Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,531 members, 7,816,294 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? (38102 Views)

How Goodluck Jonathan Was Disrespected As A President (Throwback Photos) / Nnamdi Kanu And IPOB In Aba When Jonathan Was In Power (Video) / Throwback Photos Of When Jonathan Gave South-west Obas N50m Each (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by ocelot2006(m): 11:35pm On Sep 03, 2017
Because there was a sense of inclusion and fair play among the Igbos. The administration wasn't perfect, but it tried to ensure that the Igbos indeed felt that they belonged.

That changed under Buhari.

3 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Yyeske(m): 11:38pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

Yeah.

For me, I love Nigerians more than I love Nigeria.

If the people that make up Nigeria do not want to be identified as Nigeria then that wish should be respected.

At the same time, it is senseless to waste the lives of Nigerians just for the hatred of Nigeria
I understand your point but if after 50yrs and no lessons learnt then these kids asking for a war should have a taste of it since they want it. You can see how much they craved for it at the beginning of the thread but God forbid

2 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Bambela(m): 11:38pm On Sep 03, 2017
The administration of GEJ was not 97 against 5 percent. while he was a democrat, bubu is dictator.

4 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by eagleu: 11:39pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:
One would imagine that in five years that Jonathan was in Power, if these protests and loud requests for secession was brought forward and it was this loud, It might have been easier for the Igbo nation to get what they seem to want.

Of course there is also the question of whether the agitators actually speak the mind of the Igbo Nation. This is because in my corner of the country, the Igbo men I know do not seem to be very much in support of Master Nnamdi. Still, these issues should be addressed by way of logical two way discussion.

So my questions are:

why is the demand for Biafra more pronounced now?

Did the agitators forget what they wanted before?

Did they not want it at the time?

What exactly is the reasonable expectation currently?

Do you want the Hausa man to go and face his onions and cow while leaving the oil for only the east to enjoy because they are very selfless like Jesus?

Would it not have been easier to ask Jonathan to do that?

Are we willing to go back to 1967 to make it happen?

For your honesty in accepting that there was call for Biafra during GEJ, I will join this discussion.
There has been call for Biafra for a long time now, but something changed, and caused Igbos and even non-Igbos to start listening, agreeing, and now worshiping the the idea of Biafra.

What changed? BUHAR!

1. He declared war on the "5%" who he perceived as political enemies. He sang the hate song even before someone played it on the radio.

2. The recent NNPC hiring of 15 northerners, 3 SW, 2 SS, and no SE is a good example of why Nnamdi Kalu is winning souls. Igbos on the average are more educated than Hausas, and Buhari saw no Igbo person fit to work as a manager in NNPC--his pot of gold!

3. Employment of civil servants to exclude Igbos, ditto # 2 above.

4. Education. Instead of moving the country forward and selecting the talented and the gifted, Buhari's nepotism made a bad situation worse. A child in Imo state has to score 220 vs 12 by his Zamfara counterpart to be considered for a spot in Federal government schools.

5. Oh look at the security apparatus of Nigeria, and you will answer your own question about why there was little call for Biafra during GEJ, OBJ, and even Yardua era.

5. Fulani herdsmen have always been an eyesore on Nigeria roads, but it's only during Buhari, that they have become emboldened, organized, and more murderous. Yet not one has ever been arrested, tried, and jailed for raping, killing, and burning down whole communities. Instead, the corrupt Hausa/Fulani military officers would rather talk about cattle rustlers.

6. Religion? Don't even let me remind you of the forceful and steady islamization plans and policies of this Buhari regimen.

7. Buhari has been known to be very corrupt, but smartly enough, he came to power pretending to fight corruption. The difference between his fight and reality is like day and night. Today, if you're his political or religious enemy, you're corrupt and the EFCC and DSS will hunt you down, try your case in the media, and never win a conviction in a court of law. Meanwhile, your life will be ruined without any compensation. Former govs Timipere and Chime of Bayelsa and Enugu were declared free after they joined APC, what a shame.

8. Biafran agitators have always been regarded as funny, even by most Igbos, but Buhari's order to shoot unarmed young people just for wearing Biafran colors certainly turned the tide in their favor.

The list goes on, and on, and at every point, the finger points directly to the sick dictator in Aso Rock.

Thank you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by KingsJohnson(m): 11:39pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

Yeah.

For me, I love Nigerians more than I love Nigeria.

If the people that make up Nigeria do not want to be identified as Nigeria then that wish should be respected.

At the same time, it is senseless to waste the lives of Nigerians just for the hatred of Nigeria

Brodaly, I see dat u are a gentleman by heart not lyk oda Nairalanders, but let me ask u a simply question dat needs a truthful answer

Are you happy wit Nigeria as a country

3 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by OkunrinMeta: 11:40pm On Sep 03, 2017
Nathan2016:

So as old as you are, you dont know the difference between referendum and war...

Keep on promoting biafra by opening treads everywhere.

Everyone knows that Biafra agitation started before jonathan...lol...i mean that guy was clueless but smart

The dullard on the other hand,,, wasnt that smart...just dull.

making dis united comment...

if in your house your father tells you that they will give all your siblings his money, my friend wont you agitate to leave your fathers house.

Abi u go dey house they watch 97%

Personally i have different view on biafra, but what they are agitating is not wrong and with good reasons.

MAGINALISATION. Which is clear.

unless you have on top military personel you see igbo man name included.

Abi igbos no b major tribe in nigeria. based on population.

go to west you see igbos.
go to south you see igbos
go to north you see igbos
go to east you see igbos

and you still dont want them to follow in building the country

thunder fire you

Well am not that old and I know the difference between referendum and war.

I also heard when your leader, Nnamdi Kanu, said Nigeria will burn if the government tries to arrest him.

Then i also heard about the quit notice in the north.

You see, young people like me usually think such threats could escalate into the loss of innocent lives and subsequently Civil war.

For young people who value human live and who are students of Nigerian history, even the remote possibility of a Civil war is something that should be squashed.

I don't know about old men like you
Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by freshest4live: 11:41pm On Sep 03, 2017
malware:

Are the Northers the only ones holding this country together? What a powerful set of people....

Meanwhile, no matter how violent IPOB goes, they would only succeed in killing their kinsmen as they wouldn't dare cross to other states to unleash their non-existent violence cheesy
I dey tell you. These wailers only make me admire the Northerners more, I never knew they were so powerful.

4 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Yyeske(m): 11:41pm On Sep 03, 2017
KingsJohnson:

But on a serious note brodaly, wat z ur issue wit Biafra
Hmmm,ok, Biafra isn't what we need now and if our people prefer it now, there are legitimate ways of going of going about it or we risk a war

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by oladeebo: 11:42pm On Sep 03, 2017
Kazim88:

They shouldn't be war but Nigeria bring war... it's not a bad idea..

UN is already aware of state plan to commit genocide against Igbos...

Biafra would fight not with bullets... Naa no necessary... bullet are for Lower mind..

Buhari would be jailed at his old age for genocide... go and ask Charles Tailor.

Nigeria Economy would crumble... to ashes.

War is madness in 2017... you gain nothing. absolutely nothing.

Nigeria only weapon is violence and War... believe me they have lost the battle... 100% sure.... port to Biafra because they have already win... War is a losing tool.
how can people be low to this level!
2017 but what's is happening in Syria libya, iraq, sudan somalia mali etc
where UN?
ignorant

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by madridsta007(m): 11:43pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:
One would imagine that in five years that Jonathan was in Power, if these protests and loud requests for secession was brought forward and it was this loud, It might have been easier for the Igbo nation to get what they seem to want.

Of course there is also the question of whether the agitators actually speak the mind of the Igbo Nation. This is because in my corner of the country, the Igbo men I know do not seem to be very much in support of Master Nnamdi. Still, these issues should be addressed by way of logical two way discussion.

So my questions are:

Do you want the Hausa man to go and face his onions and cow while leaving the oil for only the east to enjoy because they are very selfless like Jesus?

Right from the days of Obasanjo, there was. It was MASSOB and BZM.
Then Radio Biafra. Yes, it started during Obasanjo's time.

Obj arrested members of MASSOB and BZM when the duo went violent.
Radio Biafra was ignored.

Ya Ardua came in and ignored them.

Jonathan came in and ignored them. Kanu had a large rally in the East during that period and poured scathing remarks on GEJ. He ignored them.

Buhari came and, like a carpenter who sees every problem like a nail, he clamped down heavily on them. It was HIS error.
They are pacifist -non violent in their approach -hence will get the ears and emotions of the international community and objective Nigerians.

There are countless of secessionists radio and movement in the United States for instance. California, for example, has been crying secession since. Every US President has ignored them till date. When you clamp down on them, you give them publicity.

Blame Buhari and his advisers.

5 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by KingsJohnson(m): 11:44pm On Sep 03, 2017
Yyeske:
The arewa youths gave you a quit notice and you went crying to UN and northern elders, what if Yorubas did same, I'm sure you'll send a delegation to heaven. Come get your referendum as we speak now

Lol! We all knows dat d Yoruba's has no say in Nigeria. As regard d referendum, who later chicken out, who z begging d peace loving Igbo to stay again

My BRODA, wat u guys failed to understand is dat dis is not 1967 wen d war happened only in d South East rada dis tym around d whole country will burn down, every part of it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by crunchyg: 11:46pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

So my questions are:

The call was the same, it was only Buhari that escalated the whole thing by arresting Nnamdi Kanu in the first place. Jonathan used his head but Buhari is using his.... to think and not his head

2 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by HausaOverlord: 11:47pm On Sep 03, 2017
leisuretym:

its your useless Mohamed and the mod that moved this to front page and seun that is selfish, not my Jesus,
comprehension seems to be a big problem for u.
Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Yyeske(m): 11:48pm On Sep 03, 2017
KingsJohnson:

Lol! We all knows dat d Yoruba's has no say in Nigeria. As regard d referendum, who later chicken out, who z begging d peace loving Igbo to stay again

My BRODA, wat u guys failed to understand is dat dis is not 1967 wen d war happened only in d South East rada dis tym around d whole country will burn down, every part of it
Since it's that easy, declare Biafra today and let's see .
It was Igbo elders who foolishly kept quiet all the while that started begging

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by oladeebo: 11:49pm On Sep 03, 2017
igbo don't be deceived go and prepared for war!
you can't gain independence from Nigeria with peace
ok!

2 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Sep 03, 2017
Let the north go eat their onions and whatever.

The northerners have been using south south and southeast resources for national budgets for their selfish interests yet refusing to bring all the resources they have in the north for benchmarking. Who is fooling who

Biafra restoration or no peace in Nigeria government after government until Biafra is restored. Then Nigeria will be unclad to the whole world to watch how corrupt and lazy Nigeria government are.

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by KingsJohnson(m): 11:50pm On Sep 03, 2017
Yyeske:
Hmmm,ok, Biafra isn't what we need now and if our people prefer it now, there are legitimate ways of going of going about it or we risk a war

Brodaly, am sick and tired to be called a Nigeria, no light, no good road, no water, poverty everywhere, injustice, hunger, corruption, favouritism, nepotism and d worst no hope.

A adage says dat poverty z not being witout money but being without hope, brodaly, we n u hv no hope in dis country. Letz called a spade a spade n stop pretending. If breakup is d way forward, let embrace is Dan living in dis darkness

2 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by OkunrinMeta: 11:50pm On Sep 03, 2017
KingsJohnson:

Brodaly, I see dat u are a gentleman by heart not lyk oda Nairalanders, but let me ask u a simply question dat needs a truthful answer

Are you happy wit Nigeria as a country

"Secessionism" is against Nairaland rules. I could be banned if I answered that.

What i can say is that War or Violence is senseless. More than that, we must watch what we say online because while we might know where to draw the line between mere talk and action, a lot of people who visit nairaland may not. It will not be nice to spill hate everywhere online for one hot-headed young man to see and go violent on innocent persons.

There are smart ways to get what we want as a people. Lots of countries have tried to breakup through violence e.g Sudan. The end result is years or decades of bloodshed with no end in sight with the agitators farther and farther from their goal.

In Nigeria, majority of the people who claim to lead this cause are only in it for selfish reasons and they are more willing to waste the lives of foot soldiers that risk their own lives.
Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by sapele914(m): 11:51pm On Sep 03, 2017
Kazim88:

YES.. 100% YES.

jonathan ignored him. Which is what a wise leader would do not attacking every opposition.
not harassing an entire tribe because of One person... with "his people " mentality.
Please direct us to the youtube speech made when Jonathan and pdp were in power

2 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Nathan2016: 11:51pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

Well am not that old and I know the difference between referendum and war.

I also heard when your leader, Nnamdi Kanu, said Nigeria will burn if the government tries to arrest him.

Then i also heard about the quit notice in the north.

You see, young people like me usually think such threats could escalate into the loss of innocent lives and subsequently Civil war.

For young people who value human live and who are students of Nigerian history, even the remote possibility of a Civil war is something that should be squashed.

I don't know about old men like you

Nothing will burn,, if he is rearrested, but to me that exactly what hes looking for.

let me ask you....

if you are as old as nnmadi, who is very popular

wont you like to immortolise yourself

if Nigeria touches that guy, they just create a matayr out of him.. and hes going to be forever worshiped

those giving quick notice are just stevie wonders

civil war...lol.... u too dey fear

2 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by KingsJohnson(m): 11:52pm On Sep 03, 2017
Jolar101:
Let the north go eat their onions and whatever.

The northerners have been using south south and southeast resources as national budgets for their selfish interests yet refusing to bring all the resources they have in the north for benchmarking. Who is who

Biafra restoration or no peace in Nigeria government after government until Biafra restored. Then Nigeria will be unclad to the whole world to see corrupt Nigeria government.

I don't even know wat is wrong wit Nigeria and everybody in it, Ojukwu proposal a confederation, dey refused, all dey want z to remain a parasite, dragging d ever progressive Igbo's backward

4 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by toprealman: 11:53pm On Sep 03, 2017
You eat when you are hungry, not before.

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Yyeske(m): 11:58pm On Sep 03, 2017
KingsJohnson:

Brodaly, am sick and tired to be called a Nigeria, no light, no good road, no water, poverty everywhere, injustice, hunger, corruption, favouritism, nepotism and d worst no hope.

A adage says dat poverty z not being witout money but being without hope, brodaly, we n u hv no hope in dis country. Letz called a spade a spade n stop pretending. If breakup is d way forward, let embrace is Dan living in dis darkness
Then break up in peace and not in war, you either go the Quebec, Scotland form or Eritrea, South Sudan way.
It's easy to get a referendum from Nigeria, ask anything constitutional lawyer you know

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by HausaOverlord: 11:58pm On Sep 03, 2017
KingsJohnson:

I don't even know wat is wrong wit Nigeria and everybody in it, Ojukwu proposal a confederation, dey refused, all dey want z to remain a parasite, dragging d ever progressive Igbo's backward
lmao ever progressive, buhhahahah

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Josh44s(m): 12:00am On Sep 04, 2017
Nigerians are a set of confused group of people living in a geographic region which is located in the West region of Africa. Una good night

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by wizygreat2000(m): 12:01am On Sep 04, 2017
mazimee:
Jonathan ignored them, but Buhari didn't.
He arrested Kanu, that worsen the whole issue.
Oga Jonathan Add the Ibos to his Government and make them fill important in Government but the Zoo Presido do other wise......so let zoo president face what is started� Useless president on Earth

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by OkunrinMeta: 12:02am On Sep 04, 2017
LoudNdclear:

secondly you saying "selfish like Jesus" was that Aimed at making peace or raising awareness to the imminent war?
Just shut your mouth son..... and stop blowing hot and cold air!!! Prophet Mohammed wouldn't be happy with you for doing that.... lol

This is the only part i would respond to. If you could not see that i said SELFLESS, then there is no reason to believe you saw or understood any other thing I have said. I am a Christian, and i would never call Jesus selfish.

I will not respond to you any further
Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Abagworo(m): 12:03am On Sep 04, 2017
PDP is behind Radio Biafra and IPOB which is purely a party affair trying to create war between Igbos and Nigeria. There's been agitations in the past including MASSOB that still exists but those ones were based more on Igbo interest than PDP interest.

3 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by KingsJohnson(m): 12:04am On Sep 04, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

"Secessionism" is against Nairaland rules. I could be banned if I answered that.

What i can say is that War or Violence is senseless. More than that, we must watch what we say online because while we might know where to draw the line between mere talk and action, a lot of people who visit nairaland may not. It will not be nice to spill hate everywhere online for one hot-headed young man to see and go violent on innocent persons.

There are smart ways to get what we want as a people. Lots of countries have tried to breakup through violence e.g Sudan. The end result is years or decades of bloodshed with no end in sight with the agitators farther and farther from their goal.

In Nigeria, majority of the people who claim to lead this cause are only in it for selfish reasons and they are more willing to waste the lives of foot soldiers that risk their own lives.

You totally ignored d question. hweva nobody z calling for violence or war.

Nelson Mandela ended apartheid in South Africa without killing anybody, Martin King Jr ended segregation in America wit no violence, why z Africa always afraid of change

Dis is 21 century for crying out loud, everything z not abt war or violence n Nnamdi Kalu n IPOB has kept to dat since dey started.

Again do u fink Biafra z abt self interest It is an ideology, a way of lyf dat can never be kill. Wat happened wen Radio Biafra was jammed wat happened wen Nnamdi Kalu was arrested Biafra can't be stopped by brodaly

4 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Yyeske(m): 12:05am On Sep 04, 2017
KingsJohnson:

That parasite word is part of the hate speeches being talked about, stop it.
If northerners are parasites, why are igbos living there and refusing to come back home? Same way you are talking now was how Germans talked about the Aryan race that finally led to WW2, stop that superiority crap

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by djvyruz(m): 12:05am On Sep 04, 2017
[quote author=Yabiola26 post=60103357][/quote]
hmmm...first and foremost igbos should count south south out of thier madness...if Igbos wanna fight for thier freedom,they should do that and forget about oil money,the should count south south out of thier foolishness...i will always ask this question...what was Nnamdi Kanu's occupation,job or hand work before he started this madness?
Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Paulismech: 12:06am On Sep 04, 2017
I think, during Goodluck Jonathan' s time, he included d ignis in his govt and there were not treated as second citizens like they are treated now

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Festus Keyamo And Godswill Akpabio Laugh Out Loud (Photos) / Special Forces Kill Scores Of Bandits Terrorising Abuja-Kaduna Road / President Jonathan Arriving Lagos Today For A Two-day Visit (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.