Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,452 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (293) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1309359 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by salford1: 8:15pm On Mar 31, 2020
STENON:
Time to put on my face mask while watching the debates from the ogas at the top grin
Is it N95 or FFP2. Asking for a friend cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 8:34pm On Mar 31, 2020
One day everybody shout : we dont need immigrants, we need to control the numbers and charge you heavily in immigration fees

Next day everybody shout: we need you immigrants and we waive the fees

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by oyoolima: 9:42pm On Mar 31, 2020
salford1:

My wife said covid has turned me to a prayer warrior.i replied that it's because I love and care about her.

cheesy cheesy Keep praying oo,it is very necessary!

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by oyoolima: 9:43pm On Mar 31, 2020
As reported in the news.

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Uglyduckling: 9:52pm On Mar 31, 2020
Aphrodite007:

Hospitals are different, maybe yours you guys don’t have enough, or maybe by now it’s finished, but I assure you, there was enough protective equipment at the hospital that I was in. They even gave me some to take home. The nurses just refused to help out.

It was the black ones that we’re running around to help us. They were fearless. I so respected them. That’s why I’m disappointed to see what I’m seeing here because I’ve been boasting about the foreign/black nurses that put their passion first, over the Brit nurses that abandoned us.
Okay ma. We have heard. We are too greedy for money and refuse to work. From tomorrow I’ll start working for free sef. I won’t even use my pseudo PPE since we took an “oath” to die.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 9:53pm On Mar 31, 2020
oyoolima:
There will always be a difference in opinion between actual medics and their families Vs lay men.

People have a lot of romanticism about medicine, viewing medical staff as some sort of martyrs willing to do anything,sacrifice their health and wellbeing even up to death.

It doesn't take a lot for that same populace to turn on you,again a quick example is the junior doctor strike and how hostile the public were.

You should be grateful for your pay,put up and shut up. Adequate rest? Deal with it later.Make a mistake ? GMC will come after you,families will hound you,some doctors and nurses have committed suicide from the hounding leaving behind loved ones.

A huge percentage of the medics have wised up and realised they are only loved by the public when they are perceived to be willing to die.If you dare mention better pay you get the textbook response: Shameless doctor,you only care about money,you're in it for the money.

Any agitation,people start to bring in their ideologies about what a doctor/ nurse should be.

What of the expectation for medics to cherish patients more than themselves or their families?

A medic is first and foremost a human being before being a doctor, nurse,care worker etc.

I have read about being fair weather,lol. Excellent surgeons have almost no empathy,they are competent and methodical and most are on the path of self preservation.I wonder if that makes them fair weather as well,lol

Medics deserve a life,they deserve to see their families,they did NOT sign up to die.

This realisation of how they are regarded has accounted for the haemorrhaging of doctors from the UK to places where they are appreciated and have a better work life balance.

Go and speak to family members of medics ,they will voice their fears..fear of losing dad, mum, sister, brother,uncle,aunt etc

I read a newspaper today where they reported that managers have told medics not to rescusitate covid pxts due to lack of PPE and there was some anger in the comments,lol

They except that you do resus , because IT IS YOUR JOB.Get infected? Sorry. Die? A minute of silence. What happens to your children? your spouse? your mortgage?

Will they say : Haaa this doctor/ nurse died from Covid,all debts will be cancelled? Free University? Free counselling for family?? Naaa! Highest 2 months and you will be forgotten.

Of course some medics will be more altruistic than others ..there are some to whom medicine is their life,it is alright but if you dig deep,their family usually suffers as they are the ones sacrificed on the altar of medicine.

Same type of human beings are found dotted in every occupation,the soldier who will jump ontop.of a grenade for his comrade,the policeman who will shield his partner etc. It is praiseworthy and commendable but the reality is that these people are few and far between, majority of humans are not that magnanimous no matter the profession.

Fortunately or Unfortunately, medics have realised that they deserve a life as well.A medic begins to think..my family? My children?

A massive percentage of medics love their patients but it gets to a point where they start wondering.. no one gives a damn about you in reality. All they want is treatment, perfection and if you die while doing it,so be it. You cannot voice human fears,you cannot say you want to live long and live well.

When the chips are down,they do not care.No one cares. You are only valued when you are seen to be suffering to earn the badge of selfless medic who would put country before self and family .

Police men,fire services and co observe health and safety rules when doing a rescue and will not put themselves in the line of fire without adequate cover.
Will an engineer be sent to.a site without his helmet ? NEVER. They must adhere to health and safety. But a medic? It is their job,the risk they signed up for.

I like how people are comfortable with the doling out of paper masks plus the faux outrage about PPE shortage..Listen to the news and see how it is politically dodged.The PPE has been on the way since eternity,lol.

Look at the guidance, completely different from WHO standard but no one wants to know..line them up like soldiers ,if they drop,it is their job.Hightest,we test for antibodies when convenient.No one really cares.

Hero or Heroine? They sure didn't beg to be elevated to that status.They have been put up there to enforce the romanticism while being pushed to almost certain illness/death.You are only a hero because you would risk yourself even till death,did they beg for the praise?

It's all selfish,it does take a lot of self introspection to realise this.
I'm not against the selfishness,it is inherent and a natural human reaction.

What matters is my response to that.I know what and whom I will be choosing.

I will NEVER watch someone suffer but after my near brush with an asymptomatic man who later turned out to be covid and the near breakdown I had,the risk I posed to my at risk family ,the flippancy of management,I have given myself brain.

Same sentiment is echoed by a lot of colleagues who come into work riddled with fear and anxiety.

I will ALWAYS do my best but with clear boundaries.

Medicine is a JOB, not a lifestyle.
When you sit across from a doctor or nurse and they're nice to you,it's still part of the job. Your wellbeing within reasonable limits is part of their job description.
It may sound cruel and cold but it is what it is.

The sooner people realise this and remove their rose tinted glasses,the less the clapping ,the more the focus on the practicalities,the better.

It is usually a pointless exercise to discuss this with non medics anyways so it's best to save venting for med groups or family members who actually love and care about you.
Bravo!

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by oyoolima: 10:07pm On Mar 31, 2020
Finally,I rest my case.note the underlined.*under NO obligation*

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Uglyduckling: 10:17pm On Mar 31, 2020
oyoolima:
Finally,I rest my case.note the underlined.*under NO obligation*
My dear leave people. Imagine the multi million pound lawsuit if a builder fell off scaffolding because his employer did not not give him the safety wear he needed to climb heights. At one point I was earning less than £2000 a month as a doctor so it boils my blood when people claim we are greedy. Imagine me sacrificing my life for a job that pays me less £2000 a months so that I will win altruist of the year.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Uglyduckling: 10:32pm On Mar 31, 2020
Aphrodite007:

Yes you signed up for the money that’s why you don’t understand the concept and being a hero. How shameless! The real docs that know what they got employed for are probably spitting at the kind of health workers that are now in the field.

When you see my comments, just ignore- I don’t interact with fair-weather medics that only love their job when the going is good.

I have done you the favour of showing you the recommended WHO protective wear and what is obtainable in the NHS. My trust is even Hoarding scrubs. And no this IS NOT what I signed up for. I’ve spent all of today on my feet without even sitting for 30 mins, doing blood tests, seeing patients and holding people’s hands to tell them their swab results have come back positive and we can’t really treat them. Today a 13 year old boy worn no know underlying health problems died from corona virus. It’s a luck of draw how mild or bad each person’s case may be. For someone who has suffered this illness it is shocking that you think doctors and nurses should just suck it up and expose themselves to a virus that could potentially kill them and ignore the negligence from an employer because they took an “oath”. What sacrifice? Would you be taking care of my young kids if I succumbed to the virus because I took an “oath” and knew what I signed up for?

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:33pm On Mar 31, 2020
Uglyduckling:

My dear leave people. Imagine the multi million pound lawsuit if a builder fell off scaffolding because his employer did not not give him the safety wear he needed to climb heights. At one point I was earning less than £2000 a month as a doctor so it boils my blood when people claim we are greedy. Imagine me sacrificing my life for a job that pays me less £2000 a months so that I will win altruist of the year.

Its very surprising how small some doctors and even worse nurses salaries are.... especially for the work they do.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Uglyduckling: 10:40pm On Mar 31, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Its very surprising how small some doctors and even worse nurses salaries are.... especially for the work they do.
Nursing is even the worst. A lot of them earn less than £2000 pounds a month. They have to supplement with extra shifts. That’s why I get very upset when people project health care workers as being greedy or after money.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Olalekank(m): 11:15pm On Mar 31, 2020
nullpointerexception
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 12:00am On Apr 01, 2020
Uglyduckling:

Okay ma. We have heard. We are too greedy for money and refuse to work. From tomorrow I’ll start working for free sef. I won’t even use my pseudo PPE since we took an “oath” to die.

It’s even good. If you don’t, you’ll catch it and sit at home. Or maybe you’ll fall sick and be admitted, then no horse will attend to you because they don’t have PPE. They won’t change your drip even when your blood flows out, they won’t even give you water to drink- cos no PPE.

I said you took an oath to die? Pls show me where I wrote it because it’s as if we need to fix your reading skills.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by teejay231: 2:31am On Apr 01, 2020
It's very easy for some people to sit comfortably in their homes and start judging people who are putting their lives on the line. Someone on here mentioned something about if soldiers die, they die. What kind of callous, stupid and disrespectful statement is that? If you have lost a brother or sister or child in the military then maybe you will understand. A soldier is a human being with a name and family. They sign up to do what most people can't and sometimes pay with their lives.

No healthcare practitioner is paid to put their lives on the line. They are human beings too and have families who love them and don't want to lose them. Every employee regardless of doctors and nurses should be able to carry out their duties without fear of risk or harm.

Please please please keep your insensitivity to yourself and try to have some empathy. I am curious to know when you have ever put your life on line for anyone else or even a stranger?

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fadhilat1: 4:45am On Apr 01, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAk7aX5hksU&fbclid=IwAR2rhZ1hJh8T-FREqNY0h-5Sr6HgTjUwilit_1FcGH6glhTk_esYNoFo29Q

Some insights from the Professor (Professor Kim Woo-joo from Korea University Guro Hospital) leading South Korea's response. Although he spoke Korean all through.. the interview is transcribed in English. I believe some of our health professionals here could find this information useful.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mellady(f): 5:52am On Apr 01, 2020
Aphrodite007:

It’s even good. If you don’t, you’ll catch it and sit at home. Or maybe you’ll fall sick and be admitted, then no horse will attend to you because they don’t have PPE. They won’t change your drip even when your blood flows out, they won’t even give you water to drink- cos no PPE.

I said you took an oath to die? Pls show me where I wrote it because it’s as if we need to fix your reading skills.
You have a very nasty attitude, can you please pause for a moment and appreciate the efforts of all health workers and stop judging them. If it pain you too much, maybe you should go back to school and get a health care degree so that you can become a hero and save lives, but before then just keep your insensitive opinions to yourself. If you don't have anything nice to say to health workers, then keep your mouth shut

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Uglyduckling: 6:34am On Apr 01, 2020
Aphrodite007:

Another person who took an oath to die according to you while earning barely £15/hr if not less. Hopefully you will be going to play his role as husband, father and grand father. I wonder if health care assistants also took an “oath”. The very one you are so obsessed about.
PS: these are the ones who would give me water in the hospital and thank God I am not selfish enough to expect them to wait on me like hotel staff whilst putting their lives at risk without adequate protection

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Uglyduckling: 6:44am On Apr 01, 2020
I’m not selfish enough to think the hospital is a hotel and the staff my hand men and hand maidens because I pay national insurance and taxes which gives me a sense of entitlement.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 8:20am On Apr 01, 2020
Aphrodite007:

My sister ...relax ooo. Everybody knows where their power reach .. My husband is a Gp but in priority he is a father and a husband . We ain't putting covid before family. Everybody knows where their power lies. For us our professional life is not all aspect of our life but just one part.

Kudos to those who choose either way. They know best what battles they get power and the will for . It easy to judge but truly only him or her who wears the shoes

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by salford1: 8:43am On Apr 01, 2020
fadhilat1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAk7aX5hksU&fbclid=IwAR2rhZ1hJh8T-FREqNY0h-5Sr6HgTjUwilit_1FcGH6glhTk_esYNoFo29Q

Some insights from the Professor (Professor Kim Woo-joo from Korea University Guro Hospital) leading South Korea's response. Although he spoke Korean all through.. the interview is transcribed in English. I believe some of our health professionals here could find this information useful.
I watched this 3 or 4 days ago. It's no suprise that they quickly flattened the curve with minimal impact to their economy. They should bring in all ministers of public health, management and decision makers from different countries, lock them up in a room and ensure they watch the video like 10 times on repeat. There should be an exam or test after watching the video as well.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 11:24am On Apr 01, 2020
LagosismyHome:
One day everybody shout : we dont need immigrants, we need to control the numbers and charge you heavily in immigration fees

Next day everybody shout: we need you immigrants and we waive the fees

You know!

All the talk of brexit just disappeared!
Was watching the news about the coming harvest/farming season- extreme staff shortage for all these farms ready to harvest precious fruits and veg, so the next few months will be interesting.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:17pm On Apr 01, 2020
Aphrodite007:

The perfect way to describe the PPE kits presently provided, is akin to a sandwich factory.....

Those selling your favourite bap at subway, wear gloves and apron, to sell your favourite lunch meals..... It's this same PPE, they expect you to wear, to combat an unknown virus, with no known medical cure + tissue mask (I feel the FRC, know the cure), but keeping mute........

Another topic for another day........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:20pm On Apr 01, 2020
Aphrodite007:

The perfect way to describe the PPE kits presently provided, is akin to a sandwich factory.....

Those selling your favourite bap at subway, wear gloves and apron, to sell your favourite lunch meals..... It's this same PPE, they expect you to wear, to combat an unknown virus, with no known medical cure + tissue mask (I feel the PRC, knows the cure), but keeping mute........

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 12:27pm On Apr 01, 2020
fadhilat1:

Not surprised at all.

Let me tell you.
If u are a Korean nationality and have stayed in UK from a yr and above, u are automatically disqualified to donate blood.
Why?
Cos they don't want mad cow disease roaming around.
That's how health conscious that country is.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 12:30pm On Apr 01, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Those selling your favourite bap at subway, wear gloves and apron, to sell your favourite lunch meals..... It's this same PPE, they expect you to wear, to combat an unknown virus, with no known medical cure + tissue mask (I feel the PRC, knows the cure), but keeping mute........

Forget what u hear about low death in China.
China recorded more than 7thousand deaths officially and still counting.
Gagging the press and deceased families because of the after effect of the virus.
I even read they pay 3 thousand yuan to deceased families so they wont spill.
Trust China at your own peril.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 1:08pm On Apr 01, 2020
sassysure:

China recorded more than 7thousand 70 to 100 thousand deaths officially true figure and still counting.
Gagging the press and deceased families because of the after effect of the virus.

Let me help you correct this and put their true figure...... china oo sad

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Soknown: 1:16pm On Apr 01, 2020
Aphrodite007:

Hospitals are different, maybe yours you guys don’t have enough, or maybe by now it’s finished, but I assure you, there was enough protective equipment at the hospital that I was in. They even gave me some to take home. The nurses just refused to help out.

It was the black ones that we’re running around to help us. They were fearless. I so respected them. That’s why I’m disappointed to see what I’m seeing here because I’ve been boasting about the foreign/black nurses that put their passion first, over the Brit nurses that abandoned us.
I salute your passion in demanding responsibility and courage from the system. But let me take on the buzzer issue first. I have ignored buzzers a couple of times for some moments and I have observed diligent and caring managers do same. It's called prioritizing, I don't claim to know the circumstances of the unit when the buzzer of your co-patient went off, but I can bet there was most possibly important and life threatening issues being dealt with by the staff. There was a particular night duty, I had two elderly and delirious patients under my care, one pressed the bell because she needed the commode, on my way to get one for her because the healthcare assistants were busy with another patient. Then the second delirious patient had a fall and started bleeding ( for whom I have requested for 1:1 specialling, but was declined). I pressed the emergency bell, every one left whatever they were doing and came round to help, We assisted the patient back to bed with a full hoist and started full observations, I went to the phone to make a MET call. The first patient that needed a commode started shouting. Of course passersby would think, the nurse left this patient in limbo and was making calls. This is just one example out of many real cases. Forget what happens in movies, hospitals are real time places where real time and time bound decisions are made.
A nurse committed suicide in Italy as reported, when she tested positive to Covid19, she left a note, that she feared she must have spread the disease unknowingly to other patients.
Without PPE, no one is safe, the staff, the patients, the system and the society.
Some bays are closed because, no staff to man them, because the staff are either in post-exposure isolation or protective isolation.
I got news this morning that some colleagues on a particular ward that I have worked tested positive, one was reportedly being intubated. These are people that I have worked with, friends that we have have shared chocolate and cookies during breaks, jokes and pranks, healthy people without preexisting conditions, would I be ok to see them in the situation they are now.
As I have said before on this platform, the whole world can do with a lot of positivity and encouragement right now.
I rest my case here.

14 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 1:22pm On Apr 01, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Let me help you correct this and put their true figure...... china oo sad
shocked
cheesy
I read that one funeral home recorded 2,500 intake in 2 days for cremation.
If in 2 days, one funeral home has 5thousand, how about the other funeral homes.
The director of this particular funeral home asked this question.

Forget China. A country where there is no freedom in using social media etc
People are ready to burst their bubbles if they have free access to use internet as they want.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:57pm On Apr 01, 2020
sassysure:

shocked
cheesy
I read that one funeral home recorded 2,500 intake in 2 days for cremation.
If in 2 days, one funeral home has 5thousand, how about the other funeral homes.
The director of this particular funeral home asked this question.

Forget China. A country where there is no freedom in using social media etc
People are ready to burst their bubbles if they have free access to use internet as they want.

Some funeral directors wants the government to put them too on lockdown.....

If COVID19 does not lead to the collapse of the NHS, i feel nothing else can.........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 2:27pm On Apr 01, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Are there any shares you would recommend

Dyson

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by salford1: 3:12pm On Apr 01, 2020
In Iceland, around 5% of the population were tested. 50% of those that tested positive show no symptoms (asymptomatic), confirming multiple studies that show that asymptomatic, or mildly symptomatic, people have played an important role in spreading the virus.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by claremont(m): 3:45pm On Apr 01, 2020
sassysure:

China recorded more than 7thousand deaths officially and still counting.

If you disagree with the data emanating from China regarding Covid19, you will also disagree with the WHO data. The WHO has monitors in China who are there partly to understudy the chinese model for dealing with the virus, but mainly to ensure that the data from China is accurate and validated. Let's assume that the data from China and the WHO are both wrong, it still doesn't explain why data from other countries like South Korea, Germany, Italy, France etc actually mirror the chinese data in terms of disease spread, trajectory, mortality rate, importance of mass testing and mass lockdown procedures etc.

When China shutdown a lot of their cities to combat this virus at the early stages, a lot of countries slagged them off as a communist regime perpetuating draconian policies. The same countries have since adopted similar strategies to combat the virus.

We owe a lot to China on understanding how this virus works. The only reason the worldwide deathtoll isn't worse than it currently is is because China has been very open specifically regarding data on this virus. I could talk more on the relevance of the data from China, but let me rest here for now.

I disagree with China on a lot of things, but as an avid lover of public health science and epidemiology, China has been spot on on this specific issue.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.