Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? (47016 Views)

Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? / Can I Postpone My Tithe Till Next Payment? / "I Just Increased My Tithe To 30 Percent, Satan Go And Die" - Apostle Suleman. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 11:12am On Oct 08, 2017
Chommieblaq:

You just brought out yourself Sir
19-21 talks about clean and uncleanliness
22-29 talks about tithe
"Tithes
22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name,d so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always. [b]24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink,h or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice.i 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.
28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithesl of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotmentn or inheritanceo of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat
and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may blessr you in all the work of your hands."[/b]

There you have it.
The highlighted says it all case closed.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by victorazyvictor(m): 11:13am On Oct 08, 2017
erico2k2:

We talking tithing, give a verse that support waht you just said.!
And check my rsponse to 4 of your questions

Do you know that for this guy to pay his tithe to the wrong places will demand him x2 of the tithe? ask ur pastor or
Change your preacher.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by tickertop(m): 11:13am On Oct 08, 2017
You are giving your tithe to God. Which God ? Is your pastor God? Some Pple will rather let their neighbour go hungry or wear torn clothes. They prefer paying the tithe to church

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by PatriotTemidayo: 11:14am On Oct 08, 2017
Reference:

Tithes are mandatory. Offerings are not. Because church services are mandatory while other activities are not. Churches donot ask for offerings to run services or propagate the gospel. If you walk up to a church every Sunday and expect to see its doors open and donot tithe, then what do you call yourself. Can you drive your car without petrol.
See how convenient it is for you to dodge the point.
My question is simple, "WHAT DO YOUR CHURCH OR PASTOR DO WITH OFFERINGS AND OTHER COLLECTION?".

Do they throw the offering into the dust bin, if not, can't that also propagate the gospel......

And i see ignorance in your quest to prove that tithe is mandatory, I am Christian like you but I know that Jesus never forced any to pay tithe. As a matter of fact, he doesn't ask for offering self.
When Judas wanted to create a purse to keep money, can you remember what Jesus told him? If you do, am sure you can tell that is the reason Pastor want to kill themselves preaching about tithe and offering too violently.

Go back to the bible, deut., Leviticus and even the Malachi that gullible followers have been brainwashed with and read it deeply to understand for whom and what tithe is meant for.
Tithe doesn't determine heaven, Infact, it doesn't determine whether you're blessed or not, if you don't observe other rules, tithe is a waste.

Suffice to say that Malachi says ".......so there may be food in my house", how does that sound like powering the gospel........

Ignorant rant!
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 11:14am On Oct 08, 2017
victorazyvictor:

Do you know that for this guy to pay his tithe to the wrong places will demand him x2 of the tithe? ask ur pastor or
Change your preacher.
24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink,h or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice.i 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.
28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithesl of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotmentn or inheritanceo of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 11:16am On Oct 08, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Make I forward my PayPal or skye bank details?
U don start baba grin grin grin grin grin
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by miketayo(m): 11:17am On Oct 08, 2017
Reference:

Yes you are wrong. The scriptures explicitly says that you should bring your tithes, "into God's storehouse so that there may be food there". In the old testament (pre-church era) Abraham offered a tithe to ''God's messenger...God's servant".

So one of few things: Tithes are given to specific people for specific reasons. That is why they have a value attached to them and are mandatory. God uses it for 'food in his house'.... to keep His house running.

Thus I cannot see how giving it to a beggar does that except you are specifically instructed by the Spirit of God and is most unlikely because the Spirit and the Word are one.

Are you a Jew or a Christian?

2 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Lexusgs430: 11:17am On Oct 08, 2017
erico2k2:

U don start baba grin grin grin grin grin

I can only ask nah......
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by johnson232: 11:18am On Oct 08, 2017
bedspread:
YOU TITHE IS NOT TO YOUR PASTOR... I drop my Tithe either in the basket for it or I pay to the Church Account....
My brother where is it stated in the bible that God even needs our tithes to propagate his word?

This is why we are so backward in africa today, we are too lazy to read & carry out research. We just rely on what we hear from our pastors. There was a reason christians where required to storeup foods in the old testament & NOT MONEY. There was money then already, but food was stored up so it could be used to feed the levites & poor visitors & it was more of an optional thing. But because of our greed, we changed it from food to money & made it mandatory. Instead of our pastors to encourage members to store up the house of God with food which will be use to feed the poor, they have stylishly changed it to money. Try to read your bible...

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by victorazyvictor(m): 11:19am On Oct 08, 2017
erico2k2:

24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink,h or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice.i 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.
28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithesl of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotmentn or inheritanceo of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your

hehehehehehe continue naw.
you just cut a place in Bible and paste here.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Reference(m): 11:19am On Oct 08, 2017
Darvel:

so there may be food.. not dere may be private jets... ur church members Hunger dey catch dem... Oga..

Food, bread, etc.... are used interchangeably in scriptures under one umbrella that is provisions or substance. Today the common denominator is money. You can replace the word 'food' for money. Does everyone who goes to church seek for rice and beans or does every beggar on the street need milk and sugar or is it turkey and sardine that will spread the gospel...

The common denominator here is substance, money. It answers most of the questions above. It will feed, clothe, secure, heal, house and pay for tickets, books, airtime, etc. Your fixation with private jets shows where your heart is, certainly not on God. Because if you do you will be more concerned about obedience.

If your loved one was ill will you look at what the doctor wears, rides or flies. Isn't your priority what he can do and what the outcome will be. Remember Christianity is a Faith and God will not force you to do anything. That is why those on both sides of the argument - the false tither and tithe thief appear to be getting away with it. Remain focused on obedience.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Chujor1634(m): 11:19am On Oct 08, 2017
Your tithe is mearnt for tithing....

U can give to a begger but not your tithe...

You are wrong...

Please house I need help,
My mail was hacked 4 months ago..
Now my Facebook account has just been hacked.
Tried retrieving it, of course they will have to send a code to my mail. And at the moment I can't access the mail...
Please I need help, my fb account is 7years old..U can imagine the level of things I can't afford to loose..
Please hlp...
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by olumig(m): 11:21am On Oct 08, 2017
bedspread:

It's Wonderful to give to the poor... INFACT the Bible specifically talks about dt.

But Your Tithe is not a gift. Neither is it your money. Your Tithe is GOD's SHARE of your Money. And He Directs where it should be taken to. See Malachi 3:10
Read the whole chapter, not just the verse.

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by omoiyalayi(m): 11:21am On Oct 08, 2017
mdokaba1:
It was a very stressful week for me as it involved lots of travels and all. So its a Saturday and I was paid for a project I did for the month past.

Going by my tired nature, I knew deep down me that there was no way I could have made it to church the next day and I was hell bent on paying my tithe because of the inherent blessings therein and the last thing on my mind would be to give it to my nebor to pay it for me. (The guy broke and besides I didn't want him to start calculating my take-home (Na sharp man). And I knew deep down that if I keep the money till the next time I would be in church, I was sure I would spend it. (God have mercy on me sha)

So I decided even before getting home to package my tithe and while in the market on a shopping spree I package my tithe and dropped it in the plate of an old beggar. (A mulsim beggar precisely)

Instantly, I saw 50 shades of shocks on her face as she looked at me for a few seconds and I could read her facials more like "For this Buharia?" Lols. And before I disappeared into the crowd, I could see/read her lips mutter prayers pointing towards me. And deep down, I felt blessed and fulfilled.

But was I wrong to have given my 10percent to a beggar instead of to the alter?

Opinions please.

You are one of the people keeping beggars especially Muslim beggars on our street thinking free money will always come even when they have garnered enough money to start up a business

Nothing is wrong with giving your tithe to a beggar though, but I prefer motherless home or anywhere you are sure the money will be well utilize and the glory will be giving to God eventually.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by KardinalZik(m): 11:22am On Oct 08, 2017
Malachi 3:10 talks about God's STOREHOUSE. It never talked about Temples, Synagogues, Churches, pastors, Bishops, Prophets et cetera.
The bible states clearly that "Whoso is kind to the poor LEND unto the LORD...(Proverbs 19:17a)". Methinks there's a correlation between lending and storing, because in each case, there's an EXPECTED RETURN.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 11:22am On Oct 08, 2017
victorazyvictor:

hehehehehehe continue naw.
you just cut a place in Bible and paste here.
actually copied from the Bible, I dont post my own thought, what have you to say to that page? or did I manufacture it , you can see Money and produced used in one page so that eliminates the issue of *if there was money in them days!

2 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by HeyCorleone(m): 11:22am On Oct 08, 2017
victorazyvictor:

There is something you failed to understand. Tithing is different from giving to the poor.

Tithe is a very strict stuff people don't know, is a command.

Giving to the poor is just showing kindness to fellow human and God because he said love one another. Give to the poor you've lend Him.

When you pay Tithe, window of heaven will be opened to you AND when you give to the poor, you will receive from God. both of them are similar but different, they are like twins but different.

When the window of God haven't opened (Tithe) your giving to the poor will yield no fruit AND when the window is open and God didn't poor out (giving) you will get nothing.

plz understand or ask your pastor if your a christian

Rubbish. So if someone doesn't tithe, God doesn't open the "windows"?! Why do y'all paint God black?

3 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by agarawu23(m): 11:23am On Oct 08, 2017
I give to ppl in need most and do little things I can in any mosque close to me.

Its not a must u take your tithe to church or mosque.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Chommieblaq(f): 11:23am On Oct 08, 2017
erico2k2:

The highlighted says it all case closed.

I believe the sole purpose of tithing is to provide for others who don't have, to share in love.

Each mallam to him own kettle.

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by ImaIma1(f): 11:23am On Oct 08, 2017
Giving to the poor and giving tithes are two separate things. One act cannot replace the other. As a Christian that studies the word you should know that.

Besides, beggars are not necessarily the poor that we should give to. Most beggars have begging as their profession...as their means of livelihood. There are people that genuinely poor and need the money but are not on the road begging.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 11:23am On Oct 08, 2017
omoiyalayi:

You are one of the people keeping beggars especially Muslim beggars on our street thinking free money will always come even when they have garnered enough money to start up a business

Nothing is wrong with giving your tithe to a beggar though, but I prefer motherless home or anywhere you are sure the money will be well utilize and the glory will be giving to God eventually.
There have been beggars on the streets B4 Jesus was Born
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by slowice(m): 11:24am On Oct 08, 2017
Dude you gave arms to the beggar and that's fine, the Bible says when you give to this ones you ve given to the lord... But don't mix it up tithing is on a different level, "that their may be meat in my house" and attracts a different kind of blessings from the Lord... So after playing half smart, when you are ready to give your tithe, dip hands into whatever that's left of your pay and do the needful if you are still interested in getting the blessings of tithing.

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 11:26am On Oct 08, 2017
Chommieblaq:

I believe the sole purpose of tithing is to provide for others who don't have, to share in love.

Each mallam to him own kettle.
Exactly, thats the Gospel truth,Christians can never get the explanation of tithing right simply cos its of the Jews,Tithing was meant for the livites,who are they(Livites) people who have no land no allotments to farm to earn anything back in them days they where the least of the society,

3 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Razakipaye: 11:26am On Oct 08, 2017
bedspread:
GOOD FOR U.... but if am to tell u wat I know about Tithe, I'll say u paid ur Tithe in the wrong way.
worst comment.

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by bamasite(m): 11:27am On Oct 08, 2017
YOU ARE SO SO RIGHT AND BLESSED BEYOND MEASURE

Giving to those in genuine need is the noble thing to do. That is true humanity and not religion.

My problem, however, is giving to those beggars with complete hands and legs who have made begging their full-time occupation, yet have ten kids.

I mean, we can all have sex and produce kids or can't we?
When you decide to make kids for the purpose of increasing the number of beggars who harass people on the road in the name of begging for alms, sorry you cant be in my budget!
mdokaba1:
It was a very stressful week for me as it involved lots of travels and all. So its a Saturday and I was paid for a project I did for the month past.

Going by my tired nature, I knew deep down me that there was no way I could have made it to church the next day and I was hell bent on paying my tithe because of the inherent blessings therein and the last thing on my mind would be to give it to my nebor to pay it for me. (The guy broke and besides I didn't want him to start calculating my take-home (Na sharp man). And I knew deep down that if I keep the money till the next time I would be in church, I was sure I would spend it. (God have mercy on me sha)

So I decided even before getting home to package my tithe and while in the market on a shopping spree I package my tithe and dropped it in the plate of an old beggar. (A mulsim beggar precisely)

Instantly, I saw 50 shades of shocks on her face as she looked at me for a few seconds and I could read her facials more like "For this Buharia?" Lols. And before I disappeared into the crowd, I could see/read her lips mutter prayers pointing towards me. And deep down, I felt blessed and fulfilled.

Opinions please.

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by vikstandon(m): 11:27am On Oct 08, 2017
My brother I dear not judge u on this... But would like to point ur attention to this...
Malachi 3:10b says 'Bring your full tithe to the Temple treasury so there will be ample provisions in my Temple'.

Because we tend to judge the Ministers of God and their life of affluence we also take part in their sins by taking what is not ours out of where it rightly belongs...Two wrongs don't make the right!

I will still want to say this...'They that are led by the Spirit are Children of God'.
If what you did was by prompting of the Spirit...I stand not to condemn you!
But from all I read from u...you did that because you were planning to boycott Sunday service.

As for putting a smile on the beggar...God's blessings won't elude you, and just as she did pray for you. Treasures are been unleased and unearthed for u. But you do need to put yourself aright.

Give to Caesar what is due to Caesar and forget not to give to God what is truly HIS.

SHALOM!

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by danyaril2yahoo: 11:28am On Oct 08, 2017
If you're a christian,what you gave was a gift to a begger,not a tithe.read the account of Abraham & melchisedec in Heb 7:1-11
mdokaba1:

Opinions please.

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by HeyCorleone(m): 11:28am On Oct 08, 2017
Reference:

Food, bread, etc.... are used interchangeably in scriptures under one umbrella that is provisions or substance. Today the common denominator is money. You can replace the word 'food' for money. Does everyone who goes to church seek for rice and beans or does every beggar on the street need milk and sugar or is it turkey and sardine that will spread the gospel...

The common denominator here is substance, money. It answers most of the questions above. It will feed, clothe, secure, heal, house and pay for tickets, books, airtime, etc. Your fixation with private jets shows where your heart is, certainly not on God. Because if you do you will be more concerned about obedience.

If your loved one was ill will you look at what the doctor wears, rides or flies. Isn't your priority what he can do and what the outcome will be. Remember Christianity is a Faith and God will not force you to do anything. That is why those on both sides of the argument - the false tither and tithe thief appear to be getting away with it. Remain focused on obedience.

It's people like you that are perfect Christian sheep. The Bible tells us to be aware. If the tithe is strictly used to maintain the extravagant lifestyle of the pastor, then it'd be pure insanity to keep on giving, because there are people who really need such money. I don't see how Private Jets, exotic cars, and designer wears are used to propagate the Gospel. Even the Greatest preacher ever operated without tithes and offerings.

Let's be wise please.

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Razakipaye: 11:28am On Oct 08, 2017
bedspread:

It's Wonderful to give to the poor... INFACT the Bible specifically talks about dt.

But Your Tithe is not a gift. Neither is it your money. Your Tithe is GOD's SHARE of your Money. And He Directs where it should be taken to. See Malachi 3:10
stop misleading people.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 08, 2017
Pesuzok:

But do you agree that you are to eat your tithe in the house of God. I just read the verse you quoted

Yes

Beef, beer and in the presence you and your family shall enjoy together
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by andreawills96(f): 11:29am On Oct 08, 2017
bedspread:
"bring ur all the tithes into my house" Malachi 3:10. Your church today is GOD's House
. that same bible says we are living temple.

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 11:30am On Oct 08, 2017
Nothing wrong with this sir. It doesn't have to be your pastor. I give my tithe to my parents some times.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (27) (Reply)

Pastor Jonathan David: 'Buhari Will Win Nigeria’s Presidential Election / ⚫⚫⚫⚫ Just Like God, Satan Also Has His Own Trinity Of Evil / Why Dunamis Church Constructed Dual Carriageway In Mararaba – Dr. Paul Enenche

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.