Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,735 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

Rent Issue/ Need Your Opinion Pls - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Rent Issue/ Need Your Opinion Pls (588 Views)

What Did I Do Wrong Should I Continue Calling Her To Apologise? Your Opinion Pls / Your Opinion About This Father And Her Daughter In The Bathroom (pic) / What's Your Opinion About Taking Showers With Your BF/GF? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rent Issue/ Need Your Opinion Pls by Legit9301: 8:53pm On Oct 09, 2017
I'm sorry this isn't the right room to post this, but need your opinion.

This happened few weeks back and have been looking for how to deal with it.

I rented an apartment, though everything happened within just 20 minutes in the night, so I couldn't inspect well since the agent and friend I came with certified it as okay.

Because i needed to checkout from where I was squatting, I hurriedly paid for the apartment without any routine check of the building just to discover I was blindfolded by my friend and agent's opinion .
I came to see how the building was really like the third day after the payment, but discovered the building was below fair standard, I was like let me just stay for a year then look for a better apartment, so I packed in the following week.

It rained heavily the day I packed in and my belongings were all flooded. At first, I thought it was as a result of wind that made rain splashed in, so I tried fixing the louvers that weren't complete; but all to no avail.

I was on my bed the fifth day at night and I became wet and soaked with water. I took my bed, carpet and rug and discovered I was inside a pool of water: I sat from 2:am till day break, I met with the landlord and he went to the back to fall some plantain plantation and did some control; but this couldn't stop it as I came the following day to see everywhere flooded again.

I told him I wasn't interested any longer even before he started control to stop the water from entering my room, but he's reluctant and the agent has sworn with thunder not to step into my landlords' house because he refused giving him his entitled commission even after I've paid him his agency fee.

My question is, how can I handle this to get my money back ?

please, I really need your candid opinion so as to get back my money.
Re: Rent Issue/ Need Your Opinion Pls by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 09, 2017
You made a mistake by renting a house you've not inspected at night. That friend that sold the idea to you may have commission after you've made payment 'cause it seems he was aware of the condition of the place.

There isn't much you could do other than to mount more pressure on the landlord. Rents aren't nonrefundable fees so you should be more diplomatic in approach and patient too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rent Issue/ Need Your Opinion Pls by Legit9301: 9:09pm On Oct 09, 2017
kimbraa:
You made a mistake by renting a house you've not inspected at night. That friend that sold the idea to you may have commission after you've made payment 'cause it seems he was aware of the condition of the place.

There isn't much you could do other than to mount more pressure on the landlord. Rents aren't nonrefundable fees so you should be more diplomatic in approach and patient too.
Thanks so much, but what's your take on the agent that has sworn with thunder not to step into the man's compound nor have any dealings/transactions again even after he had collected his agency fee from me?
Re: Rent Issue/ Need Your Opinion Pls by shortgun(m): 9:09pm On Oct 09, 2017
I think u should look for a way to assist ur landlord to fix the issue. try to appreciate the little he has done. Stop threatening him cos it will be almost impossible for u to get a refund.
Re: Rent Issue/ Need Your Opinion Pls by Legit9301: 9:19pm On Oct 09, 2017
shortgun:
I think u should look for a way to assist ur landlord to fix the issue. try to appreciate the little he has done. Stop threatening him cos it will be almost impossible for u to get a refund.
Thanks,but haven't resorted to threatening him. Have gotten anoher place already since I felt the problem was beyond just physical control, but need opinion on how to get my money back.
Re: Rent Issue/ Need Your Opinion Pls by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 09, 2017
Legit9301:
Thanks so much, but what's your take on the agent that has sworn with thunder not to step into the man's compound nor have any dealings/transactions again even after he had collected his agency fee from me?
That's between him and the man. But just so you know, you don't have to stay in anyone's house if you don't want to. And by law, if your rent hasn't elapsed then a certain amount is refundable.
Re: Rent Issue/ Need Your Opinion Pls by shortgun(m): 9:27pm On Oct 09, 2017
Legit9301:
Thanks,but haven't resorted to threatening him. Have gotten anoher place already since I felt the problem was beyond just physical control, but need opinion on how to get my money back.
getting ur money back will not easy...if you've gotten another place and paid, I think u should just move to the new place and give the landlord time to refund you.
Re: Rent Issue/ Need Your Opinion Pls by Legit9301: 9:33pm On Oct 09, 2017
shortgun:

getting ur money back will not easy...if you've gotten another place and paid, I think u should just move to the new place and give the landlord time to refund you.
Okay thanks, but the last time I called him concerning the refund issue, he told me he never chased me out of my apartment and that I should come stay in my apartment even after I told him I wouldn't stay any longer prior to the repair which he did accepted then.
Re: Rent Issue/ Need Your Opinion Pls by femcentz: 9:48pm On Oct 09, 2017
i think the best way is for the lessor to carryout renovation and on the commencement of the lease if both parties to the contract agree to carry renovation that means you will carry out repair, tell d lessor how much it cost base on ur agreement u might use it for anoda lease upon the expiration of the existing lease. nd if the lessor refuses nd he is aware of the condition of the building u can charge him or her for damages cost to ur belonging....
Re: Rent Issue/ Need Your Opinion Pls by shortgun(m): 10:14pm On Oct 09, 2017
Legit9301:

Okay thanks, but the last time I called him concerning the refund issue, he told me he never chased me out of my apartment and that I should come stay in my apartment even after I told him I wouldn't stay any longer prior to the repair which he did accepted then.
that's why I said getting a refund will be difficult, you shouldn't have been in a hurry to get a new place. From d look of things it's as if u can afford to forget d rent money.
Re: Rent Issue/ Need Your Opinion Pls by Legit9301: 10:27pm On Oct 09, 2017
shortgun:

that's why I said getting a refund will be difficult, you shouldn't have been in a hurry to get a new place. From d look of things it's as if u can afford to forget d rent money.
Thanks, but would try my best to get my money back

(1) (Reply)

Girl Aged 15 Who Poisoned Herself After Breakup With BF Buried (photos) / Ladies These Are 10 Types Of Men You Should Never Marry. / Nigerian Man On Facebook Accuses Friend Of Using His Mother For Money Ritual

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.