Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,892 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

13 Confident Ways To Overcome Shyness - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 13 Confident Ways To Overcome Shyness (3290 Views)

I’m Shy Around Guys, How Do I Overcome The Shyness / 5 Things I Had To Overcome To Find My Dream Woman / Top 3 Bad Habits Among Youths And How To Overcome Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

13 Confident Ways To Overcome Shyness by ashewoboy(m): 1:41pm On Sep 11, 2017
13 Confident Ways to Overcome Your Shyness

Those who have never suffered from shyness have no idea how debilitating it can be, especially for someone in a professional situation. If shyness is holding you back, learn how to get past it and become more confident.

Shyness can truly hold people back--partly because those who are shy tend to avoid public situations
and speaking up, and partly because they experience so much chronic anxiety.

If that's you, take comfort in knowing you are far from alone--four out of 10 people consider themselves shy.
But here's the good news: Shyness can be overcome. With time and effort and a desire to change, it's possible to break through.
If your shyness is severe, you may need help from a therapist or counselor, but most people can overcome it on their own.
Take your first steps in getting past shyness with these 13 techniques to help you become a more confident you.

1. Don't tell.
There's no need to advertise your shyness. Those who are close to you already know, and others may never even have an opportunity to notice. It's not as visible as you probably think.

2. Keep it light.
If others bring up your shyness, keep your tone casual. If it becomes part of a discussion, speak of it lightheartedly.

3. Change your tone.
If you blush when you're uncomfortable, don't equate it with shyness. Let it stand on its own: "I've always been quick to blush."

4. Avoid the label.
Don't label yourself as shy--or as anything. Let yourself be defined as a unique individual, not a single trait.

5. Stop self-sabotaging.
Sometimes we really are our own worst enemy. Don't allow your inner critic to put you down. Instead, analyze the power of that voice so you can defuse it.

6. Know your strengths.
Make a list of all your positive qualities--enlist a friend or family member to help if you need to--and read or recite it when you're feeling insecure. Let it remind you how much you have to offer.

7. Choose relationships carefully.
Shy people tend to have fewer but deeper friendships--which means your choice of friend or partner is even more important. Give your time to the people in your life who are responsive, warm, and encouraging.

8. Avoid bullies and teases.
There are always a few people who are willing to be cruel or sarcastic if it makes for a good punch line, some who just have no sense of what's appropriate, and some who don't care whom they hurt. Keep a healthy distance from these people.

9. Watch carefully.
Most of us are hardest on ourselves, so make a habit of observing others (without making a big deal out of it). You may find that other people are suffering from their own symptoms of insecurity and that you are not alone.

10. Remember that one bad moment doesn't mean a bad day.
Especially when you spend a lot of time inside your own head, as shy people tend to do, it's easy to distort experiences, to think that your shyness ruined an entire event--when chances are it wasn't a big deal to anyone but you.

11. Shut down your imagination.
Shy people sometimes feel disapproval or rejection even when it isn't there. People probably like you much more than you give yourself credit for.

12. Stare it down.
Sometimes when you're scared, the best thing to do is to face it head on. If you're frightened, just stare it down and lean into it.

13. Name it.
Make a list of all your jitters and worries. Name them, plan how you're going to eliminate them, and move forward.
Suffering from shyness shouldn't keep you from the success you are seeking, so try these simple tools and make them work for you--in fact, they're good techniques to try whether you're shy or not.

source: https://www.inc.com/lolly-daskal/13-confident-ways-to-overcome-your-shyness.html

cc: lalasticlala.

p.s: if you are a shy guy, you will miss a whole lot of pvssiescheesy- ashewoboy2017.

1 Like

Re: 13 Confident Ways To Overcome Shyness by eezeribe(m): 1:42pm On Sep 11, 2017
OK
Re: 13 Confident Ways To Overcome Shyness by Tinie: 1:54pm On Sep 11, 2017
Always have an open body language (dont cross hands and co), smile, embarass yourself once in a while (like say something silly, youll realise that you wont die when you embarrass yourself)

Never compare yourself to someone else (youll concentrate on your deficiencies), go to social events more (even fellowship) and most importantly realize the world doesnt evolve around you (after making a mistake, shy guys will replay the event in their head for days! while everyone else would have moved on)

1 Like

Re: 13 Confident Ways To Overcome Shyness by ashewoboy(m): 2:02pm On Sep 11, 2017
Tinie:
Always have an open body language (dont cross hands and co), smile, embarass yourself once in a while (like say something silly, youll realise that you wont die when you embarrass yourself)

Never compare yourself to someone else (youll concentrate on your deficiencies), go to social events more (even fellowship) and most importantly realize the world doesnt evolve around you (after making a mistake, shy guys will replay the event in their head for days! while everyone else would have moved on)

true.
Re: 13 Confident Ways To Overcome Shyness by Nobody: 2:22pm On Sep 11, 2017
14. Creep up behind her and smack her gently on her buttcheeks...
Re: 13 Confident Ways To Overcome Shyness by ashewoboy(m): 2:50pm On Sep 11, 2017
ShyCypher:
14. Creep up behind her and smack her gently on her buttcheeks...

not true.
Re: 13 Confident Ways To Overcome Shyness by babyfaceafrica: 3:07pm On Sep 11, 2017
Lolz...shy boys like Seun osewa and adenuga mike are making money..while extroverts like ashewoboy ate posting threads upandawn....who do you prefer?..the noise makers or the money makers

5 Likes

Re: 13 Confident Ways To Overcome Shyness by ashewoboy(m): 8:37pm On Sep 11, 2017
lalasticlala.
Re: 13 Confident Ways To Overcome Shyness by ashewoboy(m): 9:59am On Jan 01, 2018
Lalasticlala, let's go to frontpage.
Re: 13 Confident Ways To Overcome Shyness by ubunja(m): 10:25am On Jan 01, 2018
here is a much realistic list on how to overcome shyness
1.always look people in the eye.it shows confidence and demonstrates u have nothing to hide.
2.always stand up straight (imagine a string on top of your head pullung u up.you'll stand up straighter).
3.speak slowly.always in a low deep tone
4.walk slowly.like you have a million dollars in your pocket.dont walk like u apologize for being alive.
5.watch your hands.never allow your hands anywhere near your face.put them either in your pockets or on your waist.dont fidget.
6.give firm handshakes.they demonstrate confidence and power.
7.dress confidently.smell confidently, use good deodorant.
8.fix yourself.take regular showers.brush teeth.you will face the world with confidence.
9.respect yourself.associate with uplifting stuff.no olosho.no addictions.that builds character and strengthens confidence
10.demand respect due to you.somebody cuts in front of u in queue, speak up.someone steps on u,speak up.it builds u. dont be a doormat and a playground.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Confident Ways To Overcome Shyness by ashewoboy(m): 2:42pm On Feb 07, 2018
all these rules are fvck. i have tried them and i am still shy. lalasticlala, what can i do?
Re: 13 Confident Ways To Overcome Shyness by josh123(m): 10:27am On Mar 04, 2018
ashewoboy:
all these rules are fvck. i have tried them and i am still shy. lalasticlala, what can i do?
fucck a girl
Re: 13 Confident Ways To Overcome Shyness by ashewoboy(m): 6:49pm On Mar 05, 2018
Lalasticlala.
Re: 13 Confident Ways To Overcome Shyness by Theoptimisticgu: 3:44pm On Apr 11, 2021
It depends on your current situation ,like I for example I use to be vibrant young boy that dance to songs publicly without feeling what someone will think about me, but ever since some events that happen in my life I began to feel all eyes on me,fidgeting..
Re: 13 Confident Ways To Overcome Shyness by Theoptimisticgu: 3:45pm On Apr 11, 2021
Goodluck

(1) (Reply)

She Wasn't Easy To Penetrate But She Did This / Girlfriend Needed For Serious Relationship / I Have Stayed For Months Without Knacking, Konji Is Real” – Lady Cries Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.