Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,948 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 (8757 Views)

Three Nigerians Arrested At Sham Wedding In Britain / Nigerians, Highest Number Of African Criminals In Britain - UK Home Office / Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by EloSela(f): 1:11pm On Mar 08, 2010
adconline:

It's either you are delusional or insular

Explain please?
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by vanitty: 1:12pm On Mar 08, 2010
Read this in the evening paper last week,almost brought me to tears. Sad Sad story.
The girl is willing to work but she can't until the home office decides her on fate.
She is not looking for hand-outs.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by MsTom(f): 1:44pm On Mar 08, 2010
Eh ya. I feel so sorry for her. I think she is trying to stick to it since her case is still pending. What a pity. It is cos of situations like this that they advice ladies to have the nos of kids they can take care of irrespective of a man. Cos a man can walk away from the wife and kids but can a mother forget her child? hmmm!. She should be looking for the hubby and ask the govt to help her get child support from the hubby. She is so lucky to have a shop. what if she never got that help? I dont want to imagine that she would be in the streets with 4 kids. pathetic. I hope they dont deny her case. I prayerfully hope they dont.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by Str8talk: 1:52pm On Mar 08, 2010
While looking at the benefits - the opportunities etc

Can we look at the costs and moral angle of it

IS THIS NOT BLACKMAIL?

Who is paying for these benefits or rather who is sweating so that she can enjoy those benefits?
She is a computer science graduate
How many people living in Nigeria have really had the opportunity to have university education
Don't just think about the people living in Lagos and other cities
In any case, JAMB enrolment is less than 30% of applicants
Law graduates have to scramble for places in law school

It is obvious that the people really causing our international image problem are those abroad
or those in Nigeria but educated enough to be able to use technology and internet to defraud

What is really the difference between her reasons and those of yahoo yahoo guys

This is not a sustainable way of building a nation
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by MrCartha: 1:57pm On Mar 08, 2010
Wrex:

I don't get it.Is it a must to live in Britain?

Don't mind those lazy and insolent gold-diggers, they think there's always a short cut to heaven grin grin grin I wonder how they think they can be a Rockfeller without going via the excruciating cruciables which the founding fathers went through?! In Britain money doesn't grow on the trees of Buckingham Palace.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by Moves: 1:57pm On Mar 08, 2010
The lady should take responsibility for her situations, she is where she is because of her actions or inactions, Except she is lying having been in the UK for almost 8years with her kids arriving legally, there provisions and oppurtunities to regularised her stay or to get a status because at a time they most have had some kind of status to bring in the kids and the elderly mother, and even if it was the husband that had the status , then proving even common law lwife and the issue of abuse would make have aided her getting a status, , but her inaction by not asking the right question and seeking advise from the right people, having meet a few nigerians with the same attitude, Also we are failing to ask about the father of the Children; How can a nigerian man abandon his 4kids to homelessness and while he is still earning an income & in the UK, well as some people have said it may just be lies added to make her situation really bad to further her case with the home office or the social welfare, If not so why is the guy not being charged with wife battery and being made to contribute towards the welfare of the children when he is still in the UK, I just get a feeling that we are not being told the full story
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by titsqueez(m): 2:39pm On Mar 08, 2010
what is all this about feeling sorry for this woman, for all you know she may have kicked out her husband or falsely accused him of domestic violence. This is what our naija "ladies" get up to once they know wetin de shelle. Dont be surprised to see this same woman at owambe parties giving her friends the 'hi five salute' for an excellent job scr*win the British tax payer like moi.
no pity for this lady at all. . make she go naija

1 Like

Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by hbrednic: 2:51pm On Mar 08, 2010
if you are in britain,have you asked yourself how can i help?
nigerians in london expecially the yorubas should help the woman out,
when one of her kids becomes successful 2moorow,you all will gather like bees to claim relationship.
[i][/i]
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by GODSON2009(m): 3:05pm On Mar 08, 2010
@poster
what exactlyis the point of this article??
that nigerians or foreigners are feeling the heat of the recession??
first of all in commenting on the article i believe the fault isnt with social services but the ade and family,if you cant get accomodation in london,then move your family farther out of london as i am sure a family in that circumstance will get a place to lay their head at least outside london,white people are not as heartless and unfeeling as we black people irrespective of their faults and shortcomings.
secondly i hope you believe yourself,because i am sure you are not doing a good job of convincing any prospective economic migrant,as long as uk/us and the western world refuse to play fair with third world countries then the migrants will keep on coming and there s really nothing they can do to stop them

n.b situations such as these is not restricted to just nigerians but minority ethnic groups generally including asians,afro-carribeans e.t.c left to me i will still advice anyone to relocate abroad rather than staying in nigeria without any prospects
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by jumobi1(m): 3:21pm On Mar 08, 2010
All those that don't understand why Nigerians/Africans run overseas to suffer rather than suffer at home are rich and daft of just daft.
Overseas, there is something called hope. In Nigeria, there is NO hope. If i go to Nigeria now and look for a job with my foreign degree, won't i have an unfair edge over my counterpart with a Nigerian degree?
I pray for this woman. Nigeria is wack as hell and we have to fight to right it. Lets not deceive ourself that the woman would be better off in Nigeria.
She probably went from level 3 in Nigeria to level 1 in the UK but in the UK, she now has a chance of rising in level whereas in Nigeria, she would be stuck in level 3 until God knows when.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by MsTom(f): 3:38pm On Mar 08, 2010
jumobi1:

All those that don't understand why Nigerians/Africans run overseas to suffer rather than suffer at home are rich and daft of just daft.
Overseas, there is something called hope. In Nigeria, there is NO hope. If i go to Nigeria now and look for a job with my foreign degree, won't i have an unfair edge over my counterpart with a Nigerian degree?
I pray for this woman. Nigeria is wack as hell and we have to fight to right it. Lets not deceive ourself that the woman would be better off in Nigeria.
She probably went from level 3 in Nigeria to level 1 in the UK but in the UK, she now has a chance of rising in level whereas in Nigeria, she would be stuck in level 3 until God knows when.

Even with a foreign degree, there is still little or NO hope of getting a job in nigeria. A lot of people have tried. In a way, I dont blame her for still staying in London. She is way better off in London. She cant have what she is having now if she returns back to nigeria. Even in the states people refuse to go back( those on status) even if offered a free tickets. A lot of people want to go back. But then, go back to do what? Even those in Nigeria are leaving nigeria to other african countries-can you imagine that. Thank God for those who have jobs in Nigeria but what about the high percentage of people who dont? Has anyone imagined how they and their kids live? There should be a way out for her. Her hubby or rather the father of her kids should be sought. God bless the man who offered his shop as a shelter for her and her kids.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by AjanleKoko: 3:44pm On Mar 08, 2010
Na wa.
Rather than trying to help the woman, it's now becoming another Great Nairaland Debate.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by ayettymama(f): 3:46pm On Mar 08, 2010
the point of the article was to try n force the gov.t to house her and give her benefit money

there are plenty of jobs she can do

let her go and work and rent a room for her kids to live- lagos style

kmt

my question is

can she do this rubbish in nigeria?
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by nnalue: 3:53pm On Mar 08, 2010
Wrex:

I don't get it.Is it a must to live in Britain?

Let us stay here and make naija beter,beter than any other country,  nothing like home, "home sweet home"
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by Chefo(m): 4:01pm On Mar 08, 2010
oh I feel like crying. May almighty God help his people. Life is not easy but, I know that with him (God) all things are possible. I pray that same God 'll see her through with the innocent kids. But I 'll not encourage her to come back.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by proudly9ja(m): 4:09pm On Mar 08, 2010
Her story is sad. But it isn't Britain's responsibilty to look after her, her four children and her ageing mother. And why she be given a job when there are citizens who would also like to work? Nigeria needs to start taking responsibilty of its own.

Ofcourse I agree with you. It pains my heart too that my country cannot take of its own talkless of her citizens living abroad but in the case of this woman, she is not begging for money or begging for accommodation. She said it clearly that if given legal status, she is ready to work, now for me, when that time comes, thats additional tax paid to government coffers, both sides gain.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by EloSela(f): 4:17pm On Mar 08, 2010
proudly9ja:

Ofcourse I agree with you. It pains my heart too that my country cannot take of its own talkless of her citizens living abroad but in the case of this woman, she is not begging for money or begging for accommodation. She said it clearly that if given legal status, she is ready to work, now for me, when that time comes, thats additional tax paid to government coffers, both sides gain.

Yes she is begging. She is begging to be allowed to live and work in a country where she does not have the right to. Why should she be allowed to work when there are plenty of British citizens looking for work themselves? One has to have rights to work and earn in this country and she doesn't so she should go back to Nigeria and work there.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by r231(m): 4:29pm On Mar 08, 2010
EloSela:

Yes she is begging. She is begging to be allowed to live and work in a country where she does not have the right to. Why should she be allowed to work when there are plenty of British citizens looking for work themselves? One has to have rights to work and earn in this country and she doesn't so she should go back to Nigeria and work there.

you are right, very good point

generally some nigerian people like to use and abuse the system. I work for the council and you don't want to know how many cases i have to deal with everyday.

if you are illegal, you are not entitle to any public funds period. even though they knw that yet they act like they don't know. you will see people who brings their grand parent/inlaws or whoever for vacation and srt including them on housing application forms
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by tannyfemi: 4:36pm On Mar 08, 2010
I dont know why people are still going to that UK, Its not compulsory you go to UK even if things are rough in Nigeria.
How i wish intending traveller to UK with the mission to stay back there could read this post.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by vanitty: 4:39pm On Mar 08, 2010
The lady in question is not illegal, neither is she Legal undecided
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by ayettymama(f): 4:49pm On Mar 08, 2010
r231:

you are right, very good point

generally some nigerian people like to use and abuse the system. I work for the council and you don't want to know how many cases i have to deal with everyday.

if you are illegal, you are not entitle to any public funds period. even though they knw that yet they act like they don't know. you will see people who brings their grand parent/inlaws or whoever for vacation and srt including them on housing application forms

God bless you

but even that apart

there are ssooooooooooooooooooo many people here illegally

that work- send thier kids to school and live life happily- papers or no papers

why is this foolish woman lamenting?? who sent her on errand??
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by olafolarin(m): 4:58pm On Mar 08, 2010
The story just didnt fit,
According to the source, 'she had a 2 year computer science degree from UNILAG'? Thats wrong,

I graduated from UNILAG,There is no 2 year degree in Nigeria and Computer Science Diploma program in UNILAG is just for a year.

She has 4 kids and lives in a barber's shop?Having lived in London for seven years,She'll definitely have friends,family or otherwise to manage with.There are ways ondon pple live on each other within or without jobs.I know of so many friends who reside illegally in UK with no jobs(especially during the reccession) and were still able to afford a single room in a 2 or 3-bedroom flat.Its not possible in germany where i live but its a common thing all-over UK.

But whatever the case may be,I percieve a campaign to fleece the welfare office.She just wants to get her case acted upon fast and favourably so, in order to get more dough from the Welfare.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by ayettymama(f): 5:02pm On Mar 08, 2010
^^ dont mind them shes LYING!!! and it makes us look soo pathetic!!! its disgusting!

the illiterates come from nowhere claiming what they havent worked for! in turn i say im nigerian and people start lookin at me funny!

its soo fustrating!! kmt immigration seriously need to employ me!
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by r231(m): 5:03pm On Mar 08, 2010
vanitty:

The lady in question is not illegal, neither is she Legal undecided

but i still don't know why she didn't apply for child benefit and child tax credit if those kids were born here
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by r231(m): 5:06pm On Mar 08, 2010
olafolarin:

The story just didnt fit,
According to the source, 'she had a 2 year computer science degree from UNILAG'? Thats wrong,

I graduated from UNILAG,There is no 2 year degree in Nigeria and Computer Science Diploma program in UNILAG is just for a year.

She has 4 kids and lives in a barber's shop?Having lived in London for seven years,She'll definitely have friends,family or otherwise to manage with.There are ways ondon pple live on each other within or without jobs.I know of so many friends who reside illegally in UK with no jobs(especially during the reccession) and were still able to afford a single room in a 2 or 3-bedroom flat.Its not possible in germany where i live but its a common thing all-over UK.

But whatever the case may be,I percieve a campaign to fleece the welfare office.She just wants to get her case acted upon fast and favourably so, in order to get more dough from the Welfare.

dats all she wants and its not even looking good for her cus the home office don't have a record of her
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by vanitty: 5:10pm On Mar 08, 2010
She is not here illegally so there is really is no point berating her telling her to go back to Nigeria but
I believe it is actually the social services that got her the place she stays now and as someone pointed out there is a change in law that will stop this sort of thing from happening.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by Nobody: 5:13pm On Mar 08, 2010
oyewolejos:

WORD

There are thousands of this stories all over the world.Stay home if u don't want to end up like this.
To ladies after Diaspora based guys this is a lesson for you.
Not all that glitters is Gold

oyewolejos I respect your opinion but I am living in the states. I can tell you life is easy NOWHERE. In countries like the US, England; etc perceived to be world super powers you still have rocky/ flip flop economies and poverty however it is beneficial to live in those countries than to live in "third world countries" with stigmas and no guarantees. While it is easy to say "do this or do that" in reality it is HARD. My mother came from jamaica to the US in 1980 at the age of 18. She took on odd jobs and was responsible for her 2 year old daughter who was still in Jamaica. To make a long story short my mother worked HARD and as a result is still suffering physical pain but because of her "high" income the government is still treating her as an expendible existence denying her a chance to actually settle/ enjoy her lifestyle despite her condition. Life is HARD. It's all about money, dinero, pounds and pasos. You could say the Nigerian woman should have stayed in Nigeria to make life easier but check the facts. The average Nigerian has an IQ that makes even the smartest American look like a dunce lol however it is a fact that in a Eurocentric world Nigerian education is still looked down upon therefore if she wanted life to better for her children after losing a comfortable lifestyle, it would have been in her best interest to seek foreign education. The world is in a recession right now - so 'THEY' say - so everywhere it's a constant struggle, no easy way out.

My advice to the lady
, keep her faith in God, instill the importance of education in her children who apparently are doing well, stress to them to use her life as an example of where they should not be and lastly for her to NEVER give up. Good is in store for her.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by ayettymama(f): 5:16pm On Mar 08, 2010
IF she has no status shes illegal

its not soo complicated

they are onli pittyin her cos of her kids

she may be awaitin response but in the mean time shes illegal

and not entitled to anything

i hink im gna work for immigration now
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by Busybody2(f): 5:19pm On Mar 08, 2010
Kenny_G, Robby, Moves, tit_squeeze, Ayettymama, r231 and Olafolarin, you are right their is too much similarity in her story compared to people out to fleece gullible UK tax payers out of their hard earned cash, and it is obvious she is doing it for benefit/Council housing, but what can we do, it is not her fault but the fault of the Government for living themselves open to abuse.

The Government don't care either because they have their own nose in the trough too with their expenses claim.

@Jumie, Vannity, and Proudlynaija

Stop allowing sentiments to becloud your sense of reasoning, how is she being denied the chance to work? The UK gOVERNMENT has known and been saying since 1997 that the number of NI'S issued is more than the number of people in the Country i.e. apart from legal and illegal people all having NI NUMBERS, some even have two or more. . .

And besides didn't she state in her story that she used to work? Obviously with whats known as an "ori olori" or probably paying 80 to get a fake indefinate stamp from the Home Office, so if she really wants to work, this option is still available to her abeg. Its clear she just wants the Council flat with the benefits that comes with it, and luckily for her, this new EU law means she gets it, and she doesn't even have to wait till July anymore.

She probably used that Barbers shop for a few days to attract more sympathy to herself, Social Services would not allow her do that with one child talkless of 4 children and would have taken her kids into care, and why was she self-medicating her daughter's boil when health care on the NHS is free, especially to all children under the age of 18.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by 2plus4is24: 6:15pm On Mar 08, 2010
Busy_body:

My take on this is that everyone living in this Country, illegal or legal or otherwise should take time out frequently to brush up on the law lest they got caught out.

Social Workers/Social Services are programmed to always say they don't provide accommodation despite the law that binds them to provide accommodation under the National Assistance Act, NASS, Children's Act as her children have assumed the "child in need/child at risk" status, etc hence the reason accommodation suddenly materialised from them after Kidscape applied pressure on them.

And unless Social Services which eventually provided accommodation for them placed them in care homes, all they would have done was provide them with funds for rent deposit and family would have had to apply for housing benefit/local housing allowance from Croydon Council. If she had known this and followed this route, she could have continued to use whatever papers she had to continue working and not have become homeless and destitute and her fourth child whom she had here would have been entitled to child benefit and child tax credit depending on the status of the paper she is using to work.

With the domestic violence issue, she could have gone to a women's refuge to seek help.

If she was an illegal/asylum seeker who had been denied stay, she and her children would have been carted off to a deportation centre to await deportation and would at least be fed and clothed, but the fact was she was allowed to roam the streets, my query is even if she is not entitled to benefit, why didn't she claim asylum seeker's whachumacallit, that one where they give them vouchers to buy food and clothes and house them until her case is decided?

Anyway, the European COURT PASSED a law 2 weeks ago after a Somalian and Portuguese mother whose husbands deserted them too, that anyone with a child or children in school has a right to benefits and council housing and public funds regardless of the fact that they are illegal or not, so this law thankfully covers her too

ehn ehn Just like that      The Last time i checked, Ukba was busy tightening their borders.
You are saying Free housing and public funds for all women with kids whether legal or illegal residents   I laugh in Portugese haha hah ah a grin grin
What is your source?
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by r231(m): 6:28pm On Mar 08, 2010
2plus4is24:

ehn ehn Just like that The Last time i checked, Ukba was busy tightening their borders.
You are saying Free housing and public funds for all women with kids whether legal or illegal residents I laugh in Portugese haha hah ah a grin grin
What is your source?

it depends on individual cases and status

but in most cases where kids are involved and parents are illegal, they put section 20 children act into consideration
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by proudly9ja(m): 6:32pm On Mar 08, 2010

I think thats quite unfair. The UK have a system to remain here legally. She has applied the normal way to be allowed to stay and work normally. Her case is not a case of someone who left Nigeria to come stay here illegally, hers is an unfortunate situation where her husband left her and her kids.

Like I explained earlier, returning to Nigeria may be a more difficult situation. But she has braved the situation and has refused to stay and work illegally, thats why she applied.

Lets wait till her application is accepted/refused before 'deciding her fate'. As it is, I still maintain she waits. Whats the rush in going back to Nigeria where she might not get a job?

As for there bing no jobs for citizens, well, I don't know about that. People get jobs everyday and recruitment agencies still ask for applications. A coy will compare resumes and choose who will offer their organisation better services. If she is chosen over many others, how is it a problem?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Picture of Broad Street - Lagos (1951) / Plane Touches Down At Akwa Ibom For 1st Time! (video) / Share Your Experience: The Longest Journey You've Ever Made.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.