Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,822 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant (22025 Views)

Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others / Nigeria To Build Nuclear Weapons, Seeks Russian Help. / Amaechi Signs Agreement With CCECC For Implementation Of Lagos/kaduna Rail Line (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Nobody: 9:39am On Oct 31, 2017
Rosskii:

Dummy, Is NigerSat 2 not in space right now? Has it not been there for over 7 years? Olodo.
Itiboribo. How does that justify the loss of Nigcomsat 1 due to poor maitenance culture?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by aribisala0(m): 9:44am On Oct 31, 2017
Blue3k:

Accident per KW of energy generated. Did you read link or just didn't understand what you read? You don't need to build calculate that statistics. Even the medicine you consume isn't even tested on 100,000 people before it's deemed safe for humans.

That kind of comparison in statistics is underpowered. The number of Kw is too small on the nuclear side to make any comparison.

If the total amount of KW produced from nuclear power is 1 and that from gas is 1000 then talking about accidents per KW is a false statistical exercise.

When they both produce 1000 or similar you can talk.

No one is saying nuclear is safe or unsafe these things are relative. The issue is your talk about statistics.
I am saying there is insufficient power and data to make that claim.There just is not enough Nuclear power generation relative to other means to be making a comparison about safety. Safety varies from country to country
so if there are issues with safety is it about the culture. Will a nuclear plant in Nigeria be as safe as one in France.Considering that 90% of power is non nuclear and that 100% of power in third world countries is Non nuclear. You need to be very careful about making claims about safety that have nothing to do with whether it is nuclear or not and more to do with national culture practices and safety expertise
Air travel is safe but this varies from country to country just like road travel too

Accidents are not the only hazards of nuclear power. What about the radiation from the plant and the waste.
What about security of installations and of nuclear material and vulnerability to attacks and theft.
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by nnokwa042(m): 9:45am On Oct 31, 2017
omoelerin1:
This govt. is about to compensate the victims of civil war with 88 billion naira, we Easterners did not reject
so we Igbo's should dance makosa abi? Do u know how much that evil man mapped out for north? About 3 trillion what is fucking 88 billion
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by HomeOfMe(f): 9:45am On Oct 31, 2017
First of all,Nigeria wants to build nuclear power plants when she's still struggling to manage power plants and refineries. Buhari should not waste money that isn't even enough. Secondly,the best place to site such a project is sambisa forest. That place is bigger than two states combined.
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Nobody: 9:48am On Oct 31, 2017
Blue3k:

Grow sense or shut up. What did I say that's incorrect? It's like saying countries are looking for alternatives to oil but are still building refineries in twour years time. Read the link instead of joining gang replying daft mentions.

Japan, France, Russia, Solvekia all have some under construction. All the ppants under construction are supposrd to come online in less than 5 years. USA has plans for some.

Are you comparing US maintenance culture with Nigeria's. You have your head in the clouds and need to face reality sometimes.
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by mctees(m): 9:48am On Oct 31, 2017
If we don't upgrade our transmission and distribution networks, its going to end us no where. If u hv enough generation capacity and these systems are nt able to handle it; system collapse is what it will lead us to.
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Duru009(m): 9:53am On Oct 31, 2017
Buhari will sit this project in the south east...

Opportunity to destroy that region.......
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Blue3k(m): 9:53am On Oct 31, 2017
igbodefender:

Are you comparing US maintenance culture with Nigeria's. You have your head in the clouds and need to face reality sometimes.

Ann other dumb mention you should have just shut up. I said exact opposite.

Blue3k:
They only issue is Nigerian factor. I have zero confidence in federal government managing the plant. 
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 31, 2017
@ aribisala Great points up there. Nigeria is not yet ready for nuclear adventurism.
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by omoelerin1: 10:06am On Oct 31, 2017
This is a welcome development. Nuclear energy is the most effective and reliable alternative source of power for Nigeria currently.
It is only the pessimists that are condemning this laudable step by the Govt.
This has been proposed years back by the administration of former president, Goodluck Jonathan.

Aside from the purpose of generating power, it will also boost the nation's image in the international arena as the nuclear power states are more respected and secure in the contemporary hostile international system. Hence, the reason for nuclear race among the super power and even the emerging power today.
More over, considering the fact that Nigeria and South Africa are the leading contenders in Africa for the permanent membership position in the United Nations Security Council, should the most powerful international organization is restructured. South Africa has nuclear power, while Nigeria does not possess same. This is one of the factors that may work against her.
Therefore, possession of nuclear energy by Nigeria is long over due.
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Nobody: 10:12am On Oct 31, 2017
Blue3k:

Ann other dumb mention you should have just shut up. I said exact opposite.

On the contrary, your inference was that since The US and other industrialized countries have nuclear power stations Nigeria should build its own.

In your emotimal state, you have forgotten (or have you?) that the maintenance culture of these countries is a 'mitigating factor'.
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by omoelerin1: 10:12am On Oct 31, 2017
nnokwa042:
so we Igbo's should dance makosa abi? Do u know how much that evil man mapped out for north? About 3 trillion what is fucking 88 billion
I thought you said you Igbo reject anything about this govt.
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Blue3k(m): 10:12am On Oct 31, 2017
aribisala0:

No one is saying nuclear is safe or unsafe these things are relative. The issue is your talk about statistics.
I am saying there is insufficient power and data to make that claim.There just is not enough Nuclear power generation relative to other means to be making a comparison about safety. Safety varies from country to country
so if there are issues with safety is it about the culture. Will a nuclear plant in Nigeria be as safe as one in France.Considering that 90% of power is non nuclear and that 100% of power in third world countries is Non nuclear. You need to be very careful about making claims about safety that have nothing to do with whether it is nuclear or not and more to do with national culture practices and safety expertise
Air travel is safe but this varies from country to country just like road travel too

Accidents are not the only hazards of nuclear power. What about the radiation from the plant and the waste.
What about security of installations and of nuclear material and vulnerability to attacks and theft.

After this long rambling you wrote up here your still wrong bease you simple didn't read the chart yourself. 90 trillion kwh is more than enough to gauge the percentage of safety. You claim that is too small is unfounded it's just a little less than wind energy for example. Besides no matter how you cut figures other sources of power are higher. You can do the math yourself. Besides there only 3 accidents people can site for this technology which why your safety argument is laughable.

You say safety varies by country for all forms of power. The chart measures is world wide so that factor is controlled. You made a straw man with maintenance culture. I already mentioned this but good job repeating me.

You air travel example also equally flaud because air travel is safer than driving factually. In order to build nuclear plant you have to plan for all those scenarios and being EIA. We have agency who's job it is to handle those things.

Blue3k:
They only issue is Nigerian factor. I have zero confidence in federal government managing the plant. 
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Originalsly: 10:14am On Oct 31, 2017
The biggest problem is old people in power...... old people whose brains are still stuck in 1970's/80's analog mode in the digital age ...living in the past. When last was a Nuclear Power Plant constructed? In maintenance conscious developed countries they are protesting to shut down these plants because of so many dangers they pose to all forms of life. Countries are pursuing solar and wind power... but no... here we are bathing in brilliant sunshine all year round and constant wind.... but we choose to go backwards. China now has hugeeeee solar farms. .... but we are not interested... not in this century. An embarrassment to Africans worldwide....and fuel for those who believe Blacks are really backward.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by RassKass: 10:16am On Oct 31, 2017
https://nsaifblog./2017/10/01/voting-polls/

Vote for miss Bakare Sandra a nairalander as "the most influential female" in her european medical schools poll through this link! Let's support one of our own Thanks
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by onyedika946(m): 10:21am On Oct 31, 2017
Paperwhite:
Misplaced priority! undecided What do Nigeria needs a nuclear plant/armament for when we can even manage the conventional but archaic weaponry at our disposal?
Where will Nigeria get money from to fund such a monumental project from considering the chronic borrowing nature of the Buhari's government?
He is busy wasting our resources prospecting for oil that no more have value in the world market in the northern region with associated wastage of precious lives by BH then now this. undecided
friend, have a sit pls.
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by EternalTruths: 10:25am On Oct 31, 2017
enemyofprogress:
are they Nigerians are they not biafrans?

Now that you agreed that they are Biafrans, why haven't you drag your hero Jibrin for attacking Kanu.
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by LordAdam16: 10:26am On Oct 31, 2017
Rosskii:

I know there is at least one at the Ahmadu Bello University in Kaduna State.

Dumbo.

The reactor in ABU is a research reactor. Very similar to the research reactors in South Africa that produce radioisotopes used in nuclear medicine (I'd know because it was part of semester work in school).

It is very different in size, complexity, and risk from power reactors.

Moreover, we have only one research reactor in the country. The government intended to have two and they started planning in 1977. Took them 20+ years to set up the first. 20+ bloody years. Someone somewhere is sitting on the one that's supposed to be set up in OAU.

Is it this lackadaisical attitude that you'd have confidence in to effectively manage a nuclear plant?

I'd only accept it if South Africans man it full-time for the first two decade with Nigerian scientists assisting in management. And then the SAs are phased off gradually.

-Lord

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by baysol: 10:27am On Oct 31, 2017
Rosskii:
Russia Signs Agreement With Nigeria to Build Nuclear Power Plant

By Paul Burkhardt

October 30, 2017, 4:30 PM GMT

Bloomberg

Russia has signed agreements with Nigeria to build and operate a nuclear power plant in the oil-rich West African nation that has a deficit of reliable power and faces security challenges by Islamist militants in the far northeast.

Feasibility studies for the plant and a research center construction will include site screening, capacity, financing, and time frames of the projects, state-owned Russian nuclear company Rosatom said in an emailed statement.

The nations in 2009 signed an intergovernmental agreement on cooperation in the field of the peaceful usage of nuclear technologies. Nigeria in 2015 was in talks with Rosatom to build as many as four nuclear power plants costing about $20 billion, the Nigeria Atomic Energy Commission said at the time.

Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation, distributes an average of 4,500 megawatts of electricity. Half the output of the Egbin power plant, the nation’s biggest, is lost because of inadequate transmission infrastructure, its chief officer said last month.

Rosatom is seeking to build nuclear power plants in other countries on the continent including South Africa.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-30/russia-signs-agreement-with-nigeria-to-build-nuclear-power-plant

...and why was it enshrouded in so much secrecy? Where in Nigeria were they to be built. This is one of the evil northern agenda being plotted and being hatched in this wicked buhari regime our school cert failed president.
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by nnokwa042(m): 10:27am On Oct 31, 2017
omoelerin1:
I thought you said you Igbo reject anything about this govt.
I thought u said Lagos is richer than Switzerland that they also ve oil that Lagos don't need oil money

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 31, 2017
@ Blue3k
You are one of the soundest economic analysts on Nairaland and most times, I enjoy reading your analysis which I often find very informative.

But I disagree with you on the issues of open grazing and nuclear power.
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by LordAdam16: 10:28am On Oct 31, 2017
omoelerin1:
This is a welcome development. Nuclear energy is the most effective and reliable alternative source of power for Nigeria currently.
It is only the pessimists that are condemning this laudable step by the Govt.
This has been proposed years back by the administration of former president, Goodluck Jonathan.

Aside from the purpose of generating power, it will also boost the nation's image in the international arena as the nuclear power states are more respected and secure in the contemporary hostile international system. Hence, the reason for nuclear race among the super power and even the emerging power today.
More over, considering the fact that Nigeria and South Africa are the leading contenders in Africa for the permanent membership position in the United Nations Security Council, should the most powerful international organization is restructured. South Africa has nuclear power, while Nigeria does not possess same. This is one of the factors that may work against her.
Therefore, possession of nuclear energy by Nigeria is long over due.

No, it was proposed by Yar'Adua. And there's a reason why the GEJ administration dragged its feet.

Moreover the cost is an average of $5b per power plant. And this is not China but Russia, how's the payment plan.

I'd feel better if this becomes like one of those projects that they plan on starting but never start.

-Lord

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by baysol: 10:28am On Oct 31, 2017
...and why was it enshrouded in so much secrecy? Where in Nigeria were they to be built. This is one of the evil northern agenda being plotted and being hatched in this wicked buhari regime our school cert failed president.
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by aribisala0(m): 10:30am On Oct 31, 2017
Blue3k:

After this long rambling you wrote up here your still wrong bease you simple didn't read the chart yourself. 90 trillion kwh is more than enough to gauge the percentage of safety. You claim that is too small is unfounded it's just a little less than wind energy for example. Besides no matter how you cut figures other sources of power are higher. You can do the math yourself. Besides there only 3 accidents people can site for this technology which why your safety argument is laughable.

You say safety varies by country for all forms of power. The chart measures is world wide so that factor is controlled. You made a straw man with maintenance culture. I already mentioned this but good job repeating me.

You air travel example also equally flaud because air travel is safer than driving factually. In order to build nuclear plant you have to plan for all those scenarios and being EIA. We have agency who's job it is to handle those things.

I don't need to called your argument rambling or laughable ,that is weakness .I just do not agree. With you. Simple. There is not enough power to make a comparison and there is not enough logic to determine that an absence of accidents is due to the safety of nuclear generation compared to other means

Like i said nuclear power is generated a very very tiny number of countries e.g in Africa maybe one or two. Worldwide it is concentrated in very few countries with a lot of resources and expertise. Other methods are proliferated everywhere and any safety discrepancy cannot be attributed to whether it is nuclear or not but the prevalence.
The isue is would it be as safe if it was as widespread(That is the statistical point)

So STATISTICALLY as you call it there is a greater chance of an accident because there are more events.
A woman is more likely to have a miscarriage if she is premenopausal that does not mean post menopausal sex is safer.That is upside down logic

The same applies to air traffic. There are a very tiny number of events.

for every air journey there are thousands if not tens of thousands of car journeys so statistically there are greater chances of a car accident. This is not the same as saying air travel is safer .That is a misapprehension of statistics.
If there were only two cars in a country there likely will be fewer accidents i like to believe

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by LordAdam16: 10:38am On Oct 31, 2017
baysol:

Akwa Ibom and Kogi from some people in the know.

-Lord
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by omoelerin1: 10:38am On Oct 31, 2017
nnokwa042:
I thought u said Lagos is richer than Switzerland that they also ve oil that Lagos don't need oil money
Despite all that Lagos was even ask for special attention from the federal govt. and 13% oil derivative allocation. We know how to play our politics well, we are not a confused people like those in other side.
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Amhappy(f): 10:39am On Oct 31, 2017
Mr President just instruct them to concentrate the projects at the North as usual. Thank you.
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by kunlesmiles(m): 10:42am On Oct 31, 2017
[url][/url]
Blue3k:
Interesting they finally got this deal done. I've been hearing talks for years. Now who wants it in their state? I remember they wanted to site it in Akwa Ibom but it was resisted. Nuclear power statistically is safest form of power if you are diligent about maintenance. Next we don't have natural disasters. They only issue is Nigerian factor. I have zero confidence in federal government managing the plant.

What I would like to see is a study on feasibility of thorium salt reactor. I read its safer than uranium reactor and can't be used to make nuclear bombs.

Front Page: Lalasticlala
let's not get too over-excite,for all d talk of it been safe,it is still radioactive in nature,sticking with d green source of energy(solar,wind water),is beta for us in nigeria,considering our level of carelessness
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by Blue3k(m): 10:46am On Oct 31, 2017
igbodefender:
@ Blue3k
You are one of the soundest economic analysts on Nairaland and most times, I enjoy reading your analysis which I often find very informative.

But I disagree with you on the issues of open grazing and nuclear power.

Cool with me. The Nigerian factor is what is on everyone's mind in regards to nuclear power. That's why I brought up thorium. Thorium doesn't melt down the same was Uranium would because it's furtile instead of fissionable. The storage will also be easier than uranium.

The open grazing issue lots of people disagree. That's why it's better as state issue. Edo had chance to ban open grazing the declined and the people of that state aren't complaining.
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by ottohan: 10:46am On Oct 31, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
Another of your dumb theory because you are still in your adolescent age which makes you to grow aggressive when you meet someone of the opposite sex.

Drink water and face your books because people like you end up wandering the streets after school because they read
up the whole white man ttheories forgetting they are Nigerians
LOL grin grin
Nairaland no go kill meee ooohh!!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by NovusHomo(m): 10:48am On Oct 31, 2017
ReubenE:
This toxic President......we are yet to distribute to full capacity the one we produce now.
He should site them in his sitting room before militants and their likes threaten to blow them up....

This Buhari just like hazard

The nations in 2009 signed an intergovernmental agreement on cooperation in the field of the peaceful usage of nuclear technologies. Nigeria in 2015 was in talks with Rosatom to build as many as four nuclear power plants costing about $20 billion, the Nigeria Atomic Energy Commission said at the time.
Re: Nigeria Signs Agreement With Russia To Build Nuclear Power Plant by ottohan: 10:53am On Oct 31, 2017
Alariiwo:

Anambra or Imo would be best to situate such plant.

Other areas are too congested to gamble with such.
everyone is entitled to his opinion however senseless it may seem
What makes you think dat Anambra and Imo are sparsely populated?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lekki Shooting: We Wouldn't Do Anything Differently - Brigadier-General Taiwo / Tinubu’s Men Plot Obi’s Fall In South-west / Peter Obi Supporters In Zango Village, Bauchi On Grassroot Sensitization (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.