Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,677 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? (38138 Views)

How Goodluck Jonathan Was Disrespected As A President (Throwback Photos) / Nnamdi Kanu And IPOB In Aba When Jonathan Was In Power (Video) / Throwback Photos Of When Jonathan Gave South-west Obas N50m Each (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by OkunrinMeta: 10:10pm On Sep 03, 2017
Kazim88:

Biafra would Benefit Hausa Fulani more... infact more than Yorubas.

Am 100% sure.

They have nothing to lose... everything to gain.

Maybe this will be true since the south south where the oil is does not plan to join Biafra

3 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by OkunrinMeta: 10:12pm On Sep 03, 2017
Yyeske:
Go through the normal procedure under the law and get the referendum and Biafra peacefully or you risk what you never pray for

You are speaking as if it is only one region that would feel the heat if this escalates into a Civil war

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Kazim88: 10:13pm On Sep 03, 2017
Yyeske:
Go through the normal procedure under the law and get the referendum and Biafra peacefully or you risk what you never pray for

You must be very ignorant if you assume we are not praying and hoping your almajiri run goverment to bring war to our door step.

It would be a dream come true... maybe you think because you have gun you can shoot any how... You would be an international criminal. international armed robber.

6 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Yyeske(m): 10:15pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

You are a smart man. You know my point. Therefore, no further comment
As it stands now, the president, the NASS and Supreme Court don't have any power to grant any referendum to any group whatsoever because it is not in the constitution and there are ways of simply ammending it

2 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by OkunrinMeta: 10:16pm On Sep 03, 2017
Kazim88:

You must be very ignorant if you assume we are not praying and hoping your almajiri run goverment to bring war to our door step.

It would be a dream come true... maybe you think because you have gun you can shoot any how... You would be an international criminal. international armed robber.

Is it impossible that the international community would be unable to send soldiers to defend helpless women and children if this escalates?
Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by mecussey(m): 10:22pm On Sep 03, 2017
izombie:
listen, igbos were indifferent when buhari won the election. We were ready to move on but then buhari made the 97%, 5% comment. Then he banned radio biafra. The worst he did was to arrest kanu. If buhari had ignored kanu when he came to nigeria, he would not be as popular as he is now. Someone like me never took interest in kanu until he was arrested. It was only after his arrest that he got my support and obviously millions of igbos support.

I never knew Kanu by face until then. I only hear about radio biafra and tv but i was never interested until he was arrested and taken to court over and over without any tangible case.

5 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by attackgat: 10:24pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

I will take your word for it and I agree that the Buhari government did not handle this well.

However, my point is, pro biafrans should attempt to grab political power either regionally or nationally. This will make their cause easier and also proof that they have follower ship. Then you can get the international and political support you need. Either that or we keep making comments that will drive innocent young men to take action that might lead to death or incarceration without achieving anything.

It is naive to expect that an Hausa man would give you what you want to the detriment to his own people.

It is pointless for Biafran agitators to seek political power in Nigeria to further their cause. Infact, if pro Biafrans try to seek political power in Nigeria, it will be the end of them.

Nigeria not structured in a way that makes secession by politics possible.

Had Nigeria been a true federation where the Regions have high degree of autonomy and can vote in their regional parliament on secession, then that would be a different thing. Then, Nnamdi Kanu can turn IPOB into a political party, test his popularity at the polls, and if he wins big, can move a motion for the independence of his people.

But at this point, even if IPOB were a political party and won all the elective positions in the SE/SS area, they would still have to to the national assembly to move a motion for independence and the other 4 zones are guaranteed to use their number to vote it out. So that would all be wasted effort, and by then,elected IPOB members who are enjoying power are most likely to forget that it was all about leaving Nigeria. Some might even start singing the tune of ONE NIGERIA. Power corrupts people.

The best thing for Kanu to do is to keep up the pressure through non violent protests and civil disobedience until Nigeria agrees to grant referendum.

Already, it is working for we can see the Arewa youths calling on the federal government to grant the East referendum because of the Biafran agitation.

We are getting there

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Yyeske(m): 10:24pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

You are speaking as if it is only one region that would feel the heat if this escalates into a Civil war
Nobody prays for any because we all Will feel the effects for years, winner and loser but things must be done according.
I'm Igbo for your info staying in the SE so don't make that northerner he referred me as sway you .
I've been afonja too but I have a reason for this, most noise makers are already scared of nothing and I mean those IPOB miscreants when we know nothing would happen and that is why I've always followed them on threads to hit them.
I actually warned of this scenario earlier but nothing will ever happen and if they need a referendum, they should do the needful

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Kazim88: 10:27pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

Maybe this will be true since the south south where the oil is does not plan to join Biafra

Don't be deceived... SS would naturally join Biafra... Asari Dokubo (Bayelsa, Mend) has been MASSOB before Kanu.

Akwa Ibom are fanatical about IPOB.. same as calabar..

Although every tribe would vote independently to join or not... that said.

Oil revenue would be negotiated independently, backed by international community. Nigeria would still be receiving billions in allocation on oil.

they are lots of oil in Lagos, Ondo, Edo and Delta.

Without Biafra noise, Yoruba would naturally hide, North would easily dominate Nigeria... the polity would be calm.

They would be own all the oil field in SW... and Edo and Delta. Ev

They could give excuse for allowing Biafra because they don't want another war. case close.

but they are so short sighted, they have so much faith in violence... we want to clear their doubt.

simple victory for Biafra and North. they are talking war... thinking they are doin us favor by not rolling their tanks and war machine.

roll it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Yyeske(m): 10:28pm On Sep 03, 2017
Kazim88:

i guess you gave me the gun from Mali, used to insults already

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by OkunrinMeta: 10:29pm On Sep 03, 2017
attackgat:

It is pointless for Biafran agitators to seek political power in Nigeria to further their cause. Infact, if pro Biafrans try to seek political power in Nigeria, it will be the end of them.

Nigeria not structured in a way that makes secession by politics possible.

Had Nigeria been a true federation where the Regions have high degree of autonomy and can vote in their regional parliament on secession, then that would be a different thing. Then, Nnamdi Kanu can turn IPOB into a political party, test his popularity at the polls, and if he wins big, can move a motion for the independence of his people.

But at this point, even if IPOB were a political party and won all the elective positions in the SE/SS area, they would still have to to the national assembly to move a motion for independence and the other 4 zones are guaranteed to use their number to vote it out. So that would all be wasted effort, and by then,elected IPOB members who are enjoying power are most likely to forget that it was all about leaving Nigeria. Some might even start singing the tune of ONE NIGERIA. Power corrupts people.

The best thing for Kanu to do is to keep up the pressure through non violent protests and civil disobedience until Nigeria agrees to grant referendum.

Already, it is working for we can see the Arewa youths calling on the federal government to grant the East referendum because of the Biafran agitation.

We are getting there

I get your point but your protests would be a lot safer and effective if your governors and senators were in support of your movement

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Yyeske(m): 10:31pm On Sep 03, 2017
Kazim88:

Don't be deceived... SS would naturally join Biafra... Asari Dokubo (Bayelsa, Mend) has been MASSOB before Kanu.

Oil revenue would be negotiated independently, backed by international community. Nigeria would still be receiving billions in allocation on oil.

Without Biafra noise, Yoruba would naturally hide, North would easily dominate Nigeria... the polity would be calm.

They could give excuse for allowing Biafra because they don't want another war. case close.

but they are so short sighted, they have so much faith in violence... we want to clear their doubt.

simple victory for Biafra and North. they are talking war... thinking they are doin us favor by not rolling their tanks and war machine.

roll it.

Radio Biafra news we are used to already

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Awoo88: 10:31pm On Sep 03, 2017
Because Jonathan wasn't as dull and stupid as bubu who thinks his body odour is enough for everything

8 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by shekauvsbuhari: 10:32pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:
One would imagine that in five years that Jonathan was in Power, if these protests and loud requests for secession was brought forward and it was this loud, It might have been easier for the Igbo nation to get what they seem to want.

Of course there is also the question of whether the agitators actually speak the mind of the Igbo Nation. This is because in my corner of the country, the Igbo men I know do not seem to be very much in support of Master Nnamdi. Still, these issues should be addressed by way of logical two way discussion.

So my questions are:

why is the demand for Biafra more pronounced now?

Did the agitators forget what they wanted before?

Did they not want it at the time?

What exactly is the reasonable expectation currently?

Do you want the Hausa man to go and face his onions and cow while leaving the oil for only the east to enjoy because they are very selfless like Jesus?

Would it not have been easier to ask Jonathan to do that?

Are we willing to go back to 1967 to make it happen?

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by OkunrinMeta: 10:32pm On Sep 03, 2017
Kazim88:

roll it.

You are wicked oo. So you assume you can leave Yoruba people alone with the Northerners while you merge with the saner southsouth people that have all the oil. Ema wo bobo yi sha.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Yyeske(m): 10:36pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

You are wicked oo. So you assume you can leave Yoruba people alone with the Northerners while you merge with the saner southsouth people that have all the oil. Ema wo bobo yi sha.
Dont be deceived by him, Igalas, Idomas, Efiks, Ibibio, ijaws, Urhobos, Itshekiris and other groups around Igboland had dissociated themselves from Biafra yet they keep pushing the referendum down their throats as if those groups asked for it.
They only want access to sea and oil

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by KenModi(m): 10:36pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

Maybe ..... And Jonathan shared money through amnesty. Maybe that's also why

Was Kanu even on radio during Jonathan's regime?

Nnamdi was on radio during Jonathan's administration as vocal as ever and Jonathan arrested Nnamdi for three months then realised him. But Buhari thought he was smarter...

3 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by omolami: 10:38pm On Sep 03, 2017
There was little call because the president was humane accommodating and full of understanding of politics unlike pharaoh

8 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by shekauvsbuhari: 10:39pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:
One would imagine that in five years that Jonathan was in Power, if these protests and loud requests for secession was brought forward and it was this loud, It might have been easier for the Igbo nation to get what they seem to want.

Of course there is also the question of whether the agitators actually speak the mind of the Igbo Nation. This is because in my corner of the country, the Igbo men I know do not seem to be very much in support of Master Nnamdi. Still, these issues should be addressed by way of logical two way discussion.

So my questions are:

Do you want the Hausa man to go and face his onions and cow while leaving the oil for only the east to enjoy because they are very selfless like Jesus?

you are not informed at all. Ipob started before jona. Nnamdi kalu was very pronounced thru radio biafra during Jona but Jona did de right thing.Jona ignored him n he was made to be irrelevant. Foolish n tactless buhari came n filled with disdain for de so-called 5percenters, thot albeit foolishly that smashing him with brute force was it n he ended up makin a hitherto incosequential fellow a popular secessionist leader. He has not learnt n dts y he wants to re-arrest him. Re-arrest him and further make him more popular.

8 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by hardeycute(m): 10:39pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:
My people, the purpose of this thread is not to start a fight or fuel ethnic hatred. It is to draw attention to the ineffectiveness of the current approach and the dangers of civil war.

Please let us all find a way to get what we want without violence. Why not join politics?

Even if pro-biafrans cannot get the presidency. If all the governors in your region are in support, it would that show the south-east people voted for governors who want Biafra, meaning they want Biafra too. So it will be easy to move from there. Not street fights and accidental discharges from police and soldiers that will leave only sorrows, pain, and fuel more bitterness.
Are the Biafra agitators calling for WAR?

I hate it when people claim that people who want to secede have not witnessed war so they should not express their self

If we give them what they want,what is the problem? Call for Referendum should be what we should be championing and not declining people of their right

I am a Yoruba but the agitators aren't asking for WAR but their supposed "dream"

5 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by bigpicture001: 10:40pm On Sep 03, 2017
because buhari is a foolish president who is ethnicised and full of nepotism and glaring favouritism..he made even the igbos that are originally against biafra see reason y dey shld support the struggle...example is me

5 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by YoungDaNaval(m): 10:40pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

What else do you expect from a zombie?

3 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 10:40pm On Sep 03, 2017
Kazim88:

Probability of war is 0%

Its not feasible in any way whatsoever...

On which ground would Nigeria declare war...
Even my 5 years cousin knows that the government has no excuse to war... and are to broke to wish one.

Self Determination is an International right of every indigenous group..

At worst nigeria government would be charged for attempt genocide because With The international publicity Biafra is getting Nigeria government can't do shit.

Anambra Election would be boycotted
2019 election would be boycotted..
more sit at home.

The are weapon more stronger than tanks.

Nigeria only weapon is violence and War... they have already loss certainly.. ask any sane mind.

book mark this my words

See this ignoramus..

How many yrs did ireland fight before being granted independence. ?
How many yrs did south sudan fight before getging independence. ?
How long did eritrea strugle before being sent away from ethiopia ?

You guys are soooooo ignorant

2 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 10:41pm On Sep 03, 2017
Kazim88:

Obiano Apology

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/08/obiano-apologizes-ipob-may-30-2016-killing-members-onitsha/

Biafra vs Buratai, Obiano and 13 others.
200 million dollars suit. (John Doe vs Buratai et al)

http://www.newsexpressngr.com/news/43288-Biafra-Suit-Intersociety-releases-evidence-against-Buratai-Arase-other-Military-and-Police-top-shots-46

You think 1967 is 2017.

You think the world is still a jungle. wake up.

Let's Nigeria start war

it would be 1 billion dollars suit this time.

And ICC are currently investigating state involvement in Herdsmen and Nigeria Army Human Rights Abuses... this one is not a civil or monetary is straight execution of life imprisonment in Hague.

Most
Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by elosonservices(m): 10:41pm On Sep 03, 2017
Jonathan was running inclusive government. Every part of the country was represented in political appointment.
What can u say about the NNPC recent appointment Ibo is zero.

3 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by sonnie10: 10:42pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

So should we put the lives of millions at risk because of a silly old man?

Ojukwu lived to a ripe old age. About 3 million people that died in the war had no such luck.

I don't mean to insult an Hero but we must learn from history or we are doomed to repeat it.

How many wars and battles did America go through before they got their indenpence ?
Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by holysina(m): 10:42pm On Sep 03, 2017
I will say the agitation has been they for long but alot of people never had a reason to support it. The present government gave it the publicity it needed and also gave alot of folks reason to Join the movement.

6 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by malware: 10:43pm On Sep 03, 2017
Kazim88:
@OkunrinMeta
This is were Nigeria is missing it... Oil money could be sought out if only the separation is peaceful...

Why It was low in GEJ... because Buhari and all of you Northerners believe SOLELY in violence..

You all foolishly believe that you can violently end the agitation... even till now...

they are weapon far stronger than violence that is most effective. A weapon that can burn the whole country without a gun shot.

But from Buhari, to Arewa youths to people like you that keep opening Biafran thread per hour ..

people like all that Biafra is given sleepless nights and troubled days (and you can't explain why) are big promoters of biafra ..

the worst is yet to come... the best was to allow biafra go... Biafra should withdraw or suit against Nigeria.. Oil revenue would be share to Nigeria.... that's all... then they would be political peace in Nigeria.

I

Are the Northers the only ones holding this country together? What a powerful set of people....

Meanwhile, no matter how violent IPOB goes, they would only succeed in killing their kinsmen as they wouldn't dare cross to other states to unleash their non-existent violence cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by NigeriaKitchen: 10:43pm On Sep 03, 2017
Nice question but the answers are:

1. Buhari's tribalistic and lopsided political appointment and very nepotic leadership style in which only the Fulani/Hausa and some of his Yoruba allies are favoured while others are seen as idiots!

2. Fulani herdsmen incessant killings of unarmed innocent villagers in middle belt, kaduna and Enugu in which Buhari refused to condemn or act to show that he is not in support of the murderous Fulani militia cum herdsmen.

3. The arrest of Nnamdi KANU

4. One-sided fight against corruption by Buhari governments in which Buhari friends, cabinets, sponsors and allies who are corrupt are allowed to walk free while his perceived enemies and opposition are clamped down on using efcc and DSS.

These factors are the reason the agitation for seccesion by various groups in Nigeria became more pronounced under Buhari.

Goodluck Jonathan may not have been an excellent president, but he was fair to all....he was liberal....he was kind hearted, considerate, humane and very democratic unlike Buhari

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by sanpipita(m): 10:44pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

So my questions are:

I never wanted to reply here but after reading where you talked about 1967 I must say you are very stupid, its like what kanu says about this country being a zoo is true, must a war be fought just cos agitations? what about doing things like civilised people, are we animals? for your question do your research Biafra was on under GEJ some were arrested and taken to court blame buhari for escalating everything since he took over.

8 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by shekauvsbuhari: 10:44pm On Sep 03, 2017
Tolexander:
Those sponsoring the agitation for Biafra were busy licking the icing on the national cake in Aso Rock when Jonathan was the president.
this forum is full of uninformed clowns.

4 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Vikky014(f): 10:45pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

Maybe ..... And Jonathan shared money through amnesty. Maybe that's also why

Was Kanu even on radio during Jonathan's regime?
yes oo. he was speaking very loud and clear. even insulted Jonathan. but Gej ignored him BC he was an attention seeker. only for Bubu to give him attention by arresting him.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune / Chima Okoro, Twitter User Who Predicted Abuja Attacks Deletes Account / Tinubu Told Us To Join AD – Bola Ilori (Daily Post)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.