Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,591 members, 7,820,124 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (124) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1309770 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 12:48am On Mar 01, 2019
Please can anyone let me know the process to get a Nigerian visa from UK. Tried to google but no luck.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 12:51am On Mar 01, 2019
mim1031:

I had a similar issue when I started my first job in the UK. My first pay was in November and my tax was very small. I was very happy (said to myself "UK tax is not as bad as they make it look"wink. But the tax kept increasing after every month. I later found out I was on emergency tax code and was still within the personal allowance threshold. I eventually got a refund for that tax year as it turned out that they still over taxed me in the end.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 4:30am On Mar 01, 2019
wonlasewonimi:
Please can anyone let me know the process to get a Nigerian visa from UK. Tried to google but no luck.

https://oisservices.com/visas-det.php?id=MTY=

Or go to 56-57 Fleet Street. London . That where the processing office is

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 8:01am On Mar 01, 2019
LagosismyHome:

https://oisservices.com/visas-det.php?id=MTY=

Or go to 56-57 Fleet Street. London . That where the processing office is

Thanks a lot. I tried to search for this last night.. I gave up.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 8:28am On Mar 01, 2019
mim1031:

This is bad news�� How much more do they have to collect to finish my meagre pay

Put in your estimated yearly salary . It will give you an idea of how much mama charlie is coming to take

https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Shanzzy(f): 9:14am On Mar 01, 2019
My people i landed yesterday in Manchester. The search for accommodation kicked off, my study is in st james building. Please i need help with accommodation some that i have seen is saying no to couple and children,i have a son with me and hubby. Please help a sister in desperate need.Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:20am On Mar 01, 2019
Shanzzy:
My people i landed yesterday in Manchester. The search for accommodation kicked off, my study is in st james building. Please i need help with accommodation some that i have seen is saying no to couple and children,i have a son with me and hubby. Please help a sister in desperate need.Thanks

I know a fellow lady with a hubby and son in manchester but came in jan... they just went through a smiliar process. Who love to share but nairaland is suppose to be faceless and nameless grin

Maybe i send you a pm and ask them if i can give you their number
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Shanzzy(f): 9:36am On Mar 01, 2019
Would be very grateful. Please send me the pm.Thanks
LagosismyHome:

I know a fellow lady with a hubby and son in manchester but came in jan... they just went through a smiliar process. Who love to share but nairaland is suppose to be faceless and nameless grin

Maybe i send you a pm and ask them if i can give you their number
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mim1031: 11:06am On Mar 01, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Put in your estimated yearly salary . It will give you an idea of how much mama charlie is coming to take

https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php
Thanks for this
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 11:16am On Mar 01, 2019
mim1031:

Thanks for this

Very greedy system... was listening to potential changes in inheritance tax on the radio this morning . I could only smh. The system is determined to tax you till death and even after death

Yes tax is used for good but there also a lot of wasteful spending in government and a lot of the project run over budget. Hence why i termed it a greedy system
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 10:42am On Mar 02, 2019
mim1031:
My elders in the UK, help me. I just discovered I have not been paying tax since I arrived the UK, instead I have been paying the national insurance. I was told i will start paying tax in April in Addition to the National insurance. My question is does everyone pays the national insurance and tax and what do I start to gain from paying national insurance. I know Tax payment is compulsory but nobody told me about national insurance , how much is the whole money self? Why are they bent on collecting all their money back

I take it you are self employed? If so, you will need to register as self employed by applying for a UTR no. You can do this online. This is the no that will enable you to file your tax return.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 11:03am On Mar 02, 2019
Good Morning House.

I hear there are tricks to traveling the world (especially within Europe/Asia/Americas) on a budget both for flights and accommodation.

Abeg who sabi road should share. I’m begging.. I have a large family and want to plan our summer without breaking the bank. God bless you in advance.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:44am On Mar 02, 2019
Mamatukwas:
Good Morning House.

I hear there are tricks to traveling the world (especially within Europe/Asia/Americas) on a budget both for flights and accommodation.

Abeg who sabi road should share. I’m begging.. I have a large family and want to plan our summer without breaking the bank. God bless you in advance.

I am not aware of any trick unless you want to do it by boat.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 12:12pm On Mar 02, 2019
Mamatukwas,
You're booking late oo for summer.Most of my colleagues booked last year shocked

If you can travel in term time,things will be cheaper.Once school holidays set in, everything triples.

You'll also need to decide if you want all inclusive holidays or if you want to book everything separately.

If your kids are small,you may prefer all inclusive type things to keep them busy.

I'll be back soon to continue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 1:14pm On Mar 02, 2019
imnotconfused:
Mamatukwas,
You're booking late oo for summer.Most of my colleagues booked last year shocked

If you can travel in term time,things will be cheaper.Once school holidays set in, everything triples.

You'll also need to decide if you want all inclusive holidays or if you want to book everything separately.

If your kids are small,you may prefer all inclusive type things to keep them busy.

I'll be back soon to continue

Hewww!!! Please I’m looking for cheap and cheerful all inclusive. I know it’s a bit late but some personal issues made it harder to plan earlier. Sigh.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 1:15pm On Mar 02, 2019
wonlasewonimi:

I am not aware of any trick unless you want to do it by boat.

Actually there are ways around it... you obviously would benefit from the knowledge too smiley
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Shanzzy(f): 1:16pm On Mar 02, 2019
Please oooo my people still soliciting for the help. Thanks
Shanzzy:
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Shanzzy(f): 1:25pm On Mar 02, 2019
Fatima and other able mothers in the house please help me. Some of the the accommodation i saw they keep saying no child but accept couple.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 6:54pm On Mar 02, 2019
Mamatukwas:

Hewww!!! Please I’m looking for cheap and cheerful all inclusive. I know it’s a bit late but some personal issues made it harder to plan earlier. Sigh.

Have you looked at jet2holidays? Ryanair holiday packages?onthebeach,lastminute dot com websites nko

Totstotravel also has holiday packages

The problem is going during school holidays.

You can also go to a travel agent and tell them what you want?

If it's going to be too hard,have you tried crieffhydro in Perth? It's alright if you don't mind dated rooms,loads for kids to do, pony rides,golfing,zip lining,tree adventures,spa for oldies,bowling,nice restaurants that do room service etc plus they have childcare you can book for some hours so you can chill out.

Centerparcs too,Belgium(erperheide or vossemeren) which is cheaper than the UK ones.Loads for kids to do.

Also go to Mumsnet and look for the travel/holiday section,you'll find so much information.

That's where I've gotten all our holiday recommendations which have turned out great.

Hope you find something oooo.Planning holidays is usually hellish.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 6:56pm On Mar 02, 2019
Mamatukwas:

Go on google and type in all inclusive holidays or/and travel supermarket I’m sure you will fine something. There are some holidays that allow the first child free.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 6:58pm On Mar 02, 2019
Shanzzy:
Fatima and other able mothers in the house please help me. Some of the the accommodation i saw they keep saying no child but accept couple.

Hiya, unfortunately I don't know Manchester at all so can't be of any help.
Have you looked at spare room website?
I've always rented from Rightmove where you can put in your location and all houses for rent will pop up.

You may just have to perch in a b&b till you sort yourself out? How did you leave Naija without accommodation sorted?

Maybe a church will help?
Sorry o

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Shanzzy(f): 7:20pm On Mar 02, 2019
Ha accommodation was sorted but getting here,i was informed that due to my child it won't be granted anymore.
imnotconfused:

Hiya, unfortunately I don't know Manchester at all so can't be of any help.
Have you looked at spare room website?
I've always rented from Rightmove where you can put in your location and all houses for rent will pop up.

You may just have to perch in a b&b till you sort yourself out? How did you leave Naija without accommodation sorted?

Maybe a church will help?
Sorry o

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:03pm On Mar 02, 2019
Help!!!, need a job in the UK ASAP. Tired of Naija. Any help at all?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 9:35pm On Mar 02, 2019
My Queen and my Prince landed safely today. Family is reunited again after 8 months. I've been highly favoured by Baba God in the whole process, even me can't believe it happened so fast.
May God grant those of you that have similar aspirations the same favour.
In other news, cold is catching some people upon say I set thermostat at 25 degrees. Help me tell them sorry grin grin

16 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 10:08pm On Mar 02, 2019
Shanzzy:
Ha accommodation was sorted but getting here,i was informed that due to my child it won't be granted anymore.

Sorry you've had this experience.

Can you be specific about the sort of help you need?
What sort of house you're looking for ?
Have you looked on Rightmove and the other house hunting websites others mentioned some pages ago?
I'm assuming it's student accommodation and thats why they refused you.

I hope someone with better ideas pops up soon

Sorry oo
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 10:08pm On Mar 02, 2019
sutelk:
My Queen and my Prince landed safely today. Family is reunited again after 8 months. I've been highly favoured by Baba God in the whole process, even me can't believe it happened so fast.
May God grant those of you that have similar aspirations the same favour.
In other news, cold is catching some people upon say I set thermostat at 25 degrees. Help me tell them sorry grin grin

Sorry to the cold people,they'll adjust soon.
Congratulations on the reunion and all the best to the family.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 10:14pm On Mar 02, 2019
sgtponzihater1:
Help!!!, need a job in the UK ASAP. Tired of Naija. Any help at all?
You have to be more specific.
What field exactly? What sort of job etc.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 10:17pm On Mar 02, 2019
imnotconfused:

You have to be more specific.
What field exactly? What sort of job etc.

Medical Jobs please
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 10:18pm On Mar 02, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Medical Jobs please

Have you done your Plab one and two?
A guy some pages ago said something,let me look and see.
Have you looked on nhsjobs website?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 10:25pm On Mar 02, 2019
Greenfriend:

Yeah. There are agencies who recruit but that's usually after U have done your own homework (for my profession, U have to pass IELTS and PLAB 1 & 2 exams, then apply for registration with the UK medical council). I got my job myself after applying through the NHS Jobs website and having interviews on Skype while in Nigeria. Some colleagues got through agents (some who make empty promises). Different strikes for different folks, mate

@sgtponzihater1
I believe this poster is very current
I don't know about agents,I think they take a lot of your money away and tie you down with odd contracts ,if you leave them before the contract time runs out,they take away thousands of pounds.

They also will promise jobs and not be able to follow up so ideally you want one from nhsjobs as a cushion,you find your feet and then move on sharply.

@davechapelle, congratulations on your new addition!!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 10:28pm On Mar 02, 2019
imnotconfused:

@sgtponzihater1
I believe this poster is very current
I don't know about agents,I think they take a lot of your money away and tie you down with odd contracts .

@davechapelle, Congratulations!

Thank u. Hopefully will be able to share the good news soon.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 10:32pm On Mar 02, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Thank u. Hopefully will be able to share the good news soon.

Cheers! I hope everything goes well.

(1) (2) (3) ... (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.