Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,532 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:43 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (270) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1306604 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Olalekank(m): 9:09pm On Jan 26, 2020
wonlasewonimi:

I am guilty as charged. I eat all these rubbish at work like pulled pork, lasagne etc. I mellow and pretend to enjoy, as soon as I get home the kind swallow I dey rush no be here..
This is so refreshing to read grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 9:31pm On Jan 26, 2020
wonlasewonimi:

Lmao @ cocoyam.. Sistren wants to bring village to London city.

Tbh, we need to start integrating properly. We should embrace foods like asparagus, sprouts, brocoli and chilli con carne.

Hahaha God forbid grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 9:34pm On Jan 26, 2020
Aphrodite007:

Hahaha God forbid grin

Kilode? Na to dey eat ugwu and egusi you people sabi cheesy

Olalekank:

This is so refreshing to read grin

Yes o

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by micluv111: 10:17pm On Jan 26, 2020
DisGuy:

In that case. Get a central location like London Bridge area very close to rail, tube and bus links and direct hop to naija restaurants central. And to cap it great hotel at the Shard with fine dining options on it's topmost floor grin

Dis guy sef

Do London taxi accept oyster card?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:28pm On Jan 26, 2020
micluv111:

Dis guy sef

Do London taxi accept oyster card?

No taxi dont take oyster ... some do have options to pay with contactless card. Or you can download uber app and use uber
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 10:36pm On Jan 26, 2020
wonlasewonimi:

Tbh, we need to start integrating properly. We should embrace foods like asparagus, sprouts, brocoli and chilli con carne.

Lol, what you listed here will even discourage us from integrating well well grin grin. I am always open to try new things sha but our oga no gree. Beans and Yam wont allow.

Just learnt red lentil is perfect for gbegiri and cheaper, planning to prepare it one and day and pass it as beans wink wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by micluv111: 10:38pm On Jan 26, 2020
LagosismyHome:

No taxi dont take oyster ... some do have options to pay with contactless card. Or you can download uber app and use uber

Thank you so much
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 10:48pm On Jan 26, 2020
fatima04:

Lol, what you listed here will even discourage us from integrating well well grin grin. I am always open to try new things sha but our oga no gree. Beans and Yam wont allow.

Just learnt red lentil is perfect for gbegiri and cheaper, planning to prepare it one and day and pass it as beans wink wink

I swear I have had a bowl of soup that tasted like gbegiri. I am still trying to find correct one in asda so that I join ewedu and lafun
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 10:30am On Jan 27, 2020
wonlasewonimi:

LOL oni yeye ni bobo yii.

When Oga said fund is no issue...my atenna goes up...if one is to spend national cake it better be worth is. The Shangri-La at the Shard is befitting our honourable

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kwell(m): 10:56am On Jan 27, 2020
Hello, I’m applying for an EEA family permit, I I’m quite through but you see the part they ask you to provide your identity card, my first name on my ID card is misspelled as MANUELL whilst all my other documents bear my right name MANUEL (1 L) do I write a cover note that the disparity is an error and I’ve reached out to the appropriate quarters to correct it or or the Home Office overlooks such errors since all other details on the card refer to me and my other documents especially passport have my name with the right spelling. Please be as kind enough to help me out. Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:32am On Jan 27, 2020
wonlasewonimi:

I swear I have had a bowl of soup that tasted like gbegiri. I am still trying to find correct one in asda so that I join ewedu and lafun

Lol, your lafun don spoil am. Pls when you find the good substitute share it
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 11:45am On Jan 27, 2020
wonlasewonimi:

HAHAHA. There's integration and there's unnecessarily punishing my stomach with alien food.

When I was doing a project in suffolk last year, I had no time or space to cook. And there was only so much fish/chips, pizza, chinese and cheesy stuff I could order.
I made arrangements with a Nigerian woman at Ipswich to cook food for me. Every fortnight, I'd drive 3 hrs (to and fro) to collect my jollof rice, fried rice and gizdodo in large containers. grin

WORTH IT!!!

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 1:59pm On Jan 27, 2020
fatima04:

Lol, your lafun don spoil am. Pls when you find the good substitute share it

What do you think is the main swallow for Gbegiri? It is originally lafun, cos people of ibadan took it over, that's why they christened it abula
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 2:01pm On Jan 27, 2020
spacyzuma:

HAHAHA. There's integration and there's unnecessarily punishing my stomach with alien food.

When I was doing a project in suffolk last year, I had no time or space to cook. And there was only so much fish/chips, pizza, chinese and cheesy stuff I could order.
I made arrangements with a Nigerian woman at Ipswich to cook food for me. Every fortnight, I'd drive 3 hrs (to and fro) to collect my jollof rice, fried rice and gizdodo in large containers. grin

WORTH IT!!!

Bros I would definitely do the same. By the time you eat greens/grass for few weeks, you woukd start fighting cows and rams on open grazing field in your dreams. . mba

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 2:13pm On Jan 27, 2020
wonlasewonimi:

Bros I would definitely do the same. By the time you eat greens/grass for few weeks, you woukd start fighting cows and rams on open grazing field in your dreams. . mba

grin grin Can’t wait to show my husband this— he thinks I’m the only one struggling to acclimatise adapt grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 2:59pm On Jan 27, 2020
wonlasewonimi:

Bros I would definitely do the same. By the time you eat greens/grass for few weeks, you would start fighting cows and rams on open grazing field in your dreams. . mba

LOOOOL grin grin grin

I'm so thankful I'm living in a big city with several nigerian (and african) restaurants. I can just pop out for suya or grilled fish or pounded yam whenever I want.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Hunnybee: 4:31pm On Jan 27, 2020
You have no idea what God has done for you. I’d kill for correct suya and inu eran stew right now

spacyzuma:

LOOOOL grin grin grin

I'm so thankful I'm living in a big city with several nigerian (and african) restaurants. I can just pop out for suya or grilled fish or pounded yam whenever I want.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 7:18pm On Jan 27, 2020
Hello, I need small clarification please.

After I complete online application and pay for passport renewal what next?

the instrcution given are to take printed copies of payment, application, acknowlagement and guarantor (this suprised me) to the nigerian consolate.

dont I need an appointment?

am I expected to just show up and be attended to??

thanks

@lagosismyhome @disguy @justwise
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 7:32pm On Jan 27, 2020
umarwy:

the instrcution given are to take printed copies of payment, application, acknowlagement and guarantor (this suprised me) to the nigerian consolate.

thanks

If you check the print out very well, you would see your appointment date. Trust naija people to hide it very well.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 7:43pm On Jan 27, 2020
umarwy:

thanks

Been a while i applied. I think on the completed form theres a date towards the end of the page usually in smaller print. Then you can change the date on the main website?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 7:43pm On Jan 27, 2020
wonlasewonimi:

If you check the print out very well, you would see your appointment date. Trust naija people to hide it very well.

Thanks found it.

So they don't even give option to choose availablity.

Na wa oh.

Even when giving me a date in the second half march.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 7:46pm On Jan 27, 2020
DisGuy:

Been a while i applied. I think on the completed form theres a date towards the end of the page usually in smaller print. Then you can change the date on the main website?

Can I actually change the date?

That would be nice.

But there website is a crazy maze that opens a new tab when ever you click any link
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:19pm On Jan 27, 2020
umarwy:

thanks

Funny enough a friend mentioned she did this last week and couldn't see the appointment date......I told her to look well but maybe it wasnt given . In the past when you get to this point they randomly give you a date which can be annoying as it might not work for you . So check

Also... last year they implemented same day walk in for an extra £100 . So if you have an extra 100 then you can walk in anyday
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 9:23pm On Jan 27, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Funny enough a friend mentioned she did this last week and couldn't see the appointment date......I told her to look well but maybe it wasnt given . In the past when you get to this point they randomly give you a date which can be annoying as it might not work for you . So check

Also... last year they implemented same day walk in for an extra £100 . So if you have an extra 100 then you can walk in anyday

Oh I learnt you can get your passport for same day I didn't know I could pay for s walk in.
Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:27pm On Jan 27, 2020
umarwy:

Oh I learnt you can get your passport for same day I didn't know I could pay for s walk in.
Thank you

£100 is not easy money o. It comes with walkin and same day passport
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 9:32pm On Jan 27, 2020
LagosismyHome:

£100 is not easy money o. It comes with walkin and same day passport

Thank you very much.

I understand ma

But getting it same day is better than fasting and prayer for passport not to loss for post
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by veleta: 9:53pm On Jan 27, 2020
Someone that did few weeks said you can't pick it same day again rather it's 5 working days for priority. Get prepaid envelope.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 9:56pm On Jan 27, 2020
veleta:
Someone that did few weeks said you can't pick it same day again rather it's 5 working days for priority. Get prepaid envelope.

Ah, ok.

How many days is standard?

When will we get sense?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:57pm On Jan 27, 2020
veleta:

smiley cheesy grin I wasnt expecting it to last . Nigeria we hail thee. Jagajaga
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 10:26pm On Jan 27, 2020
umarwy:

Can I actually change the date?

That would be nice.

But there website is a crazy maze that opens a new tab when ever you click any link

More than crazy. It's stuck in the 80s. I think you'll end up using 3 or 4 website in total grin

Nigerian High Commission
That Innnovate website or OIS
Nigerian Immigration website

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Contra5(f): 11:19pm On Jan 27, 2020
Matrix07:
Hi,
I need your help guys. Its seriously affecting me.
I have been in the UK for about 6 months and not gotten jobs
I initially applied for software testing jobs as i have experience in it but no interviews.
Started applying for Customer service jobs but not successful after interviews
I really dont know whats happening

I need help on how to get a job
Does anyone knows jobs i can apply for and start with for now
Any help is appreciated

I am beginning to feel like i shouldnt have left Nigeria.
Please help me abeg

I empathize with you bro! I believe you will get a job. I'm compelled to respond because I can sense you might start believing the stereotype. I got a job within 3 months of getting here. The jobs have had here are with reputable companies and none ever asked for my certificates until I got my offer letter. Skills and confidence matters a lot.

Can you tell us some of the work experience you have besides software testing? What are the soft skills you have? An average person from Nigeria do have a lot of experience but we really don't know how to capture it in a CV. For example, I used to manage my mom's shop in Nigeria and listed all the ways I improved her business from generating 1m to 2.5m etc. That got me my first job in naija. The same principle applies every where.

Edit/review your CV every day, by doing this you will notice different loopholes, grammar errors or over used words. I had 5 jobs where my skillset could fit in and I created 5 folders with different CV's and cover letters for each one. Please register on "find a job" and search for jobs based on the category. Then study the requirements of these jobs and tailor you cv to them.

When you are happy with you CV, go ahead to total jobs, CV library, Indeed and LinkedIn. I think LinkedIn optimizes you account for 3 months for free.

There are jobs that you will have to answer a lot of questions to apply. This don't require CV's. These are the ones I like. Please when you see these types; don't rush off to fill and submit. Take your time and ensure you get it right. (I will advise you spend 3 days unless it's close to deadline). When going for interviews, please read everything important about the company on their website
and be confident. Be polite and friendly.
It will be nice to start learning a new skill while looking for a job. Excel for example, is a good one. It got me my first job.
My prayers are with you.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Kolping: 5:24pm On Jan 28, 2020
Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) report: points-based system and salary thresholds
The MAC responds to the Home Secretary's commission into a points-based system and salary thresholds for immigration.
Published 28 January 2020

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/migration-advisory-committee-mac-report-points-based-system-and-salary-thresholds

(1) (2) (3) ... (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.