Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,562 members, 7,820,033 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:43 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (361) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1309716 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Cigbojugha: 9:24am On Aug 05, 2020
justwise:

Chasing career and money in detriment of children cause more damage, i don't blame women who decided to stay home to look after their kids if the husband earns enough to care for the family. Bringing up well behaved children in the west is more than 24hrs job and can not be left in the hands on nannies.

I totally agree with you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:40am On Aug 05, 2020
justwise:

Chasing career and money in detriment of children cause more damage, i don't blame women who decided to stay home to look after their kids if the husband earns enough to care for the family. Bringing up well behaved children in the west is more than 24hrs job and can not be left in the hands on nannies.

Well ..... not all housewives children are well behaved. It depends on the individual. Some mothers are at home but don't even do basic assignment with kids or activities. You see a lot of the benefit mothers not working in UK whose kids are yobs/ gangs yet the mothers are at home 24/7

I seen many working class mothers whose kids are well behaved . I think either way working or not working you just have to make time to instil the doctrine you want in your kids

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 10:12am On Aug 05, 2020
justwise:

It's not feasible for the average man to sustain a single income household long term. I know this from experience as I've been doing it from October 2018 to literally just yesterday when my wife started a new job (She was doing her masters).

If you assume a family of 4, living on a two bed rental property - Let's give the guy a generous annual salary of £40k - that's £2450 a month after tax
For arguments sake lets place this family in the midlands where average monthly rent is £800.
Lets say running costs including internet energy, water and council tax come to another £250
Lets say monthly cost of food is £200 (£50 a week)
Lets say they have two cars paying £400 for both

Before you say you even want to buy something for yourself - you've already spent 1650.

That means you have only around £800 a month in disposable income, and you need to build savings.

Statistically, it's more likely that if you're black, you live in london, which means your rent is somewhere in the 1200-1700 range as a conservative estimate

If you're earning 40K gaan, you're in the top 20% earners in the UK, meaning that statistically speaking it's more likely that you're not even earning that much.

There's no point in trying to train your kids Naija style at the expense of upward mobility. The best thing anyone can do for their kids in this country is to create a source of generational wealth for them, most likely through owning at least one property that they can inherit.

And you're statistically unlikely to achieve that on a single income household.

I know you mentioned if the man can afford it sha, but chances that the average man can afford it is extremely unlikely.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by OBYNOWEST12(m): 11:48am On Aug 05, 2020
Is not easy ooooo. To be a man no easy.

nihilistjnr:

It's not feasible for the average man to sustain a single income household long term. I know this from experience as I've been doing it from October 2018 to literally just yesterday when my wife started a new job (She was doing her masters).

If you assume a family of 4, living on a two bed rental property - Let's give the guy a generous annual salary of £40k - that's £2450 a month after tax
For arguments sake lets place this family in the midlands where average monthly rent is £800.
Lets say running costs including internet energy, water and council tax come to another £250

Before you say you even want to buy something for yourself - you've already spent 1650.

That means you have only around £800 a month in disposable income, and you need to build savings.

Statistically, it's more likely that if you're black, you live in london, which means your rent is somewhere in the 1200-1700 range as a conservative estimate

If you're earning 40K gaan, you're in the top 20% earners in the UK, meaning that statistically speaking it's more likely that you're not even earning that much.

There's no point in trying to train your kids Naija style at the expense of upward mobility. The best thing anyone can do for their kids in this country is to create a source of generational wealth for them, most likely through owning at least one property that they can inherit.

I know you mentioned if the man can afford it sha, but chances that the average man can afford it is extremely unlikely.

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 12:45pm On Aug 05, 2020
Ace2013:
My people o, do we have chartered accountants currently practicing in the UK here. Which is advisable ACCA/ CIMA/ICAEW? Long term opportunities and pay wise?

ACCA is more universal, CIMA has got its limitations (management accounting), ICAEW used to be for the posh English kids, there is also CIPFA which is for the public government bodies but its got its restrictions. I would say the most universal is ACCA.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 2:24pm On Aug 05, 2020
nihilistjnr:

To start with..this idea of producing more kids on a limited income is the first downfall of many African families. If you want to have a bigger family then weigh your income, that is the major part of affordability check.

There is no rule anywhere that says that one must have a big family so as to be relevant in society.

Secondly..what do you need two cars for?

The money you spent maintaining the second car can go into savings for mortgage or invest it in shares, income bond for your kids.

Its not about how much you earn, its about how much you were able to keep, sensible spending, living within your income etc

If you are reckless you are reckless no matter how much you earn you will be on red and neck-deep in debt

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 2:32pm On Aug 05, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Well ..... not all housewives children are well behaved. It depends on the individual. Some mothers are at home but don't even do basic assignment with kids or activities. You see a lot of the benefit mothers not working in UK whose kids are yobs/ gangs yet the mothers are at home 24/7

I seen many working class mothers whose kids are well behaved . I think either way working or not working you just have to make time to instil the doctrine you want in your kids

Imagine what happens when the mother is hardly at home? I also see working mothers who keep their kids happy by spoiling them with money and gifts and these kids grow up thinking that life is easy, no value system, no discipline, just grow up like caged chickens with no life experiences.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 2:43pm On Aug 05, 2020
justwise:

To start with..this idea of producing more kids on a limited income is the first downfall of many African families. If you want to have a bigger family then weigh your income, that is the major part of affordability check.

There is no rule anywhere that says that one must have a big family so as to be relevant in society.

Secondly..what do you need two cars for?

The money you spent maintaining the second car can go into savings for mortgage or invest it in shares, income bond for your kids.

Its not about how much you earn, its about how much you were able to keep, sensible spending, living within your income etc

If you are reckless you are reckless no matter how much you earn you will be on red and neck-deep in debt

Firstly, a family of 4 isn't a large family.

Secondly I agree with your sentiments, but this entire discussion is based on your suggestion that wives should stay at home to raise the kid if the family can afford it.

The argument for or against a second car is dependent on circumstances and location.

If you live in London, both of you might not even have cars.

If you dont, then there's a strong case for 2 cars. How does the stay at home mom move around when you've taken the car go work?

She's at home with at least one kid, should she really be reliant on public transport to get around?

Should she be pushing pram on and off buses? She needs to move around with kids and kids stuff, surely she should expect a basic level of comfort?

How much is she even saving by taking public transport? For example, zone 1-6 travel card is £66 a week...or 240 a month...

You can get car payments for cheaper.

I think we can agree that you will have to sacrifice quality of life perks to make a single income household work.

My position is that you can sacrifice all you want, but the amount of money you can actually save is very little, and without the extra income that your wife could be bringing in, it's very likely that you never get out this cycle.

Do the maths and you'll see what I mean.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by missjekyll: 2:51pm On Aug 05, 2020
Hello, Everyone.

I would like to join a #revolutionnow protest . Does anyone know any of the organisers? Pump price of fuel is now 150 naira. i m now afraid to check moneyfex exchange rate.

Is this life? This is not life chaa chaa
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 2:57pm On Aug 05, 2020
nihilistjnr:

Firstly, a family of 4 isn't a large family.

Secondly I agree with your sentiments, but this entire discussion is based on your suggestion that wives should stay at home to raise the kid if the family can afford it.

The argument for or against a second car is dependent on circumstances and location.

If you live in London, both of you might not even have cars.

If you dont, then there's a strong case for 2 cars. How does the stay at home mom move around when you've taken the car go work?

She's at home with at least one kid, should she really be reliant on public transport to get around?

Should she be pushing pram on and off buses? She needs to move around with kids and kids stuff, surely she should expect a basic level of comfort?

How much is she even saving by taking public transport? For example, zone 1-6 travel card is £66 a week...or 240 a month...

You can get car payments for cheaper.

I think we can agree that you will have to sacrifice quality of life perks to make a single income household work.

My position is that you can sacrifice all you want, but the amount of money you can actually save is very little, and without the extra income that your wife could be bringing in, it's very likely that you never get out this cycle.

Do the maths and you'll see what I mean.

Uber/taxi? How much will that cost you a month compare to monthly car insurance, MOT, road tax, parking cost, and petrol for the second car + the cost of buying it?

The sacrifice you are making should not be in detriment of proper upbringing and quality time with kids

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 2:59pm On Aug 05, 2020
missjekyll:
Hello, Everyone.

I would like to join a #revolutionnow protest . Does anyone know any of the organisers? Pump price of fuel is now 150 naira. i m now afraid to check moneyfex exchange rate.

I used money flex today and screamed that hey Bubari wake up now...... 567 naira to a pound. I guess he only wake up when it gets to 600.smh

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by djaxz4sure(m): 3:04pm On Aug 05, 2020
LagosismyHome:

I used money flex today and screamed that hey Bubari wake up now...... 567 naira to a pound. I guess he only wake up when it gets to 600.smh

Oh really? Ace is showing 502. Thankfully I checked this page before using it. Let me go and check money flex
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 3:07pm On Aug 05, 2020
justwise:

Uber/taxi? How much will that cost you a month compare to monthly car insurance, MOT, road tax, parking cost, and petrol for the second car + the cost of buying it?

The sacrifice you are making should not be in detriment of proper upbringing and quality time with kids

The savings difference between your approach and and say a PCP is probably ~£100 - 120 each way.

That's not enough to lead you into the realms of financial freedom. It's not going to make a difference in terms of affluence.

So what's really the point? Your stay at home wife hops bus and taxi everywhere she wants to go, and maybe saves £100 a month.

That's £1200 a year in savings for 12 months of sufferhead..

What's the point? What's that money doing in real terms?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 3:22pm On Aug 05, 2020
missjekyll:
Hello, Everyone.

My problem with the protesters is that they do not seem to understand the issues. I saw placards protesting about fuel price and VAT when they should be protesting against corruption and for better welfare for the citizens. Why focus on the exchange rate when if we are a productive nation and with low unemployment, the exchange rate won't be an issue in the first place. I have even heard some compare our exchange rate to that of other African countries which shouldn't really be the case. The government should have deregulated the prices of petrol from day one and they keep missing the opportunity to do so. If they have shown signs of trying to do that now, they should be commended.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 3:25pm On Aug 05, 2020
nihilistjnr:

The savings difference between your approach and and say a PCP is probably ~£100 - 120 each way.

That's not enough to lead you into the realms of financial freedom. It's not going to make a difference in terms of affluence.

So what's really the point? Your stay at home wife hops bus and taxi everywhere she wants to go, and maybe saves £100 a month.

That's £1200 a year in savings for 12 months of sufferhead..

What's the point? What's that money doing in real terms?

You are missing the point by focusing on money money and money alone..bro quality time with your family is priceless

Obviously you will save more than £1200 year plus family time..

Subletting your parental responsibilities to nannies while you chase money is irresponsible in my opinion

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by phyl123: 3:30pm On Aug 05, 2020
LagosismyHome:

I got 580 naira to the pound.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 3:33pm On Aug 05, 2020
phyl123:

When?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chic2pimp(m): 3:34pm On Aug 05, 2020
justwise:

I don't think Chasing money and bring up healthy well behaved kids are mutually exclusive. As someone already said on this thread, unless your income bracket puts in the Top 10% of earners in the country, it's extremely difficult to raise a family on a Single Income.

May I also add with regards to raising kids, your environment matters. There is a reason why well behaved Kids more often than not come from Middle class Families as opposed to Working class ones.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by phyl123: 3:35pm On Aug 05, 2020
justwise:

When?

Today
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by phyl123: 3:36pm On Aug 05, 2020
phyl123:

Today

Not with moneyflex!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by djaxz4sure(m): 3:36pm On Aug 05, 2020
phyl123:

On which app please?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by phyl123: 3:39pm On Aug 05, 2020
djaxz4sure:

On which app please?

I don’t use apps, I use these private people that transfer money for commission.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by djaxz4sure(m): 3:40pm On Aug 05, 2020
phyl123:

I don’t use apps, I use these private people that transfer money for commission.

Oh okay
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 3:41pm On Aug 05, 2020
phyl123:

What are the details?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 3:53pm On Aug 05, 2020
phyl123:

That is not moneyfex then
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 3:55pm On Aug 05, 2020
chic2pimp:

I don't think Chasing money and bring up healthy well behaved kids are mutually exclusive. As someone already said on this thread, unless your income bracket puts in the Top 10% of earners in the country, it's extremely difficult to raise a family on a Single Income.

May I also add with regards to raising kids, your environment matters. There is a reason why well behaved Kids more often than not come from Middle class Families as opposed to Working class ones.

That is not true, good parents are in every class.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 4:04pm On Aug 05, 2020
justwise:

You are right there is good and bad in all classes it all depends on the upbringing, sometimes good parent turn out unruly kids. That's life. Also by giving your kids everything they want and making them too comfortable, most times you are not doing them any favours.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 4:33pm On Aug 05, 2020
Rubyventures:

You are right there is good and bad in all classes it all depends on the upbringing, sometimes good parent turn out unruly kids. That's life. Also by giving your kids everything they want and making them too comfortable, most times you are not doing them any favours.

Bringing up well behaved children is not about giving them money and best gadget money can buy in place of quality time with them, its about discipline, financial education, stamping out any snip of wayward behavior at the young age before it becomes way of life.

Kids who grew up depending on bank of mum$ dad can't stand hardship, can't survive without running back to family house when the going gets tough.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 5:22pm On Aug 05, 2020
justwise:

Bringing up well behaved children is not about giving them money and best gadget money can buy in place of quality time with them, its about discipline, financial education, stamping out any snip of wayward behavior at the young age before it becomes way of life.

Kids who grew up depending on bank of mum$ dad can't stand hardship, can't survive without running back to family house when the going gets tough.

This discussions is very interesting. From information Ive gathered from my partner who is a teacher most of the children who have their mums at home don’t necessarily behaved better than their counterparts from middle/ working class families. Because most time these sit at home mums have nothing to teach these kids or to help them with their homework. And most times the man of the house gives the responsibility of bringing up these children to the woman since he is the only one working. On the other hand, children from homes where both parents work sometimes need more attention from the teachers....If I was a woman I won’t want to site at home Monday to Sunday unless am taking a year on maternity..... My opinion �

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 5:49pm On Aug 05, 2020
justwise:

You are missing the point by focusing on money money and money alone..bro quality time with your family is priceless

Obviously you will save more than £1200 year plus family time..

Subletting your parental responsibilities to nannies while you chase money is irresponsible in my opinion

If you dont mind me asking...are you currently raising a family? As in partner and kids?

If yes, is your partner of the stay-at-home variety?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 5:54pm On Aug 05, 2020
nihilistjnr:

If you dont mind me asking...are you currently raising a family? As in partner and kids?

If yes, is your partner of the stay-at-home variety?

I do.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chic2pimp(m): 5:55pm On Aug 05, 2020
justwise:

But I never said there weren't good parents in working class environments.What I said is that in comparison to the working class, the middle class produces more well behaved kids which is true.

There is a reason why the Gang/Yob culture is more prevalent in Working class communities. Tbh I am struggling to name one Middle class community that has this problem. Another institution that exposes the stark difference between the two communities are schools. It's of no co-incidence the Majority of Good schools are located in Nice Middle Class areas.

The kids that attend these schools are not necessarily smarter, they are however by and large better behaved. Behaviourial issues is one of the biggest hinderances to Educational attainment in the country.

(1) (2) (3) ... (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.