Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (319) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1305577 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:13pm On May 24, 2020
EngrSaks:

Lol, to balance the equation maybe you should use do pH test on your next bottled water like you did a scaling test on tap water �

Oga, life is too short, to take a shot at pH level testing....... Do i look like a nerd...... grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 11:19pm On May 24, 2020
dustydee:

I hesitate to drink tap water in London simply because of the leaky mains I have seen and the old piping works in buildings, which I cannot trust their integrity. It's a personal choice though.

Yeah those could affect but generally if the water is odourless, colourless and without particles then it's really not bad.

Leaky mains should be reported to the water company though
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 11:22pm On May 24, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Very informative......

although I am curious on the source of info. From work experience?

Story for another day, lol grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 11:26pm On May 24, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Oga, life is too short, to take a shot at pH level testing....... Do i look like a nerd...... grin

grin it's easy o, using litmus paper will give u a broad idea...but to get a proper value you fit order pH meter on Ebay, shouldnt be expensive...possibility of drinking Acidic water is more harmful o wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:34pm On May 24, 2020
EngrSaks:

grin it's easy o, using litmus paper will give u a broad idea...but to get a proper value you fit order pH meter on Ebay, shouldnt be expensive...possibility of drinking Acidic water is more harmful o wink

Oya i no go drink water again...... I go switch to red wine...... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 11:37pm On May 24, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Oya i no go drink water again...... I go switch to red wine...... cheesy

Hahahahaha
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tobexin(m): 11:40pm On May 24, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Your act is as confused as your question..... But you're the only one, confusing yourself........

If the police stops you, which driving licence would you produce?

What are the conditions attached to driving a vehicle in the uk, using a provisional licence?

Did you tell your insurer, you would be using your 9ja DL to drive?

If over a year in the UK, you cannot use an international license. .....

After all said, it's an illegal act if you're driving alone, without a UK license holder, that is legally able to teach you on the uk roads + L plates on the front + rear......

If and when caught, expect to warm the judges bench + fine + ban + vehicle seizure.........
i intend to show them my Niaja driving license. I was told police won’t bother so far my car is insured. I just got to Uk In January.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:45pm On May 24, 2020
Tobexin:
i intend to show them my Niaja driving license. I was told police won’t bother so far my car is insured. I just got to Uk In January.

Police would not bother........ Slap all the people that told you so, beta dirty slaps.........

Without a valid DL, your insurance is null & void........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tobexin(m): 11:51pm On May 24, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Police would not bother........ Slap all the people that told you so, beta dirty slaps.........

Without a valid DL, your insurance is null & void........
but my naija driving license is valid? If caught will it reflect on my DBS?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:52pm On May 24, 2020
Tobexin:

Your 9ja DL is invalid, if not backed up by an IDL........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:53pm On May 24, 2020
Tobexin:

Do your cherish your DBS record?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tobexin(m): 12:02am On May 25, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Do your cherish your DBS record?
over cherish bro. What is IDL?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:38am On May 25, 2020
Tobexin:

International Driving Licence......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:39am On May 25, 2020
Tobexin:

Hence you don't want any criminal records.........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 12:41am On May 25, 2020
illusory:

O boy, you don turn Glaswegian abi lmao...

Honestly.. the only accent is find ridiculously funny and interesting. Picked up few bits and pieces.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Monmarri: 2:26am On May 25, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Does her husband have a full uk licence, that is 3 years +?

If he does, he can teach her more, and use driving instructors less?
Yes the hubby have but she said that the hubby is always busy. So do you suggest she learn driving in the UK or Nigeria Pls?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Monmarri: 2:27am On May 25, 2020
nomad26:
She doesn't need an international driving licence. The regular Nigerian licence is sufficient. But then, how does she qualify for a Nigerian licence if if she can't even drive?
Best bet is for her to learn in the UK and work towards getting her driving licence here.

Ok thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:32am On May 25, 2020
Monmarri:

Yes the hubby have but she said that the hubby is always busy. So do you suggest she learn driving in the UK or Nigeria Pls?

Only if she would practice on an open field, with no other drivers/humans in sight ..........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:35am On May 25, 2020
Monmarri:

To play, she must be prepared to pay.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 3:16am On May 25, 2020
This is very true, one of my lecturers back then in uni said almost the same thing and advised us to save some money by drinking tap water that it’s safe to drink.

However, it will interest you to know that some people find it hard to swallow tap water. It’s too hard for them to swallow, hence they have to buy/drink filtered water

EngrSaks:
The water industry has very strict regulations with little or no room for errors. So I personally think it's a waste of resources drinking bottled Water in the UK.

The water in London has a peculiar taste but no water treatment plant will push out water that is below set water standards knowing fully well people can sue.

The truth is, water from treatment plants pushed to taps are usually safest, they might be hard but the hardness is within certain limits (because there is a level of hardness allowed in treated water). The level isnt even bad because it gives the body calcium and magnesium. The only issue with hard water is you use more soap in washing

However bottled water usually comes with lower pH due to the treatment methods used in its production...levels that are close to acid levels and can make people ill over time

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Monmarri: 3:19am On May 25, 2020
Lexusgs430:

To play, she must be prepared to pay.....

I don't understand pls. Kindly explain
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Monmarri: 3:20am On May 25, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Only if she would practice on an open field, with no other drivers/humans in sight ..........

? Me no understand. Explain pls
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 3:29am On May 25, 2020
Yes bro, you need international driving license (IDL) to drive in the UK and it’s only valid for 1 year from the day of arrival in the UK.

Your IDL becomes invalid the moment you are issued a provisional license.

So if you get pulled over and they find your details on the DVLA database, you will be charged as driving with a provisional license unsupervised and with no insurance as your insurance would be nullified immediately.

NB: condition to drive with a provisional license is to be accompanied/supervised with someone over the age of 25 who’s had their FULL license for minimum of 3 years

Tobexin:
House any offense on this ?

Driving my car with naija driving license

Insured with UK provisional license
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 3:42am On May 25, 2020
20k with current exchange rate is about £36 what a bargain compared to the hourly rate driving instructors charge here in the UK (average of £20/hr)

Let her start the learning process in Nigeria to build her confidence on the road. When she arrives the UK, she should register with a driving sch to get the 1st 3 or 5 lessons discount (as the case maybe)

Then the husband can take over until she’s confident enough.

That’s the best way to safe money, otherwise it takes about 40-50 lessons (or even more depending on learning speed and confidence) to learn from scratch to getting a license.

Now do the maths...

Monmarri:
Hello house my cousin sister will be joining her hubby in the UK after the covid whara. She wants to learn how to drive for two weeks but, I was contemplating with her if, learning in UK not better than learning here in Nigeria. Because I feel that if she gets to UK she will start all over instead of wasting her money to learn in Nigeria. The one she wants to start for two weeks is N20,000 for just two weeks. Please dear house any suggestions or advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 3:51am On May 25, 2020
Chances are very high of you get the certification (HCPC)

Kenny242:
Oh!! finally got to last page!!
Thanks to u guys have learnt alot?
I just want to ask the chances of a biochem graduate getting a job in the UK!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Monmarri: 6:21am On May 25, 2020
omopapa:
20k with current exchange rate is about £36 what a bargain compared to the hourly rate driving instructors charge here in the UK (average of £20/hr)

Let her start the learning process in Nigeria to build her confidence on the road. When she arrives the UK, she should register with a driving sch to get the 1st 3 or 5 lessons discount (as the case maybe)

Then the husband can take over until she’s confident enough.

That’s the best way to safe money, otherwise it takes about 40-50 lessons (or even more depending on learning speed and confidence) to learn from scratch to getting a license.

Now do the maths...

Ok. Thank you. I will advice her to take up a driving lesson here in Nigeria
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tobexin(m): 7:30am On May 25, 2020
omopapa:
Yes bro, you need international driving license (IDL) to drive in the UK and it’s only valid for 1 year from the day of arrival in the UK.

Your IDL becomes invalid the moment you are issued a provisional license.

So if you get pulled over and they find your details on the DVLA database, you will be charged as driving with a provisional license unsupervised and with no insurance as your insurance would be nullified immediately.

NB: condition to drive with a provisional license is to be accompanied/supervised with someone over the age of 25 who’s had their FULL license for minimum of 3 years

any verifiable link to this on Gov.uk because the information there from yours is different
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 7:46am On May 25, 2020
Tobexin:

I drove with my US license for the first year and still had provisional license to which my car was insured by . However i never got stopped by the Police so i cannot say what would have happened but if stopped it would be flagged that the car is insured and Uk allows you to use foreign license for up to one year

However this is still tricky if an accident happens and you are alone in the car , the insurance will not pay since provisional shouldn't be alone . So technically that car is uninsured in reality but insured on paper

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Jayvallia: 7:59am On May 25, 2020
Tobexin:

Well its not an offence to drive with an international license under 1year while you also have a british provisional license. But what qualities you to drive in that case is the international licence and that's what you should present if stopped by law enforcement. Cheers
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 8:06am On May 25, 2020
I kind of do grin. Good morning boss.
—————————————————
Does anyone have a contact for air cargo from uk to Nigeria regardless of how small the kg is? Some cargo companies require a particular minimum hence why I said that. It’s really urgent and important pls. Help a sister. Thank you.

Lexusgs430:

Do you have xray vision?...... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:30am On May 25, 2020
Mimzyy:
I kind of do grin. Good morning boss.
—————————————————
Does anyone have a contact for air cargo from uk to Nigeria regardless of how small the kg is? Some cargo companies require a particular minimum hence why I said that. It’s really urgent and important pls. Help a sister. Thank you.

Morning Madam,

Send her a WhatsApp message or call - 07903520953
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 8:51am On May 25, 2020
I checked my kettle and there’s limescale but not so much. So, I’m going to purchase the filter jug as advised. Have actually had one lying in my argos basket for weeks now. That should help right? I just don’t like piling up plastics.

Found the attached online. Your opinion?

Lexusgs430:

British people do a lot of things, that are detrimental to their health...... Do you want me to start listing them?......

Whenever i go shopping, although i have been banned (i am been accused of always buying more expensive options), I see lots of British people buying bottled water.......

Don't get me wrong, i am not saying the water is poisonous (if compared with water coming out of our taps in Nigeria).....

But ask yourself this pertinent question.... Do you have limescale in your kettle? I say no more......... grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.