Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,067 members, 7,821,672 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (249) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1310596 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 12:26am On Dec 17, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Simple solution........

Take pictures and get your local council involved (housing department) ......... They love such stories......

Did he agree this renovation in letters, sms or any other written down media?.....

Did you rent directly or from an agent?....

From an agency. They seem to have sense but the Landlord is the one that’s acting like something is wrong with him. How can you invest in such a lovely expensive place and you don’t want to maintain the house?

So no. I didn’t physically see it before I rented. It was just not possible, my work time and my husbands couldn’t accommodate all our viewings. So I asked for a vid and the agency cleverly did not mention or show the walls and rusty toilet bowls and broken wardrobe handles.

So no agreement was made because I thought I still had the inventory week to complain about the state of the house. I honestly don’t mind fixing it up, but I told them that I’ll destroy it back when I’m leaving. I’m not a maga.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 12:28am On Dec 17, 2019
phyl123:

Did you see the condition of the house before you rented it? Did these conditions reflect in the rent? What was your agreement with the landlord before you took up the property?

I don’t believe that it’s right that in this day and time of online everything (e-commerce), they still expect people to physical sight things before buying.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by deept(m): 3:09am On Dec 17, 2019
Aphrodite007:

I don’t believe that it’s right that in this day and time of online everything (e-commerce), they still expect people to physical sight things before buying.

In these day and age, crooks still remain crooks and are looking to take advantage of people. Always take time to physically view what you want to buy/pay for, the agency is after commissionion.

What cameras can do these days, I have attended viewings with properties that look like heaven in pictures but in reality nothing to write home about. If this is the attitude of the landlords at the beginning of the tenancy, don't expect to receive joy throughout your stay from him.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:05am On Dec 17, 2019
Aphrodite007:

From an agency. They seem to have sense but the Landlord is the one that’s acting like something is wrong with him. How can you invest in such a lovely expensive place and you don’t want to maintain the house?

So no. I didn’t physically see it before I rented. It was just not possible, my work time and my husbands couldn’t accommodate all our viewings. So I asked for a vid and the agency cleverly did not mention or show the walls and rusty toilet bowls and broken wardrobe handles.

So no agreement was made because I thought I still had the inventory week to complain about the state of the house. I honestly don’t mind fixing it up, but I told them that I’ll destroy it back when I’m leaving. I’m not a maga.

At that point of destruction, is where your deposit, would varnish + possibly legal redress........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by phyl123: 6:27am On Dec 17, 2019
Aphrodite007:

Sigh, so technically, we cannot ask the landlord to fix the house because we didn’t see the condition before we accepted it?

OK o. I won’t complain again

You are jumping the gun here, I only asked the question because 90% of people will view a property before they move in or get someone to view on their behalf. If the landlord misrepresented the conditions of the place during the time of advert, then this is a different issue. You asked for advice, the only way to advise properly is to find out what you knew and what the agreement was at the beginning of the agreement.

Only holidays e.g hotel and holiday home most people will view by pictures and decide not the place you want to make home. If they are too busy they get an agent to view on their behalf.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by phyl123: 6:34am On Dec 17, 2019
Aphrodite007:

The agency should have told you about the condition of the property, so you can do two things, withhold your rent until all your demands are met or you find another place.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 11:24am On Dec 17, 2019
Aphrodite007:

Ehnn cloth you fit return the next day , but home is your sanctuary and place to rest after all the rat race hussle for the day ............... Let me find my koboko so i can flog you and your husband smiley cheesy grin . Abeg no try am again ooo . Even if you are busy monday to friday , there is saturday to go view a property

however that has happened, if it crappy then a landlord needs to be held accountable . Reach out to him or the agent that you will report this to the council . Maybe that will him make come and work on it . i would definitely reach out to the council to access the property

Lastly you cannot throw anything that belongs to the landlord if its a furnished apartment ..........if you do when you move out he will take it from your deposit and buy himself new things. you can store it in the house and use your things but dont remove or throw away except you have an agreement in writing

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 11:27am On Dec 17, 2019
wonlasewonimi:
Did you guys watch the spac nation documentary on BBC?

Hmmmm My dear....I watched it.
I downloaded it on the BBC iPlayer this morning to watch again later.
I was just shaking my head through.
Sad...sad....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 11:35am On Dec 17, 2019
Guys Warrisgoing on with Health Surcharge please?? I tried to pay for 2 years under Tier 2 and it’s charging us the equivalent of £1,800. Did I miss a particular memo? It’s meant to be £400 per year! Even if they charge 1 year extra it’s £1,200. I’m tayad! cry

Anyone have a similar experience? Note that my husband’s own (main applicant) went through ok. It’s we the dependents that the figure is turninoniown.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 11:41am On Dec 17, 2019
Mamatukwas:

Guys Warrisgoing on with Health Surcharge please?? I tried to pay for 2 years under Tier 2 and it’s charging us the equivalent of £1,800. Did I miss a particular memo? It’s meant to be £400 per year! Even if they charge 1 year extra it’s £1,200. I’m tayad! cry

Anyone have a similar experience? Note that my husband’s own (main applicant) went through ok. It’s we the dependents that the figure is turninoniown.

Uk have been ripping immigrants for years and nobody can even say anything cry .......... I remember when i was doing visa, every year like £200 increase , that exploitation as it is way over the yearly increase in inflation . It really annoying but what can someone do . Those on 10 years path , the money they spend intotal is something else

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:50am On Dec 17, 2019
RalphJean:

Hmmmm My dear....I watched it.
I downloaded it on the BBC iPlayer this morning to watch again later.
I was just shaking my head through.
Sad...sad....

It is a sad story. The love of money will not kill us
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 12:14pm On Dec 17, 2019
Aphrodite007:

Make sure you take pictures of the current state of the house and furniture and send it to the agency before you fix anything. If you don't, they can keep your deposit and claim you damaged the house.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 12:19pm On Dec 17, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Uk have been ripping immigrants for years and nobody can even say anything cry .......... I remember when i was doing visa, every year like £200 increase , that exploitation as it is way over the yearly increase in inflation . It really annoying but what can someone do . Those on 10 years path , the money they spend intotal is something else

Annoying is an understatement. Even Visa fees has been doubled. Hmm Na Wa. This IHS math is sha not adding up! Has anyone been successful in getting a refund later please?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 12:20pm On Dec 17, 2019
Mamatukwas:

Boris promised to increase the surcharge of he wins, but I doubt it has been implemented.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Kolping: 1:57pm On Dec 17, 2019
Ofcom plans ban on mobile firms selling 'locked' phones
Mobile phone companies would be banned from selling ‘locked’ handsets, under a range of new plans from Ofcom to make switching even simpler.

Companies including BT/EE, Tesco Mobile and Vodafone still sell mobile phones that cannot be used on other networks unless they are unlocked, which can cost around £10. Ofcom research has found that more than a third of people who decided against switching said this put them off.

So we are proposing to ban mobile companies from selling locked phones, allowing people to move to a different network with their existing handset, hassle-free.

We are also planning to make it easier to switch between broadband networks, as part of a broad package of protections for customers that reflect new European rules.

https://telecoms.com/501434/ofcom-proposes-ban-on-selling-locked-devices/

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 2:16pm On Dec 17, 2019
dustydee:

Boris promised to increase the surcharge of he wins, but I doubt it has been implemented.

Don’t think it has been. It’s still showing £400 per year.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by gratefulme40: 2:40pm On Dec 17, 2019
Mamatukwas:

Annoying is an understatement. Even Visa fees has been doubled. Hmm Na Wa. This IHS math is sha not adding up! Has anyone been successful in getting a refund later please?

Two of my friends got a refund after the new visa has been issued

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 2:56pm On Dec 17, 2019
Mamatukwas:

I have gotten IHS refund (£600) when my last work visa was rejected years. I still paid it again when I made a 2nd (and successful) application.

I also got a part-refund on visa fees when my next application took more than 24 hours to get a response after paying for premium.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 3:59pm On Dec 17, 2019
gratefulme40:

Two of my friends got a refund after the new visa has been issued

Ok. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 4:00pm On Dec 17, 2019
spacyzuma:

I have gotten IHS refund (£600) when my last work visa was rejected years. I still paid it again when I made a 2nd (and successful) application.

I also got a part-refund on visa fees when my next application took more than 24 hours to get a response after paying for premium.

Thank you. Maybe we will pay and pursue a refund. Link please or email for that purpose? Or do you prefer i PM you? Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:01pm On Dec 17, 2019
A bitter lesson..........

I retire where i spend my working life........ NHS + social care packages, be ready for multiple comorbidities, from this patient......... grin

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hammed71(m): 4:09pm On Dec 17, 2019
Lexusgs430:

I retire where i spend my working life........ NHS + social care packages, be ready for multiple comorbidities, from this patient......... grin
wow this is serious
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 4:10pm On Dec 17, 2019
Mamatukwas:

Thank you. Maybe we will pay and pursue a refund. Link please or email for that purpose? Or do you prefer i PM you? Thank you.
The IHS refund was automatic but took awhile (days or weeks)

The premium fee refund was after I sent an email to Complaints @ HomeOffice dot Gov dot Uk. I gave detailed explanation with dates, facts and I attached screenshots

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 4:12pm On Dec 17, 2019
spacyzuma:

The IHS refund was automatic but took awhile (days or weeks)

The premium fee refund was after I sent an email to Complaints @ HomeOffice dot Gov dot Uk. I gave detailed explanation with dates, facts and I attached screenshots

Many thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:19pm On Dec 17, 2019
hammed71:
wow this is serious

Why some of us have this mentality to return to Nigeria, at the later years. I don't understand that mentality.......

Is Nigeria a burial ground?......

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:22pm On Dec 17, 2019
hammed71:
wow this is serious

Spent his productive/stronger years in America......... Only to return to a shithole at his most venerable stage, in the waiting hands of those expectant lions..........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hammed71(m): 4:23pm On Dec 17, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Why some of us have this mentality to return to Nigeria, at the later years. I don't understand that mentality.......

Is Nigeria a burial ground?......
I l don't really know, they have their reasons but as for me, come back where!!!?the day wey I go comot na ODABO!!!!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:34pm On Dec 17, 2019
Tenants, you have the power....... Use it........

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 7:24pm On Dec 17, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Lols..I am still not sure how I can ever cope with the lifestyle in Nigeria after spending just 1 year here...

E go better o cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:18pm On Dec 17, 2019
Lexusgs430:

This is getting so frequent , Nigeria which way oooooooooooooooo cry
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 11:14pm On Dec 17, 2019
cheesy cheesy Christmas gifts and cards everywhere smiley grin....

Not sure I have ever celebrated Christmas this way before...

To God be the GLORY for the new dawn!!!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Trizadove: 1:53am On Dec 18, 2019
Good morning seniors
Please I would like someone to shed more light on these occupations.
I have read online severally but I can't seem to make up my mind. And that's been complicated with all the medical gargons I've been reading online.
Please seniors in the medical field, what's your take on Social Work and Nursing (Adult)? I do not have any background, just want to change my career.
What are the career prospects?
Which will be easier to transition into considering I have no background of such
And most importantly, which will benefit me and my family the most on the long run...... (PR pathway)

(1) (2) (3) ... (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.