Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,144 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1301820 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 9:02pm On Mar 09, 2018
some people go say dem no fit live for London because e full of naija pipu...now dem go dey crave naija food ntoi grin grin

They are usually available in African shops, if not Nigerian bread, it will be Ghanian or at worse Jamaican hard dough bread

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 9:05pm On Mar 09, 2018
https://www.johnandbiola.co.uk/bread-2

not sure if these guys do delivery..

and seeing as you are well versed in DIY now you can also DIY agege bread at home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iQSSekbxKg

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 1:07am On Mar 10, 2018
DisGuy:
some people go say dem no fit live for London because e full of naija pipu...now dem go dey crave naija food ntoi grin grin

They are usually available in African shops, if not Nigerian bread, it will be Ghanian or at worse Jamaican hard dough bread

I wee come london buy d bread after all I am my father's daughter. grin. I go try d DIY if my hawk like nature of watching d gas meter go gree me, d fear of bills.

Thanks for the good reminder maybe I will start baking and selling#businessidealoading

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:01am On Mar 10, 2018
fatima04:

I wee come london buy d bread after all I am my father's daughter. grin. I go try d DIY if my hawk like nature of watching d gas meter go gree me, d fear of bills.

Thanks for the good reminder maybe I will start baking and selling#businessidealoading

Talking about that I got a hot agege bread from angels bakery in Peckham London yesterday with moinmoin

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 11:27am On Mar 10, 2018
fatima04:
Pls house suggestion on where to get sweet bread like naija been trying some but not getting na salty bread I dey get.

And also why is everything quoted or made with bacon or pork now?? You see sth looking attractive, u buy and den discover u can't eat grin grin

I buy 'agege bread' from a Nigerian food shop in Glasgow. The bread is made in London.

But usually, the best sliced bread I buy weekly is from M&S Food. It's called 'Brioche Loaf'. I love that bread!! It's so delicious and not salty or bland like every other british bread.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 4:02pm On Mar 10, 2018
Thats because its French. They sell it in regular supermarkets too. I like the Sainsbury's brioche bread

Hot angel bread with togolese beans hmmm sunday evening chops

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 1:34pm On Mar 11, 2018
spacyzuma:

I buy 'agege bread' from a Nigerian food shop in Glasgow. The bread is made in London.

But usually, the best sliced bread I buy weekly is from M&S Food. It's called 'Brioche Loaf'. I love that bread!! It's so delicious and not salty or bland like every other british bread.

Oh yeah, brioche bread is so great. My preference is the one from Tesco, they even have the rolls sprinkled with chocolate! Chai pure heaven!

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 1:35pm On Mar 11, 2018
DisGuy:
https://www.johnandbiola.co.uk/bread-2

not sure if these guys do delivery..

and seeing as you are well versed in DIY now you can also DIY agege bread at home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iQSSekbxKg

Wow I’m so going to try this. I can’t bake to save my life, so it will be nice to learn to make this agege bread!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 2:33am On Mar 13, 2018
Aphrodite007:

Oh yeah, brioche bread is so great. My preference is the one from Tesco, they even have the rolls sprinkled with chocolate! Chai pure heaven!

that bread wey be like poff poff...I went looking for the bread as if na Some Willi Wonka Special...mstchew...Bought it sha...I prefer Tesco pancakes, just microwave for 30secs and breakfast is ready...Have you tried Asparagus?!...Very nice and then some.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 2:13pm On Mar 13, 2018
Geetrix:

that bread wey be like poff poff...I went looking for the bread as if na Some Willi Wonka Special...mstchew...Bought it sha...I prefer Tesco pancakes, just microwave for 30secs and breakfast is ready...Have you tried Asparagus?!...Very nice and then some.

grin grin e say na puff puff! Asparagus ke, ew! I have seen it before.. and that's all I did, "see it!". Yeah my friend was obsessed with the pancakes..
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 2:50pm On Mar 13, 2018
Hello All!

New migrant alert here. This thread has been great, thanks a lot to all who have contributed.

Pls my perspective is slightly different. I'm a Tier5 dependent (Wife) and we all moved with our 3 children. It has honestly been unbelievably expensive and we still have not settled in a house we like.. have been doing short stay which is very expensive.

Anyhoo, we are North and even though I honestly won't be able to work for at least a year or two coz I have small children, I want to invest the time wisely doing courses etc that will allow me be immediately relevant when I'm ready. So for those with knowledge pls help your sister... which areas are perpetually hot in the U.K. especially the Scotland area. Pls note that - I have over 10 years experience in Entrepreneurial endeavors/Business management. - No passion for IT or Medical fields plus Hubby na d medic. - For now considering Social work or Project Mgt or Event Mgt (Events coz I have a passion there) but I don't know if it pays this side.

I honestly have never not contributed to the household purse and I dey pity Oga as I'm seeing how the money is vanishing.. won't even mind ideas on what I can do online at home from now to earn in the U.K. Pls oh my peeps give me ideas based on your wealth of knowledge. Many thanks.

Cc: @Aphrodite007 @fatima04 and all the other greats on the thread. Pls don't waka pass. Thank you.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bossman(m): 6:26pm On Mar 13, 2018
IT and the medical fields are 2 of the hottest fields right now. Project Management is definitely a good one to get into as well. Especially if you can get the PMP certification (I thinks it's called the same in the UK too). I am US based, however I have family there in the UK. My younger brother is an IT project Manager. And he is doing quite well. Social Work or Management are okay, but finding a job in those fields may not be easy.

Mamatukwas:
No passion for IT or Medical fields plus Hubby na d medic. - For now considering Social work or Project Mgt or Event Mgt (Events coz I have a passion there) but I don't know if it pays this side.

I honestly have never not contributed to the household purse and I dey pity Oga as I'm seeing how the money is vanishing.. won't even mind ideas on what I can do online at home from now to earn in the U.K. Pls oh my peeps give me ideas based on your wealth of knowledge. Many thanks.

Cc: @Aphrodite007 @fatima04 and all the other greats on the thread. Pls don't waka pass. Thank you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 8:21pm On Mar 13, 2018
Bossman:
IT and the medical fields are 2 of the hottest fields right now. Project Management is definitely a good one to get into as well. Especially if you can get the PMP certification (I thinks it's called the same in the UK too). I am US based, however I have family there in the UK. My younger brother is an IT project Manager. And he is doing quite well. Social Work or Management are okay, but finding a job in those fields may not be easy.

Thank you Sir. Taking notes. Medicine and IT really doesn't do it for me as regards passion and I really would like to enjoy my job small smiley Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 8:42pm On Mar 13, 2018
Mamatukwas:
Hello All!

New migrant alert here. This thread has been great, thanks a lot to all who have contributed.

Pls my perspective is slightly different. I'm a Tier5 dependent (Wife) and we all moved with our 3 children. It has honestly been unbelievably expensive and we still have not settled in a house we like.. have been doing short stay which is very expensive.

Anyhoo, we are North and even though I honestly won't be able to work for at least a year or two coz I have small children, I want to invest the time wisely doing courses etc that will allow me be immediately relevant when I'm ready. So for those with knowledge pls help your sister... which areas are perpetually hot in the U.K. especially the Scotland area. Pls note that - I have over 10 years experience in Entrepreneurial endeavors/Business management. - No passion for IT or Medical fields plus Hubby na d medic. - For now considering Social work or Project Mgt or Event Mgt (Events coz I have a passion there) but I don't know if it pays this side.

There are a lot of Project Manager and Business analyst roles since your background is business related. check out this and see if it is suitable for you: https://www.careerinsights.tv/free-trial/aaaaaaahSCS

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 10:33pm On Mar 13, 2018
dustydee:

There are a lot of Project Manager and Business analyst roles since your background is business related. check out this and see if it is suitable for you: https://www.careerinsights.tv/free-trial/aaaaaaahSCS

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 10:42pm On Mar 13, 2018
Mamatukwas:

Thank you very much!
Take a look at jobserve.co.uk to get an idea of what Business analyst or PM role requirements are.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 10:59pm On Mar 13, 2018
dustydee:

Take a look at jobserve.co.uk to get an idea of what Business analyst or PM role requirements are.

Ok. Doing so now. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:18pm On Mar 13, 2018
Welcome to the UK mamatukwas, I am still a learner so far in this UK hustle oo, I get wanting to contribute to income it's not easy.

Depending on ur kids age, u may want to start searching schools to put them in, I know for 3yrs old kids get like some hrs in a yr free which is like 3 hrs free per day or so.

If you don't have ur NI and driving license u may use d opportunity to get that processes sorted and den register on reed, indeed, total jobs to register for job searches. Also u may want to target trainee PM jobs, the PMP is a good have dough even at dt some told me dey need at least 6months UK experience with driving license but we keep looking.

In d meantime u can try search for recruiting agencies for part time jobs as production assistants and all, you can ask around your location.

Also, settle ur house asap because d cost will soon start piling up. If I remember any thing else I will add and I am sure the elders will soon come and shed more light on the issue.

Enjoy yr stay.

N.B:- always tailor ur CV and cover letter to suit the job advertised as long as it is related

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 1:16am On Mar 14, 2018
fatima04:
Welcome to the UK mamatukwas, I am still a learner so far in this UK hustle oo, I get wanting to contribute to income it's not easy.

Depending on ur kids age, u may want to start searching schools to put them in, I know for 3yrs old kids get like some hrs in a yr free which is like 3 hrs free per day or so.

If you don't have ur NI and driving license u may use d opportunity to get that processes sorted and den register on reed, indeed, total jobs to register for job searches. Also u may want to target trainee PM jobs, the PMP is a good have dough even at dt some told me dey need at least 6months UK experience with driving license but we keep looking.

In d meantime u can try search for recruiting agencies for part time jobs as production assistants and all, you can ask around your location.

Also, settle ur house asap because d cost will soon start piling up. If I remember any thing else I will add and I am sure the elders will soon come and shed more light on the issue.

Enjoy yr stay.

N.B:- always tailor ur CV and cover letter to suit the job advertised as long as it is related

Thanks alot. Il do as you advised. We are waiting to find a house before school because of catchment area related tins.. I think it's to focus on drivers license and see how the project management thing will work as I have NI from my time here previously as a student. Looking forward to any updates too. Regards.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 11:51am On Mar 14, 2018
Mamatukwas:
Hello All!

At the bolded, these are the kind of women I like, kudos! I truly understand what you are going through, it may even take him a while to settle down, seeing as there are kids involved, but just relax and tell yourself that you are in a land of countless opportunities that will sort itself out!

During these two years, you can be selling stuff on ebay or amazon. You can even cook Nigerian meals and advertise for the Nigerians there to patronise you. You can go as far as sell already-made ingredients/items to Nigerian students (e.g agege bread); people like me that love naija food will definitely patronise you if i were in Scotland. You are in the UK and the wifi is fully functional, watch lots of videos and learn to make these things. At the end of the day, you might decide to not even return to the professional world and just rely on your skills!

However, I also support your idea of doing online courses, it will help expand your knowledge base as per your field. I am a BA (IT side not finance), and I know that its a lucrative profession, but gap years kind of have a silly effect on peoples CVs. But please, chase on, I always encourage people to pursue knowledge. You also mentioned PM, which is a good field, but why don't flex your entrepreneurial fingers and make money from your cooking skills, to be able to afford the fees for the Prince2 exams.

Anyway, your first stop is to check Facebook for Nigerians in the neighbourhood. Reach out to them, attend their meetings, if any, or holla at them on their Facebook group, if any. Even at Church too, mix with Nigerians, and showcase your skills to them. That's where you will get customers from.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 3:06pm On Mar 14, 2018
Aphrodite007:

At the bolded, these are the kind of women I like, kudos! I truly understand what you are going through, it may even take him a while to settle down, seeing as there are kids involved, but just relax and tell yourself that you are in a land of countless opportunities that will sort itself out!

During these two years, you can be selling stuff on ebay or amazon. You can even cook Nigerian meals and advertise for the Nigerians there to patronise you. You can go as far as sell already-made ingredients/items to Nigerian students (e.g agege bread); people like me that love naija food will definitely patronise you if i were in Scotland. You are in the UK and the wifi is fully functional, watch lots of videos and learn to make these things. At the end of the day, you might decide to not even return to the professional world and just rely on your skills!

However, I also support your idea of doing online courses, it will help expand your knowledge base as per your field. I am a BA (IT side not finance), and I know that its a lucrative profession, but gap years kind of have a silly effect on peoples CVs. But please, chase on, I always encourage people to pursue knowledge. You also mentioned PM, which is a good field, but why don't flex your entrepreneurial fingers and make money from your cooking skills, to be able to afford the fees for the Prince2 exams.

Anyway, your first stop is to check Facebook for Nigerians in the neighbourhood. Reach out to them, attend their meetings, if any, or holla at them on their Facebook group, if any. Even at Church too, mix with Nigerians, and showcase your skills to them. That's where you will get customers from.

Kai thank you soooo much! This your feedback entered my soul! I've thought about cooking oh.. but if I tell you I've only seen 1 other black guy since we got here you won't blv it. Our town is 98% white- About an hour outside Glasgow. It's not an excuse though... il use the internet and reach out to the whole Scotland sef if I decide that's the way to go. I've thought about selling too, just not sure what yet but still thinking.. Anyway, thanks a lot you really understand and have given me food for thought. God bless you.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:55am On Mar 16, 2018
Happy Friday people, how is the weather treating you all?
Feedback on bread escapade grin
Tesco brioche bread ✌�. I lovvvvit. smiley smiley. I like food no blame me

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 9:18am On Mar 16, 2018
fatima04:
Happy Friday people, how is the weather treating you all?
Feedback on bread escapade grin
Tesco brioche bread ✌�. I lovvvvit. smiley smiley. I like food no blame me

Yay! I have initiated somebody grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 2:47pm On Mar 16, 2018
Aphrodite007:

Yay! I have initiated somebody grin

Had mine with bacon, egg, cheese and jam. Its alright.
But right now, Tesco hash browns is still my top breakfast. Anybody tried the garlic flat bread... You have to bake for a few minutes b4 eating sha. And there's another you bake too that looks like the brioche.... This brioche na just poff poff

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 2:54pm On Mar 16, 2018
Geetrix:

But right now, Tesco hash browns is still my top breakfast. Anybody tried the garlic flat bread... You have to bake for a few minutes b4 eating sha. And there's another you bake too that looks like the brioche.... This brioche na just poff poff

Garlic bread...urgh!!
Cheese...urgh!!!

I still hate them and avoid them.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 3:04pm On Mar 16, 2018
Geetrix:

oyinbo puff puff grin

I haven't tried those though but I will look forward to the hash browns!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 6:57pm On Mar 16, 2018
u hate laughing cow cheese too? cheese spread...Marmite nko?
spacyzuma:

Garlic bread...urgh!!
Cheese...urgh!!!

I still hate them and avoid them.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mutendiwashe(f): 11:09am On Mar 17, 2018
fatima04:

Na wa oo. Winter booty call of laif grin
lol tell me about it
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mutendiwashe(f): 11:12am On Mar 17, 2018
Nothing like enjoying a little sun
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 12:15pm On Mar 17, 2018
Geetrix:
u hate laughing cow cheese too? cheese spread...Marmite nko?

I avoid anything that has cheese.
When I order pizza, I always ask for 'no cheese'
Don't think I've had marmite yet.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 5:08pm On Mar 17, 2018
Geetrix:

Lol, you too like food, all this in one sitting grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 6:14pm On Mar 21, 2018
Seriously guys, what does it take to own and maintain a car in the UK?

Cc: disguy
Justwise
Spacyzuma
Aphrodite 007

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.