Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) (4037 Views)

Stand Up And Be Counted. Say No To Xenophobia, Hate Speech And Tribalism Today / APC Loses Six Rep Seats In Lagos As Igbo Political Clout Grows. / Jonathan’s Planned Adoption As Igbo Candidate Divides Ohanaeze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by Onlytruth(m): 8:47am On Mar 19, 2010
SEFAGO:

haha, olodo one kobo- go and check the definition of race. Igbo is at most an thnic group- a pseudoethnic group  for that matter

oloshi igbo, its people like you all that make white people think blacks have low IQs. Before you know it, the US will release a report on the difficulty of Nigerians in following simple bleeping instructions.

Goodnite, I have to get ready for church tomorrow.

Encouraging stupidity is not a good thing

I don't blame you for your low IQ, you attend 7 day Adventist church. What more can I say. cry
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by ihop: 8:51am On Mar 19, 2010
venue plzzzzzzzzzz tongue
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by biina: 8:54am On Mar 19, 2010
@OP
Your post is misleading.
You can check multiple boxes in question #9 only if you are multi-racial (i.e. have parents from different races). Being Igbo and 'Black, African American, or Negro' does not qualify, as the former is a subset of the latter. If you feel so strongly that 'Igbo' should be recognized as a race, please feel free to check 'other' and fill in the text,  but asking people to check both boxes will only make them appear as semi illiterates who dont know the definition of 'race'.
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by Onlytruth(m): 8:59am On Mar 19, 2010
biina:

@OP
Your post is misleading.
You can check multiple boxes in question #9 only if you are multi-racial (i.e. have parents from different races). Being Igbo and 'Black, African American, or Negro' does not qualify, as the former is a subset of the latter. If you feel so strongly that 'Igbo' should be recognized as a race, please feel free to check 'other' and fill in the text,  but asking people to check both boxes will only make them appear as semi illiterates who dont know the definition of 'race'.

If you must know, people actually asked questions from the census bureau and were instructed as posted. I don't know why Nigerians are so malicious. Why not do as you are advising here? Go ahead and take your own advise (if you are in the US), else leave us alone.
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by Onlytruth(m): 9:01am On Mar 19, 2010
Census here is a transparent process and you can make inquiries from the Census Bureau and obtain the right instructions. This is NOT Nigeria. The exercise is VERY OPEN here. No counting of cows involved!
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by biina: 9:18am On Mar 19, 2010
You are free to fill your form however you wish, just dont mislead others. An Igbo man is a black man.
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by FACE(m): 9:23am On Mar 19, 2010
All those saying that Igbo is not a race should get some education. The word "RACE" has various definitions including:

1.a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.
2.a population so related.
3.Anthropology.
a.any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the Caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics: no longer in technical use.
b.an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, esp. formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.
c.a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.
4.a group of tribes or peoples forming an ethnic stock: the Slavic race.
5.any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.: the Dutch race. (dictionary.com)

Igbo can't be classified as a race in US census but an ethnic minority, not because Igbo is not a race but because of the context in which "RACE" is used in US census.

Some of you fellas dash off to google to become experts in business, electricity, nuclear weapons, religion and everything under the sun but would not even know the simplest of things or consult google as usual because you think you know.

Ignorance is not really a problem but the refusal to learn, accept corrections and sticking to a position regardless of facts is simply pathetic.
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by biina: 10:05am On Mar 19, 2010
FACE:

All those saying that Igbo is not a race should get some education. The word "RACE" has various definitions including:

1.a group of persons related by common descent or heredity
2.a population so related
3.Anthropology.
a.any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the Caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics: no longer in technical use.
b.an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, esp. formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.
c.a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.
4.a group of tribes or peoples forming an ethnic stock: the Slavic race.
5.any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.: the Dutch race.  (dictionary.com)

Igbo can't be classified as a race in US census but an ethnic minority, not because Igbo is not a race but because of the context in which "RACE" is used in US census.

Some of you fellas dash off to google to become experts in business, electricity, nuclear weapons, religion and everything under the sun but would not even know the simplest of things or consult google as usual because you think you know.

Ignorance is not really a problem but the refusal to learn, accept corrections and sticking to a position regardless of facts is simply pathetic.
and this topic is about the Tanzanian elections? undecided
If you know the context of this thread is the US census 2010, why are you then bringing in extraneous definitions.
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by chosen04(f): 10:14am On Mar 19, 2010
biina:

and this topic is about the Tanzanian elections? undecided
If you know the context of this thread is the US census 2010, why are you then bringing in extraneous definitions.

Your inability to reason is appalling. No matter your motivations.

texazzpete:

No matter your motivations, 'Igbo' is not a race!

Unlike Nigeria, English is not the dominant language of communication in Eritrea or Samoa.
Is speaking English that painful for your parents? And if they struggle with English, why let them go unattended without someone acting as a translator?
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by texazzpete(m): 10:19am On Mar 19, 2010
chosen04:

What reason?

Even your JSS3 social studies textbook would have told you that 'Igbo' is not a race!
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by RichyBlacK(m): 10:20am On Mar 19, 2010
biina:

@OP
Your post is misleading.

biina,

I think you should recheck your facts. There is no such restrictions in answering question 9 on the form that only allows those who are "multi-racial" to cross more than one box.

The guidelines being followed by Ndi-Igbo in the US is fine and everyone of them will be counted as being black and Igbo.

The risk that the census form of a household or an individual will be discarded for crossing more than one box, even when it's stated on the form that "one or more boxes" can be crossed, is zero.

This exercise is an important one and I hope every Igbo son and daughter will comply.
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by SEFAGO(m): 10:23am On Mar 19, 2010
Igbo is not a race period. Anyone with the most minimal of IQs knows this  grin

texazzpete:

What reason?

Even your JSS3 social studies textbook would have told you that 'Igbo' is not a race!

ssuming these people read up to JSS 3

There are approximatelt over 200 races in Nigeria. God knows how many races there are in tribal africa
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by RichyBlacK(m): 10:31am On Mar 19, 2010
The English dictionary doesn't only come in handy when looking up words in the finals of the Spelling Bee. Thank you.

Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/race

Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by RichyBlacK(m): 10:35am On Mar 19, 2010
So, the bases for race are:

1. Common history
2. Nationality
3. Geographic distribution

Ndi-Igbo share a common history. Are we going to debate that?
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by gidson12(m): 10:47am On Mar 19, 2010
thank u richyblack
now i understand better the definition of race, i thought it was only the skin colour
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by RichyBlacK(m): 10:50am On Mar 19, 2010
gidson12:

thank u richyblack
now i understand better the definition of race, i thought it was only the skin colour

@gidson12,

You're welcome.
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by biina: 11:48am On Mar 19, 2010
RichyBlacK:

biina,

I think you should recheck your facts. There is no such restrictions in answering question 9 on the form that only allows those who are "multi-racial" to cross more than one box.

The guidelines being followed by Ndi-Igbo in the US is fine and everyone of them will be counted as being black and Igbo.

The risk that the census form of a household or an individual will be discarded for crossing more than one box, even when it's stated on the form that "one or more boxes" can be crossed, is zero.

This exercise is an important one and I hope every Igbo son and daughter will comply.

You have only one race unless you are multi-racial. If you check two boxes, means you belong to two different races - they are not subsets of each other. Are all Igbos multiracial? undecided
Yet you are asking them to claim to be multiracial when they are not.
What next I am white but also of the french race? undecided
I am Chinese and Han Chinese? undecided
I am Asian Indian and Dravidian?  undecided
Please feel free to feed the ignorance.
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by FACE(m): 11:51am On Mar 19, 2010
Richy, thanx for providing the dictionary definitions of race again but some people would rather die in ignorance than accept correction.

"The blind stares with a million pair of eyes but will never see" --- Tupac  cool

chosen04:

I couldn't have said that better. Like I said in the past, some people resort to google to argue about everything under the sun (from electricity to solar energy to making gari) even when they are talking rubbish, but the simple things in life elude their comprehension.
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by chic2pimp(m): 11:55am On Mar 19, 2010
biina:

You have only one race unless you are multi-racial. If you check two boxes, means you belong to two different races - they are not subsets of each other. Are all Igbos multiracial? undecided
I am Asian Indian and Dravidian?
undecided
Please feel free to feed the ignorance.
Hehehehehe grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by biina: 11:56am On Mar 19, 2010
chosen04:

and you must be the great scholar that thinks his/her family are a race of their own  undecided
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by biina: 12:01pm On Mar 19, 2010
FACE:

Richy, thanx for providing the dictionary definitions of race again but some people would rather die in ignorance than accept correction.

"The blind stares with a million pair of eyes but will never see" --- Tupac  cool

I couldn't have said that better. Like I said in the past, some people resort to google to argue about everything under the sun (from electricity to solar energy to making gari) even when they are talking rubbish, but the simple things in life elude their comprehension.
and some people dont know what it means to make a reasonable argument within context.
Going about dragging definitions of race does not change the context of the debate, and under that context (like you admitted), 'Igbo' is not a race!
In a different context, feel free to define yourself as race of your own. undecided
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by FACE(m): 1:13pm On Mar 19, 2010
biina:

and some people dont know what it means to make a reasonable argument within context.
Going about dragging definitions of race does not change the context of the debate, and under that context (like you admitted), 'Igbo' is not a race!
In a different context, feel free to define yourself as race of your own. undecided

I never said that Igbo was not a race. I said that Igbo would be classified as an ethnic group (interchangeable with race) under US demographic classifications. I only sought to correct those people ( yourself included) who made a bold statement that Igbo was not a race "regardless of the intentions" as someone put it.

biina:

but asking people to check both boxes will only make them appear as semi illiterates who dont know the definition of 'race'.

biina:

and you must be the great scholar that thinks his/her family are a race of their own undecided

You did not know that Igbo was a race regardless of the context until today, why don't you admit ? I bet you wish you consulted google before your gaffe. The posts above show that context was not an issue with you when you made your statements.

I know you are quite energetic when it comes to making long post, even when you don't understand what you are talking about, but I am not going to be sucked into that. Bye Bye.
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by nduchucks: 2:17pm On Mar 19, 2010
This suggestion is in the best interest of Igbo residents in the USA for obvious reasons. It is also legitimate because according to the census bureau, people may have chosen to provide two or more races either by checking two or more race response check boxes, by providing multiple write-in responses, or by some combination of check boxes and write-in responses.

However, one would have thought a campaign to write-in "Nigerian" as a race would have served us better in the long run. Numbers matter.
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by Onlytruth(m): 4:29pm On Mar 19, 2010
ndu_chucks:

This suggestion is in the best interest of Igbo residents in the USA for obvious reasons. It is also legitimate because according to the census bureau, people may have chosen to provide two or more races either by checking two or more race response check boxes, by providing multiple write-in responses, or by some combination of check boxes and write-in responses.

Thank you for the above. This is the second time you've said the truth while commenting on my thread. tongue tongue

However, one would have thought a campaign to write-in "Nigerian" as a race would have served us better in the long run. Numbers matter.

Ol'boy you don start again o.
We are talking of the US census here. I don't know whether you've been to the US before, but information is GOLDEN here for planning. This census happens every 10 years. A Vietnamese goes to the hospital and gets attended to by nurses who speak Vietnamese. Why not speak french to them? Meanwhile they may even be less in number than Ndigbo. Nigeria is not even classified as one of the "English speaking countries" of note per se. In Africa, only South Africa qualifies for that in exams where English as first language is considered. English is a SECOND Language among Nigerians though the official language.
This is about proper representation in public administration. If you stand up, you will be counted in the US. That is why the announcer called it an "Onye kwe chi ya ekwe" moment.
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by nduchucks: 4:43pm On Mar 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

Thank you for the above. This is the second time you've said the truth while commenting on my thread. tongue tongue

I've always spoken truthfully if you pay attention to what I write. The fact that my perspective may be different attimes does not mean that the relevant statement is a lie. If I make a factual error and I'm corrected, I will stand corrected.

Onlytruth:

Ol'boy you don start again o.
We are talking of the US census here. I don't know whether you've been to the US before, but information is GOLDEN here for planning. This census happens every 10 years. A Vietnamese goes to the hospital and gets attended to by nurses who speak Vietnamese. Why not speak french to them? Meanwhile they may even be less in number than Ndigbo. Nigeria is not even classified as one of the "English speaking countries" of note per se. In Africa, only South Africa qualifies for that in exams where English as first language is considered. English is a SECOND Language among Nigerians though the official language.
This is about proper representation in public administration. If you stand up, you will be counted in the US. That is why the announcer called it an "Onye kwe chi ya ekwe" moment.

I still maintain that an interest group consisting of all Nigerians in the USA will be more effective than that consisting of one tribe, all things being equal. Standing up as one (Nigerian) will get you more clout in the USA than what you are indirectly promoting.
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by chosen04(f): 4:48pm On Mar 19, 2010
FACE:

I never said that Igbo was not a race. I said that Igbo would be classified as an ethnic group (interchangeable with race) under US demographic classifications. I only sought to correct those people ( yourself included) who made a bold statement that Igbo was not a race "regardless of the intentions" as someone put it.

You did not know that Igbo was a race regardless of the context until today, why don't you admit ? I bet you wish you consulted google before your gaffe. The posts above show that context was not an issue with you when you made your statements.

Face

You said it all. Remain Blessed.

biina:

and you must be the great scholar that thinks his/her family are a race of their own  undecided

You are used to spewing trash: See below

biina:

I am Asian Indian and Dravidian?  undecided

The RANTING of a confused fellow. Were you trying to define confusion?
@house, What is this fellow trying so hard to explain?
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by Onlytruth(m): 4:55pm On Mar 19, 2010
ndu_chucks:

I've always spoken truthfully if you pay attention to what I write. The fact that my perspective may be different attimes does not mean that the relevant statement is a lie.  If I make a factual error and I'm corrected, I will stand corrected.

I still maintain that an interest group consisting of all Nigerians in the USA will be more effective than that consisting of one tribe, all things being equal. Standing up as one (Nigerian) will get you more clout in the USA than what you are indirectly promoting.

There is no "Nigerian" language out there. This is part of the idiotic mistakes of our founding fathers. They should have thought of that before lobbing us into this contraption of nationhood. If we wanted to be a nation, we should have adopted one African language, I don't care if it is Swahili. What we have is a situation where we have English as official language in Nigeria, but we don't speak it well enough to qualify as first language. It is a second language in practical terms. So we end up cheating ourselves. Numbers is not always the only advantage, sometimes it can even be a disadvantage. I better be well represented as a tiny minority, than not represented at all as a huge minority.
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by SEFAGO(m): 4:55pm On Mar 19, 2010
LOL a buncha low IQ retards  grin

Race interchangeable with ethnic group  grin, that what happens when European political correctness on discussing begins to mix s.h.it up and make semantics difficult.

One low IQ retard brought definitions of race from the dictionary, not considering the overwhelming importance of context. Race as it is used in the census has nothing to do with the definitions most of you are pointing too.

Anyways goodluck to y'all guys wallow in ignorance forever, its your prerogative
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by Onlytruth(m): 4:58pm On Mar 19, 2010
SEFAGO:

LOL a buncha low IQ retards  grin

Race interchangeable with ethnic group  grin, that what happens when European political correctness on discussing begins to mix s.h.it up and make semantics difficult.

One low IQ retard brought definitions of race from the dictionary, not considering the overwhelming importance of context. Race as it is used in the census has nothing to do with the definitions most of you are pointing too.

Anyways goodluck to y'all guys wallow in ignorance forever, its your prerogative

Thank you retard! And please move on and leave us alone! I don't know why this is eating you guys up so much. It does not concern your folks. The message is for NDIGBO.  cool
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by FACE(m): 5:23pm On Mar 19, 2010
haha, olodo one kobo- go and check the definition of race. Igbo is at most an thnic group- a pseudoethnic group for that matter

oloshi igbo, its people like you all that make white people think blacks have low IQs. Before you know it, the US will release a report on the difficulty of Nigerians in following simple bleeping instructions.

Goodnite, I have to get ready for church tomorrow.
SEFAGO:

Igbo is not a race period. Anyone with the most minimal of IQs knows this  grin

ssuming these people read up to JSS 3

There are approximatelt over 200 races in Nigeria. God knows how many races there are in tribal africa
SEFAGO:

LOL a buncha low IQ retards  grin

Race interchangeable with ethnic group  grin, that what happens when European political correctness on discussing begins to mix s.h.it up and make semantics difficult.

I have seen your previous post here, which are full of infantile rants and I am going to descend to your level just this once.

Take a look at your posts above and if you had any IQ at all, you would recoil back in shame for your statements were stand-alone, absolute and without any reference to context.

You talk about context, a lifeline, which I gave you when I provided the various definitions of "race"  in a bid to educate you and your cohorts. If you are so thickheaded that you cannot accept definitions from a dictionary, then I 'm afraid that you will come out of college/university still an empty barrel.
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by Nobody: 6:31pm On Mar 19, 2010
biina:

the master tribe is a race o - a race of their own - the hybrid/true jews cheesy
Re: Be Counted As Igbo In The U S 2010 Census Now On-going (deadline Is April 1) by Nobody: 6:36pm On Mar 19, 2010
@OnlyTruth

Okies dokiz, dear.
I got what you're saying now wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

And Who Said Southeast Is Not Beautiful, You May Want To Have A Rethink-pics / Naija / Nnamdi Kanu Having Lunch With His Wife, Friends And Kids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.