Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,048 members, 7,821,603 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (294) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1310577 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Kolping: 4:17pm On Apr 01, 2020
TV licence fee could be replaced by broadband levy, says BBC
Corporation responds to government plan to decriminalise non-payment of licence fee
Jim Waterson Media editor
Tue 31 Mar 2020 15.28 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/mar/31/tv-licence-fee-could-be-replaced-by-broadband-levy-says-bbc
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Kolping: 4:19pm On Apr 01, 2020
Welcome to Britain in 2020...

British households told to prepare for blackouts as coronavirus lockdown goes on
Vulnerable people told to ‘keep a torch, hat, gloves and blanket handy’

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-update-lockdown-power-cuts-blackout-electricity-advice-a9437691.html?amp

British households have been told to prepare for blackouts by keeping torches and warm clothes handy as the coronavirus lockdown continues.

Energy firms have suspended all non-essential work as they brace for a potential shortage in engineers caused by staff sickness and self-isolation.

The National Grid has sought to reassure the British public it can cope with the surge in demand as people stay indoors and work from home during the outbreak.

However, UK Power Networks, which provides electricity to the southeast and east of England, including London, has written to vulnerable customers with advice on what to do if there is a power cut.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by salford1: 4:44pm On Apr 01, 2020
British American Tobacco (BAT), the FTSE 100 company behind Lucky Strike and Dunhill, said it could be producing up to 3m million doses of a vaccine a week by June - far faster than rivals, which are expecting to take at least a year.

BAT intends to start trialling its vaccine in humans as soon as possible. It is running pre-clinical tests and holding urgent talks with US drug authorities to fast-track permissions.

The treatment is being developed by the company's health division Kentucky BioProcessing (KBP), which has previously come up with a drug to combat Ebola. It claims to have found an antibody that appears to fight Covid-19, and is manufacturing this using genetically modified tobacco plants....

I hope this is not an April Fool's joke though.

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 4:59pm On Apr 01, 2020
marylandcakes:

Dyson

Thnks .. will check it out
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:02pm On Apr 01, 2020
Kolping:
TV licence fee could be replaced by broadband levy, says BBC
Corporation responds to government plan to decriminalise non-payment of licence fee
Jim Waterson Media editor
Tue 31 Mar 2020 15.28 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/mar/31/tv-licence-fee-could-be-replaced-by-broadband-levy-says-bbc

They should just deploy the Netflix business model.......

If they make it a broadband levy...... I would disconnect my broadband service and increase data limits on my children's lines (so they can hotspot their laptops)...............
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Healhtyliving: 5:50pm On Apr 01, 2020
Hello Nairalanders

Please advice is needed on the best approach to rent a house in the midst of Covid. Agent already provided a short video for virtual tour. What if the video does not portray the conditon of the house? Holding deposit is not refundable if intending tenant pulls out of the deal.

Pls help an urgent decision needs to be made.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 6:41pm On Apr 01, 2020
Healhtyliving:
Hello Nairalanders

Please advice is needed on the best approach to rent a house in the midst of Covid. Agent already provided a short video for virtual tour. What if the video does not portray the conditon of the house? Holding deposit is not refundable if intending tenant pulls out of the deal.

If they advice that nobody should be buying or moving houses . I would have expected the same for rental .

These are very uncertain times...

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 7:36pm On Apr 01, 2020
Kolping:
Welcome to Britain in 2020...

British households told to prepare for blackouts

The National Grid has sought to reassure the British public it can cope with the surge in demand as people stay indoors and work from home during the outbreak.

[b]However, UK Power Networks, which provides electricity to the southeast and east of England, including London, has written to vulnerable customers with advice on what to do if there is a power cut.

Alarmist...like the way the media go full throttle on worst case scenarios

2 weeks ago they were insinuating BT,Virgin, TalkTalk and co will collapse if there's a lockdown...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 7:42pm On Apr 01, 2020
Healhtyliving:
Hello Nairalanders

Best not to rush with a move unless it an emergency or absolutely necessary. Many will be desperate to close deals asap knowing the coming months is very uncertain

Ask them you are will to do social distance viewing. The agent can stay outside while you take a look yourself grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Kolping: 10:22pm On Apr 01, 2020
Anthony Migchels--Media Incite Panic
March 30, 2020
https://www.henrymakow.com/2020/03/migchels-media-incite-politicians-to-panic.html

DisGuy:

Alarmist...like the way the media go full throttle on worst case scenarios

2 weeks ago they were insinuating BT,Virgin, TalkTalk and co will collapse if there's a lockdown...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 11:37pm On Apr 01, 2020
Mellady:

You have a very nasty attitude, can you please pause for a moment and appreciate the efforts of all health workers and stop judging them. If it pain you too much, maybe you should go back to school and get a health care degree so that you can become a hero and save lives, but before then just keep your insensitive opinions to yourself. If you don't have anything nice to say to health workers, then keep your mouth shut

I have nothing nice to say about health workers?
You’re gifted in selective reading. You somehow missed the post where I praised health workers but focused on my criticism of the fact that health workers are running away from treating/curing.

One sweet fact about this virus is that even if you don’t catch it in the hospital, you’ll still catch it in a shop or from your kids. It’s more honourable to at least catch it while doing your job- so you’d go down as a hero, not a coward.

Truth dey pain sha- I’ve said my own; take or leave.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Olalekank(m): 11:49pm On Apr 01, 2020
Aphrodite007:

I have nothing nice to say about health workers?
You’re gifted in selective reading. You somehow missed the post where I praised health workers but focused on my criticism of the fact that health workers are running away from treating/curing.

One sweet fact about this virus is that even if you don’t catch it in the hospital, you’ll still catch it in a shop or from your kids. It’s more honourable to at least catch it while doing your job- so you’d go down as a hero, not a coward.

Truth dey pain sha- I’ve said my own; take or leave.
I've been following the discussion, and I must admit, however right your view is, it was presented in an insensitive manner.

Their job is to treat people, but giving their whole best to a job while endangering themselves poses even more threat. Nobody signed up to die.

I'm not a health worker BTW

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:30am On Apr 02, 2020
With this type of PPE kits, we shall almost fear no COVID19 evil........ cheesy

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:08am On Apr 02, 2020
Remain retired and remain alive...... I forgot, he also signed up to die......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 5:40am On Apr 02, 2020
For the pet lovers in the house. How do I tell my neighbours that their cute cat is a bully without sounding too crazy. My cat came home with a black eye two days ago when I checked the CCTV, I saw her being attacked by the neighbours cat. She’s stayed in for two days and hasn’t been eating properly. I think she is traumatised. See what Cov19 has caused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqDAxluryaQ
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:09am On Apr 02, 2020
marylandcakes:
For the pet lovers in the house. How do I tell my neighbours that their cute cat is a bully without sounding too crazy. My cat came home with a black eye two days ago when I checked the CCTV, I saw her being attacked by the neighbours cat. She’s stayed in for two days and hasn’t been eating properly. I think she is traumatised. See what Cov19 has caused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqDAxluryaQ

You can show them the video, but nothing can be done...... It's a cat, not a human...... Can you have a 2 way conversation with a cat? Only in cartoons.......

Keep your cat indoors and covert it from an outdoor cat, to an indoor cat.....

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 7:20am On Apr 02, 2020
Lexusgs430:

You can show them the video, but nothing can be done...... It's a cat, not a human...... Can you have a 2 way conversation with a cat? Only in cartoons.......

My cat is an indoor cat but just goes outside for about 30mins for fresh air and to do her business.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:24am On Apr 02, 2020
marylandcakes:

My cat is an indoor cat but just goes outside for about 30mins for fresh air and to do her business.

Get a cat litter and standing fan....... grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 7:32am On Apr 02, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Get a cat litter and standing fan....... grin

She had one when she was a kitten but she prefers to go out. You can’t lock a car indoors against their will. They are free spirits.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:48am On Apr 02, 2020
marylandcakes:

She had one when she was a kitten but she prefers to go out. You can’t lock a cat indoors against their will. They are free spirits.

Oya o, cat lovers...... Better Solution(s)
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:06am On Apr 02, 2020
They are clapping for us again tonight.... And i hear they plan to clap, every Thursday........

Heroes without capes..... AA too is offering free breakdown service, if we breakdown, on our way to the war front.......

This die, we must die am o......... cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:34am On Apr 02, 2020
Lexusgs430:
They are clapping for us again tonight.... And i hear they plan to clap, every Thursday........

Heroes without capes..... AA too is offering free breakdown service, if we breakdown, on our way to the war front.......

This die, we must die am o......... cheesy

Seriously, any healthcare professional still actively going to work right now deserves great accolades oo. It is really ridiculous that they have to fight for something as basic as adequate PPE to do their jobs when construction professionals and Soldiers sent off to fight other countries has standardized and up to date weaponry.

I believe if half of funds designated for fighting other peoples wars is transferred to NHS, we would not be in this mess. When my hubby told me they ration the "tissue" mask for 4hrs, I thought it was his trust but now I can see its a general rule across NHS most likely and this so called mask is not in any way adequate for protection.

If the government can do their part by providing a good environment and equipment to work, people will be willing to fight Covid 19 aggressively and uphold their Hippocratic oath because we definitely don't send soldiers to War zone without adequate intelligence and standardized weaponry to vaporize enemies.

The constant fear families of healthcare professionals face EVERYDAY right now in this country and back home considering a large percentage are immigrants deserves them to also consider the oath made to their families, because my people e no easy with kids, pregancy and vulnerable parents living with some of us. But as usual, may God protect us all and make we dey clap dey go grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:39am On Apr 02, 2020
fatima04:

Seriously, any healthcare professional still actively going to work right now deserves great accolades oo. It is really ridiculous that they have to fight for something as basic as adequate PPE to do their jobs when construction professionals and Soldiers sent off to fight other countries has standardized and up to date weaponry.

I believe if half of funds designated for fighting other peoples wars is transferred to NHS, we would not be in this mess. When my hubby told me they ration the "tissue" mask for 4hrs, I thought it was his trust but now I can see its a general rule across NHS most likely and this so called mask is not in any way adequate for protection.

If the government can do their part by providing a good environment and equipment to work, people will be willing to fight Covid 19 aggressively and uphold their Hippocratic oath because we definitely don't send soldiers to War zone without adequate intelligence and standardized weaponry to vaporize enemies.

The constant fear families of healthcare professionals face EVERYDAY right now in this country and back home considering a large percentage are immigrants deserves them to also consider the oath made to their families, because my people e no easy with kids, pregancy and vulnerable parents living with some of us. But as usual, may God protect us all and make we dey clap dey go grin grin

They also send soldiers to war with equipments and boots, not fight for purpose........

Whilst they earn almost £80K per annum, relaxing and waving fingers.......

I say no more.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:48am On Apr 02, 2020
Lexusgs430:

They also send soldiers to war with equipments and boots, not fight for purpose........

Whilst they earn almost £80K per annum, relaxing and waving fingers.......

I say no more.......

Lol, there would always be need for better but in that case do you want more money or better PPE? smiley or make we just remove Income tax from you guys smiley
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:57am On Apr 02, 2020
fatima04:

Lol, there would always be need for better but in that case do you want more money or better PPE? smiley or make we just remove Income tax from you guys smiley

And pay double........ cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by davide470(m): 9:09am On Apr 02, 2020
Lexusgs430:

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 9:37am On Apr 02, 2020
Lexusgs430:

And pay double........ cheesy

You too like money and now nothing to spend on aside groceries smiley smiley

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by uchman(m): 9:45am On Apr 02, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Lol
Lexus this your advise get K leg
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:48am On Apr 02, 2020
fatima04:

You too like money and now nothing to spend on aside groceries smiley smiley

The joy of logging into your accounts and seeing plenty 000000000000..... It's therapeutic..

Also apply for all payment holidays, so the money go dey grow like a well tendered manured garden....... grin

We're in it together..... Innit..... cool
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:50am On Apr 02, 2020
uchman:

Lol
Lexus this your advise get K leg

In this special times.... A little bit of humour is all we need........ grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by oyoolima: 10:16am On Apr 02, 2020
@marylandcakes

I'm not sure your neighbor will be able to do anything about their bully apart from making sure it doesn't leave their home.

Their cat was practically staring down your own boldly(his/her body language was predatory), while yours was on the defensive and trying to give jabs prematurely till she was knocked down and chased too.

Perhaps she is still afraid and may have to remain indoors more for a period of time while her confidence builds back.

I'm sure the bully will be waiting outside every night to deal.with her,he/she seems like an expert at it.

Sorry o.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 10:30am On Apr 02, 2020
oyoolima:
@marylandcakes

I'm not sure your neighbor will be able to do anything about their bully apart from making sure it doesn't leave their home.

Their cat was practically staring down your own boldly(his/her body language was predatory), while yours was on the defensive and trying to give jabs prematurely till she was knocked down and chased too.

Perhaps she is still afraid and may have to remain indoors more for a period of time while her confidence builds back.

I'm sure the bully will be waiting outside every night to deal.with her,he/she seems like an expert at it.

Sorry o.

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.