Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,377 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:10 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (292) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1309251 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Babyvet: 4:55pm On Mar 31, 2020
Uglyduckling:

Lol. I knew there was a prejudice to your assertion. Today alone I have had 10 patients test positive. Even the scrubs I went to hustle to wear I was told off that I’m wasting scrubs. I’m supposed to see and treat CoVid patients in my regular clothes and wear them home. With only gloves and a plastic bin apron and a surgical mask that is not protective. It’s like sending a soldier with a bright orange jumpsuit to a war instead of camouflage wear because they knew the signed up to die. In that case just save them the betrayal and shoot them yourself. Maybe you should read the Hippocratic oath before you use it in an argument

Abeg no mind am, as health care workers we did not up sign up to die . These first world countries are not protecting their front line workers. A young healthy nurse just died in New York due to lack of PPE. There are pictures of people working at his hospital wearing trash bags as protection and America is supposedly the greatest country in the world .

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 4:56pm On Mar 31, 2020
Lexusgs430:

My hippocratic oath, did not tell me to fight an AK47 war, with a bread knife..... Or did it?

My employer owes me a duty of care, ensuring that i am adequately protected, while discharging my duties......

The government failed massively in protecting medical practitioners. That tissue paper they call face masks, some trust managers would tell you, you can use one tissue mask for a duration of 4 hours 30 minutes...... Or don't overuse PPE, considering cost vs life.....

It took over 30,000 of us, to sign and send a letter to the PM & Minister of health, before they eventually agreed to ramp up on purchasing of proper PPE's purchasing and agreeing to testing frontline practitioners........

I pity the nurses on the wards, they are looking after suspected COVID19 patients and active COVID19 patients, with surgical gloves + tissue masks + very thin plastic aprons.......

Madam, pls don't get me started..... I don't like typing plenty............

Lexus I’m not fighting with you people. I understand the sentiment which is probably why you’re vexing. What you’re saying to me is if your house is burning and your kids are trapped, the fire fighters should stand and be looking at you because they haven’t been provided with amenities. Might as well scrap the fire service, let’s know that there’s no fire service.

Again, I have always supported petitions requesting for the govt to support the NHS, which is why i hate the tories.

Finally, just so you know, if all nurses and docs stop working, people will die and if your family mistakenly catch it, be rest assured that no one would also save them.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:58pm On Mar 31, 2020
gratefulme40:

Oh... my friend worked on a COVID ward over the weekend with tissue mask and waterproof apron. Apparently, that’s what the TRUST provides. She went to do agency there. God knows I would turn back and go home.

If i talk now, Aphrodite007 go talk say make i just shut up and carry go........

Madam, i don hear o..... Una don kuku clap for us, like lamb to slaughter.......... wink

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 5:00pm On Mar 31, 2020
Babyvet:

Abeg no mind am, as health care workers we did not up sign up to die . These first world countries are not protecting their front line workers. A young healthy nurse just died in New York due to lack of PPE. There are pictures of people working at his hospital wearing trash bags as protection and America is supposedly the greatest country in the world .

Yes you signed up for the money that’s why you don’t understand the concept and being a hero. How shameless! The real docs that know what they got employed for are probably spitting at the kind of health workers that are now in the field.

When you see my comments, just ignore- I don’t interact with fair-weather medics that only love their job when the going is good.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:08pm On Mar 31, 2020
Aphrodite007:

Yes you signed up for the money that’s why you don’t understand the concept and being a hero. How shameless! The real docs that know what they got employed for are probably spitting at the kind of health workers that are now in the field.

When you see my comments, just ignore- I don’t interact with fair-weather medics that only love their job when the going is good.

Madam, i love a good discuss. Because it brings out both sides of the coin......

If i told you hospital managers are gagging COVID19 soldiers (that's what we are), from speaking to the press about inadequate PPE's?

What would you say? And why are they gagging or attempting to gag?.....?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 5:10pm On Mar 31, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Madam, i love a good discuss. Because it brings out both sides of the coin......

If i told you hospital managers are gagging COVID19 soldiers (that's what we are), from speaking to the press about inadequate PPE's?

My point is two wrongs don’t make a right. The management and government are ridiculous. We know. The reason people came out to clap is because they see you as hero’s. Do you know what a hero is? Someone that’s willing to fight for others, even though they risk themselves.

Hopefully when this cools down, people will fight against the government to improve healthcare. At least now the govt can see the importance of the NHS.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 5:13pm On Mar 31, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Please let's not insult ourselves...... Thank you....

Me, insult who? Naa mate, I know the kind people I dey fight. Can’t roll in the mud with pigs. That one no reach my level at all grin

Like you said, it’s a discourse. I’m not even angry at all the name calling because that’s what I expect from people beneath me grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by cuteguy201: 5:22pm On Mar 31, 2020
Babyvet, Babyvet... smiley
Any thread you enter in this travel section, we would sha notice you. You're doing well, oooin!

Lemme grab my popcorn cool

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 5:25pm On Mar 31, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Let me even give you gist.

While in admission in the hospital, I had my drip on and I was sharing the room with the amputee. The amputee started crying, after ringing the bell for nearly two hours because she wanted to pee and no one was there to help her into the commode. I got off my bed, with no protection, and pulled my drip towards her bed, I didn’t care if she had the virus or not, I was desperate to help her.

The only reason I stopped was because it occurred to me that I could also have the virus and infect her. That’s when I went and started banging on the door for someone to come and help.

Me that I was terribly sick, had drip and oxygen hooked on, I have a med condition, I’m not a nurse, I was willing to risk my life to save someone I don’t know, I’m ashamed to hear health workers tell me opposite.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 5:26pm On Mar 31, 2020
cuteguy201:
Babyvet, Babyvet... smiley
Any thread you enter in this travel section, we would sha notice you. You're doing well, oooin!

Lemme grab my popcorn cool

Even me too, I have grabbed popcorn. I like drama grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:32pm On Mar 31, 2020
Aphrodite007:

Let me even give you gist.

While in admission in the hospital, I had my drip on and I was sharing the room with the amputee. The amputee started crying, after ringing the bell for nearly two hours because she wanted to pee and no one was there to help her into the commode. I got off my bed, with no protection, and pulled my drip towards her bed, I didn’t care if she had the virus or not, I was desperate to help her.

The only reason I stopped was because it occurred to me that I could also have the virus and infect her. That’s when I went and started banging on the door for someone to come and help.

Me that I was terribly sick, had drip and oxygen hooked on, I have a med condition, I’m not a nurse, I was willing to risk my life to save someone I don’t know, I’m ashamed to hear health workers tell me opposite.

Have you ever wondered why the Nurses simply ignored the buzzer?

If adequate PPE equipment was provided, would they ignore the buzzer?

We're are also Hooman Beans......... grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by salford1: 6:24pm On Mar 31, 2020
Aphrodite007:

My point is two wrongs don’t make a right. The management and government are ridiculous. We know. The reason people came out to clap is because they see you as hero’s. Do you know what a hero is? Someone that’s willing to fight for others, even though they risk themselves.

Hopefully when this cools down, people will fight against the government to improve healthcare. At least now the govt can see the importance of the NHS.
They are beyond ridiculous. They completely goofed. WHO inclusive.

There are people with tons of N95/FFP2 masks stockpiled at home while patiently waiting for a zombie apocalypse. The far east Asians especially were busy buying all the mask in Canada anyways while the government kept telling us that masks were useless, while they were also contradicting themselves about how well mask protects frontline workers.

They should have just told people to use/buy cotton mask or home made ones to reduce spread of infection and also beg those stockpiling for the apocalypse to leave the medical grade ones for healthcare workers.

The US CDC is now considering recommending cotton/toilet paper/homemade mask to the public. They are like 2 to 3 months late. Well better late than never.

After all this Covid wahala, the healthcare ministers on western countries should be in touch with Asians on how to prepare for a an epidemic or the bigger brother pandemic.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 7:23pm On Mar 31, 2020
salford1:

After all this Covid wahala, the healthcare ministers on western countries should be in touch with Asians on how to prepare for a an epidemic or the bigger brother pandemic.

Nah they should be in touch with their asian counterpart on how to prevent a pandemic in the first place and perhaps stop silencing their scientists and public health experts..SARS, Bird Flu etc
And I dont think anyone believes the numbers coming out of China one bit!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by salford1: 7:27pm On Mar 31, 2020
DisGuy:

Nah they should be in touch with their asian counterpart on how to prevent a pandemic in the first place and perhaps stop silencing their scientists and public health experts..SARS, Bird Flu etc
And I dont think anyone believes the numbers coming out of China one bit!
Will the Chinese stop the wet markets? The next question would be when the next pandemic would happen again?
The world is now more global than ever before. It only takes one carrier or jump on a plane. This is what Taiwan learnt from being in that region.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by salford1: 7:31pm On Mar 31, 2020

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by oyoolima: 7:44pm On Mar 31, 2020
There will always be a difference in opinion between actual medics and their families Vs lay men.

People have a lot of romanticism about medicine, viewing medical staff as some sort of martyrs willing to do anything,sacrifice their health and wellbeing even up to death.

It doesn't take a lot for that same populace to turn on you,again a quick example is the junior doctor strike and how hostile the public were.

You should be grateful for your pay,put up and shut up. Adequate rest? Deal with it later.Make a mistake ? GMC will come after you,families will hound you,some doctors and nurses have committed suicide from the hounding leaving behind loved ones.

A huge percentage of the medics have wised up and realised they are only loved by the public when they are perceived to be willing to die.If you dare mention better pay you get the textbook response: Shameless doctor,you only care about money,you're in it for the money.

Any agitation,people start to bring in their ideologies about what a doctor/ nurse should be.

What of the expectation for medics to cherish patients more than themselves or their families?

A medic is first and foremost a human being before being a doctor, nurse,care worker etc.

I have read about being fair weather,lol. Excellent surgeons have almost no empathy,they are competent and methodical and most are on the path of self preservation.I wonder if that makes them fair weather as well,lol

Medics deserve a life,they deserve to see their families,they did NOT sign up to die.

This realisation of how they are regarded has accounted for the haemorrhaging of doctors from the UK to places where they are appreciated and have a better work life balance.

Go and speak to family members of medics ,they will voice their fears..fear of losing dad, mum, sister, brother,uncle,aunt etc

I read a newspaper today where they reported that managers have told medics not to rescusitate covid pxts due to lack of PPE and there was some anger in the comments,lol

They except that you do resus , because IT IS YOUR JOB.Get infected? Sorry. Die? A minute of silence. What happens to your children? your spouse? your mortgage?

Will they say : Haaa this doctor/ nurse died from Covid,all debts will be cancelled? Free University? Free counselling for family?? Naaa! Highest 2 months and you will be forgotten.

Of course some medics will be more altruistic than others ..there are some to whom medicine is their life,it is alright but if you dig deep,their family usually suffers as they are the ones sacrificed on the altar of medicine.

Same type of human beings are found dotted in every occupation,the soldier who will jump ontop.of a grenade for his comrade,the policeman who will shield his partner etc. It is praiseworthy and commendable but the reality is that these people are few and far between, majority of humans are not that magnanimous no matter the profession.

Fortunately or Unfortunately, medics have realised that they deserve a life as well.A medic begins to think..my family? My children?

A massive percentage of medics love their patients but it gets to a point where they start wondering.. no one gives a damn about you in reality. All they want is treatment, perfection and if you die while doing it,so be it. You cannot voice human fears,you cannot say you want to live long and live well.

When the chips are down,they do not care.No one cares. You are only valued when you are seen to be suffering to earn the badge of selfless medic who would put country before self and family .

Police men,fire services and co observe health and safety rules when doing a rescue and will not put themselves in the line of fire without adequate cover.
Will an engineer be sent to.a site without his helmet ? NEVER. They must adhere to health and safety. But a medic? It is their job,the risk they signed up for.

I like how people are comfortable with the doling out of paper masks plus the faux outrage about PPE shortage..Listen to the news and see how it is politically dodged.The PPE has been on the way since eternity,lol.

Look at the guidance, completely different from WHO standard but no one wants to know..line them up like soldiers ,if they drop,it is their job.Hightest,we test for antibodies when convenient.No one really cares.

Hero or Heroine? They sure didn't beg to be elevated to that status.They have been put up there to enforce the romanticism while being pushed to almost certain illness/death.You are only a hero because you would risk yourself even till death,did they beg for the praise?

It's all selfish,it does take a lot of self introspection to realise this.
I'm not against the selfishness,it is inherent and a natural human reaction.

What matters is my response to that.I know what and whom I will be choosing.

I will NEVER watch someone suffer but after my near brush with an asymptomatic man who later turned out to be covid and the near breakdown I had,the risk I posed to my at risk family ,the flippancy of management,I have given myself brain.

Same sentiment is echoed by a lot of colleagues who come into work riddled with fear and anxiety.

I will ALWAYS do my best but with clear boundaries.

Medicine is a JOB, not a lifestyle.
When you sit across from a doctor or nurse and they're nice to you,it's still part of the job. Your wellbeing within reasonable limits is part of their job description.
It may sound cruel and cold but it is what it is.

The sooner people realise this and remove their rose tinted glasses,the less the clapping ,the more the focus on the practicalities,the better.

It is usually a pointless exercise to discuss this with non medics anyways so it's best to save venting for med groups or family members who actually love and care about you.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 7:49pm On Mar 31, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Have you ever wondered why the Nurses simply ignored the buzzer?

If adequate PPE equipment was provided, would they ignore the buzzer?

We're are also Hooman Beans......... grin

Hospitals are different, maybe yours you guys don’t have enough, or maybe by now it’s finished, but I assure you, there was enough protective equipment at the hospital that I was in. They even gave me some to take home. The nurses just refused to help out.

It was the black ones that we’re running around to help us. They were fearless. I so respected them. That’s why I’m disappointed to see what I’m seeing here because I’ve been boasting about the foreign/black nurses that put their passion first, over the Brit nurses that abandoned us.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by salford1: 7:52pm On Mar 31, 2020
oyoolima:

It is usually a pointless exercise to discuss this with non medics anyways so it's best to save venting for med groups or family members who actually love and care about you.
My wife said covid has turned me to a prayer warrior.i replied that it's because I love and care about her.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 7:54pm On Mar 31, 2020
Time to put on my face mask while watching the debates from the ogas at the top grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 7:55pm On Mar 31, 2020
Babyvet:

So because of your bad experience at the hospital, you are now castigating other health care workers. That is the result of your lovely socialized NHS system.

Oh so now you’re ready to talk like an adult shey?

Go through my comments, not once did I castigate health workers, I’ve been praising them. I am only after the ones that ran away from what their duty (which is to treat people irrespective of disease).

It’s my stupidity that made me believe that health workers are meant to be heroes, thanks to your comments, I’ve learned the opposite.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 7:57pm On Mar 31, 2020
salford1:

There are people with tons of N95/FFP2 masks stockpiled at home while patiently waiting for a zombie apocalypse. The far east Asians especially were busy buying all the mask in Canada anyways while the government kept telling us that masks were useless, while they were also contradicting themselves about how well mask protects frontline workers.

They should have just told people to use/buy cotton mask or home made ones to reduce spread of infection and also beg those stockpiling for the apocalypse to leave the medical grade ones for healthcare workers.

The US CDC is now considering recommending cotton/toilet paper/homemade mask to the public. They are like 2 to 3 months late. Well better late than never.

I read the comment here from someone about how the govt have abandoned health workers and how they don’t even want to follow guidelines. Me I’m not surprised because it’s not today that they started being rubbish. What I’m hoping for is that people see the sacrifice that their nurses and doctors were willing to make for them, and fight the govt for more investment into the NHS.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:02pm On Mar 31, 2020
Aphrodite007:

Hospitals are different, maybe yours you guys don’t have enough, or maybe by now it’s finished, but I assure you, there was enough protective equipment at the hospital that I was in. They even gave me some to take home. The nurses just refused to help out.

It was the black ones that we’re running around to help us. They were fearless. I so respected them. That’s why I’m disappointed to see what I’m seeing here because I’ve been boasting about the foreign/black nurses that put their passion first, over the Brit nurses that abandoned us.

I can assure you, a tissue mask, surgical gloves and thin apron, is not enough protective equipment(For TB), possibly yes..... Not COVID19.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:11pm On Mar 31, 2020
Oya Aphrodite007 & Babyvet, kiss and make up..... tongue

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.