Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,398 members, 7,822,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Auto Guru, Please Help. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Auto Guru, Please Help. (8177 Views)

Expert Advice Urgently Needed From The Auto Guru!!! / Guys My Vehicle Was Saved From An Incompetent Nairaland Auto Guru Mayor2013 / Guru's Please Help Me Read My Cars Mpg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by honmusa(m): 4:35am On Oct 20, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

the point of controversy is the idea if vacuum and air intake. map measures vacuum inside intake manifold (after tps) and maf measures air Intake ( before tps).
note tps major role is opening sucking or allowing air inside intake manifold and closing.

now this setup doesn't have a maf just map that measures the pressure inside intake manifold with precision. maf would meter and measure the air being sucked in.

now with this ops issue of a broken or leaking AIR intake body I don't really see a lean code being thrown. all things being equal, tps et all. car would suck in the desired air and maintain absolute pressure in manifold and run normal albeit a little portion of the air being sucked in will be unfiltered (ops case as case study) pcv will be affected on the long run.

my two cents
grin Lol .Have u scan the op car to make such conclusion that there is no lean code and even if there is no lean code DTC ,you will see lean staring at you on the live data .So the main lesson of the video is Camry 5S is not using only map for fuel injection decision ,it takes decision from other input sensors cos normally how will it detect a vacuum leak even without a oxygen sensor even with well known fact that map only measure absolute pressure?
Seems i will need to invite the ops for free repair to drive home my points cool
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by Deprofessional(m): 4:50am On Oct 20, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

not correct.

This is a 1998-2001 toyota camry with a 4cylinder 5s-fe engine

It employs the use of a manifold absolute pressure system for its primary regulation of air fuel ratio.

There is no Mass airflow meter in the design.

engine will suck up air that is not filtered.

The harmonics wil sound a little different.

The positive crank ventilation unit will loose a little efficiency.

Summary get a replacement.

You are right. its a 2001 Camry, i4 configuration
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by nams77: 5:51am On Oct 20, 2017
Op are you still there? With all this inter- ballistic missiles flying around here hope eye no dey turn you? grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by mayor2013: 6:14am On Oct 20, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

the point of controversy is the idea if vacuum and air intake. map measures vacuum inside intake manifold (after tps) and maf measures air Intake ( before tps).
note tps major role is opening sucking or allowing air inside intake manifold and closing.

now this setup doesn't have a maf just map that measures the pressure inside intake manifold with precision. maf would meter and measure the air being sucked in.

now with this ops issue of a broken or leaking AIR intake body I don't really see a lean code being thrown. all things being equal, tps et all. car would suck in the desired air and maintain absolute pressure in manifold and run normal albeit a little portion of the air being sucked in will be unfiltered (ops case as case study) pcv will be affected on the long run.

my two cents

How would the abosulte pressure be retained when there is already a leak?
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:44am On Oct 20, 2017
mayor2013:

Fuel consumption would be high. Still had a case at work this week. Torned intake air hose and had been patched previously customer came back after tuning up his engine. Found out the leak from the previous patched area by another engineer Prior to coming. When car is started in the morning it goes into limp home mode. Car came in back scanned ride and got a throttle actuator fault code. Said ride is a Honda Accord 2006

MAF
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:48am On Oct 20, 2017
mayor2013:

How would the abosulte pressure be retained when there is already a leak?

system is aspirated naturally. MAP monitors vacuum presure inside intake. There are NO sensors to measure Air volume into throttle body. There is NO intake leak cause by broken pipe.
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by mayor2013: 7:12am On Oct 20, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

MAF

?
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:14am On Oct 20, 2017
mayor2013:

?

not same design. It monitors air volume.
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by diportivo: 7:25am On Oct 20, 2017
una just dey disturb the whole area since yesterday angry

Errmmm,op

all av agreed on u changing it so just go ahead and find it

contact me if u need help sourcing it

as for all these petrol heads arguing upandan,there's a landrover freelancer issue that I will post soon

una go argue tire grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:27am On Oct 20, 2017
diportivo:
una just dey disturb the whole area since yesterday angry

Errmmm,op

all av agreed on u changing it so just go ahead and find it

contact me if u need help sourcing it

as for all these petrol heads arguing upandan,there's a landrover freelancer issue that I will post soon

una go argue tire grin grin

check my signature. 3 brands.....
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by diportivo: 7:36am On Oct 20, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

check my signature. 3 brands.....

even better

the engine of the freelander has been changed to 5s-fe

grin

4 Likes

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:41am On Oct 20, 2017
diportivo:

even better

the engine of the freelander has been changed to 5s-fe

grin

take

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5498553_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

1 Like

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by mayor2013: 7:43am On Oct 20, 2017

1 Like

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by Deprofessional(m): 8:14am On Oct 20, 2017
nams77:
Op are you still there? With all this inter- ballistic missiles flying around here hope eye no dey turn you? grin

Honestly, the only thing i understood is to change the hose. Every other thing is way too much for me.

Please who will sell the hose to me?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by Inception(m): 8:17am On Oct 20, 2017
honmusa:

No sir I disagree ,you can get a lean code .
watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ino4x5QvKnQ

From the video u can see an evidence of vacuum leak and the engine managment system is still able to detect lean condition even wen the AFS is not even working.
So how come ?
The speed density fuel management system of a Camry 5s doest not only rely on only the map sensor data to supply the stoic equivalent amount of fuel injection for each amount of air ,It also takes data from TPS and other sensor.There is actually a preprogrammed algorithms inside the ecu that checks for all the sensors data to make a self diagnosis decision not based only the map sensor
And how vacuum leak can cause engine performance issue is that is air leak will introduce more air into the intake system which will not be compensated by the fuel injection needed to balance the tps angle opening causing less fuel and more air (lean )
Vacuum leak in camry 5s engine will cause poor performance issue ,high rpm at idle and high fuel consumption .
Practically,i have gotten many cases of camry 5S customer complaining of poor performance and high fuel consumption and the sole reason is cause of leaking air duct.
Although Maf will be more affected than speed density but that it will not be affected at all is a capital No
Finally ,the primary reason for map is not for fuel injection decision making only ,it also perform egr sensing
GAZZUZZ:

1 down 1 to go. wink

One down.... one to go (you know yasef grin)
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by Inception(m): 8:18am On Oct 20, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

RR uses MAP and MAF at same time wink
same with 2003-05 Honda accord (I4) cheesy
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by Inception(m): 8:24am On Oct 20, 2017
nams77:

grin

1 Like

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by LeJeun3: 8:46am On Oct 20, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

oya answer

Engine that can be used as generator.....

Any air is fresh air.....

1 Like

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:02am On Oct 20, 2017
LeJeun3:

Engine that can be used as generator.....

Any air is fresh air.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:03am On Oct 20, 2017
Inception:

same with 2003-05 Honda accord (I4) cheesy

Pics or........ undecided
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by Inception(m): 9:43am On Oct 20, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Pics or........ undecided

Abeg no vex give me small origin make my eye clear grin grin

MAF sensor is on 2006- up Honda accord 4 cylinder engine (K24A8)

2003 to 2005 uses MAP + IAT ( Intake air temperature) sensor (K24A4)
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:03am On Oct 20, 2017
Inception:

Abeg no vex give me small origin make my eye clear grin grin

MAF sensor is on 2006- up Honda accord 4 cylinder engine (K24A8)

2003 to 2005 uses MAP + IAT ( Intake air temperature) sensor (K24A4)

tongue
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by chukel(m): 1:23pm On Oct 20, 2017
Mayor2013 and honmusa,u need to understand the concept of map and maF, what they measure and where they measure. Kudos to gazzuzz and obekediamondfuto
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by Inception(m): 3:00pm On Oct 20, 2017
chukel:
Mayor2013 and honmusa,u need to understand the concept of map and maF, what they measure and where they measure. Kudos to gazzuzz and obekediamondfuto

I Think they do.
the issue is the situation where either sensor performs below threshold.

MAP sensors due to its design purpose is usually located where the best amount of vacuum can be measured. this is why it is located very close to the intake manifold (in most cases, the throttle body). Like i said earlier, any leak before this point should not give problems. But leaks after this point will definitely cause engine performance issues. Therefore only leaks around the manifold gasket, throttle body gasket or the manifold itself (cracked manifold) should be suspected when such issues arise, not leaking hoses.

the MAF on the other hand measures volume of air, which is then stoicometrically compensated for via the required pulse with of the injectors, depending on the driving conditions. For it to be most effective, it is always located immediately after the Air filter box. This means that any air that goes into the engine after this point will be unaccounted for, giving rise to lean codes and whatnot.

Some cars use both systems e.g 2008 Honda accord 4 cylinder( Gazzuzz check your engine bay, i might be wrong).

In the OP's case, what he should be worried about is the quality of air going into the combustion chamber. It would definitely affect the MAP sensor, which will end up becoming dirty and may start giving false readings to the ECU. , causing engine performance problems...
This is aside the long term damage it might cause the engine.
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by erico2k2(m): 4:31pm On Oct 20, 2017
Deprofessional:
Does this broken hose have any negative effect on the engine?
One word,Vacuum LEAK, change pipe.
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by erico2k2(m): 4:35pm On Oct 20, 2017
Inception:

I Think they do.
the issue is the situation where either sensor performs below threshold.

MAP sensors due to its design purpose is usually located where the best amount of vacuum can be measured. this is why it is located very close to the intake manifold (in most cases, the throttle body). Like i said earlier, any leak before this point should not give problems. But leaks after this point will definitely cause engine performance issues. Therefore only leaks around the manifold gasket, throttle body gasket or the manifold itself (cracked manifold) should be suspected when such issues arise, not leaking hoses.

the MAF on the other hand measures volume of air, which is then stoicometrically compensated for via the required pulse with of the injectors, depending on the driving conditions. For it to be most effective, it is always located immediately after the Air filter box. This means that any air that goes into the engine after this point will be unaccounted for, giving rise to lean codes and whatnot.

Some cars use both systems e.g 2008 Honda accord 4 cylinder( Gazzuzz check your engine bay, i might be wrong).

In the OP's case, what he should be worried about is the quality of air going into the combustion chamber. It would definitely affect the MAP sensor, which will end up becoming dirty and may start giving false readings to the ECU. , causing engine performance problems...
This is aside the long term damage it might cause the engine.

If we go by ur last paragraph then its safe to say that dirty air might as well seep fru the Air filter.
But in summary OP is going to get a vacuum leak and problem would be air fuel mixture functioning at wrong readings from the Ecu.
In my opinion I think you all are saying same thing, the outcome of this problem would be use of more fuel.
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by honmusa(m): 4:46pm On Oct 20, 2017
chukel:
Can u explain why map was dropped in favour of maf in subsequent later model of Camry ,I want to learn from u .I am sure you are not born yet when I start to understand the concept of maf and map.
Too many small kids in car talk this days ,no wonder Siena left for goods.
I just put up a video now to show that 5S engine can run lean even with map sensor to prove that concept of map sensor not responding to vacuum leak is not applicable in this case .So what else again u need to hear

1 Like

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by Inception(m): 6:31pm On Oct 20, 2017
honmusa:

Can u explain why map was dropped in favour of maf in subsequent later model of Camry ,I want to learn from u .I am sure you are not born yet when I start to understand the concept of maf and map.

Easy bro grin

Well , this is a platform to share what we know and understand. some people might agree with you, some might not, based on their frame of reference.

What matters however is hard facts and readily available knowledge for all to tap from and see from a common viewpoint.

1 Like

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by sultaan(m): 6:40pm On Oct 20, 2017
I don't know anything but I know the oyinbo engineer eye design am put a duct with no holes in there for a reason and they clamped it tight so just defer to factory specs
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by Inception(m): 7:02pm On Oct 20, 2017
sultaan:
I don't know anything but I know the oyinbo engineer eye design am put a duct with no holes in there for a reason and they clamped it tight so just defer to factory specs

shocked

bros and all the while i think say u be oyinbo grin
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by obekediamondfuto(m): 7:27pm On Oct 20, 2017
Inception:

shocked
bros and all the while i think say u be oyinbo grin
Asin ehn
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by obekediamondfuto(m): 7:36pm On Oct 20, 2017
honmusa:

I just put up a video now to show that 5S engine can run lean even with map sensor to prove that concept of map sensor not responding to vacuum leak is not applicable in this case .So what else again u need to hear

oga wetin happen sef, which one is kids again? last time I checked elders respect themselves and others so they can be respected in return! everyone here is speaking based on their area of specialization, references and experience.
those that refuse to take ur own r kids? which video exactly? do u know how many YouTube videos contradict themselves? are the video owners not professionals or self acclaimed experts? noro nu otu nga oh.

wen u try so hard to drive a point, it makes u look weak and unlearned and either poorly informed or uninformed. the bottom line is op should change intake body.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Toyota 4runner 2000 Vs Infiniti QX4 2002 / Lagos Driving 101 / Where To Get Volvo Parts Dealers In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.