Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,943 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (116) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1305392 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 6:04pm On Feb 08, 2019
Have you tried using one of the compare the market sites. My current insurance company just billed me £700+ of which another company quote me £339. Hopefully this helps also https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Also if you get no claims for naija, try collect and see if one of the companies will accept (some don't). I have 15 years no claims combined with naija own smiley

Inkredible:
Congratulations to all the recent drivers in the house. All pass na pass, so far you get that Full UK Driver's license.

Now let us pull heads together and start looking for cheap insurance. To pay 1500 to 2000+ dey do me somehow for body. angry

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 6:36pm On Feb 08, 2019
Hello house Ii received a call from this no 0300200 3554 Today, Telling me that the HMRC have mentioned my name in a fraud case and that I should press one or else they willl come to arrest I didn’t press one instead I ended the call. I then went on and Googled the number and found out that some other people have been receiving this same call. I also registered the number as an unwanted number on google. If you go on google you will find out that this number has been received by people in the uk in several towns. please don’t press one as instructed if you happen to receive this call, instead end the call and report on google.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:41pm On Feb 08, 2019
marylandcakes:
Hello house Ii received a call from this no 0300200 3554 Today, Telling me that the HMRC have mentioned my name in a fraud case and that I should press one or else they willl come to arrest I didn’t press one instead I ended the call. I then went on and Googled the number and found out that some other people have been receiving this same call. I also registered the number as an unwanted number on google. If you go on google you will find out that this number has been received by people in the uk in several towns. please don’t press one as instructed if you happen to receive this call, instead end the call and report on google.

You have not yet received any emails from TV licence, PayPal, British Gas and BT, yet?.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 7:56pm On Feb 08, 2019
marylandcakes:

Hummm i got this letter from my accountant this week. ... let me share

February 07, 2019

Dear 'xxxxxxx

We have had instances where some of our clients have received phone calls and emails from scammers pretending to be HMRC. As our esteemed client, we want to alert you about such scam calls and emails and what to do in case you receive one.

There are two main categories of scams going around at the moment:

1. Telephone Scam - In this kind of scam, the fraudsters are cloning phone numbers used by HM Revenue and Customs so that it appears as if the phone calls are coming from HMRC.

The most common phone numbers usually used for such scam calls are:

0300 200 3300;
0300 200 3538;
0113 157 6234;
0300 051 5219;

When you pick the call, you will hear an automated message and then be put through to someone pretending to be an HMRC officer. The caller will tell you that you are being investigated by HMRC and you have an overdue Tax relating to tax avoidance or evasion and they need you to pay them immediately over the phone failing which they will send the police to arrest you.

What to do if you get such a call?

You should end the call immediately and block the phone number on your mobile phone. Do not under any circumstances give out your personal details or make any payment over the phone. Call us immediately if you receive such a call so that we can check directly with HMRC and make sure you do not have any outstanding payments to be made.

2. Email Scam - This kind of scam is usually easier to spot. Under this, you will receive an email from what seems like a genuine HMRC email address. The content of the email will generally indicate that you are due a tax refund from HMRC. The email will then direct you to click on a link and submit your bank details for the refund to be transferred to your account.

What to do if you get such an email?

Any such email received should not be attended to and be deleted immediately. Do not under any circumstances click on any link or input your bank details. Please note that HMRC do not send out emails for any kind of tax refunds.

As a general rule, our advice to you is to not provide any personal or financial information over the phone or email.

Warm regards

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 9:04pm On Feb 08, 2019
Lexusgs430:

You have not yet received any emails from TV licence, PayPal, British Gas and BT, yet?.....

Yes I have, but this one is a phoe call and it’s very convincing.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 9:08pm On Feb 08, 2019
LagosismyHome:

February 07, 2019

Dear 'xxxxxxx

We have had instances where some of our clients have received phone calls and emails from scammers pretending to be HMRC. As our esteemed client, we want to alert you about such scam calls and emails and what to do in case you receive one.

1. Telephone Scam - In this kind of scam, the fraudsters are cloning phone numbers used by HM Revenue and Customs so that it appears as if the phone calls are coming from HMRC.

0300 200 3300;
0300 200 3538;
0113 157 6234;
0300 051 5219;

When you pick the call, you will hear an automated message and then be put through to someone pretending to be an HMRC officer. The caller will tell you that you are being investigated by HMRC and you have an overdue Tax relating to tax avoidance or evasion and they need you to pay them immediately over the phone failing which they will send the police to arrest you.

You should end the call immediately and block the phone number on your mobile phone. Do not under any circumstances give out your personal details or make any payment over the phone. Call us immediately if you receive such a call so that we can check directly with HMRC and make sure you do not have any outstanding payments to be made.

2. Email Scam - This kind of scam is usually easier to spot. Under this, you will receive an email from what seems like a genuine HMRC email address. The content of the email will generally indicate that you are due a tax refund from HMRC. The email will then direct you to click on a link and submit your bank details for the refund to be transferred to your account.

Any such email received should not be attended to and be deleted immediately. Do not under any circumstances click on any link or input your bank details. Please note that HMRC do not send out emails for any kind of tax refunds.

As a general rule, our advice to you is to not provide any personal or financial information over the phone or email.

Warm regards

This phone. Scam started around the 6th February 2019.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by damoche64: 9:54pm On Feb 08, 2019
Pls, Is there insurance coy that accept Nigeria driving experience & how can I get no claim evidence from Nigeria insurance coy?
Thanks

Bourne007:
Have you tried using one of the compare the market sites. My current insurance company just billed me £700+ of which another company quote me £339. Hopefully this helps also https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Also if you get no claims for naija, try collect and see if one of the companies will accept (some don't). I have 15 years no claims combined with naija own smiley

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:26pm On Feb 08, 2019
marylandcakes:

Not convincing enough for me.....

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 11:18pm On Feb 08, 2019
marylandcakes:

modified:
HMRC does call people.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 4:27am On Feb 09, 2019
dustydee:

But HMRC does not call people so how is it convincing? Get a phone call or email from HMRC and automatically it's a a scam.

I have a lot of dealings with HMRC, so yes I get a calls from them from time to time. We have got to be careful when making general sweeping comments.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:33am On Feb 09, 2019
marylandcakes:

I have a lot of dealings with HMRC, so yes I get a calls from them from time to time. We have got to be careful when making general sweeping comments.

But would they call you requesting tax demand payments to be made instantly by CC or DC?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 5:44am On Feb 09, 2019
Lexusgs430:

But would they call you requesting tax demand payments to be made instantly by CC or DC?

I can equally ask you , have you ever received a call from the inland revenue telling you that you might be arrested for fraud.

I never said they called me requesting payments, if you read my initial statement when I received that call, I only got suspicious when I was instructed to press one. Then I terminated it. I only brought it to this thread to warn people.

Also just so you know, the inland revenue sends out balliffs and court warrants to individuals and companies on its debtors list and also phone them.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:56am On Feb 09, 2019
marylandcakes:

I can equally ask you , have you ever received a call from the inland revenue telling you that you might be arrested for fraud.

I never said they called me requesting payments, if you read my initial statement when I received that call, I only got suspicious when I was instructed to press one. Then I terminated it. I only brought it to this thread to warn people.

Also just so you know, the inland revenue sends out balliffs and court warrants to individuals and companies on its debtors list and also phone them.

Have I had HMRC balliffs visit me before? YES

Have I ever received threatening letters from HMRC? YES

I don't entertain calls from HMRC, I simply direct them to my accountant, if they require any clarifications (well within my rights).......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:12am On Feb 09, 2019
marylandcakes:

Don't view my response in any way tackling your position, if anything at all, it's a positive banter to buttress this scamming point..........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 8:49am On Feb 09, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Don't view my response in any way tackling your position, if anything at all, it's a positive banter to buttress this scamming point..........

No problem... I understand
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 9:05am On Feb 09, 2019
marylandcakes:

I have just checked and you are right, HMRC does call people. Never heard of it before and made my comment based on what I believe I read on one of those documents sent to me my HMRC. I was wrong and will modify my comment.
It is still a "cheap" scam to me.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by coolcatamelia: 9:24am On Feb 09, 2019
LagosismyHome:

February 07, 2019

Dear 'xxxxxxx

0300 200 3300;
0300 200 3538;
0113 157 6234;
0300 051 5219;

Warm regards

I get both of those scam types often. I think people should be aware of those scams by now. There are so many warnings and reports filed by people about email and phone scams. Almost everyday I can read people complaining at sites like http://whycall.me and also social media about different phone scams. Beware of them, folks. Keep spreading the word to family.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 7:14pm On Feb 09, 2019
Lexusgs430:

The only time you would pass with only 3 driving lessons, is if you have been driving illegally in the UK for a while........

grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 7:15pm On Feb 09, 2019
deept:

10 if I can remember, it's been over two years now. Mostly getting used to the RHS drive and getting rid of naija habits, still have some still though.

Eh! You’re lying shocked

I’m in trouble grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:19pm On Feb 09, 2019
Aphrodite007:

grin grin

Beht nah true nah......

All that 9ja driving requires more than 3 hours full proper detox therapy............

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 7:26pm On Feb 09, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Beht nah true nah......

All that 9ja driving requires more than 3 hours full proper detox therapy............

I swear! I’ve got to learn to not use my horn to greet people, shout on idiots, bully other drivers, scare goats away.. and the list continues!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:29pm On Feb 09, 2019
Aphrodite007:

I swear! I’ve got to learn to not use my horn to greet people, shout on idiots, bully other drivers, scare goats away.. and the list continues!

You push that horn during your test, and the examiner deems it unnecessary............

Massive red tick, possible failure.........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Stoicbaba(m): 9:25pm On Feb 09, 2019
I am happy to have stumbled on this page for a while now. Studying it as if I am preparing to write Cambridge exams grin

Well, I hope my migrant journey starts well, taking into consideration all the information that has been shared here...

I may not mention your names, but trust me, you guys are gold.

Precisely on 25th Feb, I would have departed naija, enroute Blackburn, through Manchester, to begin a migrant life there.

Please, do not fail to guide me whenever I beckon on you guys, especially as I feel Blackburn doesnt have much blacks living there(don't know if that statement is true though).

I will specifically take note of brioche bread... cheesy cool

Thanks for the guidance, thus far...xoxo

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 3:47am On Feb 10, 2019
perfectme:
Hello house,

I've followed this thread from the beginning and I was earnestly hoping that someday I too will be able to share my experience of living in the UK.
And finally I got the break I was hoping for, got to UK late last year on a tier 2 visa.

I'm in Salisbury  ( Wiltshire ), it's a small but lovely town, there are few blacks here from different African countries cos by their accent you shall know them cheesy and some few Nigerians.

My flight down here was amazing, had a stop over at Dubai airport then finally Heathrow the next morning plus i got a window sit.

I had just one luggage which weighed 22kg plus one hand luggage, no food stuffs cos I like travelling light. Just my clothes plus winter kit .Was really prepared for that and was disappointed when I got to London and there was no snow cheesy ( don't yab me please grin )

My employer arranged an airport pick up for me plus accommodation so it was easy getting to my accomodation and they already got me a giffgaff sim card which only gave me unlimited phone calls and sms to UK numbers plus 3g data.

I've been able to get around town, got my BRP, opened an account with HSBC, registered with a gp and all

Found an asian store, the only one in Salisbury. They have basically everything from indomie to garri to yam, palm oil, egusi, semo even wooden mortar.

I generally do my shopping at tesco and pounland for groceries and charity shops for shoes and clothes in the mean time. I hope to upgrade when my account gets bigger wink. Plus I found the brioche bread at tesco kiss, I finally felt like I was eating bread after a long time, not all those tasteless oyinbo bread.

I've really learnt a lot from this thread and I'm happy to be here finally.
Just want to say thank you to all the people that added useful information to this thread and kept it going

P.S
I made my own UK survival guide from all the information I got here.

Congrats man. Wish us luck too as we navigate the crucible to trying to migrate.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:15am On Feb 10, 2019
Stoicbaba:
I am happy to have stumbled on this page for a while now. Studying it as if I am preparing to write Cambridge exams grin

Well, I hope my migrant journey starts well, taking into consideration all the information that has been shared here...

I may not mention your names, but trust me, you guys are gold.

Precisely on 25th Feb, I would have departed naija, enroute Blackburn, through Manchester, to begin a migrant life there.

Please, do not fail to guide me whenever I beckon on you guys, especially as I feel Blackburn doesnt have much blacks living there(don't know if that statement is true though).

I will specifically take note of brioche bread... cheesy cool

Thanks for the guidance, thus far...xoxo

Oga, before you depart..... You suppose carry me go joint (final point & kill delicacy)......... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 2:15pm On Feb 10, 2019
Bourne007:

£399 for first insurance?? In UK abi where? embarassed
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by CharisJay: 2:18pm On Feb 10, 2019
perfectme:
Hello house,

I've followed this thread from the beginning and I was earnestly hoping that someday I too will be able to share my experience of living in the UK.
And finally I got the break I was hoping for, got to UK late last year on a tier 2 visa.

I'm in Salisbury  ( Wiltshire ), it's a small but lovely town, there are few blacks here from different African countries cos by their accent you shall know them cheesy and some few Nigerians.

My flight down here was amazing, had a stop over at Dubai airport then finally Heathrow the next morning plus i got a window sit.

I had just one luggage which weighed 22kg plus one hand luggage, no food stuffs cos I like travelling light. Just my clothes plus winter kit .Was really prepared for that and was disappointed when I got to London and there was no snow cheesy ( don't yab me please grin )

My employer arranged an airport pick up for me plus accommodation so it was easy getting to my accomodation and they already got me a giffgaff sim card which only gave me unlimited phone calls and sms to UK numbers plus 3g data.

I've been able to get around town, got my BRP, opened an account with HSBC, registered with a gp and all

Found an asian store, the only one in Salisbury. They have basically everything from indomie to garri to yam, palm oil, egusi, semo even wooden mortar.

I generally do my shopping at tesco and pounland for groceries and charity shops for shoes and clothes in the mean time. I hope to upgrade when my account gets bigger wink. Plus I found the brioche bread at tesco kiss, I finally felt like I was eating bread after a long time, not all those tasteless oyinbo bread.

I've really learnt a lot from this thread and I'm happy to be here finally.
Just want to say thank you to all the people that added useful information to this thread and kept it going

P.S
I made my own UK survival guide from all the information I got here.

Congrats. I am considering a job at Salisbury. Can I email u pls. Need to know a thing or two about that town
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 2:20pm On Feb 10, 2019
Lexusgs430:

RIAS seems to be the daddy of pocket friendly quotes, considering all variables............

They don't cover my area. embarassed
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:21pm On Feb 10, 2019
Inkredible:

Exchush mi.........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:23pm On Feb 10, 2019
Inkredible:

Your area no dey map or no postcode ?.... A discriminating insurance company?... tongue
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Stoicbaba(m): 4:16pm On Feb 10, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Oga, before you depart..... You suppose carry me go joint (final point & kill delicacy).........

grin cheesy grin wait o...I have almost exhaust my little cash sef...as this waka na testimony for my village o grin grin grin

Anyway, that would've been nice cool
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by bigtt76(f): 5:26pm On Feb 10, 2019
Yes but if you're so sure of yourself not involved in any scam, you ought not to be afraid. HMRC would not call to inform you they're coming to arrest you naaa. They would rather come to your house and present charges to you in any.

marylandcakes:

(1) (2) (3) ... (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.