Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,213 members, 7,867,523 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 05:43 PM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (523) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4470306 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (520) (521) (522) (523) (524) (525) (526) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 5:01pm On Jul 17, 2013
Msauza:

Damn!! This freak. Unfortunately, I am a middle class and I don't get to attend those clubs that play that kind of music. I am more into techno and SA deep house music.

And your type are usually found gyrating to your music genre in your Soweto Shebeens!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 5:03pm On Jul 17, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

Your 33% brain is about to fail you again! Strip the Apple computer of its logo and exterior brand design elements and tell me if you'll still recognize the product. All you'll see will be the core of the embedded hardware peripherals, chips, circuit UIs, etc., with other (rival) brandnames including IBM, Samsung, Motorola, to name a few! You cannot confuse Apple's brand IP with it's product IP. The both are exclusive to themselves!!

You need to go wrap your head around IP and branding issues if you really want to hold this debate with me. Right now I'll allow you to go remedy yourself and not waste my precious time. Your Rooivalk helos are not wholly South African!! Period!!

Don't be an id*ot. That an apple product stripped is unrecognisable is irrelevant. Which product on earth is recognisable stripped? You are agreeing with me, but you are being an id*t about the thing. I'm the first person who argued here that apple receives parts from companies like Samsung. Those are mere B2B suppliers. BMW receives technology from other companies. Volvo receives engine technology from other companies. Sony received technology from other companies. Everyone supplies everyone parts.

That said, the Apple remains an American product.. If you don't deny the red you don't have a point and are just ranting.

Oh by the way, you are the one who responded to my post. I didn't ask to debate with you. You on the other hand, clearly wish to debate... grin That's why you're going off on a tangent? You need attention?

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 5:11pm On Jul 17, 2013
CraigB:

Don't be an id*ot. That an apple product stripped is unrecognisable is irrelevant. Which product on earth is recognisable stripped? You are agreeing with me, but you are being an id*t about the thing. I'm the first person who argued here that apple receives parts from companies like Samsung. Those are mere B2B suppliers. BMW receives technology from other companies. Volvo receives engine technology from other companies. Sony received technology from other companies. Everyone supplies everyone parts.

That said, the Apple remains an American product.. If you don't deny the red you don't have a point and are just ranting.

When you get squarely put in your place ... you begin to demonstrate oral irritation causing you to itch and foam rabidly in the mouth! Like I said ... remedy yourself or just carry on with your 33% brain capacity! Your next reaction is predictable ... try yourself again!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 5:16pm On Jul 17, 2013
souldust: lets give it to them. They have it! However, just as the Americans went ahead of the soviets for the first time in space race by puting a man on the moon, we will overtake SA very soon in that area. I am not advocating for unhealthy competition here.

Y'all can google the story about GEJ planning to put a man in space by 2015.

Btw, i think its time we stoped associating the word "Africa" with black only.

One South African is the first African to be in space. Sorry that position has been taken already.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 5:17pm On Jul 17, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

When you get squarely put in your place ... you begin to demonstrate oral irritation causing you to itch and foam rabidly in the mouth! Like I said ... remedy yourself or just carry on with your 33% brain capacity! Your next reaction is predictable ... try yourself again!

You wish. You are just upset that I'm not wanting to debate rubb*ish. You don't even know what is being debated. i.e. That the Rooivalk is South African regardless of where the engine comes from. You are just looking for attention and you won't get that kind of attention from me.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 5:18pm On Jul 17, 2013
saengine:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/space/rockets/4315103

Rocket Record: The Largest, Heaviest Amateur Rocket Ever Launched

Rocket Record: The Largest, Heaviest Amateur Rocket Ever Launched - Popular Mechanics

Steve Eves broke two world records Saturday, when his 1/10th scale model of the historic rocket—built in his garage near Akron, Ohio—lifted off from a field on Maryland's Eastern Shore. The 36-ft.-tall rocket was the largest amateur rocket ever launched and recovered successfully—and at 1648 pounds, also the heaviest. Eves' single-stage behemoth was powered by nine motors—eight 13,000 Newton-second N-Class motors and a 77,000 Newton-second P-Class motor. (Five Newton-seconds is equivalent to about a pound of thrust.) All told, the array generated enough force to chuck a Volkswagen more than a half-mile—and sent the Saturn V more than 4440 feet straight up. It was arguably the most audacious display of raw power ever generated by an amateur rocket.

Have you been sufficiently embarrassed?

No, I am not embarrassed at all, you really messed up with the above post, Nevada is in America and I live in America...your interpretation of that rocket launch is very wrong. I will write you along post to teach you how American society operates. I am at work now I will come and show you your error after I get home from work....you really fumbled grin grin

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 5:19pm On Jul 17, 2013
Who was celebrating a useless ceasefire again? grin grin grin

________

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-13/nigeria-s-boko-haram-denies-cease-fire.html

Boko Haram Denies Cease-Fire With Nigerian Government

The leader of the Nigerian Islamist militant group Boko Haram denied that it entered into a cease-fire agreement with the government and endorsed an attack last week on a school in northeast Yobe state.

_________

The great Naai-gerian military has failed to crush B Ha*am and has instead, resorted to claiming useless ceasefires grin grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 5:31pm On Jul 17, 2013
Beeeg deployment of soldiers and jets. There pops up Abubakar. Alive and happy as a daisy.

Naa-geria says they'll save Mali, but Naai-geria can't save itself undecided

______

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/13/nigeria-boko-haram-schools_n_3591457.html

Nigerian Boko Haram Leader Abubakar Shekau Threatens Group Will Burn More Schools

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 5:39pm On Jul 17, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

That 33% is will score 80% when converted into Nigerian qualifications framework. Our exams are not just a walk on the park. I have schooled with many Nigerians who failed to score that 33% in SA education system. Bwahahahahaha!!!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 5:55pm On Jul 17, 2013
Msauza:

That 33% is will score 80% when converted into Nigerian qualifications framework. Our exams are not just a walk on the park. I have schooled with many Nigerians who failed to score that 33% in SA education system. Bwahahahahaha!!!

Bwahahahaha indeed.

Look at this:

University of Machester:

Nigeria - Entry requirements - General requirements for undergraduate courses
Students who have completed the SSCE are normally required to complete a foundation course or A Levels before entering onto the first year of a three-year bachelors degree.

University of Edinburg:
We welcome applications from students from Nigeria.

Applicants with the either the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) or the Nigerian Examinations Council (NECO) Senior School Certificate will usually be required to complete a foundation year.
In addition all applicants are required to demonstrate proficiency in English language, holding one of the accepted qualifications listed.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

University of Machester:

South Africa - Entry requirements

General requirements for undergraduate courses

Five passes at one sitting in the National Senior Certificate are considered to be suitable for direct entry to undergraduate study. grin grin

grin grin No further words necessary.

6 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by saengine: 6:19pm On Jul 17, 2013
agaugust:

No, I am not embarrassed at all, you really messed up with the above post, Nevada is in America and I live in America...your interpretation of that rocket launch is very wrong. I will write you along post to teach you how American society operates. I am at work now I will come and show you your error after I get home from work....you really fumbled grin grin

I posted 4 links about amateur rocket launches. So when you come back you'll tell me how i messed up in ALL of them. Not just one. Otherwise you have been embarrased. And when you come back also make a public shameful apology for stating Egypt still produces Swingfire missiles.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 6:51pm On Jul 17, 2013
Msauza:

Go play with your mates! Wishful South African who can't get over the failure of your kith and kin in academic brain matters. You can force a horse to the stream but can't force it to drink from it. You can drag a typical South African to school but you cannot force him/her to score above 33%. You can lower pass marks to 33% but your dull heads cannot be forced to pass! You produce local blockheads ... Nigeria produces international eggheads! South Africa's 33% if converted in Nigeria is less than a woeful 10% FAIL!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by BCraig: 7:16pm On Jul 17, 2013
98% failure rate. Very clever, Nigeria.

Says he:

"You can leave Nigeria and say that you don't care about Nigeria's education system. cool, but one day, your children will have to come back to Nigeria, because they can never be anything more than second-class citizens where they are."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gEWJm6DZL60#at=193

- No further words necessary.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jul 17, 2013
Msauza:

Damn!! This freak. Unfortunately, I am a middle class and I don't get to attend those clubs that play that kind of music. I am more into techno and SA deep house music.
you mean the Abuja based techno? See what i mean? You eat naija, drink naija, sing naija, dance naija, read naija...and you are on to a naija forum for crying out loud!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 7:31pm On Jul 17, 2013
souldust: you mean the Abuja based techno? See what i mean? You eat naija, drink naija, sing naija, dance naija, read naija...and you are on to a naija forum for crying out loud!

Helo! I mean SA based techno. Since when do Nigerians know anything about House Music. For your info I do not even eat Nigerian food nor even listen to their music.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jul 17, 2013
BCraig: 98% failure rate. Very clever, Nigeria.

Says he:

"You can leave Nigeria and say that you don't care about Nigeria's education system. cool, but one day, your children will have to come back to Nigeria, because they can never be anything more than second-class citizens where they are."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gEWJm6DZL60#at=193

- No further words necessary.
you guys were once here in our unis we gave you scholarships etc. This was at the time andrewza accused you of being criminal becos you were born black!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by BCraig: 7:37pm On Jul 17, 2013
Msauza:

Since when do Nigerians know anything about House Music

grin grin grin grin

These guys and their Okonkwo tendencies. SMH
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 7:37pm On Jul 17, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

Go play with your mates! Wishful South African who can't get over the failure of your kith and kin in academic brain matters. You can force a horse to the stream but can't force it to drink from it. You can drag a typical South African to school but you cannot force him/her to score above 33%. You can lower pass marks to 33% but your dull heads cannot be forced to pass! You produce local blockheads ... Nigeria produces international eggheads! South Africa's 33% if converted in Nigeria is less than a woeful 10% FAIL!

SA based education is so high that it is even on par with Cambridge A+. Many Nigerian have even confessed to me that the standard of education in SA is so high as compared to that of Nigeria. Just bring your A grade qualifications from Nigeria to see how our NQF system is going to downgrade it to the lowest, you may even be asked to bridge before you can be formally admitted to study in our tertiary institutions.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by BCraig: 7:39pm On Jul 17, 2013
souldust: you guys were once here in our unis we gave you scholarships etc. This was at the time andrewza accused you of being criminal becos you were born black!

First of all, I'm not black and I don't care to talk about race.

Secondly, the fact that South Africans were in your Universities doesn't mean that your universities are now worth writing home about. They aren't. Your smartest people go to college in other countries. Go figure.

98% failure rate! shocked

Only two out of 100 pass. And you still need to bridge when you apply to study in the UK. SMH. No..weeping cry
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jul 17, 2013
Msauza:
Helo! I mean SA based techno. Since when do Nigerians know anything about House Music. For your info I do not even eat Nigerian for nor even listen to their music.
you dont listen to it becos you are angry that we are culturally present in SA. That we are invading SA with cultural imperialism is one thing you cannot swallow.

As a result of your not listening to Naija music, there is a deficiency showing in you. You can see you are proving me right when i said: "A man is the first victim of his jealousy"
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by BCraig: 7:47pm On Jul 17, 2013
souldust: you dont listen to it becos you are angry that we are culturally present in SA. That we are invading SA with cultural imperialism is one thing you cannot swallow.

As a result of your not listening to Naija music, there is a deficiency showing in you. You can see you are proving me right when i said: "A man is the first victim of his jealousy"

Always trust a Naai-gerian to boast about nothing.

Culturally present, are you?

Is that why Naai-gerians are crying? That's because you're present? Where are you present? In Hillbrow?

____

SA ripping Nigeria off

24 June 2013, 20:29
I had the misfortune of walking through a South African owned shop in Lagos recently. Mr. Price to be precise. I had just returned from a trip to Johannesburg and looking for cheap gifts i had forgotten to pick up for my hangers on when i returned. There was a piece of sweat shirt I had made a mental note to purchase at Mr. Price and decided to get it at the Nigerian store. T
his was a piece of item placed at their “priced to go” racks at N1,800 (R114.74) per piece. I have a long, retentive memory and i could still recall that this same piece of sweatshirt sells for N784.24 (R49.99) in South Africa. And if you factored in my 14% tax rebates, that sweat shirt did in fact come to me at N669.34 (R42.99). That’s some 269% increase over and above the marked prices inside South Africa.
This huge price differential is typical across board on most south african owned consumer products in Nigeria. From Shoprite to Chicken Republic to Massmart (Game), Mr. Price, Woolworth and Truworths. It is a tale of undue exploitation of Nigerians by South African Businesses.
Before i am crucified for being xenophobic, it is important to understand that the criticism of South African companies have persisted as a consequence of their approach to business in Nigeria, which has often been characterised as predatory and mercantilist. South Africa’s foreign policy towards Nigeria and indeed, towards all of Africa is not based on any Pan-Africanism or anti-imperialism; it is rather based on promoting South Africa’s expanding business interests on the continent.
It is an expansionist agenda that South African corporations and parastatals have successfully implemented in a one-sided hegemonic relationship. As echoed by Foluso Phillips, the chairman of Lagos-based Phillips Consulting, a business consultancy of branding advisors, “There is much that South Africa can offer Nigeria, but there has been a problem of attitude and lack of trust as well as divergent objectives by both parties,… however, there must be a strong spirit of win-win, as the track record and perception makes it all look one-sided in South Africa’s favour.”

Believe me, I am a fan of South African business in Nigeria. Rightly or wrongly, the economic boosts our country has experienced in various sectors of the economy, in particular, retail and telecommunication, through the interventions of South African businesses have helped to redefine the consumer experience here. They have brought healthy competitions and quality alternatives to other product offerings. They have been open about their desire to conquer the consumer market and have in turn created employment opportunities for thousands of Nigerians. They saw the potential of the middle income groups in Nigeria and positioned themselves to tap into it.
My grouse however, is that this competitive positioning cannot and should not be exploitative in nature, which is exactly what is happening today. It shouldn’t happen in a market of 170 million people in which, 40% of the population describe themselves as middle income earners.
This target group alone represent a market that’s still larger than the entire population of South Africa! Worse still, this should not be happening in a country that allows businesses to repatriate 100% of entire profits back to home. And it definitely shouldn’t be happening in a country that has massive disparities in incomes with it. Some comparative economic data will suffice here:
Nigeria South Africa
Population 170 million 52 million
Gross Domestic Product $268.7 billion $375.9 billion
GDP per Capita $1,657 $7,257
Exports (1st Quarter, 2012) $750 million $150 million
How does it happen that the earning power of the average south african is more than 4 times that of his Nigerian counterpart and yet, Nigerians are made to pay almost 3 times for the same quality of goods.

The reality is, South African companies are making a dangerous killing in Nigeria and we are helpless to do anything about it. There is evidence that South African companies have been involved in blatant profiteering and looting in Nigeria.
For a very long time, MTN charges in Nigeria were the highest rates in the world for cellular phone calls. And despite its massive profits, MTN has really only created about 500 permanent jobs. Most of its employees are casual or temporary workers, and just like other South African corporations, denies all of its workers the right to join a trade union. Something that would be most unheard of in their own country.
And do not be deceived by the trade surplus in Nigeria’s favour. Of the 750 million dollars worth of Nigerian exports to South Africa reported in the first three months of 2012 by The South African Revenue Service, 740 million dollars worth are made up of mineral products, mainly oil. That means, other than oil, Nigeria have absolutely no stake in South Africa’s economy.
Compare that with MTN owning 52% of Nigeria’s mobile telecommunications market; franchises like Nandos, Chicken Republic and St. Elmos, etc owning 50% of the international fast food market worth US$2.5 million per annum; DSTV accounting for 90% of the viewers that watch satellite TV in Nigeria; SASOL playing major roles in Escravos with Chevron; and Entech and Broll managing prime estates and properties including the development of the Bar Beach (Eko Atlantic) and management of over 600 fuel stations and malls across Nigeria respectively. This can’t healthy.
There is a reason why such unequal trade relations exist between Nigeria and South Africa. The bilateral agreements signed by both governments since 1999 allows this to happen without hinderance to operations. South African companies’ investments in Nigeria are heavily protected from any interference at any level by the Nigerian government. It is a license to grow as they please without consequence. Added to this, there are substantial tax rebates for companies operating here through agreements on eradicating double taxation.
South African companies that paid tax in Nigeria are protected from paying taxes back home and can repatriate the entire profits. Now, imagine the US$5.3 billion MTN had earned after tax in the 10 years of operation from 2001 – 2011 finding its way back to the South African economy tax free! Why wouldn’t the Rand be stronger than the Naira at any level?
When the foundations of this country was laid in the fight against imperialism, it was not envisioned to have it substituted with another form of neo-colonialism. The activities of South African businesses in Nigeria have been abrasive to Nigerians and the Nigerian economy.
There is a siege mentality they have on this country that needs to be addressed. They have created opportunities not to develop the Nigerian economy but to exploit its resources. We experienced that with the British, endured it with the Chinese and now, it’s the South Africans that are our new colonialists. This is not the sort of relationship we should be aspiring to at this time. The sooner our government addresses these imbalances the better
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jul 17, 2013
BCraig:

grin grin grin grin

These guys and their Okonkwo tendencies. SMH

that's a name, dafoq tendencies? what are you saying?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 7:50pm On Jul 17, 2013
souldust: you dont listen to it becos you are angry that we are culturally present in SA. That we are invading SA with cultural imperialism is one thing you cannot swallow.

Do you call Hip-Hop your culture? Shame.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by BCraig: 7:52pm On Jul 17, 2013
scipher:
that's a name, dafoq tendencies? what are you saying?

Yes - you're all just like Okonkwo from "Things Fall Apart". You act and speak like him. Achebe clearly understood the typical Naai-gerian. grin

_____

Okonkwo is a self-made, well-respected member of the Umuofia clan. Though outwardly stern and powerful, much of his life is dictated by internal fear. His greatest, overwhelming worry is that he will become like his father – lazy, unable to support his family, and cowardly. Okonkwo considers many of his father’s characteristics to be feminine. Much of Okonkwo’s behavior results from a reactionary desire to be completely unlike his father. This means that Okonkwo attempts to work hard, provide for his family materially, be brave, and be masculine in every possible way. As a result, Okonkwo’s becomes successful in many ways – he becomes very wealthy, holds a high-ranked position in the community, has three wives, and is known for his skill as a wrestler and warrior. But he also tends toward emotions that are extreme, and his fear motivates him to take actions which are often unnecessary and ultimately destructive. His fear of being feminine leads him to assist in the murder of Ikemefuna whom he loved, to beat his wives, be emotionally distant from his children, and to disown his oldest son.

As an uncompromising man’s man, Okonkwo’s relationship towards his family is one of complete dictatorship. His three wives are there to serve him his food and raise his children. By seeing them as his subjects, Okonkwo can justify his brutal behavior against them. He can beat his wives without guilt. He can threaten Ekwefi with a gun when she talks back. He can rebuke Nwoye for listening to old wives’ tales. This sense of ownership is exemplified when Okonkwo takes Ikemefuna’s life. Though he does have qualms about killing Ikemefuna, they are not qualms about whether or not he has the right to do it. Okonkwo feels complete ownership over his family.

There is, however, the problem of love and intimacy. Okonkwo rarely shows these aspects of himself since he considers emotion soft and feminine – but the emotions are there nonetheless. The fact that he lies to Ikemefuna to protect the boy from fear and later feels guilty about killing him are proof of that Okonkwo isn’t devoid of positive human emotions. But, whenever there is a clash between showing true emotion and maintaining the show of his strength, Okonkwo will always go with the latter.

Okonkwo tries to follow the laws of the clan. Whenever he breaks them – either deliberately through a loss of temper or inadvertently as in shooting the boy – he never questions the punishments brought upon him. Okonkwo abides by his punishment whether or not he thinks they are fair. This is one way of maintaining his honor and reputation. He reads the laws literally, unlike his father who bent the rules and tried to circumvent certain aspects of the law.

Thus we come to one of the central conflicts in the novel: the divide between Okonkwo’s personal pride and the actions forced on him by the external social laws of the Umuofia. His final act of suicide is the ultimate demonstration of things falling apart because it is the first and only time that Okonkwo purposefully and calculatedly breaks the clan laws. As a character, Okonkwo remains pretty consistent throughout the book. We see no sudden changes in behavior or mindset; in fact, that may be Okonkwo’s problem – his inability to adapt or compromise his ethics to changing situations that call for more tolerance or compassion. Okonkwo, whose sense of pride and dignity continues until the end, chooses to live and die on his own terms rather than submit to the white man. For Okonkwo, giving in would be against so much of what he has stood for – courage, tradition, and manliness.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 8:04pm On Jul 17, 2013
BCraig:

First of all, I'm not black and I don't care to talk about race.

Secondly, the fact that South Africans were in your Universities doesn't mean that your universities are now worth writing home about. They aren't. Your smartest people go to college in other countries. Go figure.

98% failure rate! shocked

Only two out of 100 pass. And you still need to bridge when you apply to study in the UK. SMH. No..weeping cry

All those South Africans who have studied in their universities have had their qualifications nullified. I want that South African, will they name him/her?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jul 17, 2013
BCraig:

Yes - you're all just like Okonkwo from "Things Fall Apart". You act and speak like him. Achebe clearly understood the typical Naai-gerian. grin

_____

Okonkwo is a self-made, well-respected member of the Umuofia clan. Though outwardly stern and powerful, much of his life is dictated by internal fear. His greatest, overwhelming worry is that he will become like his father – lazy, unable to support his family, and cowardly. Okonkwo considers many of his father’s characteristics to be feminine. Much of Okonkwo’s behavior results from a reactionary desire to be completely unlike his father. This means that Okonkwo attempts to work hard, provide for his family materially, be brave, and be masculine in every possible way. As a result, Okonkwo’s becomes successful in many ways – he becomes very wealthy, holds a high-ranked position in the community, has three wives, and is known for his skill as a wrestler and warrior. But he also tends toward emotions that are extreme, and his fear motivates him to take actions which are often unnecessary and ultimately destructive. His fear of being feminine leads him to assist in the murder of Ikemefuna whom he loved, to beat his wives, be emotionally distant from his children, and to disown his oldest son.

As an uncompromising man’s man, Okonkwo’s relationship towards his family is one of complete dictatorship. His three wives are there to serve him his food and raise his children. By seeing them as his subjects, Okonkwo can justify his brutal behavior against them. He can beat his wives without guilt. He can threaten Ekwefi with a gun when she talks back. He can rebuke Nwoye for listening to old wives’ tales. This sense of ownership is exemplified when Okonkwo takes Ikemefuna’s life. Though he does have qualms about killing Ikemefuna, they are not qualms about whether or not he has the right to do it. Okonkwo feels complete ownership over his family.

There is, however, the problem of love and intimacy. Okonkwo rarely shows these aspects of himself since he considers emotion soft and feminine – but the emotions are there nonetheless. The fact that he lies to Ikemefuna to protect the boy from fear and later feels guilty about killing him are proof of that Okonkwo isn’t devoid of positive human emotions. But, whenever there is a clash between showing true emotion and maintaining the show of his strength, Okonkwo will always go with the latter.

Okonkwo tries to follow the laws of the clan. Whenever he breaks them – either deliberately through a loss of temper or inadvertently as in shooting the boy – he never questions the punishments brought upon him. Okonkwo abides by his punishment whether or not he thinks they are fair. This is one way of maintaining his honor and reputation. He reads the laws literally, unlike his father who bent the rules and tried to circumvent certain aspects of the law.

Thus we come to one of the central conflicts in the novel: the divide between Okonkwo’s personal pride and the actions forced on him by the external social laws of the Umuofia. His final act of suicide is the ultimate demonstration of things falling apart because it is the first and only time that Okonkwo purposefully and calculatedly breaks the clan laws. As a character, Okonkwo remains pretty consistent throughout the book. We see no sudden changes in behavior or mindset; in fact, that may be Okonkwo’s problem – his inability to adapt or compromise his ethics to changing situations that call for more tolerance or compassion. Okonkwo, whose sense of pride and dignity continues until the end, chooses to live and die on his own terms rather than submit to the white man. For Okonkwo, giving in would be against so much of what he has stood for – courage, tradition, and manliness.
your statement doesn't make sense! sounds stuppid
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by BCraig: 8:27pm On Jul 17, 2013
scipher:
your statement doesn't make sense! sounds stuppid

It's NOT my statement.

Just because you're confused doesn't mean that the speaker is st*pid.

I guess that explains everything. Boko Har*am says western education is st*pid because B Har*am is confused by it. grin

Rocket science is veeeeery "st*pid" to a Naai-gerian. grin grin grin grin

Classic Okonkwo.

____

Speaking of rocket science, why don't you read up on South African rocket science whizzkid and go weep in a corner somewhere?

http://www.caglobalint.com/blog/siyabulela-lethuxolo-xuza-is-south-africas-wizzard/

A young man representing South Africa and with the brightest future ahead of him, Siyabulela Lethuxolo Xuza is literally an engineering wizard. Xusa as a boy would often find himself experimenting with chemicals and other scientific substances in his mother kitchen. From the unfortunate community of Mthatha in the Eastern Cape, to international science and engineering tributes, he is presently South Africa’s role model for all aspiring scientists.

Even NASA gave him a personal guided tour of their accommodations AND is the youngest affiliate of the Africa 2.0 energy advisory panel. The pan-African organisation encompasses Africa’s brightest minds and is dedicated to pursuing supportable resolutions to challenges confronted by Africans. Xuza is now working on transforming households into power plants that capture the energy of the sun during the day and stock some of it in fuel cells, for use at night.

Siyabulela might solve Naai-geria's power problems, which they have failed to deal with in more than half a century grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 8:45pm On Jul 17, 2013
BCraig:

Always trust a Naai-gerian to boast about nothing.

Culturally present, are you?

Is that why Naai-gerians are crying? That's because you're present? Where are you present? In Hillbrow?

____

SA ripping Nigeria off

24 June 2013, 20:29
I had the misfortune of walking through a South African owned shop in Lagos recently. Mr. Price to be precise. I had just returned from a trip to Johannesburg and looking for cheap gifts i had forgotten to pick up for my hangers on when i returned. There was a piece of sweat shirt I had made a mental note to purchase at Mr. Price and decided to get it at the Nigerian store. T
his was a piece of item placed at their “priced to go” racks at N1,800 (R114.74) per piece. I have a long, retentive memory and i could still recall that this same piece of sweatshirt sells for N784.24 (R49.99) in South Africa. And if you factored in my 14% tax rebates, that sweat shirt did in fact come to me at N669.34 (R42.99). That’s some 269% increase over and above the marked prices inside South Africa.
This huge price differential is typical across board on most south african owned consumer products in Nigeria. From Shoprite to Chicken Republic to Massmart (Game), Mr. Price, Woolworth and Truworths. It is a tale of undue exploitation of Nigerians by South African Businesses.
Before i am crucified for being xenophobic, it is important to understand that the criticism of South African companies have persisted as a consequence of their approach to business in Nigeria, which has often been characterised as predatory and mercantilist. South Africa’s foreign policy towards Nigeria and indeed, towards all of Africa is not based on any Pan-Africanism or anti-imperialism; it is rather based on promoting South Africa’s expanding business interests on the continent.
It is an expansionist agenda that South African corporations and parastatals have successfully implemented in a one-sided hegemonic relationship. As echoed by Foluso Phillips, the chairman of Lagos-based Phillips Consulting, a business consultancy of branding advisors, “There is much that South Africa can offer Nigeria, but there has been a problem of attitude and lack of trust as well as divergent objectives by both parties,… however, there must be a strong spirit of win-win, as the track record and perception makes it all look one-sided in South Africa’s favour.”

Believe me, I am a fan of South African business in Nigeria. Rightly or wrongly, the economic boosts our country has experienced in various sectors of the economy, in particular, retail and telecommunication, through the interventions of South African businesses have helped to redefine the consumer experience here. They have brought healthy competitions and quality alternatives to other product offerings. They have been open about their desire to conquer the consumer market and have in turn created employment opportunities for thousands of Nigerians. They saw the potential of the middle income groups in Nigeria and positioned themselves to tap into it.
My grouse however, is that this competitive positioning cannot and should not be exploitative in nature, which is exactly what is happening today. It shouldn’t happen in a market of 170 million people in which, 40% of the population describe themselves as middle income earners.
This target group alone represent a market that’s still larger than the entire population of South Africa! Worse still, this should not be happening in a country that allows businesses to repatriate 100% of entire profits back to home. And it definitely shouldn’t be happening in a country that has massive disparities in incomes with it. Some comparative economic data will suffice here:
Nigeria South Africa
Population 170 million 52 million
Gross Domestic Product $268.7 billion $375.9 billion
GDP per Capita $1,657 $7,257
Exports (1st Quarter, 2012) $750 million $150 million
How does it happen that the earning power of the average south african is more than 4 times that of his Nigerian counterpart and yet, Nigerians are made to pay almost 3 times for the same quality of goods.

The reality is, South African companies are making a dangerous killing in Nigeria and we are helpless to do anything about it. There is evidence that South African companies have been involved in blatant profiteering and looting in Nigeria.
For a very long time, MTN charges in Nigeria were the highest rates in the world for cellular phone calls. And despite its massive profits, MTN has really only created about 500 permanent jobs. Most of its employees are casual or temporary workers, and just like other South African corporations, denies all of its workers the right to join a trade union. Something that would be most unheard of in their own country.
And do not be deceived by the trade surplus in Nigeria’s favour. Of the 750 million dollars worth of Nigerian exports to South Africa reported in the first three months of 2012 by The South African Revenue Service, 740 million dollars worth are made up of mineral products, mainly oil. That means, other than oil, Nigeria have absolutely no stake in South Africa’s economy.
Compare that with MTN owning 52% of Nigeria’s mobile telecommunications market; franchises like Nandos, Chicken Republic and St. Elmos, etc owning 50% of the international fast food market worth US$2.5 million per annum; DSTV accounting for 90% of the viewers that watch satellite TV in Nigeria; SASOL playing major roles in Escravos with Chevron; and Entech and Broll managing prime estates and properties including the development of the Bar Beach (Eko Atlantic) and management of over 600 fuel stations and malls across Nigeria respectively. This can’t healthy.
There is a reason why such unequal trade relations exist between Nigeria and South Africa. The bilateral agreements signed by both governments since 1999 allows this to happen without hinderance to operations. South African companies’ investments in Nigeria are heavily protected from any interference at any level by the Nigerian government. It is a license to grow as they please without consequence. Added to this, there are substantial tax rebates for companies operating here through agreements on eradicating double taxation.
South African companies that paid tax in Nigeria are protected from paying taxes back home and can repatriate the entire profits. Now, imagine the US$5.3 billion MTN had earned after tax in the 10 years of operation from 2001 – 2011 finding its way back to the South African economy tax free! Why wouldn’t the Rand be stronger than the Naira at any level?
When the foundations of this country was laid in the fight against imperialism, it was not envisioned to have it substituted with another form of neo-colonialism. The activities of South African businesses in Nigeria have been abrasive to Nigerians and the Nigerian economy.
There is a siege mentality they have on this country that needs to be addressed. They have created opportunities not to develop the Nigerian economy but to exploit its resources. We experienced that with the British, endured it with the Chinese and now, it’s the South Africans that are our new colonialists. This is not the sort of relationship we should be aspiring to at this time. The sooner our government addresses these imbalances the better

South Africa has colonised their economy. Bwahahahahaha!!!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by BCraig: 8:52pm On Jul 17, 2013
Msauza:

South Africa has colonised their economy. Bwahahahahaha!!!

Hahaha, they have a funny way of showing their "intelligence".

As if the above is not enough, they now want South Africa to look at their oil industry:

http://www.nnpcgroup.com/PublicRelations/NNPCinthenews/tabid/92/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/452/Press-Release-Nigeria-South-Africa-Sign-MOU-to-Bolster-Economic-Ties-In-Oil-and-Gas-Sector.aspx

“The historic visit to South Africa has afforded the Nigerian Government the opportunity to sign nine memoranda of understanding in different areas of the economy. Specifically, the MOU on Oil and Gas Sector was to basically help in the transfer of knowledge, skills, capacities and technology. This will ultimately help in transferring South African footprint into the Nigerian hydrocarbon industry,” Mrs. Alison-Madueke stated.

The Minister noted that the engagement with South Africa would also help Nigeria to learn the model of its National Oil Company which has done so well over the years in order to replicate similar model to the way the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC was being managed.

________
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by paniki(m): 9:09pm On Jul 17, 2013
So which country has the strongest military in Africa?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 9:13pm On Jul 17, 2013
BCraig:

Hahaha, they have a funny way of showing their "intelligence".

As if the above is not enough, they now want South Africa to look at their oil industry:

http://www.nnpcgroup.com/PublicRelations/NNPCinthenews/tabid/92/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/452/Press-Release-Nigeria-South-Africa-Sign-MOU-to-Bolster-Economic-Ties-In-Oil-and-Gas-Sector.aspx

“The historic visit to South Africa has afforded the Nigerian Government the opportunity to sign nine memoranda of understanding in different areas of the economy. Specifically, the MOU on Oil and Gas Sector was to basically help in the transfer of knowledge, skills, capacities and technology. This will ultimately help in transferring South African footprint into the Nigerian hydrocarbon industry,” Mrs. Alison-Madueke stated.

The Minister noted that the engagement with South Africa would also help Nigeria to learn the model of its National Oil Company which has done so well over the years in order to replicate similar model to the way the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC was being managed.

________

What they don't know is that we will milk that oil dry and bring every revenues back home. Nissan SA also want to go and collect some pennies.

(1) (2) (3) ... (520) (521) (522) (523) (524) (525) (526) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.