Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,592 members, 7,812,929 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:50 PM

My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village (46919 Views)

Tenant In Shock After Lagos Landlord Passed Toilet Pipe Through His Apartment / Olu Okeowo's House: Man Shocked After Visiting His Friend’s Mansion In Lagos / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by Naijashortcode(m): 10:34pm On Sep 18, 2017
Igbo proverb once said wealth reach home, they know the creator.......my dear let him build any where he like. What matter is comfort not location.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by dreamworld: 10:34pm On Sep 18, 2017
Thats d best
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by twinskenny(m): 10:35pm On Sep 18, 2017
czarina:
If he's Ibo no biggie! Na their way be that grin Check my siggie

Do u massage for men�
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by Queenlovely(f): 10:36pm On Sep 18, 2017
zulex880:
sadYour uncle is a tenant in the city and have a mansion in his village

You friend (abi na you sef) get 10 carry overs in her final year

Your uncle wife no dey gree apologize

OP I no just understand you, na only you get all the problem for this country and seems nairaland has turned to your village elders meeting where family issues are being addressed sad sad sad

jealousy go kill you oh. Dont worry your day would come
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by Queenlovely(f): 10:39pm On Sep 18, 2017
RomeoEmpire:
After the hustle, he will probably fyn his square root bak to d villa @old age. The hustle is real mehn..

his kids dont even know their hometown
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by 1nigeriamyfoot: 10:41pm On Sep 18, 2017
Queenlovely:
I must confess I dont know the section to post this. But I have a serious question I must ask.
Is it necessary to have a house in the village when you spend most of your life outside the village? My uncles hardly visit their mansions in the village. Other people are just occupying the property. They only come back once in a blue moon. They can just breeze in and breeze out tomorrow.
My question now is, is it not better to have that mansion in the city, than rent an apartment in the city. You are a tenant in the city in one poor make-shift house, but own a duplex in the village that is empty. Is it even economically wise? It baffles logic and common sense. Dont give me that shity excuse about Home town and burial.
attention seeker! the last time your friend had 10 carry over but now your brother built mansion... go & work for your own money then spend it the way that it pleases you
EOD

1 Like

Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by nextstep(m): 10:42pm On Sep 18, 2017
There are many reasons, as some have alluded to:

1. One of the biggest lessons learned in the aftermath of the civil war is that what we build in other people's land can be seized.
2. If we go home for holidays, where will we stay/receive guests? Are we going to squat?
3. Cultural expectations: you can have mansion elsewhere, but if you don't put your roots down at home, you or your children could be seen as foreigners in your father's land.
4. We are eternally hopeful that we will stop our hustle and retire happily at home
5. It's far cheaper to acquire land and build in villa, than to do the same in Lagos.

Many of my older uncles/papas retired to the villa after hustling in Lagos fom 50s-90s, and are peacefully enjoying their last days in the homes they built, far from the noise and bustle of Lagos. Of course, some bought properties around Lagos and are earning rent, but the majority of them didn't.

8 Likes

Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by morereb10: 10:45pm On Sep 18, 2017
ur uncle must be an igbo man
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by Vincent001: 10:47pm On Sep 18, 2017
that is why you are not your Uncle. When you make your money then you do otherwise.
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by Oxenomy: 10:51pm On Sep 18, 2017
cashlurd:
I have always pointed this same thing to everyone who cares to listen. It's a very insane idea. Living in a rented apartment in the city and having so many rooms vacant in ur duplex at the village. And it's saddening that igbos do this a lot. They believe building a house in the village is a big accomplishment. The money I will use to build a duplex in the village which I know is a once in a while abode, I will use it and do so many landed property investments in the city
he should leave his village and build it in your city so that you will use it and blackmail him when he tries to demand for his right? .. You think Igbos don't have sense..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by Customer80: 10:52pm On Sep 18, 2017
Queenlovely:
I must confess I dont know the section to post this. But I have a serious question I must ask.
Is it necessary to have a house in the village when you spend most of your life outside the village? My uncles hardly visit their mansions in the village. Other people are just occupying the property. They only come back once in a blue moon. They can just breeze in and breeze out tomorrow.
My question now is, is it not better to have that mansion in the city, than rent an apartment in the city. You are a tenant in the city in one poor make-shift house, but own a duplex in the village that is empty. Is it even economically wise? It baffles logic and common sense. Dont give me that shity excuse about Home town and burial.
That city your uncles live is someone's village, your uncles are doing the right thing

7 Likes

Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by Customer80: 10:55pm On Sep 18, 2017
fav444:
Build it in the city especially in ur state capital where you have 100% right to talk without being labeled "non indigene". Besides, Nigeria get k-leg now a drastic change is eminent but no one can actually tell the direction of that change.
too much sense, i like women with brain
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by nextstep(m): 10:56pm On Sep 18, 2017
cashlurd:
I have always pointed this same thing to everyone who cares to listen. It's a very insane idea. Living in a rented apartment in the city and having so many rooms vacant in ur duplex at the village. And it's saddening that igbos do this a lot. They believe building a house in the village is a big accomplishment. The money I will use to build a duplex in the village which I know is a once in a while abode, I will use it and do so many landed property investments in the city

Many times land has been gifted to you in the villa (usually inheritance), so the cost there is zero. Often too, the cost to buy land and build on it is far less than trying to do the same in Lagos. I can't imagine that you can build many rental properties in Lagos with the amount it takes to build a duplex in villa. Besides, if you're constantly under threat of losing your property in Lagos (upheaval, Oba and Lagoon), will you place much confidence in it? Besides, the vast majority of Igbos came seeking opportunity, and never consider Lagos their home (in spite of the fact that's where they live 360 days out of the year) :-)

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by Nobody: 10:57pm On Sep 18, 2017
I'm very sure he's Igbo! grin
Igbo men are very fond of that. I'm yet to understand the logic behind it.
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by bmos(m): 10:58pm On Sep 18, 2017
MhizzAJ:
Build it in d village

Serves him right. He was thinking through his h'ass
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by gudvibz(f): 11:04pm On Sep 18, 2017
He may have built it with the intention that he and his family have a place to stay whenever they come home, i say this cos thats what most elderly pple do or say they want
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by janykute: 11:06pm On Sep 18, 2017
LadyGoddiva:
I'm very sure he's Igbo! grin
Igbo men are very fond of that. I'm yet to understand the logic behind it.
Yet to understand the logic behind it?as if you are not in this country to see what is happening.

2 Likes

Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by patval(f): 11:08pm On Sep 18, 2017
you will never know the importance of village house until you want do ceremony.
some people in the city does not go village today cos no shelter.
Since my father finished his house in the village, he discovered that city is always noisy. He uses every public holiday to go village and every food stuff from village is now original to him.
Having a house in the village gives you sense of security cos nobody will know if you eat seven times a day

10 Likes

Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by Nobody: 11:09pm On Sep 18, 2017
Biko, nwanne tell me what's happening?
janykute:

Yet to understand the logic behind it as if you are not in this country to see what is happening.
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by janykute: 11:13pm On Sep 18, 2017
LadyGoddiva:
Biko, nwanne tell me what's happening?
Well,you won't hear it from me but just know ye that it's not business as usual.
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by VIGI201(m): 11:13pm On Sep 18, 2017
ask ur father d direction
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by bewla(m): 11:28pm On Sep 18, 2017
fav444:
Build it in the city especially in ur state capital where you have 100% right to talk without being labeled "non indigene". Besides, Nigeria get k-leg now a drastic change is eminent but no one can actually tell the direction of that change.
I dig ur opinion ur contact I need to ask u a personal question
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by seniorkachion(m): 11:33pm On Sep 18, 2017
Queenlovely:

his kids dont even know their hometown

A fat lie!!!!

1 Like

Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by obeagu1(m): 11:36pm On Sep 18, 2017
dear op, ur uncle might hv built d one at d villa first with the intention of building something in lagos later but things changed..i advice u ask b4 u judge him..my personal story..my uncle n my dad shared a common house of 6rooms built jointly so they had 3rooms n we 3rooms. we grew up 2 know there was alot of bickering between dem over sharing of land..u can imagine at 60yrs my dad was yet to get his own share of land,hence i swore to never brimg my wife n kids to dat house hence my 1st priority was to get a decent house in my villa 1st n move my family/parent out...n thank God i did dat...n yes iam Igbo.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by Ashley86400: 11:49pm On Sep 18, 2017
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by Ashley86400: 11:49pm On Sep 18, 2017
Is your uncle Ibo? cool
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by Otapipia: 12:10am On Sep 19, 2017
fav444:
That place you call your state capital might end up not being your capital tomorrow. I think building in the village is not a foolish idea because you will end up in the village when you are no more and your children are expected to have a sense of belonging when they wish to return home.
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by Nukualofa: 12:23am On Sep 19, 2017
czarina:
If he's Ibo no biggie! Na their way be that grin Check my siggie
Is it bad?
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by 2016easy2017: 12:39am On Sep 19, 2017
have u ever been cheated by MTN ?, if yes, kindly visit the crime section of nairaland and chose th topic "
Lets All Stop Mtn's Illegal Extortion And Unlawful Deductions Of Our Money&data". you got to contribute. lets all fight MTN now. a LEGAL battle

1 Like

Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by greggng: 12:48am On Sep 19, 2017
Daviddson:
Calling the mods for every of your threads is not being mature you know? I've no grouse against you. smiley

I ve spent more than 8 years on nairaland and I ve not called on any mod to attend to my post. Don't u think I am the real man? I don't beg for favour. .

1 Like

Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by redsun(m): 1:12am On Sep 19, 2017
The money used to buy viable land in a thriving socalled city in Nigeria may be enough to build a sizeable duplex in the village. In the end it boils down to economics and priorities.
Re: My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village by Wiseoldman: 1:47am On Sep 19, 2017
onyenze123:

Don't blame your uncle. I guess he is Igbo. After the civil war, we learnt that Nigeria is not one. We lost property we had in cities (abandoned property) especially buildings. So it is a survival instinct to build a house in village so that whenever crisis occurs or is about to happen (you saw what happened during 2015 election; the quit notice give to Igbo in the north; vote for ambode or be drown in the lagoon... stuffs like that), They have a safety net.

It is a survival instinct. Ask you papa the meaning of Aku-ru-ulo

My friend this war was declared by an Igbo man against him Nigeria. No Nigerian man would ever wake up to declare war against Igbos. History looks like it want to repeat itself with Kanu's "Biafra or Death".

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

**the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** / 10 Most-expensive Luxury Real Estate Locations In Nigeria / Should I Confront Directly Or Report To The Landlord?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.