Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,372 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (359) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1307310 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kode12: 7:38am On Aug 03, 2020
Fynebouy:
Hello gòod people,

Hope our weekends have been great. I have a few questions that I will appreciate your help with.

1. Is there any one here working in the health and safety sector, or HSE or oil and gas industry who can give me some tips how to get a job in that sector or industry or both?

2. I have been out of work for about 3 years (pregnancy and childcare) and looking to return to work, any advice on what to do to break in. Any remote work advice especially as I still have under 5s to care for.

Many thanks for your responses.

God bless.
Try checking out Sitel or Serco on Indeed. They've recruited thousands for the Test and Trace program, they might still be recruiting and its work from home.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kode12: 7:42am On Aug 03, 2020
brine:
Hi. Does anyone knows how to transfer cash in pounds from a Uk bank account to a GTB domiciliary account
I'm sure you can do that from your bank app. If the recipient account is a GBP dorm account, what you'll receive in Nigeria is £
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by walesho(m): 10:42pm On Aug 03, 2020
Zeecos:

For my Lloyd's account, I just transfer directly using my mobile app. It has international transfer as an option. Or you could use your bank card to transfer money via transferwise and the likes.

I want to open Lloyds savings account too, I just need your advice on the one to go for
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tolajay: 4:25am On Aug 04, 2020
CANDID QUESTION

Is there anyone here regretting relocating to the UK from Nigeria?

If yes, to what extent on a scale of 1-10?

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 5:38am On Aug 04, 2020
tolajay:
CANDID QUESTION

Is there anyone regretting relocating to the UK from Nigeria?

Thanks

CANDID QUESTION:
Are you asking your candid question from Nigeria or from the UK?

On a scale of 1-10

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:36am On Aug 04, 2020
RalphJean:

CANDID QUESTION:
Are you asking your candid question from Nigeria or from the UK?

On a scale of 1-10

After almost 30 years........ Does it sound like a regret?

Regrets, only if Nigeria is/was better than dubai..... Unfortunately, in my lifetime this would never be achieved........ wink

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 6:55am On Aug 04, 2020
tolajay:
CANDID QUESTION

Thanks

Regretted not leaving earlier

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 7:57am On Aug 04, 2020
tolajay:
CANDID QUESTION

Thanks
Sometimes. As for scale, I'd say 6.
I hope to go back in a few years.
The UK has been good to me but I miss home and feel I would be doing much better than I am currently. Plus family and friends back home.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 9:14am On Aug 04, 2020
tolajay:
CANDID QUESTION

Thanks
Una good morning,

Only thing I miss about Nigeria, is fresh food. But, no regrets...

I used to tell my wife to take my to Nigeria when am dead but on a second thought let then cremates me here and spread my ashes into the sea...
Aside from corruption and exploitation of poor people what else works in Nigeria ? Nothing.
No electricity, no healthcare, no security, no food, no sanitation, no transportation.......

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 9:22am On Aug 04, 2020
tolajay:
CANDID QUESTION

Thanks

if you are here legally, it's difficult to see how you would regret your decision.
Whatever your level or qualification in life, it's highly likely that you're doing far better here than in an equivalent position in Nigeria, in financial terms, as well as quality of life metrics.

The only caveat is if you enjoyed political patronage in Nigeria, or were part of the ruling class - in what case, you wouldn't even be here.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 9:36am On Aug 04, 2020
You’ve said it all with your first line bro.

nihilistjnr:

if you are here legally, it's difficult to see how you would regret your decision.
Whatever your level or qualification in life, it's highly likely that you're doing far better here than in an equivalent position in Nigeria, in financial terms, as well as quality of life metrics.

The only caveat is if you enjoyed political patronage in Nigeria, or were part of the ruling class - in what case, you wouldn't even be here.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 9:39am On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

Totally agree with your conclusion....I thought having a degree, master in engineering from a UK university would take me far in life��... I was wrong....
I went to my village where all the oil companies in Nigeria are located I could not even secure an opportunity to submit my CV.
Started up a business but it failed as the staffs where only milking me as a londonboy ���......
Only if you’ve got godfather or you are entangled in the ruling political class that you can make it there ...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 10:38am On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

This may well be the case for many but for me the reverse is the case. I effectively took a pay cut to accept an offer here with the hope that I will be able to grow very fast but I later realised that where I am now is below where I'd have been had I stayed on my former job. I had never dreamt of living outside the country until this job offer. In all I thank God because He has been faithful and even though I am not fulfilled, many wish they were in my shoes.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Zeecos(f): 10:38am On Aug 04, 2020
walesho:

I want to open Lloyds savings account too, I just need your advice on the one to go for
I opened both a savings and a current account with them. I just went to the branch closest to me with the required documents, and an adviser talked me through the process.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AeeNgy(f): 10:50am On Aug 04, 2020
dgee1:
Sorry I'm bringing this here, I just feel there must people here with lots of experience about parcels sent to Nigeria from the UK.

An item was sent to me from the UK since 30th of May through Royalmail but it hasn't arrived. The last update about the item was on June 2nd and it reads "Your item has left the UK and on its way to destination country". The service used won't provide further details once parcel leaves the UK.

Local post office here say they can't track the parcel on their system. Please has anyone here used Royalmail with this period? I want to know whether the item is lost or they've just done me strong thing here by stealing it. I'm worried...

Thanks.

Hi,

I know this might be a late response.
Speaking from a personal experience, the first time I sent a parcel to Nigeria from UK via Royal Mail ( Post Office), my parcel ended up in South Africa then Namibia (reason given was because the tag had come off during transportation) before it finally landed in Nigeria (approximately 2.5 months).
Although the parcel was sent through Royal Mail, I found out that it was actually Parcel Force that was responsible for the delivery to Nigeria.
If you haven't received the parcel yet, ask the sender to try and contact Parcel Force and give them a description of the parcel.
Hope you get it if you haven't already.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 11:24am On Aug 04, 2020
tolajay:
CANDID QUESTION

Thanks

Nothing works in Nigeria. Full stop.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 11:46am On Aug 04, 2020
5gee:

This may well be the case for many but for me the reverse is the case. I effectively took a pay cut to accept an offer here with the hope that I will be able to grow very fast but I later realised that where I am now is below where I'd have been had I stayed on my former job. I had never dreamt of living outside the country until this job offer. In all I thank God because He has been faithful and even though I am not fulfilled, many wish they were in my shoes.

I can't speak to your situation as I'm not privy to it.

However, if i'm allowed to speculate, it sounds like the job you took here is not on par with the job you left.

At a very basic level, exchange rate alone ensures that you earn more in the UK than the exact same role in Nigeria.

If my assumptions are true, then your case is different as my statement was based on a like-for-like comparison.

Of course, if you were a banker in Naija, and then moved here to work in care as an example, then of course you're unlikely to feel fulfilled and satisfied.

The pay cut suggests to me that leaving the country, rather than professional development, was the primary driver for taking that job. In that case, you must not forget that the job was merely a means to an end.

If you were able to get a job on Merit in Nigeria that paid so well, then you have what it takes to get the same job in the UK, in the same sector, for better pay. It might be that you need to acquire some recognised accreditation to qualify your work experience in Nigeria.

My advice would be look for job adverts for your role, see what employers are looking for, and tailor you CV accordingly.

Obviously being in an economic downturn at the moment doesn't help matters, but all things being equal, you're still on balance better off here than back home.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:51am On Aug 04, 2020
wallg123:

Una good morning,

Only thing I miss about Nigeria, is fresh food. But, no regrets...

I used to tell my wife to take my to Nigeria when am dead but on a second thought let then cremates me here and spread my ashes into the sea...
Aside from corruption and exploitation of poor people what else works in Nigeria ? Nothing.
No electricity, no healthcare, no security, no food, no sanitation, no transportation.......

Why cremate, then poured into the sea....... Cold go still catch you nah.......

Why not cremated, then put in an urn, then placed on the cabinet, above the fire place......... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 12:17pm On Aug 04, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Why cremate, then poured into the sea....... Cold go still catch you nah.......

Why not cremated, then put in an urn, then placed on the cabinet, above the fire place......... cheesy
Oga already cremation dey like hell fire oh... I need to cool off for the sea���....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:19pm On Aug 04, 2020
wallg123:

Oga already cremation dey like hell fire oh... I need to cool off for the sea���....

Very true..... Absolutely...... grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 12:49pm On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

I can't speak to your situation as I'm not privy to it.

However, if i'm allowed to speculate, it sounds like the job you took here is not on par with the job you left.
Your speculation was wrong. It was similar to what I had, I took it because I wanted "international" experience but it turned out that I actually had a lot of the experience from Nigeria, I just didn't know it.

At a very basic level, exchange rate alone ensures that you earn more in the UK than the exact same role in Nigeria.
as at then, the pay was similar going by the exchange rate then. But this is beyond the pay, there were other benefits and also the cost of living. This I did not consider or I was too restless then.

The pay cut suggests to me that leaving the country, rather than professional development, was the primary driver for taking that job. In that case, you must not forget that the job was merely a means to an end.
As I mentioned, leaving the country was not on my mind then. Where I come from, we are not crazy about living abroad - travel? Yes.

If you were able to get a job on Merit in Nigeria that paid so well, then you have what it takes to get the same job in the UK, in the same sector, for better pay. It might be that you need to acquire some recognised accreditation to qualify your work experience in Nigeria.
I admit I did undersell myself and this was because I discounted my experience in Nigeria. At the moment I earn quite well (comfortably in the top 15% in the UK by earnings) but the desire is still there. I need to earn and save a lot more to be comfortable to the level I would have been had I stayed back. Also, there are some jobs that do not come around often in Nigeria. Sometimes it takes years for recruitment exercises to take place.

My advice would be look for job adverts for your role, see what employers are looking for, and tailor you CV accordingly.

Thanks for your concern. wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 1:42pm On Aug 04, 2020
5gee:

Your speculation was wrong. It was similar to what I had, I took it because I wanted "international" experience but it turned out that I actually had a lot of the experience from Nigeria, I just didn't know it.

as at then, the pay was similar going by the exchange rate then. But this is beyond the pay, there were other benefits and also the cost of living. This I did not consider or I was too restless then.

As I mentioned, leaving the country was not on my mind then. Where I come from, we are not crazy about living abroad - travel? Yes.

I admit I did undersell myself and this was because I discounted my experience in Nigeria. At the moment I earn quite well (comfortably in the top 15% in the UK by earnings) but the desire is still there. I need to earn and save a lot more to be comfortable to the level I would have been had I stayed back. Also, there are some jobs that do not come around often in Nigeria. Sometimes it takes years for recruitment exercises to take place.

At face value, there are a number of contradictions in your post

1. You had a lot of work experience BUT you didn't know you had work experience

2. You're not crazy to move abroad, BUT you took on pay cut and a higher cost of living to get international experience....and despite not being happy here, you haven't moved back especially as you now have the international experience

3. The UK job was similar to the Naija job, BUT you undersold your Naija work experience to get it.

Are you happy to continue this discussion, as I dont want to ask questions that might be interpreted as prying.

If you are, I have a couple of questions. If you dont then we can leave it.

One thing that stands out is that if you got a similar job here in the UK whilst underselling your experience, then that suggests to me that you weren't going for the same role.

If you're an experienced hire, going for and getting a job without emphasising your experience, then surely that job doesn't require experience, which indicates less responsibility, which indicates less pay, no?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Olalekank(m): 1:56pm On Aug 04, 2020
5gee:

I think the experience differs for everyone though tbh. Everyone has their reasons for moving.

"I need to earn and save a lot more to be comfortable to the level I would have been had I stayed back..."
What would you say is the reason for your "regret"? Is it as a result of not earning as much as you WOULD back here in Nigeria?

Are you in the tech field by any means?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 1:56pm On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

2. You're not crazy to move abroad, BUT you took on pay cut and a higher cost of living to get international experience....and despite not being happy here, you haven't moved back especially as you now have the international experience

3. The UK job was similar to the Naija job, BUT you undersold your Naija work experience to get it.

Are you happy to continue this discussion, as I dont want to ask questions that might be interpreted as prying.

One thing that stands out is that if you got a similar job here in the UK whilst underselling your experience, then that suggests to me that you weren't going for the same role.

If you're an experienced hire, going for and getting a job without emphasising your experience, then surely that job doesn't require experience, which indicates less responsibility, which indicates less pay, no?

Me too, I noticed the inconsistencies but didn’t want to point them out for fear of being accused of prying.

If I was the one who now regrets leaving a ‘big’ job in Nigeria, I would kuku return to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 2:02pm On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

I did not say I had a lot of work experience, I said I discounted my work experience meaning I did not value it because I was expecting more. After I joined that company, I realised that my experience in Nigeria was actually okay. I took a pay cut because I wanted more. International experience, more earning potential and I was young and restless. My experience in Nigeria actually helped in getting the job. By saying I under sold myself, I meant I should have gone for a higher position instead of something at a similar level. In fact in less than a year, I doing jobs at 2 or 3 grades above my level.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 2:05pm On Aug 04, 2020
RalphJean:

Me too, I noticed the inconsistencies but didn’t want to point them out for fear of being accused of prying.

If I was the one who now regrets leaving a ‘big’ job in Nigeria, I would kuku return to Nigeria.

To me, it sounds like he was overqualified for the job he got.

That's the only explanation for looking back in regret to Nigeria. If you were a manager, and then moved to UK to become a line report to someone in the role you used to have, then I would understand.

A job paying 12 million Naira annual salary is a fantastic job in Nigeria.
At current exchange rate, that's like 4-5k UNDER the national average UK annual salary

So I cant understand how he would be doing better in Nigeria on a salary basis.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 2:08pm On Aug 04, 2020
Olalekank:

I think the experience differs for everyone though tbh. Everyone has their reasons for moving.

"I need to earn and save a lot more to be comfortable to the level I would have been had I stayed back..."
What would you say is the reason for your "regret"? Is it as a result of not earning as much as you WOULD back here in Nigeria?

Are you in the tech field by any means?
Financial security is one of them - I like to have savings and investments and no need to worry about working. I also like job satisfaction, which is one of the reasons I moved and want to move. I want to also be able to help people as I used to when I was back home, too many people to take care of but not enough spare resources as I would like.
yes IT related.

Why am I being interrogated and those without regrets aren't? Were people not expecting to hear this?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Babygal2020(f): 2:10pm On Aug 04, 2020
Good afternoon all. Pls help a sister. How do I migrate to UK? I'm a Microbiologist. Graduated with 2:1.... I have made some inquiries and discovered I need to be HCPC registered(it seems I need additional qualifications to be able to do this)
Any tips? Pls help me. I don't want to exaggerate but I'm very sound academically.
@omopapa , I also need your help.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 2:11pm On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

To me, it sounds like he was overqualified for the job he got.

That's the only explanation for looking back in regret to Nigeria. If you were a manager, and then moved to UK to become a line report to someone in the role you used to have, then I would understand.

A job paying 12 million Naira annual salary is a fantastic job in Nigeria.
At current exchange rate, that's like 4-5k [b]UNDER[/b]the national average UK annual salary

So I cant understand how he would be doing better in Nigeria on a salary basis.
I left my job on a graduate level.
Please do not forget that just because the pound has more value does not mean that their purchasing power in the respective countries is the same.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 2:11pm On Aug 04, 2020
5gee:

I did not say I had a lot of work experience, I said I discounted my work experience meaning I did not value it because I was expecting more. After I joined that company, I realised that my experience in Nigeria was actually okay. I took a pay cut because I wanted more. International experience, more earning potential and I was young and restless. My experience in Nigeria actually helped in getting the job. By saying I under sold myself, I meant I should have gone for a higher position instead of something at a similar level. In fact in less than a year, I doing jobs at 2 or 3 grades above my level.

And therein lies the crux of the matter.
By your own admission, based on your previous experience, you should have been going for a higher position than the role you applied for.

If you're currently doing jobs 2 or 3 grades above your level, that indicates significant growth, which means that you're now ready to go for the roles at the level you need to be at. Have you considered going for those kind of roles?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 2:15pm On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

And therein lies the crux of the matter.
By your own admission, based on your previous experience, you should have been going for a higher position than the role you applied for.

If you're currently doing jobs 2 or 3 grades above your level, that indicates significant growth, which means that you're now ready to go for the roles at the level you need to be at. Have you considered going for those kind of roles?
No Sir, this was ages ago, when I moved from a graduate role to another graduate role. I am now at manager level and still feel the same even though my earnings have improved significantly.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 2:16pm On Aug 04, 2020
5gee:

I left my job on a graduate level.
Please do not forget that just because the pound has more value does not mean that their purchasing power in the respective countries is the same.

The argument around purchasing power is moot in a leveraged economy like the UK's

(1) (2) (3) ... (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.