Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,046 members, 7,849,221 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 04:32 PM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (95) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) (63227 Views)

Poll: Should Wenger Go After Yet Another Failed Season??

Yes: 44% (13 votes)
No: 55% (16 votes)
This poll has ended

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by dayokanu(m): 10:20pm On Apr 23, 2010
Debo is over 15, unless you can change your DoB.

I think Chic2pimp fits in well for the role in the room
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 10:35pm On Apr 23, 2010
debosky:

There is EVERY reason - Iker's case is a MASSIVE exception, given the obvious failings we have seen at this club when we over rely on youth too early, we CANNOT afford to take another risk. Three dodgy keepers is more than any club can stomach, not to talk of the other inconsistent performers we have in other parts of the team.

What you've claimed is the same as saying 'if Messi did it there is no reason why Wilshere can't do it' - is it that easy to make casual comparisons to world greats?

Okay, I don hear. that is my opinion we can agree to disagree. If Casillas did it, there is no reason another person can't do it after all if he was not given the chance, no one would know he could do it. These are other quotes from the same site those other quotes were taken from

[Quote]

North London Bee

You would normally expect an experienced keeper to screw up every 8-10 games or so.

Chesney has been remarkable and what has impressed me the most is not his incredible shot stopping. I expected that and to a degree , given his pedigree and physique I expected it too but his decision making has been incredibly good and composed.

His kicking will also improve with time.

He has played around 20 games amd his level of performance and consistency has been immensely high.

JTofBFC

Yep totally agree. Top class keeper in the making and we will be able to say we gave him his big chance !

If Wenger doesn't want him as 2nd choice as he is too young then its his loss. He isn't known for having much of a clue when it comes to goalkeepers ! Would love him back although suspect he may be destined for something bigger than us.

Just seen "that" save from saturday. Brilliant stuff.

To Bee Someone
Playing at a level of football like League 1 has benefited him greatly. Keepers dont get a lot of protection in comparison to the Prem and that has led Wojciech to be more decisive and brave. I think it all comes back to this issue of the basics, which i think he has a better grasp of than Almunia or Fabianski.

[/quote]

and this is a summary of his time at the club.

[Quote]
In November, when Szczesny went to Brendford, the third division club from just outside of London was 16th, had 23 goals against in 17 games and only 5 points clear of relegation zone.

Now, with 3 games left, Bees are 10th, are 16 points clear off 19th spot. The Pole played in 25 games, conceded 25 goals with 9 clean sheets. Manager Andy Scott said last week, that he'd love to keep him in the club, but understands that it will not be possible. Because Szczesny has skills to play in a better team.
[/quote]
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by eldee(m): 12:47am On Apr 24, 2010
@Dudu

Get off this Schenzy thing . . . we've performed enough experiments already with this team.
We've played without a striker against Big-Four teams, we've played Barca with two over 35 defenders, we've given Denilson a full season of week-in week=out action, but to say we should risk our goalkeeping position by putting in a 2-year old that's not even played against average strikers?? Come on!!!

How can you entrust a UCL team into the hands of a Championship keeper??
Your reason?? They risked it at Madrid and it paid off?? Just listen to yourself speak.

I find all your comments since the Tottenham game extremely disrespectful to Arsenal fans, but that's a matter for another day.

Let him do it the good old fashioned way, win the League Cup and we'll start talking.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 9:21am On Apr 24, 2010
eldee:

@Dudu

Get off this Schenzy thing . . . we've performed enough experiments already with this team.
We've played without a striker against Big-Four teams, we've played Barca with two over 35 defenders, we've given Denilson a full season of week-in week=out action, but to say we should risk our goalkeeping position by putting in a 2-year old that's not even played against average strikers?? Come on!!!

Let him do it the good old fashioned way, win the League Cup and we'll start talking.

Fair point, like I said the decision doesn't depend on me and I will totally understand if Arsene doesn't make him first choice yet because of all that is hanging on next season. He might be just a talent that came at the wrong time in the club's history. If he is not playing however, I don't want him hanging around without playing, Fabianski's present situation is causing me heartache cos I know he's better than his recent performances. Wojciech is too much of a talent for that, he should go on loan to a minimum mid-table championship club where the heat is on, I don't want him stagnating on our bench.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 11:47am On Apr 24, 2010
My prophecies are coming true already within a week of making them.  grin grin grin
There goes chelsea, I'm sure Sauron's people will come out of the closet very soon as reality begins to hit.

[Quote]
[size=14pt]Chelsea opt for youth over Torres bid[/size]
Chelsea have seemingly ruled themselves out of the running to sign Liverpool's Fernando Torres after manager Carlo Ancelotti announced a significant shift towards youth in the club's transfer policy.

Gael Kakuta: Represents Chelsea's future

Instead of competing with Manchester City in a bidding war for Torres, Chelsea will instead promote five academy players into their first-team squad next season as they look to lower the average age of the team.
The new policy was first discussed following the Champions League defeat to Inter Milan and was ratified following a meeting with Blues owner Roman Abramovich last Monday.

Ancelotti said: "Next season there will be five academy players in the squad. Some players will maybe move on. It's not because we don't have the money, it's because we want to give strength to our academy. We have very good young players and this is the time to put them in the squad for next year."

Gael Kakuta, Fabio Borini, Jeffrey Bruma, Patrick van Aanholt and Nemanja Matic will step up to the first team.
[/quote]

3 out of those 5 players were in a reserve team that our boys of predominantly U17s hammered 4-2 this season, we are light years ahead of Chelsea with our youth policy, it might take them 15 years to catch up to us with what we have in place already.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by biolabee(m): 1:13pm On Apr 24, 2010
dudu i say again iker had salgado, hierro, helguerra, carlos n redondo in front

schezezny will have sagna, gallas, verma, clichy n song embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

abeg we need an experienced keeper heck even sorensen will do but lloris will be ideal.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 2:43pm On Apr 24, 2010
But Biola, is it not the same people who will be in front of Sorensen or whoever we bring in  grin grin grin
now I'm not being particular about Szczesney, but the GK (whoever he may be) wouldn't solve whatever other defensive issues we have, would he?

And you can forget almost forget about Lloris, Arsene has already ruled him out as being too expensive, something thats quite likely considering his age and all the buzz he's getting, now if only Arsene could pull another Lehmann out of the hat. undecided
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Sauron1: 3:44pm On Apr 24, 2010
duduspace:

My prophecies are coming true already within a week of making them.  grin grin grin
There goes chelsea, I'm sure[b] Sauron's people [/b]will come out of the closet very soon as reality begins to hit

United started the youth policy shiznit. . . . .Arsene Wenger is trying to copy but he hasn't been successful with it.
Whatever Wenger is trying to do now, Fergie did in 95/96 when his kids WON the Premiership.

The reason why Chelsea is going through this route is because they must have 8 HOME-GROWN players in their 25-man squad.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 5:19pm On Apr 24, 2010
~Sauron~:

United started the youth policy shiznit. . . . .Arsene Wenger is trying to copy but he hasn't been successful with it.
Whatever Wenger is trying to do now, Fergie did in 95/96 when his kids WON the Premiership.
The reason why Chelsea is going through this route is because they must have 8 HOME-GROWN players in their 25-man squad.

Manure, HAD a youth policy back in the 90s and yes, at that time it was the best in the country with the allure of playing for Manure attracting the best talent in England, all that changed with the 90 minute rule. In recent times, Arsenal's academy has overtaken yours with our world wide talent scouting network. Only after Arsene's arrival and the initial trophy successes did Arsenal really pay any great attention to their academy, and it became easier to really bring up youngsters after we built London Colney.

1. Have you won any of the youth cup or academy league in the last 5 years?
2. How many players brought into the club under the age of 18 have progressed into your squad in the last 6 years?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Sauron1: 5:43pm On Apr 24, 2010
duduspace:

Manure, HAD a youth policy back in the 90s and yes, at that time it was the best in the country with the allure of playing for Manure attracting the best talent in England, all that changed with the 90 minute rule. In recent times, Arsenal's academy has overtaken yours with our world wide talent scouting network. Only after Arsene's arrival and the initial trophy successes did Arsenal really pay any great attention to their academy, and it became easier to really bring up youngsters after we built London Colney.

Rubbish young players who cannot win feck all.
They were found out in Malaysia 2007.

1. Have you won any of the youth cup or academy league in the last 5 years?

We won at the world stage in 2007 beating the kids from Barcelona, Juventus, Flamengo.
In the same competition, Wenger's kids did not qualify from their group.

In the last 5 years, we have won the reserves league 3 times(2005, 2006 and 2010).
The kids have also won the National Play-Offs TWICE in the last 5 years(beating the winners of the Southern Conference).

2. How many players brought into the club under the age of 18 have progressed into your squad in the last 6 years?

It depends on what you mean by progression. . . .but the following players are better than any runt the Arsenal academy has produced.

Macheda
Welbeck
Fletcher
Shawcross
Pique
Rossi
Gibson
Fraizer Campbell
Richardson.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 6:17pm On Apr 24, 2010
Of all those clowns you mention there, only Pique is worth mentioning, Welbeck and Marcheda have the potential to be good and Fletcher doesn't count as he is not within that age range. All the others are not fit to be mentioned on the same page as Walcott.
And will you stop mentioning Reserve league when we talk about youth development, Hargo is not a youth player and neither is Sol or Drogba.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by biolabee(m): 6:51pm On Apr 24, 2010
duduspace:

But Biola, is it not the same people who will be in front of Sorensen or whoever we bring in  grin grin grin
now I'm not being particular about Szczesney, but the GK (whoever he may be) wouldn't solve whatever other defensive issues we have, would he?

And you can forget almost forget about Lloris, Arsene has already ruled him out as being too expensive, something thats quite likely considering his age and all the buzz he's getting, now if only Arsene could pull another Lehmann out of the hat. undecided

We need a defensive coach,  i think martin keown was helpful in the 2006 UCL run. Wenger can not teach defense. its just like a marketer in a biz withput the control required from the audit team. nigel winterburn is also available

Great strikers win you games
Great defence (+ keeper) win you titles

bet with me, a team like arsenal that has a huge penchant for attaking will always be found short at the back except we find a balance.

Sorensen will be ok for me and wojnech can now be second keeper learning and then take up the mantle
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by rikkyjen(m): 8:20pm On Apr 24, 2010
Awon da? Ni bo lo wa?

See as dis place quiet and dry like desert!!!

Its not like if Assnal won this game, they woulda still been in the race. Boom or bust this game, the title race was already over. So,why all of una come dey hide face?

Adebowale, Ni bo lo wa? grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by presido1: 9:37pm On Apr 24, 2010
Is it mathematically over?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 1:04am On Apr 25, 2010
rikkyjen:

Awon da? Ni bo lo wa?

Its not like if Assnal won this game, they woulda still been in the race. Boom or bust this game, the title race was already over. So,why all of una come dey hide face?

We dey o, currently strategizing for next season. Do look forward to more GK's being sent to extended spells on the sidelines by the new improved Diaby next season. grin grin grin
We need more variation in the way we play, imagine more shorts like that? half of the PL Keepers would have needed shoulder reconstruction surgery.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by biolabee(m): 2:51am On Apr 25, 2010
duduspace:

We dey o, currently strategizing for next season. Do look forward to more GK's being sent to extended spells on the sidelines by the new improved Diaby next season. grin grin grin
We need more variation in the way we play, imagine more shorts like that? half of the PL Keepers would have needed shoulder reconstruction surgery.

grin grin grin grin grin

When your team does not believe in shooting,,, i believe sha next season they will do the needful

@rikky

we never left, kpas!

Third place was our aim hence the lack of excitement about the match
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by rikkyjen(m): 3:16am On Apr 25, 2010
duduspace:

Like una dey always re-strategize at the end of the last 5 seasons abi. lol

The word "strategize" for the next season is for the club in the mini-league(Top 2- Utd and chelsea) grin grin grin

the word "Post-mortem" should be the word you shoulda used dudu. . . For instance: "we dey o, currently doing a usual post mortem of our carcass of a season" [i][/i]is the right phrase to use tongue tongue tongue.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by rikkyjen(m): 3:26am On Apr 25, 2010
biolabee:

grin grin grin grin grin

When your team does not believe in shooting,,, i believe sha next season they will do the needful

@rikky

we never left, kpas!

Third place was our aim hence the lack of excitement about the match

Arsenal FC in the last 5 seasons has been about making 3rd and 4th place. It has never been winning the leaguer per say. A guaranteed 3rd and 4th place puts Arsenal in the UCL, thus guaranteeing more money.

The fans are frustrated BUT their frustrations aint jack cos Assnal is still making its top 4. There wont be a revolution at the Emirati until Arsenal falls out of the top 4.

A fall out of the top 4 would wake everybody up and the Mgt would be forced to make some changes. If things dont go worse , Asnnal would continue to wallow in the status quo. Basically, the status quo favors the board and wenger cos Arsenal FC is still a cash cow as it is right now.
grin grin
If i were an Asnnal fan i would praying things go south and degenerate into when Assnal cant make the UCL and when Man City or even Spurs make top 4. If this happens, heads would roll and there would be changes at the Emirati. As a united fan, i dread when this would happen, cos the status quo  would change and Assnal would be redefined, rejuvenated and refurrbished to comepete at the toppest level again

As of now, am loving the stuatus quo  tongue tongue. Pls dont fire wenger!. . .Keep on with the youth policy. . . Keep on buying duds and above ALL DONT SPPEND! Afterall, Y'all are making more money and are the second richest club in England after a debt laden Utd team that spends millions every year!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by DrKitaun(m): 3:42am On Apr 25, 2010
Just 2 posts in a season, and RIKKYJEN reminds u of legends' stuff!!!

Oga, happun?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by rikkyjen(m): 3:54am On Apr 25, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

Just 2 posts in a season, and RIKKYJEN reminds u of legends' stuff!!!

Oga, happun?

Oga Kit, man, i miss you bro!

i come around on NL, i come be like stranger. . Except for Debo, YOU, Chac, Nateevs/ibime axis, Nazi-K,Tkb and a few others, i no sabi anybody here again. grin grin

You know when they say "Awon set yin ti le". lol, Thats exactly how i feel bro. . . .Actually, am tryna outgrow NL. Thats just it my man. . .

Kit, permission to open tomfoolery thread for the Nateevs/chavs? grin grin Ur permission is needed sir! cos i no wan match toes like last time.Wallahi, no be for Assnal! grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by presido1: 3:06pm On Apr 25, 2010
Please is it not wise to delete all the Arsenal thread for this season as their season was mathematically over yesterday. At least this action will help free some space for their seniors. grin grin grin

Where are them GAYners sef? Season don carry them go or what.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Sauron1: 3:07pm On Apr 25, 2010
duduspace:

Of all those clowns you mention there, only Pique is worth mentioning

Ryan Shawcross - A United academy graduate is better than all the CBs in Arsenal including Vermaelen.

Welbeck and Marcheda have the potential to be good and Fletcher doesn't count as he is not within that age range.

Fletcher joined the academy in 2000(age 16) and was promoted into the senior team in 2004 circa so it fits your criteria perfectly.
I remember him sodomising Patrick Viera in the FA Cup semis of 2004 where he bested all the midfielders Arsenal had on the pitch.

Welbeck is better than Bendtner and Macheda at 18 will give Theo Walcott a run for his money in terms of ability

All the others are not fit to be mentioned on the same page as Walcott.

Theo Walcott - one way traffic man?
Paul Pogba has more football sense than Theo Walcott.

And will you stop mentioning Reserve league when we talk about youth development, Hargo is not a youth player and neither is Sol or Drogba.

United's reserve players are 98% youth players so i will mention then.
The CYC tournament(U-19) held in Malaysia in 2007 had the kids of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Barcelona, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Ajax, Juventus, PSG, Porto, Bayern Munich, Flamengo, Boca Juniors and PSV. . . .Arsenal did not win a single game in the tournament.
Like Ashley Cole said, y'all kids are a buncha unproven featherweights.

rikkyjen:

Oga Kit, man, i miss you bro!

i come around on NL, i come be like stranger. . Except for Debo, YOU, Chac, Nateevs/ibime axis, Nazi-K,Tkb and a few others, i no sabi anybody here again. grin grin

You know when they say "Awon set yin ti le". lol, Thats exactly how i feel bro. . . .Actually, am tryna outgrow NL. Thats just it my man. . .

Kit, permission to open tomfoolery thread for the Nateevs/chavs? grin grin your permission is needed sir! cos i no wan match toes like last time.Wallahi, no be for Assnal! grin

Rikkyjen, abeg. . . . . . .I will pay $500 to see another TOMFOOLERY thread this season.
I think it's about time to make some GAYnners swallow their words. . . . .
Morons like MrCrackles, HNIC, Slimshay, AllBoyz, Rasputinn, etc.
I will spare Follypimpi, Eldee and Dr. Kit cos they knew all along the team would fail come MAY. grin grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by HNIC(m): 5:25pm On Apr 25, 2010
~Sauron~:

Rikkyjen, abeg. . . . . . .I will pay $500 to see another TOMFOOLERY thread this season.
I think it's about time to make some GAYnners swallow their words. . . . .
Morons like MrCrackles, HNIC, Slimshay, AllBoyz, Rasputinn, etc.
I will spare Follypimpi, Eldee and Dr. Kit cos they knew all along the team would fail come MAY. grin grin grin grin
Gibberish as usual even on a holy day
Point out where i said Arsenal will win anything this season.
After the window closed in summer, I stated that we will compete if important players didn't get injured and some fringe players 'step up'.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 5:41pm On Apr 25, 2010
Sauron, get off that new chinese designer drug before it sends you to an early grave

I can't even begin to respond to that comedy yu've penned up there.

Welbeck better than Bendtner
Shawcross would only be called a footballer if the game was solely about breaking people's legs.

I'm sure we woulda won the Champion's youth cup for keeps if it wasn't stopped after the first edition.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by biolabee(m): 7:35pm On Apr 25, 2010
HNIC:

After the window closed in summer, I stated that we will compete if important players didn't get injured and some fringe players 'step up'.

injuries to the arsenal team is like what trophies are to InterMilan. they will come we all knew that

The irony of the fringers is that they may really have stepped up only that their best was not good enough all along ,
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by jalether(m): 8:36pm On Apr 25, 2010
Gunners how market, no hard feelings, just passing by cheesy cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by chic2pimp(m): 8:52pm On Apr 25, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by jalether(m): 9:14pm On Apr 25, 2010
chic2pimp:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

How dare you laugh at the future of EPL angry grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by chic2pimp(m): 9:54pm On Apr 25, 2010
jalether:

How dare you laugh at the future of EPL angry grin
Laugh ke o ti oooo Mba grin
Like you, I was simply passing by grin cheesy grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 11:50am On Apr 26, 2010
rikkyjen:

Awon da? Ni bo lo wa?

Rikky na me you dey call out like this? grin

No be your fault - na Arsene, Almunia and Fabianski wey cause am. sad

Wenger has already started formulating his latest excuses for not buying - the 25 man rule.

Wenger appears to be so far gone down his path that he can't recognise his failings anymore. I hope I am wrong, but we will see at the end of next season.

duduspace:

There goes chelsea, I'm sure Sauron's people will come out of the closet very soon as reality begins to hit.

3 out of those 5 players were in a reserve team that our boys of predominantly U17s hammered 4-2 this season, we are light years ahead of Chelsea with our youth policy, it might take them 15 years to catch up to us with what we have in place already.

What prophecy? They will simply promote to meet the 8 man rule, but if they sell e.g. Belletti they can replace him with a foreigner as long as they've met the quota requirements. Unlike us, they will likely win a league and cup double this season and will be far better able to attract big talents than a club that perennially seems to be content with coming 4th. Nateevs has been screaming for those players to join the first team anyways, so its not really a surprise.

What you fail to realise is that trophies have continue to exert big pull as well, and the longer we fail to win, the lower that pull becomes. Even the ones we develop will inevitably be tempted elsewhere with our abysmal win rate.

The most crucial part is this - once EVERY club is forced to take on more youths, then our 'unique' attractiveness of giving youth a chance will be gone, in addition to the fact that the other teams (Chelski and United) continue to pay better wages AND win trophies. After that what will we be left with?

Oh I forgot - we will be 'sustainable'. undecided
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by DrKitaun(m): 12:37pm On Apr 26, 2010
lol !!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) ... (100)

Barcelona Vs Real Madrid : El Clasico (2 - 1) On 22nd March 2015 / Arsenal Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 3rd January 2018 / Jay Jay Okocha Vs Ronaldino: Who Is The Better Dribbler?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.