Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,376 members, 7,812,094 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:06 AM

Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 (8760 Views)

Three Nigerians Arrested At Sham Wedding In Britain / Nigerians, Highest Number Of African Criminals In Britain - UK Home Office / Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by proudly9ja(m): 6:39pm On Mar 08, 2010
@Jumie, Vannity, and Proudlynaija

Stop allowing sentiments to becloud your sense of reasoning, how is she being denied the chance to work? The UK gOVERNMENT has known and been saying since 1997 that the number of NI'S issued is more than the number of people in the Country i.e. apart from legal and illegal people all having NI NUMBERS, some even have two or more. . .

And besides didn't she state in her story that she used to work? Obviously with whats known as an "ori olori" or probably paying �80 to get a fake indefinate stamp from the Home Office, so if she really wants to work, this option is still available to her abeg. Its clear she just wants the Council flat with the benefits that comes with it, and luckily for her, this new EU law means she gets it, and she doesn't even have to wait till July anymore.

She probably used that Barbers shop for a few days to attract more sympathy to herself, Social Services would not allow her do that with one child talkless of 4 children and would have taken her kids into care, and why was she self-medicating her daughter's boil when health care on the NHS is free, especially to all children under the age of 18.

I am not well versed in means illegal aliens use in trying to fleece UK govt for benefits so I cannot argue on this point. I am only taking the story as it was posted and All I am saying is that, before we can advice her to go home or not, why don't we wait for here application to come through?

There is no way I can't allow my emotions to becloud my judgement. This is a woman who from the story was in Naija and brought here by her husband with kids with the belief that he has filed papers for here stay. The guy ran away after assaulting her and she was left on her own to care for an ageing mother and 4 kids. Haba, at least we should show some sympathy nah.

If in August, her application is refused, then its a different case. But she has an application pending and the best advice we can give her is to go back to Nigeria? how nah?
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by Busybody2(f): 6:41pm On Mar 08, 2010
@2plus4

Despite me namedropping the law was passed by The European Courts/UKBA releasing a statement that they would not challenge the ruling, your clearly porous brain still want me to provide you a "source" Okay oh, siddon dia and keep laughing like a jackarse and keep wallowing in ignorance, whilst i go and fetch the spoon that i am gonna use to spoonfeed you the source, you hear, shior.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by r231(m): 6:43pm On Mar 08, 2010
proudly9ja:

I am not well versed in means illegal aliens use in trying to fleece UK govt for benefits so I cannot argue on this point. I am only taking the story as it was posted and All I am saying is that, before we can advice her to go home or not, why don't we wait for here application to come through?

There is no way I can't allow my emotions to becloud my judgement. This is a woman who from the story was in Naija and brought here by her husband with kids with the belief that he has filed papers for here stay. The guy ran away after assaulting her and she was left on her own to care for an ageing mother and 4 kids. Haba, at least we should show some sympathy nah.

If in August, her application is refused, then its a different case. But she has an application pending and the best advice we can give her is to go back to Nigeria? how nah?

can any of us prove that?

pple say a lot of stories so that dey can beat the system so you can't realy say who is telling the truth or not
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by vanitty: 6:46pm On Mar 08, 2010
I think the onus will fall on you to disprove it.
There is some sort of good ending to all the stories featured anyway with offers of help from the readers
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by proudly9ja(m): 6:51pm On Mar 08, 2010
r231:

can any of us prove that?

pple say a lot of stories so that dey can beat the system so you can't realy say who is telling the truth or not
And the question back at you is, can we also prove its false? Whatever happened to innocent till proven guilty? I understand that because you work with such cases prolly on a daily bases, you will have seen a lot of people who do such things, but will it be fair to categorize everyone into one basket just because of where they are from?
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by r231(m): 6:51pm On Mar 08, 2010
trust me if you work in public sector, you will see and hear stories worst than this from nigerians. and then you srt investigating and find out that its not actualy true

proudly9ja:

And the question back at you is, can we also prove its false? Whatever happened to innocent till proven guilty? I understand that because you work with such cases prolly on a daily bases, you will have seen a lot of people who do such things, but will it be fair to categorize everyone into one basket j[b]ust because of where they are from?[/b]

thats not true, sorry i don't work like

everybody come up with diff stories everyday and if we feel like we want to investigate either 9ja or not we will.

all i am saying is YES the story is touching but i hv seen worst and at the end of the day its not true.

in her case she has kids which means she is entitle to child benefit, child tax credit and also when it comes to kids social service will not rest.

so its not personal. i am 9ja to the fullest and i help my people whenever i can so far its not going to affect my job
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by ayettymama(f): 7:03pm On Mar 08, 2010
^^ good for you

i will send a passionate letter to the home office as to reasons why she should return to naija!
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by proudly9ja(m): 7:04pm On Mar 08, 2010
ayettymama:

^^ good for you

i will send a passionate letter to the home office as to reasons why she should return to naija!

just curious but what are these 'passionate reasons'?
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by Redman44(m): 7:25pm On Mar 08, 2010
She will be sorted out soon and will most likely be granted legal status in the UK. Her story which was reported by the Evening Standard is very strong [ no matter how fishy it might seem ] and it will hugely help her application. I know her local MP will be interested in the outcome of her application. Hmn.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by ayettymama(f): 7:31pm On Mar 08, 2010
she makes the rest of us look bad!!!

no seriously most of the time i say im angered when white people come up wiv this bs

seein nigerian people do it pisses me off more

ive seen people educated and non educated alike clean and scrub toilets to support thier families back home

students doin all sorts of odd jobs to see themselves thru

a woman with 3 kids doin 2 diff jobs to help her husband back home- carryin all burdens on her back

ive seen single moms with children WORK HARD even the ones with entitlement

none of them sittin arnd waiting for free house and free money

she is not prepared to work! if she was she would be workin instead of gettin herself arrested at the housing office
when she does she will call her friends and family to come do the same

thats where the tax i pay will now go?? i dont think so! they need to start deporting these parasites im gettin fed up of seeing them!
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by chic2pimp(m): 7:32pm On Mar 08, 2010
Redman44:

She will be sorted out soon and will most likely be granted legal status in the UK. Her story which was reported by the Evening Standard is very strong [ no matter how fishy it might seem ] and it will hugely help her application. I know her local MP will be interested in the outcome of her application. Hmn.
^^^^^^ I Agree

I would be absolutely stunned if she is denied legal status in the U.K

ayettymama:

a woman with 3 kids doin 2 diff jobs to help her husband back home- carryin all burdens on her back

ive seen single moms with children WORK HARD even the ones with entitlement

none of them sittin arnd waiting for free house and free money

This is exactly what gets my goat.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by 2plus4is24: 7:48pm On Mar 08, 2010
Busy_body:

@2plus4

Despite me namedropping the law was passed by The European Courts/UKBA releasing a statement that they would not challenge the ruling, your clearly porous brain still want me to provide you a "source" Okay oh, siddon dia and keep laughing like a jackarse and keep wallowing in ignorance, whilst i go and fetch the spoon that i am gonna use to spoonfeed you the source, you hear, shior.

At least is not as Porous as yours? tongue

I only asked for your source? undecided
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by Busybody2(f): 7:53pm On Mar 08, 2010
^^^ my brain ain't porous, besides you didn't ask, you were goading me and coming across as an i-too-know. I shouldn't be training you, but a simple polite "could i have the source please Ma'am" would have sufficed, not your "i laugh in sign language and all that crap you were spouting.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by 2plus4is24: 8:02pm On Mar 08, 2010
Busy_body:

^^^ my brain ain't porous, besides you didn't ask, you were goading me and coming across as an i-too-know. I shouldn't be training you, but a simple polite "could i have the source please Ma'am" would have sufficed, not your "i laugh in sign language and all that crap you were spouting.

Isn't funny when the Joke is on you? grin grin Just following your steps as an I too Know! grin grin Ma'am
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by Busybody2(f): 8:11pm On Mar 08, 2010
Proudlynaija

I maintain the stance that you are still being over sentimental. This story has been played out, trust me, my husband deserted me, my husband beat me, seen it all, if it walks, quacks, like a duck, then it is a duck. . .

Besides i have not said anything about her returning to Naija, what i even said was she should quit the sob story and go to her local HOMELESS person's unit and benefits office because of this new law, and don't have to wait for her determination from UKBA any more.

The same EU law about the Somalian woman and the Portuguese woman was the same as hers, their husbands brought them into the Country and abandoned them, Its all over the internet and news, just happened two weeks ago, you can't miss it.

Hey i remember you from that barbeque last year, howdy? ? ?

@r231

Again, for want of sounding like a broken record, abeg ignore that 2plus4 dude, this law is not just for some selected individual, its applicable to all illegal parents with children in school, you work in the housing department so don't worry, you would soon get the circulars from UKBA, regarding this and if you can't wait, you can google it.

And like you rightly said, section 20 and all section of the Children's Act is applicable to all children, and asides this destitute adult have recourse to accommodation under sec 20 or 21 of The National Assistance Act, as well as rights under the NASS and the free for all Human Rights Act.

Apart from this sef,
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by Redman44(m): 8:16pm On Mar 08, 2010
The title of this thread amuses me  smiley smiley These days, more Anti-Britain threads are popping up on Nairaland.  There is a lot of generalization on Nairaland these days. I love Nigeria and I have always been doing my best to enhance Change in Nigeria. However, I will not badmouth Nigerians living in Britain. The other day, someone on Nairaland said he saw Nigerians looking gloomy in a church in London. It is very bad to always highlight one part of a story without examining the other part.  If Nigeria has been good to someone who returned from Britain after living unsuccessfullly there, it does not mean all Nigerians living and working in Britain are wasting their time there. Britain might not be a paradise but things work there. The Europeans have developed systems that keep their countries afloat despite the recession. There is still racism in Europe but the respective governments of European nations are tackling the menace. Lets look at the pros and cons of living in Britain:

1. EMPLOYMENT: Can anyone tell me any concrete efforts being made by the Nigerian Government to create jobs for the people? Is there any dedicated website for jobseekers in Nigeria? I am talking about a government funded website which has all kinds of information concerning employment matters and jobs. The UK Government has websites that help people get jobs and there are Jobcentres all over Britain. Do the research yourself online.

2. POVERTY:  Though the recession is strong in Britain, it remains the 6th richest country in the world. You might have read reports about poverty in Britain but the reality is that a good number of poor people in Britain live better lives than Middle Class Nigerians. There are a lot of benefits put in place to help the disadvantaged in Britain. Tell me, how much has the Nigerian Government given to you as social benefits since you were born? What has the Nigerian Government really done for your children? For those living in Nigeria, do you know your Local Government Chairman? When did your Local Government Chairman communicate with you last?  Do you receive Monthly Magazines about events in your LG monthly? I need answers to these questions.

3 SECURITY: Crime does occur in Britain but the Police responds 85% of the time when you call them. At least they will get in touch with you 24 hrs after you call, if it is not an emergency. The Police in Britain is well funded and maintained and the officers are paid well. They are also motivated to do their job. What about the Nigerian Police Force? Can you bank on our Policemen to ensure your safety in Nigeria? I believe God is the greatest protector but many Nigerian cops are not well trained and equipped to do their work. SIA workers in Britain earn more than our Policemen.

I could go on and on but lets stop badmouthing a nation that has accepted so many foreigners [ with many of them becoming citizens as time goes on ] and gives them a chance to better their lives. With the likes of Fashola. change is coming gradually to Nigeria. However, we have a long way to go. The 2011 elections will determine whether more Nigerians will keep trying to flee to Europe and America. The system that obtains in Nigeria is bad and out of touch with the modern world. Cheers.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by ayettymama(f): 8:17pm On Mar 08, 2010
then the title should be changed

ojukokoro in britain!
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by Busybody2(f): 8:24pm On Mar 08, 2010
@2plus4

See this odoyo, who is the joke on btw you and i? My friend quit clutching at straws and trying to save face, i ain't an i too know wannabe like you, i don't make the rule books which i read, its there for all, and it just shows i like tasking myself and like increasing my knowledge, hence the reason i started my first post on this thread by advising people to brush up their knowledge on the laws of the land otherwise they would start showing themselves up as an ignoramus like you and start asking kindergarten questions like you.

Kindly hop off my tip abeg and go find someone else to wan.k on.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by whatawhat: 9:03pm On Mar 08, 2010
l mean no disrespect, but some of you if you're nigerian who are complaining she is taking away jobs from british citizens
a lot of naijas come in with their mother, sister and they want to claim free housing-PLEASE LET ME ASK YOU A QUESTION-IS
BRITAIN YOUR COUNTRY-go and clear your own backyard first before you worry about someone else
nobody talked about donations or sympathy
lets see-the world would face a global depression
there may be no hope even in your western refuge countries, so show mercy to another humanbeing, believe me- good things
will fly right back to you
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by Rastamann: 9:25pm On Mar 08, 2010
Anyway, the European COURT PASSED a law 2 weeks ago after a Somalian and Portuguese mother whose husbands deserted them too, that anyone with a child or children in school has a right to benefits and council housing and public funds regardless of the fact that they are illegal or not, so this law thankfully covers her too.

Once such a won shows up, she will be deported. Anyway people should that there are no economy full of bed of roses, so they should stop rushing out to go and be illegal allien.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by proudly9ja(m): 10:02pm On Mar 08, 2010
@ayettymama,

I totally understand your grouse. I'm also pissed when Nigerians behave deceitfully, but then again, like I said, how do we know if her claims are wrong? If we all label her as deceitful and find out later she's telling the truth, what happens?
Believe me, I watch youtube and see 50 yr old Nigerians posing as 17yrs old and Nigerians doing all sorts trying to get into UK and Im pissed too but in this case, I won't base my judgements on what I THINK is the true story, no. Il base it on the facts that were presented in the post and based on that, I pity her situation. She was working before (apparently on false papers) so it isn't a case of she doesn't want to work.

Maybe you have more info than I do on this issue, if thats the case, then you can't blame me for being myopic. Il rather wait till July, let them grant her and lets see if she'l still want to live on benefits.

@Busy_body
I dey o, did you eventually take 'my route' or changed your mind? (hope u understand what you mean by my route) ,

As per this issue,
Well, I don't know much like I confessed earlier about all these stuff about illegal peeps and ways out or how to beat the system so Im not sure I can even make an intelligent suggestion on what she could do apart from sitting down and waiting for July.

Overall, I think eventually, it all turns back to the same thing we've been harping for decades. If our own country was well run, these kind of situations wouldn't even raise their ugly heads.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by justwise(m): 10:09pm On Mar 08, 2010
whatawhat:

l mean no disrespect, but some of you if you're nigerian who are complaining she is taking away jobs from british citizens
a lot of naijas come in with their mother, sister and they want to claim free housing-PLEASE LET ME ASK YOU A QUESTION-IS
BRITAIN YOUR COUNTRY-go and clear your own backyard first before you worry about someone else
nobody talked about donations or sympathy
lets see-the world would face a global depression
there may be no hope even in your western refuge countries, so show mercy to another humanbeing, believe me- good things
will fly right back to you
Here we go again, read pple's respons again b4 getting worked out, nobody cares if she get her lazy backside up and get a dam job, pple want her to work and look after her kids. There are alot of loopholes in her story, i don't believe a line of it.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by malvino: 10:45pm On Mar 08, 2010
Uk is not a bed of roses. its a place where hard knock life is 98% guaranteed for naija immigrants,except u go there to do ur masters,then, u may stand a chance.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by EloSela(f): 11:07pm On Mar 08, 2010
I don't see why this lady should be given special treatment. Should the British taxpayer fund every foreign lady that was abandoned by her husband? This lady claims that she is educated but if she really is she would have known that the visa they stamped on her passport was a visitor's one and not one for permanent stay. I don't believe that she was that silly to be working as she said she was and had not known that she was doing so illegally.

There are millions of British citizens and LEGAL immigrants currently looking for work in the UK so why should this lady jump the queue so to speak? And even if she was allowed to work would she be capable of getting a job that would earn enough to look after her and her four kids and her mother. And what about her mother, a lady who has probably spent most of her life in Nigeria and who has not paid any British taxes which fund the NHS. Why should she get free NHS treatment over another 75 year old Nigerian citizen who is legally in the UK and has worked all their life here and paid taxes?

As I said her story is sad but I don't see why I, a British tax payer should be paying for her to stay. She should present herself to immigration so she can be offered assistance back home. I can't see immigration allowing her to stay anyway as she is nothing more than an economic migrant and she is not fleeing persecution in Nigeria. Methinks she had better start making preparations for her departure.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by r231(m): 11:11pm On Mar 08, 2010
malvino:

Uk is not a bed of roses. its a place where hard knock life is 98% guaranteed for naija immigrants,except u go there to do your masters,then, u may stand a chance.

bull CRAP
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by ayettymama(f): 11:33pm On Mar 08, 2010
if she doesnt want to return this is a solution

let her go and het a cleaning job or work as a porter of a carer

using one of her friends papers

or work in finsbury park cash in hand

or cater for parties

she should at least get 150 a week for 20-60 hrs work

thats 600 a month

she can get a large room in south east for £80 a week, thats 320

the rest she can use to feed and cloth herselves and the kids

its not impossible- lazy arsed woman lookin for handouts i seriously cannot stand these people!
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by Redman44(m): 11:55pm On Mar 08, 2010
@Malvino

Tell that to the Marines sad sad sad

There are Nigerians in the UK who are successful and they're mostly running their own businesses after working for some years. Wake up from your deep sleep sad sad. In Britain, anything is possible if you've got the guts and winning mentality. I've heard of a Nigerian couple without papers who own 3 solid homes in Greater London. They are strictly into business and ship a lot of stuff to Nigeria to sell. They have good friends who helped them to secure documents they use to get things done. I was told they would soon be given their indefinite Stay for spending so many years in Britain. It all depends on the friends you have and contacts. As much as I don't support illegality, once you've made the mistake of being illegal, you can always find something to do and sort yourself out as time goes on. Cheers.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by ladej(m): 12:04am On Mar 09, 2010
Redman44:

@Malvino

Tell that to the Marines sad sad sad

There are Nigerians in the UK who are successful and they're mostly running their own businesses after working for some years. Wake up from your deep sleep sad sad. In Britain, anything is possible if you've got the guts and winning mentality. I've heard of a Nigerian couple without papers who own 3 solid homes in Greater London. They are strictly into business and ship a lot of stuff to Nigeria to sell. They have good friends who helped them to secure documents they use to get things done. I was told they would soon be given their indefinite Stay for spending so many years in Britain. It all depends on the friends you have and contacts. As much as I don't support illegality, once you've made the mistake of being illegal, you can always find something to do and sort yourself out as time goes on. Cheers.
true say. after 14 years with documentary evidence as an illegal u become eligible for permanent residency
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by jcross19: 12:36am On Mar 09, 2010
some people here that have being denied visa more than `10 times will surely discourage some not to travel , so leave a failure let him or her blap any how.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by kawkab: 5:17am On Mar 09, 2010
I agree with Redman 44
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by EzeUche(m): 6:41am On Mar 09, 2010
Well my family is living well in the United States. cool

Nothing but doctors, pharmacist, engineers and lawyers.
Re: Poverty_in Britain! Nigerian_single_mother_of_4 by vanitty: 7:44am On Mar 09, 2010
Wasn' aware that NHS was a third world organisation that can't afford to take cater for both a 75 year old lady and Ade + kids undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Picture of Broad Street - Lagos (1951) / Plane Touches Down At Akwa Ibom For 1st Time! (video) / Share Your Experience: The Longest Journey You've Ever Made.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.