Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,261 members, 7,822,322 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover (22335 Views)

Let's Hear Your Worst Sleepover Experience / My Father-in-law Wants Me To Always Prostrate Wherever I See Him / ‘my Brother-in-law Wants To Share Bed With Me’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by Nobody: 8:46pm On Oct 27, 2017
Initiation things grin.

Don't ask me to go into details

1 Like

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by blackbeau1(f): 8:47pm On Oct 27, 2017
What's wrong with that ? I spent holidays with my grandma and I don't see how that can hurt a child. You are making a mountain out of a molehill

3 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by motun2017(f): 8:47pm On Oct 27, 2017
im sure if it's ur mum u wont oblige
Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by talk2percy(m): 8:52pm On Oct 27, 2017
Bro, there's nothing wrong with ur child spending the night with her granny...or is there sth more u are not telling us

2 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by ChiSun27(m): 8:53pm On Oct 27, 2017
Marrying a white woman means that you've to drop some parts of your Nija mentality. Be flexible bro.

4 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by enemyofprogress: 8:53pm On Oct 27, 2017
keepingmum:
I hope when your mum or relative ask for a sleepover with your child you ll maintain the same stance sha...
leave him,let him start what he can't finish

3 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by Josh44s(m): 8:55pm On Oct 27, 2017
I feel the child is way too young and the mother in law have to wait a little more. Let’s say when the child is around 5 years old. I will advice you it for peace sake. Like so many people commented, it will give you and madam some privacy and quality time.
Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by chloride6: 8:56pm On Oct 27, 2017
Since na oyinbo no problem na.

1 Like

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by enemyofprogress: 8:56pm On Oct 27, 2017
talk2percy:
Bro, there's nothing wrong with ur child spending the night with her granny...or is there sth more u are not telling us
no mind am. He is indirectly calling grandma a witch. Once I leave here now I'm going to show his post to the woman and her family

2 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by WaffenSS(m): 8:57pm On Oct 27, 2017
Mudley313:
Abeg, I need some advice concerning this matter

Me and my wife just quarreled because her mother asked for our only daughter who is two and half to sleep at her place and I said NO because I was not too comfortable with the idea. My wife is an only daughter and the mother is single with no husband or boyfriend. We give her all the time she wants alone with our child but she just seems obsessed with having her alone for a sleepover and my body no catch dat one. Her reason is she wants to bond more and she was very close with her own garandma blah, blah, blah. But this woman has been very manipulative in me and her daughters relationship in the past because they're abnormally close. Although she has pipped down a bit, I just don't want to create an opening for her to start that with my own daughter cos why would she insist for an all-night? what is wrong with spending time during the day time? what's so special about night time? Is it just to be able to have total control?

Anyway, I go appreciate una feedback and advice well well if anyone here have experienced such before and I don't want to come out looking like I'm overreacting

P.S. By the way, my wife na oyinbo, so I just wanna gather a proper naija perspective on the matter. Thank you in advance!

Don't let them.

Else you'll wake up one day and it's you against 3 females.

5 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by Templa(m): 8:57pm On Oct 27, 2017
Small tins like this dey scatter marriage.. Always allow children bond with their grannies and inlaws..they actually do the bonding for you...so no biggie..afterall the sleep over does not make ur kid hers..whats the issue here sef..seems there is more to this..

4 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by pennywys(m): 9:01pm On Oct 27, 2017
Mudley313:

Me and my wife just quarreled because her mother asked for our only daughter who is two and half to sleep at her place and I said NO because I was not too comfortable with the idea. My wife is an only daughter and the mother is single with no husband or boyfriend. We give her all the time she wants alone with our child but she just seems obsessed with having her alone for a sleepover and my body no catch dat one. Her reason is she wants to bond more and she was very close with her own garandma blah, blah, blah. But this woman has been very manipulative in me and her daughters relationship in the past because they're abnormally close. Although she has pipped down a bit, I just don't want to create an opening for her to start that with my own daughter cos why would she insist for an all-night? what is wrong with spending time during the day time? what's so special about night time? Is it just to be able to have total control?

Anyway, I go appreciate una feedback and advice well well if anyone here have experienced such before and I don't want to come out looking like I'm overreacting

P.S. By the way, my wife na oyinbo, so I just wanna gather a proper naija perspective on the matter. Thank you in advance!
OP you no get work, I believe your mother in law is passionate in love with her grand child and I see nothing wrong with that if you ask me. I grew up with my grandmother and today I proud of a man I become

1 Like

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by Nobody: 9:01pm On Oct 27, 2017
Well.. I see nothing wrong with that. Let her babysit for you guys. Have all night fun with your wife.. no biggie..

1 Like

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by madgoat(m): 9:03pm On Oct 27, 2017
Mudley313:

Once you start this, then maintain this same stance as regards sleep over irrespective of the person requesting ur daughter to sleep over even if its your mum. Personally i dont even like the idea of children sleeping over outside the house, the time spent during the day is enough. At 2 - 3 years, she is still too young to be separated from her immediate family except if your wife will sleep over with her. The mum should respect the sanctity of family life. Maybe when shes older like 10 years u can allow it occasionally and for few days.
@OP a solution is to allow ur wife go spend a vacation with her mum and she takes ur daughter along. My wife did it during xmas last year with my 2 years old son for a week because theres no way i will ever allow my son sleep outside my house if his mum is not with him. It can never happen not even with my own mother.

1 Like

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by yinkaellamz(m): 9:05pm On Oct 27, 2017
This woman gave birth to your wife, took care of her and make her good enough to be your wife.
so whats the problem with bonding with your child.
Be a man and focus on other things in your marriage.
This is a non-issue.

6 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by Sierusvirus(m): 9:07pm On Oct 27, 2017
Mudley313:

Bro, for me, it's too early not only from what you have observed about her.
Don't allow her to manipulate your daughter at this tender age of forming their characters and behavior.
Even if you will, you should stay with her there.

4 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by PussyKrook: 9:08pm On Oct 27, 2017
Mudley313:

Bros, I understand what you are going through. Stuff like this happens. Naija perspective or not, stick to your guns, but be flexible. You can say the baby is too young to be left alone with the granny. And by the way, she will have enough time with the baby in due course. Ideally, the baby would visit and stay over when she/he gets older. Usually, the day visits and the weekend visits are more than enough.

Be diplomatic, but be firm in a loving way. This wont tear your marriage apart. The baby will visit and sleep over when the time is right. Dont worry about the manipulative aspect. This is your immediate family, and thank God the granny is oyinbo, they understand this perfectly.
Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by Nobody: 9:08pm On Oct 27, 2017
WaffenSS:

Don't let them.

Else you'll wake up one day and it's you against 3 females.
GBAM!
The battle for control by females... no be today he start!
As someone said I would have waited till the child is 5/6 years old. Because once a 'bad' software is programmed into the OS, it could be very hard to remove.

4 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by LotusFan: 9:09pm On Oct 27, 2017
It’s good for kids to have a relationship and forge a bond with their grandparents while they are alive and sleep overs are a great way to achieve this. Mummy and Daddy can make gooooood use of this time also. wink

I see nothing wrong with it as long as the grandmother does not smoke or behave in a way that would make you feel your child is not safe.

Besides, na she born your wife, raise am, sotey you see am, like am, marry am. Abeg, no fear bros.

8 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by Sermwell(m): 9:12pm On Oct 27, 2017
Gentlevin:
Bro some times a man will have to agree with his wife.....but some times a man has to remain firm to his decision on matters that will affect his family negatively........(If only Adam thought of d negative result eating d fruit would bring, he won't allow d love for his wife, eve to blind him with agreeing wit her....now we are all in dis mess)......
You were making a lot of sense until you brought in Adam and Eve trash!
Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by therapistmrs: 9:16pm On Oct 27, 2017
Well its your call and if you say no to your mother inlaws request then remember to weight it well.
If it were your mum what would be your answer? Have you and your wife discussed this issue and arrived at a common agreement because at the end of the day thats all that matters, evening if you have a gut feeling about it discuss it with your wife.
An issue has little as this can bring up serious issues in the marriage. That's why communication between couples is the answer to all.
All the best
therapistmrs..com
Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by kingdenny(m): 9:16pm On Oct 27, 2017
Mudley313:

You got some screws loose or what? Did you not read where the mother in law have full access to the child and its only the sleeping over thingy I'm bothered about?? You say my MIL is not manipulative. Do you know her or do you know me before?? If this woman had her way this my child wouldn't even have been born and you're here knacking teeth on matter you know nothing about. I know i am married to an only child and I have spent all the time in the relationship compromising but sorry, that compromise is not gonna be extending to my daughter. My daughter comes first, not the feelings of some single old lady who can't keep a man to save her life

Mr man, you came seeking advice and when someone gives you their own side of opinion, you start to vibrate like a mad cow that has been let loose. Get a grip... don't come here to share your family issue, if u not open to listen to views....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by sanpipita(m): 9:17pm On Oct 27, 2017
ivolt:
Is your mother-in-law a pervert that can't be trusted
with children?
If no, why do you object?

Most sensible comment here so far, how can he so negative about his child visiting his mother in law even for one night? the guy should tell us the full story, must be something not ordinary he is worried about.

4 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by LotusFan: 9:17pm On Oct 27, 2017
yinkaellamz:
This woman gave birth to your wife, took care of her and make her good enough to be your wife.
so whats the problem with bonding with your child.
Be a man and focus on other things in your marriage.
This is a non-issue.

GBAM

6 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by jenyna: 9:17pm On Oct 27, 2017
Abeg make she come take my son for sleep over o. He needs it grin

8 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by honniemail(f): 9:27pm On Oct 27, 2017
I was abt typing this...u spoke my mind abi y did he bring it here when u knew ur mind wad made up

4 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by mhizsuzzy(f): 9:30pm On Oct 27, 2017
pls if I may ask why don't u want ur daughter to sleep over at granny place. You can't not just not agree like there must be a reason
Follow ur instincts sometimes lyf has taught me that

1 Like

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by AnanseK(m): 9:42pm On Oct 27, 2017
Mudley313:

My mom actually came to help when the child was first born and there was a lot of clash over house and kitchen rules and we tried our best to respect that so everyone can be happy. My dad was actually an only child also and my mom said the mistake she made was not put her foot down with her own mother in law when she needed to at the beginning until it was too late.

For those saying I'm selfish, me I know what I went through from this manipulative woman before I was able to marry here child and now that a grandchild has solidified our union more she seem to be insecure looking for a way in. This is why I asked, why night? If not for a way of looking for a way to exert back control.

I know what I've been through and my child will not be used as a pun for all that childish manipulative moves. Better to be safe than sorry. She can have her all she want during the day; weekdays or weekends. If that one nor reach, me I nor no wetin to talk put for the matter again

Don't deprive your children of grandmotherly love. In time your daughter would want to spend part of her school holidays with grandma. Days that will remain memorable all her life ( when grandma is no more.)
In Africa your child doesn't belong to only you. And it is selfish to take Away somebody's only daughter ( your wife) and then be so worried about letting a girl ( your daughter) stay overnight at her own grandmother's place.

How safe is her own daughter with you anyway?

4 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by MrEgghead(m): 9:44pm On Oct 27, 2017
Mudley313:

You deserve hot slap for these hogwash of a story.. You're an unrepentant fool, selfish and egocentric being..She gave birth to your wife and raise her up well and that's why you married her;She wouldn't have ulterior motive towards her grandchild.. People are damn wicked!

5 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by DeKen: 9:48pm On Oct 27, 2017
Mudley313:

This is a tough call. I understand this kind of concern. If it is an option, I will suggest you have your wife go along with your child. I hope that can make a difference.

1 Like

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by Malawian(m): 9:49pm On Oct 27, 2017
If you can't trust your own mother inlaw with your child, then, I wonder what you are really doing in that marriage.

2 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by DavidEsq(m): 9:49pm On Oct 27, 2017
cococandy:
So your child will never spend the night at her grandma’s house. How sad.
It’s the highlight of every kid’s childhood.
Not in all situations, my dear; especially down here. I've seen some shit that nobody wld ever believe, cos they all think she is cool. My dear, that one night can be the beginning of an irreversible twist in a child's life. I'm not referring to this kid in particular but I'm just saying "highlights" of such ain't always so. U never see raw wickedness that wld chill ur blood and I pray u don't ever see such, cos it wld permanently scar ur mind and probably drive u insane in many ways.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

This 40-year-old Mother Of One Declared Missing (photo) / Woman From Bristol To Pay N900k For Someone To Make Decision For Her For A Month / My Wife Burnt My Boxers Because I Didn't Give Her 30k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.