Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,989 members, 7,821,444 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

Why Do Anglicans Still Say "I Believe In The Catholic Church" in Their Creed? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Anglicans Still Say "I Believe In The Catholic Church" in Their Creed? (1113 Views)

Archbishop Of Canterbury urges Anglicans In Uganda to resist anti-gay Law / Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It / What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Anglicans Still Say "I Believe In The Catholic Church" in Their Creed? by Tonnierichy(m): 11:31am On Oct 15, 2017
Being a Catholic, I attended an Anglican church couple of weeks ago and when it was time to recite the Apostles Creed, I surprisingly saw "I believe in the Holy Spirit, the "Holy Catholic Church" on their projector. And they all said it like that. So it got me wondering if they feel they are still under the Catholic Church.

I need clarification please.....
Re: Why Do Anglicans Still Say "I Believe In The Catholic Church" in Their Creed? by An2elect2(f): 11:36am On Oct 15, 2017
Cos they are as confused as the papacy
Re: Why Do Anglicans Still Say "I Believe In The Catholic Church" in Their Creed? by Spylord48: 11:41am On Oct 15, 2017
The Apostles' Creed is a statement of belief from the early church (probably from the first few centuries after Jesus' death and resurrection). When the creed states, "I believe in the holy catholic church," it refers to the universal church rather than a specific branch of Christianity. The word catholic comes from the Greek word
katholikos which means "universal" or "general."
Is not only Anglican that recite it too. Some Presbyterians,Calvinist and most churches that came out during the Lutheran reformation era also recite it too even some Methodists.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Anglicans Still Say "I Believe In The Catholic Church" in Their Creed? by Tonnierichy(m): 11:56am On Oct 15, 2017
Spylord48:
The Apostles' Creed is a statement of belief from the early church (probably from the first few centuries after Jesus' death and resurrection). When the creed states, "I believe in the holy catholic church," it refers to the universal church rather than a specific branch of Christianity. The word catholic comes from the Greek word
Is not only Anglican that recite it too. Some Presbyterians,Calvinist and most churches that came out during the Lutheran reformation era also recite it too even some Methodists.
Chai! Did you study Theology?
Re: Why Do Anglicans Still Say "I Believe In The Catholic Church" in Their Creed? by Tonnierichy(m): 11:56am On Oct 15, 2017
An2elect2:
Lol
Re: Why Do Anglicans Still Say "I Believe In The Catholic Church" in Their Creed? by Spylord48: 11:57am On Oct 15, 2017
Tonnierichy:

Chai! Did you study Theology?
Noooooo..
Mods move to front page please. This is really an interesting topic. let get other people's view on it.
Re: Why Do Anglicans Still Say "I Believe In The Catholic Church" in Their Creed? by Spylord48: 12:02pm On Oct 15, 2017
An2elect2:

An institution that has lasted thousands of years is confused?
Try not to be a judge. Attend your own church and leave judgement for God.He is the only one that knows the church that is real or fake.

Re: Why Do Anglicans Still Say "I Believe In The Catholic Church" in Their Creed? by Tonnierichy(m): 12:35pm On Oct 15, 2017
Spylord48:

Noooooo..
Mods move to front page please. This is really an interesting topic. let get other people's view on it.
Don't mind them.
Re: Why Do Anglicans Still Say "I Believe In The Catholic Church" in Their Creed? by Tonnierichy(m): 12:36pm On Oct 15, 2017
Spylord48:

Try not to be a judge. Attend your own church and leave judgement for God.He is the only one that knows the church that is real or fake.
You are on point jare.
Nobody can say for sure what God thinks.
Re: Why Do Anglicans Still Say "I Believe In The Catholic Church" in Their Creed? by dhardline(m): 12:46pm On Oct 15, 2017
Yes they do but it's totally different from the 'Roman Catholic' church .As someone has rightly told you the meaning of Catholic.
Re: Why Do Anglicans Still Say "I Believe In The Catholic Church" in Their Creed? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Oct 15, 2017
Tonnierichy:
Being a Catholic, I attended an Anglican church couple of weeks ago and when it was time to recite the Apostles Creed, I surprisingly saw "I believe in the Holy Spirit, the "Holy Catholic Church" on their projector. And they all said it like that. So it got me wondering if they feel they are still under the Catholic Church.

I need clarification please.....
They share similar doctrine don't forget the church of England (Anglican) broke from the Catholic church

1 Like

Re: Why Do Anglicans Still Say "I Believe In The Catholic Church" in Their Creed? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Oct 15, 2017
Spylord48:
You're absolutely correct about the universal church.
Re: Why Do Anglicans Still Say "I Believe In The Catholic Church" in Their Creed? by An2elect2(f): 1:04pm On Oct 15, 2017
Spylord48:

Heresy has lasted much more than that. Gone were times when errors were held by a few ungodly misfits. At the time when your church kick started the devil had perfected the act of mass deception. People would accept a lie as truth if it's institutionalized. Your first fathers in your Catholic faith were ready tools for this plan.

Too late. I am already a judge. All Christians are.

Nope, even Christians can discern an apostate church through proper Bible study. The Catholic Church is an apostate system there is no going round about this. If the saints would judge angels we have not seen with our eyes how much more the demonic convents before us
Re: Why Do Anglicans Still Say "I Believe In The Catholic Church" in Their Creed? by Tonnierichy(m): 2:18pm On Oct 15, 2017
asuustrike2009:

They share similar doctrine don't forget the church of England (Anglican) broke from the Catholic church
Yea I know. But their priests get married

(1) (Reply)

Africa Richest Man Dangote Have 1 Private Jet, Pastor Oyedepo Has 4: Daddy Freez / Benny Hinn Takes Swipe At Nigerian Prosperity Preachers Describes Act As A Trick / Who Says God Didn't Reveal Coronal Virus Ahead Of Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.