Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,776 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (268) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1307533 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by beryour(m): 4:36pm On Jan 23, 2020
Dnt be discouraged, some people get jobs after just a month while some do not until after 12 months or more...you are not alone on this table.

You should keep on with your application, try re-modify your CV and cover letter. You could also try to get some store or locals jobs, for now, to keep you going.

Matrix07:
Hi,
I need your help guys. Its seriously affecting me.
I have been in the UK for about 6 months and not gotten jobs
I initially applied for software testing jobs as i have experience in it but no interviews.
Started applying for Customer service jobs but not successful after interviews
I really dont know whats happening

I need help on how to get a job
Does anyone knows jobs i can apply for and start with for now
Any help is appreciated

I am beginning to feel like i shouldnt have left Nigeria.
Please help me abeg

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bankalert(m): 4:39pm On Jan 23, 2020
Just came back from the UK, London specifically on a 3 day visit, through my Office(Goverment office). My experiences so far have been a bit overwhelming. But to an extent, I wouldn't consider moving permanently to the UK. Within the three days I stayed and toured London, I learnt quite enough to know to remain in Nigeria if UK is the only option I have.
I hope to go there for studies though this year and come back....

But my plan is to move to another Country in Europe after my studies in UK. Is this feasible? I mean using a UK certificate to work in let's say Germany, France or Finland for example.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bankalert(m): 4:41pm On Jan 23, 2020
beryour:
Dnt be discouraged, some people get jobs after just a month while some do not until after 12 months or more...you are not alone on this table.

You should keep on with your application, try re-modify your CV and cover letter. You could also try to get some store or locals jobs, for now, to keep you going.

Right... I met quite a lot of black immigrants in Local stores in London... I assume this is the easiest job to get for blacks In the UK.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Kolping: 5:19pm On Jan 23, 2020
Queen signs Brexit bill into law as PM warned against ‘foolish’ attempt to rush trade deals with US and EU

Boris Johnson’s Brexit legislation has cleared all stages in parliament after it received royal assent. It follows an EU warning of “sanctions” if Mr Johnson’s government fails to implement controversial goods checks in the Irish Sea after Brexit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-news-live-brexit-deal-eu-trade-labour-leadership-latest-a9298056.html
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 5:31pm On Jan 23, 2020
Matrix07:
Hi,
I initially applied for software testing jobs as i have experience in it but no interviews.

Any help is appreciated

Please help me abeg

Go on myjobhelper websit,e also try not to show desperation when you get a telephone interview. Good luck
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Gundi: 5:48pm On Jan 23, 2020
Bankalert:
Just came back from the UK, London specifically on a 3 day visit, through my Office(Goverment office). My experiences so far have been a bit overwhelming. But to an extent, I wouldn't consider moving permanently to the UK. Within the three days I stayed and toured London, I learnt quite enough to know to remain in Nigeria if UK is the only option I have.

But my plan is to move to another Country in Europe after my studies in UK. Is this feasible? I mean using a UK certificate to work in let's say Germany, France or Finland for example.

Can you briefly describe what you saw or noticed
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 6:02pm On Jan 23, 2020
Bankalert:
Just came back from the UK, London specifically on a

Why not study in those countries so you can transition to work afterwards? Your years studying there should count to your advantage and you will pick up the language and culture along the way

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Matrix07: 6:13pm On Jan 23, 2020
thanks

umarwy:

Try utest.com to start testing Jobs.

Try to get a CV and cover later review, some recruiters do it for free on LinkedIn.

Get an all star LinkedIn profile.
Look for volunteering opportunities.

Good luck
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Matrix07: 6:13pm On Jan 23, 2020
thanks

Rubyventures:

Go on myjobhelper websit,e also try not to show desperation when you get a telephone interview. Good luck

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Matrix07: 6:14pm On Jan 23, 2020
thanks again

beryour:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 6:29pm On Jan 23, 2020
Matrix07:
Hi,

Any help is appreciated

Please help me abeg

Try expanding your search to neighbouring towns, try using agents, try going for entry jobs like IT technicians or IT help desk since you have IT experience(do you have any IT certification?)...you can also ask companies for work experience slots or also try Amazon too, spread your web

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by beryour(m): 6:44pm On Jan 23, 2020
Completely wrong, it is always different for everyone!

Bankalert:

Right... I met quite a lot of black immigrants in Local stores in London... I assume this is the easiest job to get for blacks In the UK.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by beryour(m): 6:47pm On Jan 23, 2020
Why not go to 'another country in Europe' also for three days so your comparison might be better of...also you could try to describe what you saw in 3 days, maybe we will learn one or two

Bankalert:

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:44pm On Jan 23, 2020
Bankalert:

In only 3 days, you managed to draw up this conclusion? Your write up lacks content, add more flesh..... In the interim, Fear God O .............

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:46pm On Jan 23, 2020
Matrix07:
Hi,

Any help is appreciated

Please help me abeg

Look low, then eventually aim high............... smiley. Your mouth don big (enu e tifee)...... grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by missnigeria: 9:27pm On Jan 23, 2020
Simran94:

Yes dear, it is possible

Ok. Thank you. I really appreciate your cool response

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 10:23pm On Jan 23, 2020
Bankalert:

Lol in 3 days you don write project and reach conclusion. Wehdone sir. Best to go to those countries for masters then and switch to work Visa. Gives you the opportunity to know your environment and aid your job application.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by teejay231: 11:40pm On Jan 23, 2020
Hang in there you are not alone. I had the same problem and spent months going for countless interviews even in neighbouring towns and cities wasting money on travel. Simply take it as part of the learning experience and prepare better for the next. Most companies are reluctant if you have no UK experience. Some tell you straight away while others just waste your time. Try to pick up on what software testing tools are in demand from speaking with recruiters and try practicing at home. Most testing these days are automated. Try setting up a LinkedIn profile if you don't already have one. Also create a technical CV for your software testing applications which is different from a regular CV as it excludes all non technical experience. Create profiles on cv-library.co.uk, reed.co.uk, indeed.com and co-hire.com.

I applied for every kind of job. It's a starting point. With time you will get the job you want as long as you have the skills for it.

Matrix07:
Hi,

Any help is appreciated

Please help me abeg

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 10:12am On Jan 24, 2020
Matrix07:
Hi,

Any help is appreciated

Please help me abeg
start by applying for students job and ask your fellow students around for more input
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 10:14am On Jan 24, 2020
Bankalert:

lols. Weldone o.... abeg study MSc in Nigeria and use Nigeria certificate to move over to Europe..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 2:06pm On Jan 24, 2020
Bankalert:

Nigerian Government Offices now sponsor workers for 3-day VISITS to the UK?
Not workshop ohhh
Not training ohhh
Not conference ohhh...

3 -day visit.
To quote Lexus430:
Fear God oh...

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 2:23pm On Jan 24, 2020
RalphJean:

Nigerian Government Offices now sponsor workers for 3-day VISITS to the UK?
Not workshop ohhh
Not training ohhh
Not conference ohhh...

3 -day visit.
To quote Lexus430:
Fear God oh...

Yes na, since 1960 ..... smiley cheesy grin .
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 5:07pm On Jan 24, 2020
Olalekank:

Trust me, ma, we wouldn't like it.

I recently saw an interview with a lady who worked in this sort of role - guiding posts. Based on what she said, it's psychologically draining and the trauma is another thing. She had to undergo therapy.

Some of the content which they review are really disturbing.

If it's the actual cyber security work, yes we dey available grin

I don't see many people here trying to shoot for the investment banks though

Wow for real cry that’s heartbreaking. I didn’t think social media was that bad to this point.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 5:12pm On Jan 24, 2020
missnigeria:

Tell her oooooo,

Thanks for the response. What I only wanted to know is that, is it possible to get a job after the Masters and two years post study work and then switch to Tier 2 Visa. I need clarification.

Ehen now you have come. My shock was how you went straight to the big fish. Even in Nigeria can you become that straight after school? Why then would you think that that would happen here?

Yes it’s possible to get a job even while you’re doing your masters; I however advise people to get student jobs (retail, care, mail sorter, lesson teacher, nanny or hair stylist) during their masters so at least you’ll come out with Merit.

Then while doing it, you start applying and learning how to write CVs and attend interviews.

As you want to go into banking, apply for internships in a bank. Or teller jobs as a student. You start small and build from there.

Where people fail is when they apply for the big boys, you go just they apply they go. Experience and Communication is everything here, and only starting small will help you get them.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 5:40pm On Jan 24, 2020
Matrix07:
Hi,

Any help is appreciated

Please help me abeg

Testing? White or Black? Do you know all the software they ask you about? If you know the money in testing you won’t quit. One of my close friends is a whiz tester but I think he collects money to train people. I will ask if he wants a prodigy. Do you stay in London?

If you want my free advice, I would say look for one job around your area. Pick everything the job requires, sit down and study each one. When you are confident that you’ve learned enough, apply for a junior role.

After 6 months to 1 year, if you’re an ambitious person, you go hammer!

In the meantime, I’ll tell you why you are not getting your customer service job? Cos you’re using your tester CV to apply. Dumb your CV down. Put experience of Working in customer service for at least 1 year. Then put that you worked as a marketer for another 1 year.

Remove your masters (if you have) and leave only the BSc. Then write how you love to upsell to people the products that will benefit them, and how you got commendations from customers for great service.

Let me know when you get a customer service job.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 5:48pm On Jan 24, 2020
Bankalert:

UK.. as in United Kingdom or United Kano?

I’m sorry sir, let me understand your question.

You are asking if a certificate from United Kingdom (that not only serves as proof of English, but also comes from a country with some of its universities in top 10 of the world) can be used to work in any country in the world?

I feel insulted on the Queens behalf grin

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tshoboy(m): 7:03pm On Jan 24, 2020
Na this confidence we dey find �
Aphrodite007:

Testing? White or Black? Do you know all the software they ask you about? If you know the money in testing you won’t quit. One of my close friends is a whiz tester but I think he collects money to train people. I will ask if he wants a prodigy. Do you stay in London?

If you want my free advice, I would say look for one job around your area. Pick everything the job requires, sit down and study each one. When you are confident that you’ve learned enough, apply for a junior role.

After 6 months to 1 year, if you’re an ambitious person, you go hammer!

In the meantime, I’ll tell you why you are not getting your customer service job? Cos you’re using your tester CV to apply. Dumb your CV down. Put experience of Working in customer service for at least 1 year. Then put that you worked as a marketer for another 1 year.

Remove your masters (if you have) and leave only the BSc. Then write how you love to upsell to people the products that will benefit them, and how you got commendations from customers for great service.

Let me know when you get a customer service job.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Kolping: 7:42pm On Jan 24, 2020
https://www.ft.com/content/a2c8b966-3ea9-11ea-a01a-bae547046735

Metropolitan police to deploy live facial recognition in London
Rollout comes despite widespread calls to pause use of controversial technology

Madhumita Murgia in London 5 HOURS AGO
London’s police force will start using live facial recognition on the capital’s streets, ignoring concerns from politicians, data regulators and human rights groups over the highly invasive and often inaccurate biometric technology.

The Metropolitan Police Service said standalone cameras would scan passers-by, searching for people suspected of serious crimes such as knife attacks and child sexual exploitation.

The decision follows last week’s announcement by the European Commission that it was considering banning facial recognition technology across the bloc for five years while policymakers create a regulatory framework. German police were the only known European forces to push ahead with plans to use the technology but they have since backtracked.

MPs on the House of Commons science and technology committee in July urged the Home Office to impose a moratorium on all facial recognition trials

The technology is used by police in China, Brazil, India and parts of the US, though bans have been imposed on its public use in cities including San Francisco and Oakland.

Last year an independent review commissioned by the Met published a damning report about the force’s facial recognition trials in London, warning that the technology was only 19 per cent accurate, and likely to contravene human rights. Over the past few months, several advocacy groups such as Liberty and Big Brother Watch have called for a moratorium on the use of the technology in the UK until regulation can be established.

Among the biggest concerns about facial recognition is its inaccuracy and bias against women and people of colour. The Met’s independent review showed that “it only worked correctly eight out of 42 times when individuals were flagged by the system”, said Pete Fussey, a criminologist at the University of Essex who authored the review.

He pointed out that facial recognition algorithms did not have “equal performance” across age, gender and ethnicity, adding: “They don’t have the authority to roll this out.”

Assistant Commissioner Nick Ephgrave said: “We are using a tried-and-tested technology, and have taken a considered and transparent approach in order to arrive at this point.”

He added that similar technology was already widely used across the UK in the private sector.

It appears the Met intends to ignore these promises and proceed with yet another deeply concerning infringement of our basic civil liberties

Siân Berry, Green party London Assembly member
In October, the UK’s data protection watchdog, the only body with legal oversight of this deployment, urged the police to delay its use of live facial recognition in public places until the government provided new legal guidance for the technology.

“I must ensure that everyone working in this developing area stops to take a breath and works to satisfy the full rigour of UK data protection law,” said Elizabeth Denham, the UK’s information commissioner, at the time. “Moving too quickly to deploy technologies that can be overly invasive in people’s lawful daily lives risks damaging trust . . . in the fundamental model of policing by consent.”

So far, the Met has only tested the technology, which was built by Japanese company NEC, rather than deploying it in a live policing context. The use of facial recognition was challenged in the High Court in September, and although the courts ruled in favour of the police, an appeal against the decision will be heard on June 23 this year.

Siân Berry, the London Assembly member and Green party mayoral candidate who has pushed back directly on the police’s use of the technology, said: “I was given assurance by the deputy mayor and commissioner it would not be deployed unless ethical and legal barriers could be overcome. It appears the Met intends to ignore these promises and proceed with yet another deeply concerning infringement of our basic civil liberties.”

The Information Commissioner’s Office said: “We have received assurances from the MPS that it is considering the impact of this technology and is taking steps to reduce intrusion and comply with the requirements of data protection legislation.”

Additional reporting by Guy Chazan in Berlin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by missnigeria: 7:57pm On Jan 24, 2020
Aphrodite007:

Ehen now you have come. My shock was how you went straight to the big fish. Even in Nigeria can you become that straight after school? Why then would you think that that would happen here?

Yes it’s possible to get a job even while you’re doing your masters; I however advise people to get student jobs (retail, care, mail sorter, lesson teacher, nanny or hair stylist) during their masters so at least you’ll come out with Merit.

Then while doing it, you start applying and learning how to write CVs and attend interviews.

As you want to go into banking, apply for internships in a bank. Or teller jobs as a student. You start small and build from there.

Where people fail is when they apply for the big boys, you go just they apply they go. Experience and Communication is everything here, and only starting small will help you get them.

Ehen, now you are talking. Thank you so much. I like your response now. Your previous answer was somehow. I want to go for Masters in business and financial management that's why I asked if I could get a job as a business and financial Manager. Even here in Nigeria I'm not a Manager yet. I wanted to get the right information because I know some people might the experience here. A friend actually told me after the two years Masters,,I can just use the post study work period to start looking for job if I come out with a good grade. Thank you once again for the clarification and advise
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tshoboy(m): 10:08pm On Jan 24, 2020

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Olalekank(m): 10:56pm On Jan 24, 2020
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lacrimossa2020: 1:51am On Jan 25, 2020
Aphrodite007:

UK.. as in United Kingdom or United Kano?

I’m sorry sir, let me understand your question.

You are asking if a certificate from United Kingdom (that not only serves as proof of English, but also comes from a country with some of its universities in top 10 of the world) can be used to work in any country in the world?

I feel insulted on the Queens behalf grin
Hahahahaaaaaa, Aphrodite007, abeg lemme oooooo. You be akpororo sista

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.