Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,290 members, 7,822,437 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover (22336 Views)

Let's Hear Your Worst Sleepover Experience / My Father-in-law Wants Me To Always Prostrate Wherever I See Him / ‘my Brother-in-law Wants To Share Bed With Me’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by Handsomebeing(m): 9:49pm On Oct 27, 2017
Be very careful and be a man. It worked for me. I’ve put my own mother in law in check after I noticed her influence on my wife.

BE A MAN.

1 Like

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by Sparkles003(f): 9:51pm On Oct 27, 2017
Personally the only time my children below 10years can sleep outside the home inclusive of grandma house is if my enemy is sick,traveling,we all are holidaying with grandma or seriously indisposed.... The grandma should be satisfied with daily day time visits.the child is just too young to spend the night outside without the supervision of her mother or dad there

5 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by kennykane1(m): 9:52pm On Oct 27, 2017
Well pal, whether you are married to a white or black lady it doesn't really make any difference. In my opinion, a child of 2.5yrs old cannot spend a night out without the mother or father present in the house. In my own case, my wife (Oyibo) will not even allow it for the fact that baby is still too young to be left alone all night.

1 Like

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by Phi001(m): 9:54pm On Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one that's not feeling the grandmother love?

I was never close to any of my grandparents, so there's that.
Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by magni2016(m): 9:55pm On Oct 27, 2017
OP, you don play betnaija tire. Which one be 2.5

2 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by Desyner: 10:02pm On Oct 27, 2017
Mudley313:
Abeg, I need some advice concerning this matter

Me and my wife just quarreled because her mother asked for our only daughter who is two and half to sleep at her place and I said NO because I was not too comfortable with the idea. My wife is an only daughter and the mother is single with no husband or boyfriend. We give her all the time she wants alone with our child but she just seems obsessed with having her alone for a sleepover and my body no catch dat one. Her reason is she wants to bond more and she was very close with her own garandma blah, blah, blah. But this woman has been very manipulative in me and her daughters relationship in the past because they're abnormally close. Although she has pipped down a bit, I just don't want to create an opening for her to start that with my own daughter cos why would she insist for an all-night? what is wrong with spending time during the day time? what's so special about night time? Is it just to be able to have total control?

Anyway, I go appreciate una feedback and advice well well if anyone here have experienced such before and I don't want to come out looking like I'm overreacting

P.S. By the way, my wife na oyinbo, so I just wanna gather a proper naija perspective on the matter. Thank you in advance!
Don't fúcking try it. There is the abstract and the concrete in life. Nature abhors vacuum. Never give in to a request that has a weak explanation.

3 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by NoToPile: 10:05pm On Oct 27, 2017
As long as you hold the same stance with your mum.

I am surprised this thread is on FP and only 3 pages, I can only imagine the bashings if it was a wife who didn't allow her daughter to spend the night at MIL place. grin

6 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by Acidosis(m): 10:14pm On Oct 27, 2017
cococandy:
Well why not say what it is before asking for people’s opinions.
I’m sure most people including me will see no problems with kids spending a night or two at their grandparents’ unless there is a solid reason not to.
So far you have given no reason except to say you went through stuff.

Until then,

As usual, you can never make any reasonable comment without some high levels of gender bias.

I know exactly what you and your co-horts would do if you notice an extreme closeness between your MIL and your husband and same measure of closeness between your MIL and your only child of 2 years.

Grandma wants to bond with my child because she bonded with her grandmom.. What kind of excuse is that? Such can only come from a highly manipulative person.

2 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by VULCAN(m): 10:16pm On Oct 27, 2017
Since you're mind is made up why did you ask for advice. LOL

Mudley313:

My mom actually came to help when the child was first born and there was a lot of clash over house and kitchen rules and we tried our best to respect that so everyone can be happy. My dad was actually an only child also and my mom said the mistake she made was not put her foot down with her own mother in law when she needed to at the beginning until it was too late.

For those saying I'm selfish, me I know what I went through from this manipulative woman before I was able to marry here child and now that a grandchild has solidified our union more she seem to be insecure looking for a way in. This is why I asked, why night? If not for a way of looking for a way to exert back control.

I know what I've been through and my child will not be used as a pun for all that childish manipulative moves. Better to be safe than sorry. She can have her all she want during the day; weekdays or weekends. If that one nor reach, me I nor no wetin to talk put for the matter again

2 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by adatemi: 10:17pm On Oct 27, 2017
Having sleep over @ granny's house shouldn't be a problem but if you're not comfortable with the idea because of the girl's age then ur wife will have to explain ur concerns to her mom. But bonding can also occur without sleeping over, granny can take the little girl to the park or spend the entire somewhere.
Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by kaffy4tope(m): 10:32pm On Oct 27, 2017
Don't try it bro.....

Her intention is to abuse the innocent baby....infact don't ever allow her to have privacy with the lil girl.

Don't mind all these Indomie Generations comments.

1 Like

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by Mudley313: 10:33pm On Oct 27, 2017
VULCAN:
Since you're mind is made up why did you ask for advice. LOL

Like I've explained earlier, I only opened this thread cos I just was not comfortable with the idea and only completely made up my mind after I thought more about it and talked to others and that's why you see that post. From the reply here, it seems to be a personal preference thing probably based on family background and probably the gender of the poster.

We have settled it and stuck with a compromise whereby the child's mother will be there with them. No wahala

2 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by Mudley313: 10:37pm On Oct 27, 2017
MrEgghead:
I deserve hot slap for these hogwash of a reply.. My father is an unrepentant fool, selfish and egocentric being

I agree
Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by blazebaba(m): 10:38pm On Oct 27, 2017
grin
sisisioge:
Haba, no issue. Spending the night at Nana's shouldn't be an issue especially since they are oyinbos. I'm sure your lil one will be fine there. Mama lost her only daughter to you, biko allow her bond with yours too nau.

By the way, it will give you an opportunity to bond more with your wife wink
cry
sisisioge:
Haba, no issue. Spending the night at Nana's shouldn't be an issue especially since they are oyinbos. I'm sure your lil one will be fine there. Mama lost her only daughter to you, biko allow her bond with yours too nau.

By the way, it will give you an opportunity to bond more with your wife wink
i agree with you bro,you making sense,i can see some bleeped comment above me grin cheesy
Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by Augustap(f): 10:51pm On Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing wrong with ur lil baby sleeping with granny. Although you made mention of manipulation, i don't think she'll try something stupid with your daughter. She should know better than that. The sleepover will help them bond. But you can reject the offer only if you'll not allow your daughter stay with ur mum overnight too. Though i guess you're this protective cos of her age

1 Like

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by jaxxy(m): 10:56pm On Oct 27, 2017
Mudley313:
Well, from what I can tell it seems to be a preference thing (everyone with their own individual preference, I guess). For me, I'm sticking to my guns and will hopefully try and do it in a way in which everyone is okay at the end.

Thank you all for your advice!

Its all depends on u and when ure feel ready and comfortable with it. U can say no. Ow and later if u see hood reasons say yes later bt don't let anyone dictate unnecessarily in ur house. However its good the child bonds with his grandmum at some point. My sis kid dis so with my mum at about 3years tho it tool her hubby time to agree on dat bt seeing my mums goodwill and intent he allowed. Theses days if hes off for a trip cos my sis isn't arrnd he takes d kid to her for weeks. So i guess it depends
Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by Wiseandtrue(f): 11:04pm On Oct 27, 2017
Mudley313:

Me and my wife just quarreled because her mother asked for our only daughter who is two and half to sleep at her place and I said NO because I was not too comfortable with the idea. My wife is an only daughter and the mother is single with no husband or boyfriend. We give her all the time she wants alone with our child but she just seems obsessed with having her alone for a sleepover and my body no catch dat one. Her reason is she wants to bond more and she was very close with her own garandma blah, blah, blah. But this woman has been very manipulative in me and her daughters relationship in the past because they're abnormally close. Although she has pipped down a bit, I just don't want to create an opening for her to start that with my own daughter cos why would she insist for an all-night? what is wrong with spending time during the day time? what's so special about night time? Is it just to be able to have total control?

Anyway, I go appreciate una feedback and advice well well if anyone here have experienced such before and I don't want to come out looking like I'm overreacting

P.S. By the way, my wife na oyinbo, so I just wanna gather a proper naija perspective on the matter. Thank you in advance!
Listen to your heart but do it wisely. Alot of things happens in the mid night.

It's good you are cautious. You are a good father!

1 Like

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by 1Sharon(f): 11:06pm On Oct 27, 2017
The OP says he has his reasons and I feel him

1 Like

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by obataokenwa(m): 11:13pm On Oct 27, 2017
Mudley313:

Pls fear mother in-laws when it comes to wanting a spent night.

my friend mother in law visited and told the husband that she want to go visit her sister with the daughter and my guy allowed them... later by 10pm they called that they won't be back not knowing she took the daughter that's heavily pregnant to a herbalist in another state entirely... the wife gave birth a week later and within three days, the baby died. The woman killed the baby to stay longer.

the wife later told the husband everything that happened and all the mark they did on her stomach..

Thank God the wife has given birth to another but my guy banned the mother in law from coming close to the house anymore.

Pls don't let her initiate your daughter into the unknown cos your daughter is not yet grown to tell u anything incase
Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by TemmyTee82(f): 11:23pm On Oct 27, 2017
elektra:
Oyinbo people don’t seem to see anything wrong with sleepovers. They even send their kids to non relatives for sleepover so I am not surprised that grandma wants a sleepover.
You said she can bond with your baby all through the day but not over the night, what do you feel grandma will do overnight that she can’t do during the day?

I seriously wonder.
Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by remexy(f): 11:38pm On Oct 27, 2017
Nigerians are a paranoid bunch. When we were younger some people went and spent the whole holidays at their grand parents, uncles or aunties place. No biggy. Just say you don't like your mother in law. Simply. May God not make u have grand kids who u won't have access to because ur daughter's husband feels it's not okay. I say this because you haven't given a good reason for ur bias... Manipulative in ur relationship with ur wife is different... That's her being a parent wanting what she feels is best for her daughter. Now u want to punish her for dat by putting a time limit on time spent with her grand child.

1 Like

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by RaeMystix: 11:58pm On Oct 27, 2017
So what you're trying to reveal to us is that, you feel very uncomfortable with your child having a sleep over at your mother-in laws, because she is neither married nor has a boyfriend?.
@ Op. Does your mother-in law strike you as someone who practices sexual perversion or has it being revealed to you that she is someone who might be a witch it involved on a cult?.Or better yet, a woman who uses charms?.....If none of these things I mentioned are being practiced by your mother-inlaw. Then you need to grow the hell up.

Hold up@ OP!.... Your wife's mother in law is Caucasian?. Come and see free babysitting job that this man is rejecting oooo.I wish to marry a Caucasian so that my kids could spend their weekends with their grand-ma. Is your wife a stay at home mom?. Don't you appreciate date nights or alone time with your wife?. Why don't some people like good things. cryAbeg. This man is rejecting free service.

You claim she is manipulative?....So what?....Do you think she would use your 2 plus old child against you?.Give her things to love her more than you? .
You know she can't harm your child cos she would spend the rest of her life in jail. Let her be.

You're creating more problems for yourself, because your MIL will now have leverage to manipulate your wife against you by making her think that you hate her. ( Mom-inlaw).

Think it through, before you make a mistake that will surely affect your marriage, because this event will surely come up in the future.

4 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by cococandy(f): 12:05am On Oct 28, 2017
Gender bias? Go take your meds.

Talking about gender bias did you even read your own comment? Projecting your thoughts on others.
Acidosis:

As usual, you can never make any reasonable comment without some high levels of gender bias.

I know exactly what you and your co-horts would do if you notice an extreme closeness between your MIL and your husband and same measure of closeness between your MIL and your only child of 2 years.

Grandma wants to bond with my child because she bonded with her grandmom.. What kind of excuse is that? Such can only come from a highly manipulative person.

5 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by AreaFada2: 12:06am On Oct 28, 2017
Mudley313:

My mom actually came to help when the child was first born and there was a lot of clash over house and kitchen rules and we tried our best to respect that so everyone can be happy. My dad was actually an only child also and my mom said the mistake she made was not put her foot down with her own mother in law when she needed to at the beginning until it was too late.

For those saying I'm selfish, me I know what I went through from this manipulative woman before I was able to marry here child and now that a grandchild has solidified our union more she seem to be insecure looking for a way in. This is why I asked, why night? If not for a way of looking for a way to exert back control.

I know what I've been through and my child will not be used as a pun for all that childish manipulative moves. Better to be safe than sorry. She can have her all she want during the day; weekdays or weekends. If that one nor reach, me I nor no wetin to talk put for the matter again
Dude, I can quite understand your suspicion of the manipulative MIL. Fact is many oyinbo people still find it hard seeing their children marry dudu. They can try all tricks in the book to scupper things.
But usually they become totally in love with their grandkids. That is when they become a bit mellow. I guess it helps them overcome the "pain" of their son/daughter marrying dudu.

Before someone shouts "but my oyinbo MIL/FIL totally love me", they mostly do it for their son's/daughter's happiness. Not necessarily because they love you or accept you wholeheartedly. If you have lived with them and shared a household with them you will know. I have been to weddings where the oyinbo inlaws-to-be refused to attend. Because they disapproved of the marriage. Without ever meeting the black bride/groom-to-be.

As for the visit, the child is too young. But be diplomatic. Maybe you should ensure that your wife is staying over with the little girl at her nan's. Each time. Until old enough. like 8 to 10 years old.
Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by cococandy(f): 12:07am On Oct 28, 2017
remexy:
Nigerians are a paranoid bunch. When we were younger some people went and spent the whole holidays at their grand parents, uncles or aunties place. No biggy. Just say you don't like your mother in law. Simply. May God not make u have grand kids who u won't have access to because ur daughter's husband feels it's not okay. I say this because you haven't given a good reason for ur bias... Manipulative in ur relationship with ur wife is different... That's her being a parent wanting what she feels is best for her daughter. Now u want to punish her for dat by putting a time limit on time spent with her grand child.
don’t mind him. He thinks we are idiots.
Beating around the bush without actually saying what the MIL did wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by herrdeustch: 12:34am On Oct 28, 2017
It is very important to follow your natural instincts. I perceive that something in you is not comfortable with this sleep-over happening. Follow your instincts and find a wise and diplomatic way to decline this sleep-over. You also need to evaluate what your inner-voice is telling you-is it speaking to you out of fear from what you have heard of other's experiences? or is it out of your own negative experiences? If you confirm that it is your instincts that are speaking as opposed to your fears, then by all means, don't let your daughter go for the sleep-over. However, make sure that both the grandparent and the grandchild have a healthy relationship as usual.
Mudley313:

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by openmine(m): 12:48am On Oct 28, 2017
OP Ur child is way toooo young to stay outside the presence of her parents....its a good idea to let your wife go with your daughter... Ur daughter is in a tender and fragile stage and must be protected jealously!!
Thumbs Up OP
Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by Morgan567(m): 2:17am On Oct 28, 2017
The baby's age sef seems like an android version.... 2.5...���

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by MrEgghead(m): 2:18am On Oct 28, 2017
Mudley313:

I agree
Don't ever quote me again.. wicked man..
Re: Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover by manmidtexy(m): 2:48am On Oct 28, 2017
Take it or leave it. You have already stated the solution.

She may easily initiate her during their time - Night

Female to Female thing.

Your wife may even be aware of what is going on too.

Mudley313:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

This 40-year-old Mother Of One Declared Missing (photo) / Woman From Bristol To Pay N900k For Someone To Make Decision For Her For A Month / My Wife Burnt My Boxers Because I Didn't Give Her 30k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.