Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,954 members, 7,817,797 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

Auto Guru, Please Help. - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Auto Guru, Please Help. (8141 Views)

Expert Advice Urgently Needed From The Auto Guru!!! / Guys My Vehicle Was Saved From An Incompetent Nairaland Auto Guru Mayor2013 / Guru's Please Help Me Read My Cars Mpg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:40am On Oct 22, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Nope. Nothing of the sort.

There are general rules like was quoted above, then there are specifics per vehicle.

Some vehicles are tuned to run richer than others, only by checking factory specifications will you determine how a specific vehicle performs and deviates from a general rule or its particular implementation of a general standard.

I defer to the information from the factory.

Infact, I consult factory information for every repair job, I believe it would be terrible to present me information that I should know but I do not, I would lose face.

One thing you can never get from me...I will not attack anyone, and if I am attacked, I will respond in a very civil manner. If I see what I do not agree with, I will present counterfacts, but no name calling or slurs.

So, I will go with factory information and I recommend everyone to do the same.

Have a lovely morning...and do the best to build your brand by responding in a mature way, the world is watching.

ooooooh i feel like hugging u now...#nohomo#
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:41am On Oct 22, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Nope. Nothing of the sort.

There are general rules like was quoted above, then there are specifics per vehicle.

Some vehicles are tuned to run richer than others, only by checking factory specifications will you determine how a specific vehicle performs and deviates from a general rule or its particular implementation of a general standard.

I defer to the information from the factory.

Infact, I consult factory information for every repair job, I believe it would be terrible to present me information that I should know but I do not, I would lose face.

One thing you can never get from me...I will not attack anyone, and if I am attacked, I will respond in a very civil manner. If I see what I do not agree with, I will present counterfacts, but no name calling or slurs.

So, I will go with factory information and I recommend everyone to do the same.

Have a lovely morning...and do the best to build your brand by responding in a mature way, the world is watching.

oooh I feel like hugging u. #nohomo# p
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by nurey(m): 10:42am On Oct 22, 2017
oyefelix:
Autoelectng ,abeg I need your unbiased view ,I can see you peeping.
Nurey and co don already chop bribe and no want talk again

I didn't respond to this topic because my knowledge about automobiles is not as sharp as the gurus here. Nobody can afford to bribe me as my price is integrity grin

Oyefelix try to be more civil and show evidence in details and stop throwing jabs at others. Cartalk threads are learning points in future, in 2years time, this thread would be used as a reference point, you don't want to be known as an utaka attacker Thuraya tongue
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by oyefelix(m): 11:06am On Oct 22, 2017
nurey:

I didn't respond to this topic because my knowledge about automobiles is not as sharp as the gurus here. Nobody can afford to bribe me as my price is integrity grin

Oyefelix try to be more civil and show evidence in details and stop throwing jabs at others. Cartalk threads are learning points in future, in 2years time, this thread would be used as a reference point, you don't want to be known as an utaka attacker Thuraya tongue
Those boys should be cautioned too to stop attacking my own oga too especially when they are openly wrong .

1 Like

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by obekediamondfuto(m): 11:19am On Oct 22, 2017
oyefelix:

Those boys should be cautioned too to stop attacking my own oga too especially when they are openly wrong .

ok we will caution them
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by Kashif(m): 11:23am On Oct 22, 2017
What a thread!

This is Cartalk, known for maturity and mutual respect. It's is supposed for knwledgeable minds and learners alike. We don't need to hurl disparaging remarks at each other. Somebody does not know what you know simply because he has not been exposed to it. A perfect mind is all of us put together. I love civility but know I have been found wanting too! Too much space and time have been taken here on personal attacks, instead of education.

Peace everyone!

On to the matter.....

Even if the air filter hose in a MAP system is burst completely open, and funnel attached, the MAP reading will not change, and the engine should not run lean. However, if there is a post MAP leak, there will be engine performance issues.

Even in MAF design, a post MAF leak will have little effect on the MAF reading (depending on the size of the leakage) but will cause performance issues due to the unmeasured air.

The difference in STFT and LTFT is in their names. Short term tells you what is happening now while long term tells you what has been happening. Assuming the open hose has an effect on the FT in Gazzuzz experiment, it would show in STFT, not LTFT. If a lean or performance code is not set in 100km, I don't see it setting. To eliminate all doubt, run the car in check mode.

On the flip, for that engine to have a LTFT of 16% means there is an underlying problem. There is too much air going in, or there is fuel supply problem. I personally will be concerned if my LTFT is more than 3%.

Shalom.

1 Like

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by mayor2013: 11:36am On Oct 22, 2017
Kashif:
What a thread!

This is Cartalk, known for maturity and mutual respect. It's is supposed for knwledgeable minds and learners alike. We don't need to hurl disparaging remarks at each other. Somebody does not know what you know simply because he has not been exposed to it. A perfect mind is all of us put together. I love civility but know I have been found wanting too! Too much space and time have been taken here on personal attacks, instead of education.

Peace everyone!

On to the matter.....

Even if the air filter hose in a MAP system is burst completely open, and funnel attached, the MAP reading will not change, and the engine should not run lean. However, if there is a post MAP leak, there will be engine performance issues.

Even in MAF design, a post MAF leak will have little effect on the MAF reading (depending on the size of the leakage) but will cause performance issues due to the unmeasured air.

The difference in STFT and LTFT is in their names. Short term tells you what is happening now while long term tells you what has been happening. Assuming the open hose has an effect on the FT in Gazzuzz experiment, it would show in STFT, not LTFT. If a lean or performance code is not set in 100km, I don't see it setting. To eliminate all doubt, run the car in check mode.

On the flip, for that engine to have a LTFT of 16% means there is an underlying problem. There is too much air going in, or there is fuel supply problem. I personally will be concerned if my LTFT is more than 3%.

Shalom.

You have spoken brilliantly well. Your last paragraph killed it all. This area is where is still being swept under the carpet. The big question here goes thus:

" What happens if too much air continues to go into the engine"
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by LeJeun3: 11:45am On Oct 22, 2017
oyefelix:

What do you mean by openly wrong ?? That's strange

oyefelix:

What Fuel Trim Values Should Be

Ideally, the STFT and LTFT should be within a few percentage points of zero when the engine is idling or being held at a steady RPM. Remember, STFT can bounce around quite a bit as when you suddenly snap open the throttle or decelerate. But LTFT can tell you if the average fuel/mixture is running rich or lean.

Good LTFT values should be as close to zero as possible, though they can range from 5 to 8 percent depending on the condition of the engine. If the LTFT is getting up around 10 percent or higher, it usually indicates a problem that needs to be diagnosed.

LTFT values that get up around 20 to 25 percent will usually set a P0171 or P0174 lean code.

LTFT values that drop down to negative 20 to 25 will usually set a P0172 or P0175 rich code.
Source-http://www.aa1car.com/library/what_is_fuel_trim.htm
Your LTFT is 16% what do u call this condition ?so for your mind now no issue.return job go plenty for your shop .

Even that isn't for a 1998 vehicle...with a MAP

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by AutoElectNG: 11:49am On Oct 22, 2017
oyefelix:
Autoelectng ,abeg I need your unbiased view ,I can see you peeping.
Nurey and co don already chop bribe and no want talk again

Will comment after going through factory information...no time now

cc: oyefelix

MODIFIED:

1. The fuel trims both STFT and LTFT provided that they fall between 0 +/- 20% are said to be normal according to factory specifications. ECU will only set lean or rich codes if vehicle out of factory specifications range, but values in experiment by Gaz.zuzz within factory specifications, so there can be no lead code as speculated in this case.

2. Will address other part(s) of your query later, when I cross-check the other values with the documentation.
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:49am On Oct 22, 2017
mayor2013:

You have spoken brilliantly well. Your last paragraph killed it all. This area is where is still being swept under the carpet. The big question here goes thus:

" What happens if too much air continues to go into the engine "

butterfly/IACV controls air into intake. Where will too much air come from?

I will use My IX35 for next example, same principles apply.
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by LeJeun3: 11:50am On Oct 22, 2017
Kashif:
What a thread!

Peace everyone!

On to the matter.....

Shalom.

God bless you Sir...

All we have been trying to highlight is that removing that hose in that particular car will do nothing to the car...

Hose leads straight to air cleaner/air filter.

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by chukel(m): 12:10pm On Oct 22, 2017
mayor2013:

" What happens if too much air continues to go into the engine"
u still don't get it or u conveniently want to argue adamantly. He made a brilliant explanation of the stft. That's where the effect of the experiment gazzuz did would have shown. But u skipped it. Note, at 16% that vehicle isn't running lean. And if anyone should investigate the cause of the 16% ltft, it will not be the immediate experiment done by gazzuzz of which stft responds to almost zero. Gazzuzz for wipe the dtc complete before giving us reading. That would have shown the true ltft.

1 Like

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by nurey(m): 12:58pm On Oct 22, 2017
oyefelix:

So GAZZUZZ and his coherts are trying to derail the thread and make trouble. I can see alot of people throwing jabs up and down but some people's jab is equivalent to part 2.

Please assist me by listing there monikers and don't reply or hurl insults again, I will personally ban anybody found wanting.
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by timifakay(m): 1:17pm On Oct 22, 2017
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by chukel(m): 1:29pm On Oct 22, 2017
mayor2013:

I don't need to pull out an argument on this. Did you just ask me that question up there. You better come to the field of play first. An advice
leave field of play and answer this. That's a very lame excuse. If you don't understand the theoretical basics of this issue, what will u then apply in field of play. At what mile do u expect that car to throw up ur phantom lean code. U should be very grateful for having been taught something new on this thread. There is no shame in it. Everyone learns. I learn too

1 Like

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by obekediamondfuto(m): 1:34pm On Oct 22, 2017
timifakay:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/6142589_img20171022132235_jpegc4586f61c5aed2b34b84390af659c239
Vehicle used for experiment.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6142590_img20171022093743_jpega9d3dda938f61cc1c3d4a0091300aad0
Dashboard of said vehicle in the YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxRyHVczYFs

. thank you so much for your time and resources. hopefully this will help the blind see

1 Like

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by obekediamondfuto(m): 1:38pm On Oct 22, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

no need for another experiment to buttress this issue, we all know the truth and I'm sure of that.
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by chukel(m): 1:55pm On Oct 22, 2017
Timifakay thanks a lot. i see daddy peeping and not commenting. We all learn. obekediamondfuto (whatever this ur moniker means) well done. Moral of this whole thing is to understand the theoretical basics of anything before delving in. I remember when a so called professional here, labelled autoelectng as a textbook mechanic and challenged him to come to the field. Truth is that if your foundation is not well rooted, then u cant stand. Peace

1 Like

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:57pm On Oct 22, 2017
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by chukel(m): 1:59pm On Oct 22, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

whats you summary sir?
it's evident sir. Same reading before and after.
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:07pm On Oct 22, 2017
oyefelix, what you do not know is that outside of NL honmusa, mayor2013 and I are very good friends, this is just technical sparing, very good for our knowledge base.

I ran thru your old posts and realized you have grown in knowledge since your last threads.

Argue technically, its good for your knowledge base.

1 Like

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by timifakay(m): 2:14pm On Oct 22, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

whats you summary sir?
Intake connected.
STFT: -10.2%
LTFT: 25.0%
MAP: 33kpa
RPM: 804/min

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6142665_screenshot20171022134416_jpegcccf60c58b11d9f7a3f7093ebe829149

STFT: -1.6%
LTFT: -0.8%
RPM: 1673/min

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6142666_screenshot20171022134429_jpeg14450526084c21cad7e383042c286c30

STFT: -4.7%
LTFT: 8.6%
MAP: 41kpa
RPM: 3091/min

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6142667_screenshot20171022134432_jpeg3fcc61a97d8cea94d89609475460f4ec

Intake disconnected

STFT: -8.6%
MAP: 34kpa
RPM: 849/min

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6142670_screenshot20171022134440_jpeg2d4aa71a01c3eb9f9c6d966a35e35a98

STFT: - 8.6%
MAP: 46kpa
RPM: 1733/min

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6142671_screenshot20171022134444_jpegf24e22ecb30583f783ca7de0ff05c1c8

STFT: -0.6%
LTFT: 13.3%
MAP: 44kpa
RPM: 3187/min

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6142672_screenshot20171022134450_jpegaa449a807a5962a1a97bf6e304555652

Same values before intake was disconnected, when intake was disconnected and after intake was connected.
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by mayor2013: 2:53pm On Oct 22, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Ram air
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:55pm On Oct 22, 2017
mayor2013:

Ram air

I honsetly do not get you? undecided
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by mayor2013: 3:07pm On Oct 22, 2017
chukel:
leave field of play and answer this. That's a very lame excuse. If you don't understand the theoretical basics of this issue, what will u then apply in field of play. At what mile do u expect that car to throw up ur phantom lean code. U should be very grateful for having been taught something new on this thread. There is no shame in it. Everyone learns. I learn too

it's better you understand the technicalities here. You seem too arrogant which I don't really understand why. We aren't wrestling. I talked about ecu readiness which you do not seem fit to decipher. Since this is the result no more worries on engaging you further in technical discussions. I rest to my case
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by mayor2013: 3:18pm On Oct 22, 2017
timifakay:

Intake connected.
STFT: -10.2%
RPM: 804/min

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6142665_screenshot20171022134416_jpegcccf60c58b11d9f7a3f7093ebe829149

STFT: -1.6%
RPM: 1673/min

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6142666_screenshot20171022134429_jpeg14450526084c21cad7e383042c286c30

STFT: -4.7%
LTFT: 8.6%
MAP: 41kpa
RPM: 3091/min

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6142667_screenshot20171022134432_jpeg3fcc61a97d8cea94d89609475460f4ec

Intake disconnected

STFT: -8.6%
MAP: 34kpa
RPM: 849/min

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6142670_screenshot20171022134440_jpeg2d4aa71a01c3eb9f9c6d966a35e35a98

STFT: - 8.6%
MAP: 46kpa
RPM: 1733/min

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6142671_screenshot20171022134444_jpegf24e22ecb30583f783ca7de0ff05c1c8

STFT: -0.6%
LTFT: 13.3%
MAP: 44kpa
RPM: 3187/min

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6142672_screenshot20171022134450_jpegaa449a807a5962a1a97bf6e304555652

Same values before intake was disconnected, when intake was disconnected and after intake was connected.

After you disconnected your intake air hose. Look at the value your getting on your LTFT(25%). Don't you fink that value is too significant compared to when your intake air hose is connected. Outside of this you never showed us values while driving car was just on a stationery platform.
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:23pm On Oct 22, 2017
mayor2013:

After you disconnected your intake air hose. Look at the value your getting on your LTFT(25%). Don't you fink that value is too significant compared to when your intake air hose is connected. Outside of this you never showed us values while driving car was just on a stationery platform.

increasing engine rev will mimic driving. But im sure you already knew that wink

1 Like

Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by mayor2013: 3:41pm On Oct 22, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

increasing engine rev will mimic driving. But im sure you already knew that wink

That's been biased if you don't do that. The experiment cannot meet our further expectations grin
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by timifakay(m): 3:45pm On Oct 22, 2017
mayor2013:

There's a cost attached to the bolded part.
While idle, the LTFT was the same in both scenarios, please check it again.

Besides, the essence of motion is to have varying RPM which I already did. Watch the video again or contact me on whatsapp if you want me to send it to you.
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by honmusa(m): 4:55pm On Oct 22, 2017
Too many controversy .Watch out for my own test tomorrow .
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by oyefelix(m): 5:32pm On Oct 22, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
oyefelix, what you do not know is that outside of NL honmusa, mayor2013 and I are very good friends, this is just technical sparing, very good for our knowledge base.

I ran thru your old posts and realized you have grown in knowledge since your last threads.

Argue technically, its good for your knowledge base.
whatever I know today the credit goes to my oga and I can't stand your boys to be rubbishing him .
Re: Auto Guru, Please Help. by honmusa(m): 5:34pm On Oct 22, 2017
oyefelix:

whatever I know today the credit goes to my oga and I can't stand your boys to be rubbishing him .
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Car Is Overheating / Is Antifreeze The Radiator Coolant? / Okada Or Keke Napep, Which One Scares You Most?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.