Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (119) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1301929 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Braquecasso: 4:18am On Feb 16, 2019
sutelk:

So them de give parking ticket for naija? cheesy
Anyway, I don't think you have anything to worry about in that regard. Not sure but I think I've come across a statement somewhere that excludes traffic offences. But even if traffic offences are not exempted I wouldn't mention it in my application or when I go to apply for a criminal record certificate at alagbon.
Once you pay it 7k at alagbon you get your criminal record certificate and case closed. That is our naija for you.
I was amazed how fast my criminal record certificate was processed, even had to ask myself if it was authentic. Don't think those guys check anything. They just collect money and give you the thing.

Oh wow. Thanks a lot then.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:16am On Feb 16, 2019
Shawtykel:

He traveled this year January and before I put in the application, it would be late march as I'm yet to put the 28days maintenance funds in a single account

Then I think you should wait a it, getting a job now is hard and the brexit is not helping at all. Things may start looking up job wise from April up and he will be able to work and save up for application.

I don't think that leaving those young kids behind is a good idea.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Greenfriend: 9:44am On Feb 16, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Any link to an agency that can assist with jobs from that end?
Sorry, mate. I'm a medical doctor and my route to working in UK is specific as a professional. Don't know about others. Depending on your situation, U can try a Masters. Good luck
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:50am On Feb 16, 2019
Greenfriend:

Sorry, mate. I'm a medical doctor and my route to working in UK is specific as a professional. Don't know about others. Depending on your situation, U can try a Masters. Good luck

Thanks. However, there are agencies that help to recruit professionals, including medical doctors, those were the agencies I was asking for. Cheers.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Greenfriend: 9:51am On Feb 16, 2019
sutelk:

So them de give parking ticket for naija? cheesy
Anyway, I don't think you have anything to worry about in that regard. Not sure but I think I've come across a statement somewhere that excludes traffic offences. But even if traffic offences are not exempted I wouldn't mention it in my application or when I go to apply for a criminal record certificate at alagbon.
Once you pay it 7k at alagbon you get your criminal record certificate and case closed. That is our naija for you.
I was amazed how fast my criminal record certificate was processed, even had to ask myself if it was authentic. Don't think those guys check anything. They just collect money and give you the thing.
LOL. U are right.The flexibility of the Nigerian system is what I miss here. Even in my doctors' quarters here, U need to pay monthly for a parking ticket for your car. U pay for everything�
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Greenfriend: 9:56am On Feb 16, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Thanks. However, there are agencies that help to recruit professionals, including medical doctors, those were the agencies I was asking for. Cheers.
Yeah. There are agencies who recruit but that's usually after U have done your own homework (for my profession, U have to pass IELTS and PLAB 1 & 2 exams, then apply for registration with the UK medical council). I got my job myself after applying through the NHS Jobs website and having interviews on Skype while in Nigeria. Some colleagues got through agents (some who make empty promises). Different strikes for different folks, mate
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 1:02pm On Feb 16, 2019
Greenfriend:

Yeah. There are agencies who recruit but that's usually after U have done your own homework (for my profession, U have to pass IELTS and PLAB 1 & 2 exams, then apply for registration with the UK medical council). I got my job myself after applying through the NHS Jobs website and having interviews on Skype while in Nigeria. Some colleagues got through agents (some who make empty promises). Different strikes for different folks, mate

More success to you going forward. Thanks for sparing ur time.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Shawtykel: 1:07pm On Feb 16, 2019
justwise:

Then I think you should wait a it, getting a job now is hard and the brexit is not helping at all. Things may start looking up job wise from April up and he will be able to work and save up for application.

I don't think that leaving those young kids behind is a good idea.

P.S Hubby tier 4 visa is for one year plus 4 extra months.

Yes I know leaving them behind is not a good idea but then the funds for four of us at the same time is not available and hubby is yet to get a job.
Coming with them now will may not let me work as much as I want considering the fact that child care is very expensive over there.

In Nigeria, they're in safe hands, my mom is 45yrs old plus my sisters and Mother in law are ready to double the help.
I really need to know the implications of applying alone without them? If it's a red flag?
@Justwise, yes April is better for me to come in

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 2:40pm On Feb 16, 2019
Shawtykel:

Yes I know leaving them behind is not a good idea but then the funds for four of us at the same time is not available and hubby is yet to get a job.
Coming with them now will may not let me work as much as I want considering the fact that child care is very expensive over there.

In Nigeria, they're in safe hands, my mom is 45yrs old plus my sisters and Mother in law are ready to double the help.
I really need to know the implications of applying alone without them? If it's a red flag?
in

I looked at the official document and it doesn't state that spouse dependant must apply with children. It states dependant can apply together or separately

If your kids are in goods hands i think you can go ahead and submit your application. Just ensure you meet all the requirements

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 4:08pm On Feb 16, 2019
Shawtykel:

@Justwise, yes April is better for me to come in

My only concern is their ages which makes it difficult to come up with any justifiable excus to leave them behind.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 4:58pm On Feb 16, 2019
justwise:

My only concern is their ages which makes it difficult to come up with any justifiable excus to leave them behind.

Does she need an excuse though? Is she not within her rights to choose to apply with her kids or go ahead? Just asking.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Shawtykel: 5:03pm On Feb 16, 2019
Shawtykel:
Happy Valentine to this wonderful family..

Please I have an issue that's bothering me and I'll need an advice whether to go ahead or not.
My husband is in UK on a tier 4 visa, we have three kids. He wants me to come over asap to support him since I'll be working full time as his is limited.

The issue now is we don't have the finances to apply for me and my three kids together..
Can I apply alone and come back to pick my kids after we've been able to save up hopefully in three months?
Are there implications to this of not taking my kids @ the moment?
What possible best reasons do I have to give for not taking my kids along? (my mum lives us so they're used to her and mother in law is also ready to join her)
Any case like mine ever? Just wondering

P.S my kids are 4years and 2years old twins
@Justwise @fatima04 and everyone who can help
Thank you all

Please I really need to know if there are implications to this of not taking my kids @ the moment?
What possible best reasons do I have to give for not taking my kids along?
Any case like mine ever?

Like I previously said hubby is on tier 4 visa for one year and I really need to hustle to support him while hoping he gets a switch to tier 2 before his one year elapses or I get tier 2 while in UK then come for our kids.
Thanks a lot
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 5:08pm On Feb 16, 2019
Shawtykel:
Happy Valentine to this wonderful family..

Please I have an issue that's bothering me and I'll need an advice whether to go ahead or not.
My husband is in UK on a tier 4 visa, we have three kids. He wants me to come over asap to support him since I'll be working full time as his is limited.

The issue now is we don't have the finances to apply for me and my three kids together..
Can I apply alone and come back to pick my kids after we've been able to save up hopefully in three months?
Are there implications to this of not taking my kids @ the moment?
What possible best reasons do I have to give for not taking my kids along? (my mum lives us so they're used to her and mother in law is also ready to join her)
Any case like mine ever? Just wondering

P.S my kids are 4years and 2years old twins
@Justwise @fatima04 and everyone who can help
Thank you all

Mamatukwas:

Does she need an excuse though? Is she not within her rights to choose to apply with her kids or go ahead? Just asking.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Heritagee: 5:36pm On Feb 16, 2019
I don't think you need to explain why you are not applying with the kids. I know of someone who left a 2-month old baby to join her husband. The baby joined them when he was 6 months
Shawtykel:

Please I really need to know if there are implications to this of not taking my kids @ the moment?
Any case like mine ever?

Like I previously said hubby is on tier 4 visa for one year and I really need to hustle to support him while hoping he gets a switch to tier 2 before his one year elapses or I get tier 2 while in UK then come for our kids.
Thanks a lot

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 5:55pm On Feb 16, 2019
Heritagee:
I don't think you need to explain why you are not applying with the kids. I know of someone who left a 2-month old baby to join her husband. The baby joined them when he was 6 months

That is heartless and irresponsible

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by queengift(f): 6:35pm On Feb 16, 2019
Heritagee:

people have mind sha, I can't ooo

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 7:23pm On Feb 16, 2019
justwise:

Na... you cant say that.... it unfair to say it irresponsible . People situation differ .

My friend left her 4 months to go do masters in USA. The baby was with her mum who did a fabulous job. It paid off as the whole family is now settled in the USA . When i had my kids my mum who came for Omugwo did a better job self than me.....

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 7:27pm On Feb 16, 2019
justwise:

Don’t judge Bro. Sometimes choices aren’t so clear cut. Most mother’s won’t take that kind of decision lightly.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 7:47pm On Feb 16, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Na... you cant say that.... it unfair to say it irresponsible . People situation differ .

My friend left her 4 months to go do masters in USA. The baby was with her mum who did a fabulous job. It paid off as the whole family is now settled in the USA . When i had my kids my mum who came for Omugwo did a better job self than me.....

Mamatukwas:

Don’t judge Bro. Sometimes choices aren’t so clear cut. Most mother’s won’t take that kind of decision lightly.

I couldn't be nicer by saying that leaving a 2 month old baby to travel abroad is heartless and iresponsible.

If your mother will look after your own baby better than you then you need to spend more time with your kid rather than chasing career and money

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:31pm On Feb 16, 2019
Justwise wielding the parenting bulala today ó.... grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 8:47pm On Feb 16, 2019
justwise:

I couldn't be nicer by saying that leaving a 2 month old baby to travel abroad is heartless and iresponsible.

If your mother will look after your own baby better than you then you need to spend more time with your kid rather than chasing career and money

smiley cheesy grin..... thankfully i am living my life on my own terms not on justwise standard .....

That i said she was better doesnt mean i am not good.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:03pm On Feb 16, 2019
LagosismyHome:

smiley cheesy grin..... thankfully i am living my life on my own terms not on justwise standard .....

That i said she was better doesnt mean i am not good.

My minimum standard is that you can't leave a 2months old baby to travel abroad for studies and if you sees that as high standard then we are talking about child neglect here.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:29pm On Feb 16, 2019
Shawtykel:

Any case like mine ever?

Thanks a lot

Although i am not 100 percent sure because i haven't done a UK application in years now. But usually Uk is pointbased and you submit your applications. If you have the requirements then you are given. No long story

In processes like that i dont think you are asked why or why not. It your choice to make .

My friend here on work visa . Husband and wife did application without the children. She even went for walk in interview in Croydon carrying a child. Lol. The application officer said but they have no child on the application. They said yes they know and dont want to spend that money until they get indefinite and file for the kids. The officer said ok and process husband and wife . Just warning them that it means their kids cannot leave the country as they have no papers to return. Both kids were born in uk after the inital application.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 10:49pm On Feb 16, 2019
Shawtykel:

Any case like mine ever?

Thanks a lot

My son was born December 2014
I came to the UK on a T4 Visa in November 2016.
My wife joined me in June 2017 (left the 3year old son with grandma).
Wife got a job an we saved enough to have the maintenance money for a dependant.
Applied for Son in January 2018.

Summary:
Me, wife, son have been here. We are gathering money now to apply for daughter (aged 10).

At no point did anyone ever ask why we were leaving the children.

But ...wait a minute. Did I read that your hubby’s T4 Visa is for only 1 year?

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 10:52pm On Feb 16, 2019
justwise:

My minimum standard is that you can't leave a 2months old baby to travel abroad for studies and if you sees that as high standard then we are talking about child neglect here.

No matter what Standard is used for measurement. Infact, even if there is no standard. Let’s call a spade a spade. It is inhuman and irresponsible for a parent to leave a 2-month old baby (nay, NEONATE) to go hustle.
It’s not fair on the little one.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 11:02pm On Feb 16, 2019
RalphJean:

My son was born December 2014
I came to the UK on a T4 Visa in November 2016.
My wife joined me in June 2017 (left the 3year old son with grandma).
Wife got a job an we saved enough to have the maintenance money for a dependant.
Applied for Son in January 2018.

Summary:
Me, wife, son have been here. We are gathering money now to apply for daughter (aged 10).

At no point did anyone ever ask why we were leaving the children.

But ...wait a minute. Did I read that your hubby’s T4 Visa is for only 1 year?

That should be 18months visa.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 11:05pm On Feb 16, 2019
RalphJean:

No matter what Standard is used for measurement. Infact, even if there is no standard. Let’s call a spade a spade. It is inhuman and irresponsible for a parent to leave a 2-month old baby (nay, NEONATE) to go hustle.
It’s not fair on the little one.

I can go as far as calling it child abuse.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 5:49am On Feb 17, 2019
Nigerians and their judgemental attitudes sha , anyway God deh.

If the conditions in Nigeria was okay , I don’t think people will be making certain decisions lightly. Different strokes for different individuals. There are parents in the uk that have their kids here and send them back to Nigeria for the gran parents to look after. That doesn’t make them bad parents.

It will be much better if we try to respect the decisions that people make instead of judging them. The conditions in the UK are much better now but in the 70s and 80s it was very difficult to get childcare here, parents had to leave their kids with nannies outside of their counties to enable them work and school, does that mean that they were bad parents? “Na condition make crayfish bend” .

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 8:26am On Feb 17, 2019
marylandcakes:
Nigerians and their judgemental attitudes sha , anyway God deh.

If the conditions in Nigeria was okay , I don’t think people will be making certain decisions lightly. Different strokes for different individuals. There are parents in the uk that have their kids here and send them back to Nigeria for the gran parents to look after. That doesn’t make them bad parents.

It will be much better if we try to respect the decisions that people make instead of judging them. The conditions in the UK are much better now but in the 70s and 80s it was very difficult to get childcare here, parents had to leave their kids with nannies outside of their counties to enable them work and school, does that mean that they were bad parents? “Na codition make crayfish bend” .

Call it judgmental or whichever name you like I'm cool with it but my point still remain that a 2 month old baby should not be treated that way.

How will you keep in touch with a two month old baby as a mother? You can't call to speak to him/her, you can't even do video call because that little baby will not recognise you.

This has very little to do with Nigerian condition but a lot to do with a flawed decision.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 8:52am On Feb 17, 2019
justwise:

Call it judgmental or whichever name you like I'm cool with it but my point still remain that a 2 month old baby should not be treated that way.

How will you keep in touch with a two month old baby as a mother? You can't call to speak to him/her, you can't even do video call because that little baby will not recognise you.

This has very little to do with Nigerian condition but a lot to do with a flawed decision.

I understand where you are coming from, but your statements come more from your heart and more from an emotional point of view. Sometimes we have to strip out the emotions and make practical decisions based on the reality of the situations.

I don’t know much about rules of visa applications that’s why I don’t contribute much to it, but this lady says that money is a limiting factor at the present time now, she has to join her husband to help and then bring her baby later. Some people on this thread have already advised that there will be no problem in bringing her baby later. I’m sure this lady, as a mother already feels bad enough, you don’t have to make her feel worst than she already feels. In her mind this is the sacrifice that she has got to make now for a better future for that baby. In years to come when she tells her child the story of her sacrifice, that child will thank her, adore her and look up to her. Cos like most people have said on this thread it’s a heartbreaking decision for any parent to make.

18 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Heritagee: 9:29am On Feb 17, 2019
Almost everybody saw it as being heartless and irresponsible then but she needed to do it to support her husband who was studying then. The boy was left with a grandma and her niece who did excellent even more than what the mother would have done. After all, he joined his parents after 4 months.
It is not easy for any mother to leave her child/ren. I left my 4-year old boy with my mum and I still feel terrible about it, cried for days after my arrival but it's for better. Na condition dey make crayfish bend o my brother, no mother will be happy to leave her child/ren in the care of someone else
justwise:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:38am On Feb 17, 2019
marylandcakes:

I understand where you are coming from, but your statements come more from your heart and more from an emotional point of view. Sometimes we have to strip out the emotions and make practical decisions based on the reality of the situations.

I don’t know much about rules of visa applications that’s why I don’t contribute much to it, but this lady says that money is a limiting factor at the present time now, she has to join her husband to help and then bring her baby later. Some people on this thread have already advised that there will be no problem in bringing her baby later. I’m sure this lady, as a mother already feels bad enough, you don’t have to make her feel worst than she already feels. In her mind this is the sacrifice that she has got to make now for a better future for that baby. In years to come when she tells her child the story of her sacrifice, that child will thank her, adore her and look up to her. Cos like most people have said on this thread it’s a heartbreaking decision for any parent to make.

Quite frankly I don't think you get me and you are mixing two issues together here, leaving a two months baby to travel abroad for studies is cruel and irresponsible, yes it's not against immigration rule but it's against humanity.

I did not advise the lady against traveling to join the husband, I was only telling her to wait abit as job is hard to come by now in the UK and that I can't think of any justifiable reasons why those 3 young kids should be left behind.

You can't make a sacrifice in detriment of your own kids, yes I know some Nigerians who left their kids in Nigeria or send them back to school in Nigeria but those kids are fully formed young adults and not babies who can barely walk let a lone talk.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.