Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,269 members, 7,849,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:15 PM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (912) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4458800 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (909) (910) (911) (912) (913) (914) (915) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by rka1: 10:32am On Dec 24, 2013
For those SAs who think the NN ain't up to much;

Vanguard (Lagos)
Email Print Share

Nigeria: Navy Destroyed 1,556 Illegal Oil Refineries, Nabbed 1,646 Suspects in 2013 - CNS
24 December 2013

Abuja — Chief of Naval Staff, CNS, Vice-Admiral Dele Ezeoba, yesterday said the Nigerian Navy destroyed 1,556 illegal oil refineries and arrested 1,646 suspects in 2013.

Ezeoba disclosed this at the launch of the Chief of Naval Staff Strategic Guidance, SG, 02 in Abuja, yesterday.

He said: "The Nigerian Navy destroyed 1,556 illegal oil refineries, 103 barges, 69,606 auxiliary equipment and 1,443 large wooden boats.'Between October 2012 and September 2013, more than 1,646 suspects were arrested and handed over to either the Nigeria Police Force, EFCC or the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps for trial."

He said the incidence of piracy had been reduced considerably."For instance, between January and September 2013, the Nigerian Navy received 91 alerts of

suspected sea robbery and piracy within Nigeria's maritime space," he added.

According to Ezeoba, the Nigerian Navy responded to 64 cases of sea robbery and is currently investigating 22 of the remaining cases.The chief of naval staff also said the two hijacked vessels, MV Crow and MT Norte, with 17,000 metric tonnes of gasoline, were successfully rescued by the Navy.

"Currently, two offshore patrol vessels are under construction, one to be fully built in China and the other to be completed in the Naval Shipyard Limited, Port Harcourt," he added.

Ezeoba also said the Navy had acquired a U.S. Coast Guard Ship, USCGC Gallatin which is expected to sail into the country by the second quarter of 2014.

"Following the achievement of the aforementioned milestone, which was the essence of my SG 01, it has now become necessary to issue my SG 02," he said.

Accordingly, the Chief of Naval Staff, SG 02 was duly promulgated on Nov. 1, 2013, to ensure that the directives contained therein are carried out.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201312240230.html

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 10:42am On Dec 24, 2013
GH^KWAME:
hmmm! Why did you edit my quotes? I provided a link for a purpose read more.

I could not have ... and did not edit your quote! Only someone fairly new to using the forum will fail to understand how Seun Osewa has programmed the message quotation hierarchy on Nairaland.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by rka1: 10:57am On Dec 24, 2013
NIGERIAN NAVY’S 38M SEAWARD DEFENCE BOAT (SDB) PROJECT: AN EXERCISE IN LOCAL CONTENT DEVELOPMENT

The Nigerian Navy (NN) 38m Seaward Defence Boat (SDB) project is a bold attempt at self-reliance in local construction of naval platforms. Since the Presidential directive at the commissioning of NNS ANDONI, the CNS, V Adm Ezeoba has left no stone unturned towards the construction of SDB 2.

The 38M SDB is presently under construction at the Naval Dockyard Limited (NDL). The project started with the construction of the inverted hull as a single unit, while the superstructure is being built as a separate entity. Upon completion of both units, they will now be welded together to achieve a single compact unit. The various segments of the superstructure have been fabricated and welded together.

On 22 Dec 13, history was made in the NN, when upon completion of the hull, it was turned from the inverted position to the upright position and placed on keel blocks. This is the first time this evolution has taken place in the history of the NN, and this was executed with a 100 percent Nigerian Team. The boat is now ready for the next stage of the project which includes; the welding of the superstructure, construction of tanks, piping systems, electrical installations and installation of propulsion machinery amongst others. The vessel is expected to be commissioned into the NN fleet in 2014.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 11:03am On Dec 24, 2013
rka1: Our Cameroonian friends again.

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/article_xinhua.aspx?id=189413

70 killed in troops, Boko Haram clashes in Nigeria: military

Dec 24,2013

LAGOS, Dec. 23 (Xinhua) -- The Nigerian defense authority on Monday said more than 70 people have been killed in clashes between the army and members of the Boko Haram militant group in the northeast, following last Friday pre-dawn attacks on a military barracks in Bama town.

"Over 50 of them (Boko Haram) died in the course of exchange of fire with ground troops in the ongoing operations to apprehend fleeing terrorists," Major General Chris Olukolade, the defense director of information, said in a statement obtained by Xinhua

He said the military also lost 15 soldiers mostly from the attack while some died during the pursuit, adding that a total of five civilians also died during the attack.

According to Olukolade, the military operations led to the destruction of over 20 vehicles conveying escaping militants.
[b]

He added that the vehicles were the ones used during the attack on the barracks and were sighted through air surveillance as the militants were making efforts to cross the borders back to their haven in Cameroon.
[/b]
Last Friday, the military said Bama barracks was attacked by militants who came from cells located across Nigerian Border with Cameroon through Banki town, adding that high caliber weapons such as anti-aircraft and rocket propelled guns were freely used in the attack that lasted several hours.

Bama town, about 65 km from Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, had suffered numerous attacks from Boko Haram insurgents, forcing some residents to flee.

Many residents were killed in May when suspected militants raided Bama Town, killing mostly children and women.

Violence has intensified in northeastern Nigeria since President Goodluck Jonathan ordered his security forces in May to crush Boko Haram's four-year-old rebellion.

The Nigerian forces have been raiding militant camps and launching air and ground attacks on suspected hideouts of the militants over the past two months.

Borno State, located in Nigeria's northeast region, is a flashpoint of attacks perpetrated by Boko Haram since 2009, when the sect launched its insurgency targeting churches, security facilities, schools and villages.

Nail biting moments of decision over the past few weeks! Strike inside of Cameroun or not. The option is getting more traction internally!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by nachrisbedis: 12:10pm On Dec 24, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

Nail biting moments of decision over the past few weeks! Strike inside of Cameroun or not. The option is getting more traction internally!
Biya doesn't know he's playing with fire. with CAR crisis in the south and boko haram in the north, it's only a matter of time before it gets to his turn by the time Nigeria has frustrated boko haram to shift attention to supporting local islamist militias in cameroon. i go swear for our government if them show concern.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 12:35pm On Dec 24, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

Servers! Servers!! And servers ... You are such a clueless lad and I feel so sorry for your future! What else will you come up with to give false credence to your wish? Servers in deed!

You such a fool, rather argue with the following article below which clearly states that one of your satellites gateway is located in SA.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/history-as-nigeria-finally-launches-two-satellites/96588
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GHKWAME1: 1:36pm On Dec 24, 2013
na_chris_be_dis:
Biya doesn't know he's playing with fire. with CAR crisis in the south and boko haram in the north, it's only a matter of time before it gets to his turn by the time Nigeria has frustrated boko haram to shift attention to supporting local islamist militias in cameroon. i go swear for our government if them show concern.
I don't trust these french countries. Please if you guys are kitting your guys with french hardware, please urge your government to stop it, because the economic incentive for France to keep this low intensity warfare might be high.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by rka1: 2:16pm On Dec 24, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

It is surely inevitable if this continues, at least pursuing them into Cameroonian territory as diplomacy with Cameroon has not borne any fruit. Cameroon are slack because they know the French will back them, but you never know.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by rka1: 2:19pm On Dec 24, 2013
GH^KWAME:
I don't trust these french countries. Please if you guys are kitting your guys with french hardware, please urge your government to stop it, because the economic incentive for France to keep this low intensity warfare might be high.

Not to worry bro, not much new stuff as far as we can see coming from France, although some of our older AFVs and the like are French.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 3:19pm On Dec 24, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

THERE IS NO SUCH NIGERIAN NIGCOMSAT SAATELLITE GATEWAY in South Africa! (In capital letters)

i copy you sir ! thanks

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 3:29pm On Dec 24, 2013
rka1:

You are very funny indeed. in fact the BH casualty figures are underestimated as they carry their dead with them when possible (including burying them while fleeing) and a lot of them die from their wounds afterwards tongue

yes like boko top man shekau who died many days after nigerian army shot him.....and we can never count those low level unnamed boko haram fighters who die in the jungle and mountains from artillery and aircraft bombardments.

good to see nigerian army is not like south african army that will claim to kill 1,000 enemies and lose only 15 men.

even the Israeli super army could not achieve that against Egypt and American army could not do it against Taliban in Afghanistan.

Lol, south africa can lie and a dead man will jump out of the grave and shout...."no be you kill me o ! i die natural death from typhoid" cheesy

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 3:35pm On Dec 24, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

nigeria needs permission from cameroon to strike boko haram bases there, but cameroon is said to be afraid of internal conflict with the tribes in their north who dont like the current president Biya, he does not want to stir the hornets' nest.

he prefers to sit down on a keg of gunpowder and smoke his cigarette .
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 3:36pm On Dec 24, 2013
GH^KWAME:

We have long shifted our defence procurements from the west. Al French hardwares we have were acquired in the 80s and early 90s.

The problem with these francophone countries is that they don't make decisions without approval from France. Especially Cameroon. And something tells me France is enjoying what is happening in borno as Nigeria has always been a threat to their interests in ecowas.

Na Cameroon me dey pity cos boko haram will definitely shift focus by the time they get tired of fighting Nigerian military.

This is exactly how AQIM was pushed out of Algeria to the Sahara. Only time will tell.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 3:42pm On Dec 24, 2013
agaugust:
Lol, south africa can lie and a dead man will jump out of the grave and shout...."no be you kill me o ! i die natural death from typhoid" cheesy

You don kill me o
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 3:59pm On Dec 24, 2013
GH^KWAME:

Lol! I think you are exagerrating here bros!

read more

It has no military value... But here is something to be proud of ......

Lol! i think you are under-estimating here bros!

It has much military value... and here is something to be proud of ......

nigeria has 3 satellites in orbit, and about 100 nigerian military officers many with PhD and MSc degrees sit down to work permanently in the control room of nigeria's satellite command/control centre, now that is military value.

nigerian army has used our satellites for combat and reconnaissance purposes against Boko Haram fighters, Mali rebels, battlefield operations in Sudan, and etc. the first Boko Haram anti-aircraft gun was detected by nigerian satellites and we sent our air force to strike.

nigeria used its satellite to spy on the American airport in the photo below, now that is excellent military value...get it ?

http://beegeagle./2012/05/18/nigeria-to-launch-3-more-satellites-send-astronauts-to-space-by-2015-100-military-personnel-trained-to-man-surveillance-satellite/

.http://beegeagle./2013/02/23/high-level-nigerian-military-team-visit-national-space-research-and-development-agency-nigeriasat-x-relaying-area-imagery-to-nigerian-afisma-contingent/

http://www.vision-systems.com/articles/2011/10/nigerian-satellite-captures-high-res-images-of-salt-lake-city.html

Nigeria is NOT what other countries think we are, people look at us a below average black nation, i can tell you that Nigeria is equal to many South American and East European countries in capacity and development, I have traveled to some of these overseas nations and their level of domestic technological manufacturing capacity is NOT better than nigeria, they too have their countries full and over-filled with products imported from China because they lack home grown industrial technology.....and they have slums too.

several European Union countries cannot build the type of modern ships nigeria is building now in Lagos shipyard, and many of them have no capacity to build a Drone/UAV like nigeria. reason why the white men's nations are afraid of a rising black power and always try to run Nigeria down in every way possible.

Photo below : Nigerian satellites obtained high quality resolution satellite image of an American airport at Salt Lake City, Utah, with the terminal buildings, runway layout, and surrounding roads all clearly visible. In the full-resolution image, aircraft can be seen at the stands as well as cars in the parking lot. On the runways, painted numbers on the tarmac can clearly be read and there is sufficient detail to count the engines on larger aircraft.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 4:14pm On Dec 24, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

You such a fool, rather argue with the following article below which clearly states that one of your satellites gateway is located in SA.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/history-as-nigeria-finally-launches-two-satellites/96588

listen up dude, we dont find any proof that says south africa currently hosts any gateway fro nigerian satellites, all sources are old and from several years ago, all say one of the four gateways is 'said to be' NOT 'confirmed to be' located there, what if that changed eventually when the satellites were finally launched ?

no source tells us what really and truly happened about the gateway's locations.

the only one satellite that could be involved or not, is our telecommunications satellite NIGCOMSAT, not our earth observation satellites.

i dont trust you south africans because all of you including your leaders are a bunch of liars who will tell a white man that only south african blacks have ever seen a computer, that the rest of africa still live on tree tops like Tarzan of the jungle.

i pitch my tent with @NaijapikinGidi until you can 100% credibly prove him wrong.

meanwhile, current sources confirm that the control rooms for the nigerian satellites are located in nigeria and china, so south africa has NO control whatsoever, we can only be using you as a bus stop or stepping stone....keep on depending on us for your satellite solutions and services, nigeria is your saviour. thank you sir.

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 4:45pm On Dec 24, 2013
agaugust:

listen up dude, we dont find any proof that says south africa currently hosts any gateway fro nigerian satellites, all sources are old and from several years ago, all say one of the four gateways is 'said to be' NOT 'confirmed to be' located there, what if that changed eventually when the satellites were finally launched ?

no source tells us what really and truly happened about the gateway's locations.

the only one satellite that could be involved or not, is our telecommunications satellite NIGCOMSAT, not our earth observation satellites.

i dont trust you south africans because all of you including your leaders are a bunch of liars who will tell a white man that only south african blacks have ever seen a computer, that the rest of africa still live on tree tops like Tarzan of the jungle.

i pitch my tent with @NaijapikinGidi until you can 100% credibly prove him wrong.

meanwhile, current sources confirm that the control rooms for the nigerian satellites are located in nigeria and china, so south africa has NO control whatsoever, we can only be using you as a bus stop or stepping stone....keep on depending on us for your satellite solutions and services, nigeria is your saviour. thank you sir.

I gave you all the sources necessary, then it proves to me that you deliberately chose to ignore them and instead hid your head on the heap of ignorance. So what will be the use of trying to make sense in a lunatic.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GHKWAME1: 5:00pm On Dec 24, 2013
agaugust:

Lol! i think you are under-estimating here bros!

It has much military value... and here is something to be proud of ......

nigeria has 3 satellites in orbit, and about 100 nigerian military officers many with PhD and MSc degrees sit down to work permanently in the control room of nigeria's satellite command/control centre, now that is military value.

nigerian army has used our satellites for combat and reconnaissance purposes against Boko Haram fighters, Mali rebels, battlefield operations in Sudan, and etc. the first Boko Haram anti-aircraft gun was detected by nigerian satellites and we sent our air force to strike.

nigeria used its satellite to spy on the American airport in the photo below, now that is excellent military value...get it ?

http://beegeagle./2012/05/18/nigeria-to-launch-3-more-satellites-send-astronauts-to-space-by-2015-100-military-personnel-trained-to-man-surveillance-satellite/

.http://beegeagle./2013/02/23/high-level-nigerian-military-team-visit-national-space-research-and-development-agency-nigeriasat-x-relaying-area-imagery-to-nigerian-afisma-contingent/

http://www.vision-systems.com/articles/2011/10/nigerian-satellite-captures-high-res-images-of-salt-lake-city.html

Nigeria is NOT what other countries think we are, people look at us a below average black nation, i can tell you that Nigeria is equal to many South American and East European countries in capacity and development, I have traveled to some of these overseas nations and their level of domestic technological manufacturing capacity is NOT better than nigeria, they too have their countries full and over-filled with products imported from China because they lack home grown industrial technology.....and they have slums too.

several European Union countries cannot build the type of modern ships nigeria is building now in Lagos shipyard, and many of them have no capacity to build a Drone/UAV like nigeria. reason why the white men's nations are afraid of a rising black power and always try to run Nigeria down in every way possible.

Photo below : Nigerian satellites obtained high quality resolution satellite image of an American airport at Salt Lake City, Utah, with the terminal buildings, runway layout, and surrounding roads all clearly visible. In the full-resolution image, aircraft can be seen at the stands as well as cars in the parking lot. On the runways, painted numbers on the tarmac can clearly be read and there is sufficient detail to count the engines on larger aircraft.
Impressive stuff, but I think the available satellite in your inventory can be purchased by any country willing to look at agriculture
production and improving on food security using satellite technology. Thumbs up for taking the initiative sha!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GHKWAME1: 5:47pm On Dec 24, 2013
rka1:
Not to worry bro, not much new stuff as
far as we can see coming from France
although some of our older AFVs and
the like are French.

chris365:

We have long shifted our defence procurements from the west. Al French hardwares we have were acquired in the 80s and early 90s.

The problem with these francophone countries is that they don't make decisions without approval from France. Especially Cameroon. And something tells me France is enjoying what is happening in borno as Nigeria has always been a threat to their interests in ecowas.

Na Cameroon me dey pity cos boko haram will definitely shift focus by the time they get tired of fighting Nigerian military.

This is exactly how AQIM was pushed out of Algeria to the Sahara. Only time will tell.
Good to know, I pity these puppet french countries who keep a percentage of their foreign reserves in french banks.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 6:00pm On Dec 24, 2013
rka1: For those SAs who think the NN ain't up to much;

Vanguard (Lagos)
Email Print Share

Nigeria: Navy Destroyed 1,556 Illegal Oil Refineries, Nabbed 1,646 Suspects in 2013 - CNS
24 December 2013

Abuja — Chief of Naval Staff, CNS, Vice-Admiral Dele Ezeoba, yesterday said the Nigerian Navy destroyed 1,556 illegal oil refineries and arrested 1,646 suspects in 2013.

Ezeoba disclosed this at the launch of the Chief of Naval Staff Strategic Guidance, SG, 02 in Abuja, yesterday.

He said: "The Nigerian Navy destroyed 1,556 illegal oil refineries, 103 barges, 69,606 auxiliary equipment and 1,443 large wooden boats.'Between October 2012 and September 2013, more than 1,646 suspects were arrested and handed over to either the Nigeria Police Force, EFCC or the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps for trial."

He said the incidence of piracy had been reduced considerably."For instance, between January and September 2013, the Nigerian Navy received 91 alerts of

suspected sea robbery and piracy within Nigeria's maritime space," he added.

According to Ezeoba, the Nigerian Navy responded to 64 cases of sea robbery and is currently investigating 22 of the remaining cases.The chief of naval staff also said the two hijacked vessels, MV Crow and MT Norte, with 17,000 metric tonnes of gasoline, were successfully rescued by the Navy.

"Currently, two offshore patrol vessels are under construction, one to be fully built in China and the other to be completed in the Naval Shipyard Limited, Port Harcourt," he added.

Ezeoba also said the Navy had acquired a U.S. Coast Guard Ship, USCGC Gallatin which is expected to sail into the country by the second quarter of 2014.

"Following the achievement of the aforementioned milestone, which was the essence of my SG 01, it has now become necessary to issue my SG 02," he said.

Accordingly, the Chief of Naval Staff, SG 02 was duly promulgated on Nov. 1, 2013, to ensure that the directives contained therein are carried out.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201312240230.html

is vanguard not one of the sources you complain about when we use them?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by rka1: 6:34pm On Dec 24, 2013
andrewza:

is vanguard not one of the sources you complain about when we use them?

No, Sahara Reporters and Premium times. This is a press release anyway and I can paste many other identical press releases i.e....

http://leadership.ng/news/241213/we-have-arrested-1646-oil-thieves-suspects-naval-chief

MERRY CHRISTMAS ONE AND ALL.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by dragon2(m): 6:57pm On Dec 24, 2013
rka1:

No, Sahara Reporters and Premium times. This is a press release anyway and I can paste many other identical press releases i.e....

http://leadership.ng/news/241213/we-have-arrested-1646-oil-thieves-suspects-naval-chief

MERRY CHRISTMAS ONE AND ALL.

DailyTrust jumps into the 'Premium sahara' News mud every now and then.
Merry Christmas.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 7:12pm On Dec 24, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

I gave you all the sources necessary, then it proves to me that you deliberately chose to ignore them and instead hid your head on the heap of ignorance. So what will be the use of trying to make sense in a lunatic.

Sources? I've seen not one source from you! You remain desperately delusional ... and I feel so sorry for you!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 7:18pm On Dec 24, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

Sources? I've seen not one source from you! You remain desperately delusional ... and I feel so sorry for you!

Why cant you be a proud man and read the sources i have quoted, or should i repeat them. You must stop taking too much of a palm wine, young man. Even an illiterate tapper will see all the links i have provided.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 7:35pm On Dec 24, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

Why cant you be a proud man and read the sources i have quoted, or should i repeat them. You must stop taking too much of a palm wine, young man. Even an illiterate tapper will see all the links i have provided.

What sources? Please provide your sources so we can clearly be proven wrong! No long stories ... just copy and paste ... Interesting how you keep growing your stupidity to new levels.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 7:48pm On Dec 24, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

What sources? Please provide your sources so we can clearly be proven wrong! No long stories ... just copy and paste ... Interesting how you keep growing your stupidity to new levels.

http://www.itnewsafrica.com/2007/05/nigeria-nigcomsat-gateway-to-digitalising-africa/

Here below is the quote from the above source:

The satellite has four gateways to be located in South Africa , China, Italy and Northern Nigeria. The satellite will change positions in orbit until it is finally fixed at a longitude of 42 degrees east. It is expected to be put into use by Nigeria before the end of the year and has a lifespan of 15 years. It will be monitored and tracked by a ground station to be built in Abuja
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by dragon2(m): 8:00pm On Dec 24, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

Are you talking about this:
The replaced satellite tagged NIGCOMSAT R is said to be 75 per cent completed and expected to be launched at the end of the year.

The NigComSat1 experiment was set in motion during the administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo. It was conceived as a follow up to the nation’s first satellite in orbit, Nigeria Satellite NigerSat1. The NigComSat project was seen as an answer to the country’s quest for technological advancement and a window through which Nigeria hoped to stamp its feet on the consciousness of the global community as a nation to be reckoned with in ICT. The Nigeria Satellite 1, which was facilitated by NARSDA, paved the way for NigComSat1 valued at about $250 million.

The satellite has four gateways said to be located in South Africa, China, Italy and Northern Nigeria. The satellite is supposed to have a lifespan of 15 years and is to be monitored and tracked by a ground station built in Abuja [/b]while the Chinese firm, Great Wall Industry Corporation, through its ground station in Kashgar, in North-west China is to monitor it.

[b]The satellite, a hybrid communications facility
, has a fuel payload that is meant to maintain it in orbit for a maximum of 15 years.

The satellite you are talking about is NIGCOMSAT-1R. It is a communication satellite for Broadband Internet,telephony and broadcasting, not NIGERIASAT our surveillance/earth observation satellite.Simply put, no country will route Earth observation satellites through another country due to the obvious security reasons.(intercepting the data for spying).

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by dragon2(m): 8:07pm On Dec 24, 2013
NigComSat-1, a Nigerian satellite ordered and built in China in 2004, was Nigeria's second satellite and Africa's first communication satellite. wink winkIt was launched on 13 May 2007, aboard a Chinese Long March 3B carrier rocket, from the Xichang Satellite Launch Centre in China.

NigeriaSat-1 is a satellite of the standard Disaster Monitoring Constellation (DMC) design. It has 100 kg mass and carries an optical imaging payload developed by SSTL to provide 32 m ground resolution with an exceptionally wide swath width of over 640 km. The payload uses green, red and near infrared bands equivalent to Landsat TM+ bands 2, 3 and 4. Images are stored in a 1-gigabyte solid-state data recorder and returned via an 8-Mbit/s S-band downlink. NigeriaSat-1 can image scenes as large as 640 x 560 km, providing unparalleled wide-area, medium-resolution data. The data will be used within Nigeria to monitor pollution, land use and other medium-scale phenomena. Launched on 27 September 2003.
NigeriaSat-2 and NigeriaSat-X with 300 kg mass each - to replace NigeriaSat-1, commenced November 6, 2006,[6] launched 17 August 2011.
NigComSat-1 Communications satellite providing rural internet access - launched on 13 May 2007, aboard a Chinese Long March 3B carrier rocket, from the Xichang Satellite Launch Centre in China. The satellite was the second Nigerian satellite to be placed into orbit. On 10 November 2008 (0900 GMT), the satellite was reportedly switched off, because it lost both of its solar arrays. The satellite is a total loss. The satellite was owned and operated by Nigerian Communication Satellite limited, an SPV, incorporated as a state owned enterprise, fully funded and owned by Federal Government of Nigeria. NigComSat Limited is currently being supervised by the Newly created Ministry of communications Technology and regulated by NCC and NBC.
NigComSat-1R - to replace the lost NigComSat-1, launched by China on 19 December 2011 with no cost to Nigeria.[7]

NigComSat-2 and NigComSat-3 - more communications satellites to extend Nigerian Communication Satellite ltd capacity, planning to launch in 2012 and 2013.
NigeriaSAT-1 - dual-aimed military/civil Earth monitoring satellite with synthetic aperture radar, planning to launch in 2015.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Space_Research_and_Development_Agency
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 8:20pm On Dec 24, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

http://www.itnewsafrica.com/2007/05/nigeria-nigcomsat-gateway-to-digitalising-africa/

Here below is the quote from the above source:

The satellite has four gateways to be located in South Africa , China, Italy and Northern Nigeria. The satellite will change positions in orbit until it is finally fixed at a longitude of 42 degrees east. It is expected to be put into use by Nigeria before the end of the year and has a lifespan of 15 years. It will be monitored and tracked by a ground station to be built in Abuja

Gentlemen of this thread, please watch as the following points show the stupidity and dullness in this 33% brain:

1:: Article cited is a 2007 report by the writer!
2:: As of 2007 the proposal or plan was to operate four gateways for a certain range in our ground control plan.
3:: Satellite was due for full use at the end of 2007.

If in year 2013 this silly FighterPilot lad will hold tight to this stale and outdated material without presenting a source that validates the 2007 article, I feel so sorry for his competence in the SANDF. A valid source would be one that mentions that the proposed gateway has been implemented. A valid source would be one that mentions the location and nature of the so called gateway you are referring to in South Africa.

Or else where did you get the notion of your imaginary servers? They only exist in your empty blockhead.

We are in 2013 and I can tell you that not even a doorway exists in your SA for our NIGCOMSAT. grin grin

So much for your source! Anuohia! Ode!

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by dragon2(m): 8:29pm On Dec 24, 2013
NEWS AGENCY OF NIGERIA
May 18, 2012
Abuja

Prof. Ita Ewa, the Minister of Science and Technology said on Thursday that Nigeria would launch three satellites and send astronauts to space by 2015.

Ewa stated this in Abuja at the ongoing ministerial briefing to commemorate 2012 Democracy Day and anniversary of President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration. He said the move was part of government efforts to boost the
economy through space technology.

The minister enumerated the country’s
space programme from now to 2028
when it expects to launch a made-in-
Nigeria satellite into space. “In 2015 we are preparing to launch NigeriaSAR-1 satellite. The NigeriaSAR is a security satellite with an acronym that stands for Synthetic Aperture Radar. “This satellite will have a very high resolution that can cover kilometres,and for a backup of the communication satellite there will be NigeriaSat-2 and NigeriaSat-3.

That should be NigeriaCOMsat-2 and nigeriaCOMsat-3

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by dragon2(m): 8:40pm On Dec 24, 2013
Slight digression but interesting read :

At that seminar, the question before the assembly was how to put the Satellite in the orbit. When I say, orbit, I mean geo-stationery orbit. The Americans, after thorough research, discovered that the only way to launch a better Satellite was to put it right into the Geo stationary Orbit.
Incidentally, Nigeria was found to be located 29 degrees local angle to the orbit, about 46,000 miles away which means that the orbit was very low to Nigeria.
Right there, we had to liaise with them and they had to bring a boat, the dome with a complete set of network command and a recording station. They actually launched the Satellite in Texas, America but was controlled in our office in marina, Lagos, Nigeria. cool cool Although Russia first launched a satellite, it was however not in the Geo-stationery orbit. So the American Satellite was the first that went to the geo stationary orbit single channel.
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/02/how-nigeria-controlled-first-american-satellite-%E2%80%94-engr-haffner/#sthash.PYBoluFY.dpuf

(1) (2) (3) ... (909) (910) (911) (912) (913) (914) (915) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.