, Hleb/Arshavin, Ljunberg/Nasri), we've not bought anyone older than the player we've sold. Of the 2 CBs we've brought through our youth system in that time, one is out injured and the other refuses to accept a bit part due to his world cup aspirations and that is what necessitated the stop gap measures.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 10:17pm On Apr 26, 2010
duduspace:

I'm not trying to do anything fishy Debo, that the youth project has had HICCUPS I would admit,but that it has failed, DEFINITELY NOT, I would however not claim also that it is a success yet but it is something I believe has a very high chance of being successful given time. You see it as a policy that has failed but I see it as something on the threshold of success.

5 years with no trophy is a HICCUP and overachievement?? My goodness - we might truly need to wait for 15 years to win at this case. undecided

I must admit that the fact that it has been standing on the threshold of success for a while (when maybe it was a bit of overachievement to do this) is what makes it all the more frustrating for supporters and my acceptance of this reality is what you wrongly qualify as being satisfied with mediocrity.

Dude - ANYONE who accepts 5 years of no trophies as being only a HICCUP is clearly satisfied with mediocrity - if 5 years is a hiccup, you need 10 years for failure at the minimum. If that doesn't define mediocrity, I don't know what will. Those are your words not mine - the worst trophy run in 20 years is a HICCUP. undecided

As to the purchase of stop gap old CBs, I would just like to point out that we didn't sell any of our old CBs apart from Kolo Toure who was only sold last season (and considering his form at the time, the amount he went for and the replacement we brought in, I would have gladly offered to drive him to City myself).

What rubbish - was Kolo worse than Silvestre?? How you can excuse such nonsense is beyond me. Someone who was part of the invincibles, Arsenal through and through was sold off and we kept a washed up reject from our rivals? If this isn't mediocre, I don't know what is. Were there no CBs in the entire world that we had to buy Utd REJECTS?? I can't even understand what you're excusing here.

Sol walked out on the club due to off field issues and no one had any control over that. In the areas we've sold old players (mostly MF and forward line Henry/Eduaro, Hleb/Arshavin, Ljunberg/Nasri), we've not bought anyone older than the player we've sold. Of the 2 CBs we've brought through our youth system in that time, one is out injured and the other refuses to accept a bit part due to his world cup aspirations and that is what necessitated the stop gap measures.

That is an excuse - how many players simply 'walk out' on Utd?? What about the players making a difference for Utd now - Giggs and Scholes?? Everyone who is an Arsenal fan knows that one of Wenger's biggest ever mistakes was selling off Pires, yet you sit here excusing it. This is a big joke - of the lot you've mentioned, NONE have managed to achieve the same performance level or consistency of their predecessors, meaning the replacement (i.e our performance in the transfer window) has been terrible.

Why wait so long before replacing players if youth was going to be sufficient?

The fact is, Gilberto could play BOTH at CB and DM at the club - why did we sell him? Another foolish mistake, but no, we continue to sell our tried and true players and bring in washed up ones. undecided

Everyone KNEW in the summer that we needed another CB, that Silvestre was useless, but he still kept on with him.

PS - Senderos was forced out of Arsenal because he was never going to play at the top level again not because of any world cup ambition. He has not played for Everton so that clearly shows he left because he was unwanted and would not be given a real chance at Arsenal. That, is another one of the failures of Wenger's youth policy.

No one will touch him with a 10 foot pole, except another club with dire injury troubles, yet he didn't play for them either.

(1) (2) (3) ... (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99)

Chelsea Vs Southampton (1 - 3) On 3rd October 2015 / Chelsea Vs Liverpool : FA Cup (2 - 0) On 3rd March 2020 / Barcelona Vs Real Madrid : El Clasico (2 - 1) On 22nd March 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 202
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.