Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,299 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (360) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1302570 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 2:17pm On Aug 04, 2020
5gee:

No Sir, this was ages ago, when I moved from a graduate role to another graduate role. I am now at manager level and still feel the same even though my earnings have improved significantly.

Congratulations on the career advancement.

But do you honestly believe that you can earn more in salaried employment in Nigeria?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mattfeuter(m): 2:22pm On Aug 04, 2020
RalphJean:

Me too, I noticed the inconsistencies but didn’t want to point them out for fear of being accused of prying.

If I was the one who now regrets leaving a ‘big’ job in Nigeria, I would kuku return to Nigeria.

Nuff said. . . .

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 2:24pm On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

Congratulations on the career advancement.

But do you honestly believe that you can earn more in salaried employment in Nigeria?
Yes but the it is a tall order when you consider basic pay alone. throw in other benefits then it is possible. My former colleagues are earning that now. But it is not only that, there are other factors including family.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Olalekank(m): 2:25pm On Aug 04, 2020
5gee:

Financial security is one of them - I like to have savings and investments and no need to worry about working. I also like job satisfaction, which is one of the reasons I moved and want to move. I want to also be able to help people as I used to when I was back home, too many people to take care of but not enough spare resources as I would like.
yes IT related.

Why am I being interrogated and those without regrets aren't? Were people not expecting to hear this?
Apologies if you find the questions inconvenient.
People tend to focus on the exceptions.
I tend to see a lot of reasons why people move out of Nigeria, but hardly ever any posts as to why they regret their move. Which makes it more interesting.

Also, regarding the bolded, do you mind me sending a dm?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 2:27pm On Aug 04, 2020
RalphJean:

Me too, I noticed the inconsistencies but didn’t want to point them out for fear of being accused of prying.

If I was the one who now regrets leaving a ‘big’ job in Nigeria, I would kuku return to Nigeria.
Except if the regret is that getting that job is not easy and it's not like they recruit everyday hence you thinking "I should have stayed put" in the first place.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 2:39pm On Aug 04, 2020
5gee:

Yes but the it is a tall order when you consider basic pay alone. throw in other benefits then it is possible. My former colleagues are earning that now. But it is not only that, there are other factors including family.

Bro in that case, my advice would be to go back to Nigeria and get that pay, and I'm not being facetious.

If you can earn more in Nigeria, then you can here, then Nigeria is obviously the better bet. Life is too short to be living in regret and wondering about what could have been.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 2:48pm On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

Bro in that case, my advice would be to go back to Nigeria and get that pay, and I'm not being facetious.

If you can earn more in Nigeria, then you can here, then Nigeria is obviously the better bet. Life is too short to be living in regret and wondering about what could have been.
And that's what I am trying to do. Waiting for the right opportunity and I am out. I hope it comes soon enough.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 2:49pm On Aug 04, 2020
5gee:

UK is 50/50 ………… It works for some people in terms of been financially sound and for others while there is some stabilization and organization , the tradeoff is a lack of savings and really living hand to mouth abeit still comfortable . I think some will actually be better off in naija and others here is better. It all depends on your life journey. My only work experience in Naija is when I went back for NYSC so I cannot say for sure if I would have gone to have an illustrious career or it would have been years of drinking garri . There is a guy who was in NYSC with me and we stayed in touched . He is an ED in one of the main bank so maybe I can day dream that if I was in Naija maybe I for don rise to ED ……… but that is a tall talk

For me I still prefer UK and my years of dreaming to go back is over. Loads of my close friends went back and in 2010 I almost went back.... I visit every year and after one week the honeymoon is over and cant wait to be back . UK to be financially sound you have to open your eyes . There are some good job opportunities that come up in different areas , be it in contracting or other areas and the sharp one grab it . The same UK you can see someone doing minimum wage for years as well with no progression. So it works for some it doesn’t work for others .

Putting money aside , for me Nigeria wahala is just too much and just seems to be getting worse everyday in so many sector …………

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 2:52pm On Aug 04, 2020
Olalekank:

Apologies if you find the questions inconvenient.
People tend to focus on the exceptions.
I tend to see a lot of reasons why people move out of Nigeria, but hardly ever any posts as to why they regret their move. Which makes it more interesting.

Also, regarding the bolded, do you mind me sending a dm?
check my signature, the email I used here isn't accessible.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 2:57pm On Aug 04, 2020
5gee:

And that's what I am trying to do. Waiting for the right opportunity and I am out. I hope it comes soon enough.

Good luck bro.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 3:00pm On Aug 04, 2020
LagosismyHome:

UK is 50/50 ………… It works for some people in terms of been financially sound and for others while there is some stabilization and organization , the tradeoff is a lack of savings and really living hand to mouth abeit still comfortable . I think some will actually be better off in naija and others here is better. It all depends on your life journey. My only work experience in Naija is when I went back for NYSC so I cannot say for sure if I would have gone to have an illustrious career or it would have been years of drinking garri . There is a guy who was in NYSC with me and we stayed in touched . He is an ED in one of the main bank so maybe I can day dream that if I was in Naija maybe I for don rise to ED ……… but that is a tall talk

For me I still prefer UK and my years of dreaming to go back is over. Loads of my close friends went back and in 2010 I almost went back.... I visit every year and after one week the honeymoon is over and cant wait to be back . UK to be financially sound you have to open your eyes . There are some good job opportunities that come up in different areas , be it in contracting or other areas and the sharp one grab it . The same UK you can see someone doing minimum wage for years as well with no progression. So it works for some it doesn’t work for others .

Putting money aside , for me Nigeria wahala is just too much and just seems to be getting worse everyday in so many sector …………
You are right. Contracting is very good and I know Nigerians who are making a killing. I am also contracting and I thank God for what I have been able to achieve so far in the UK. For me, it's not only about money, although it is very important, but in addition to that, I also have very strong ties with home. I am constantly improving myself to get better at what I do and also earn more. One very good compromise will be a job from here that takes me back home or at least to Africa. grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 3:00pm On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

Good luck bro.

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by walesho(m): 3:09pm On Aug 04, 2020
Zeecos:

I opened both a savings and a current account with them. I just went to the branch closest to me with the required documents, and an adviser talked me through the process.

Okay thanks, because I heard Monzo bank wants to shut down soon due to Brexit issue smiley
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 3:46pm On Aug 04, 2020
LagosismyHome:

These kind of people would probably be the jobless youths in Nigeria, based on merit. If you're stuck doing minimum wage job for years on a legit kpali, then you should take a look at yourself in the mirror.

UK is a largely merit driven society. You get out what you put in for the most part. There's no way on earth that you seek to improve yourself and remain stuck on minimum wage.

This is a country where if you take a student loan to fund your undergraduate degree, and you earn under £1,615 per month after graduation, then you don't have to pay back your loan.

Minimum wage is 1,417.00 in 2020

To put it in perspective, the fresh graduate on his/her first day out of university is expected to command above minimum wage in salary, or the government takes responsibility for funding such a crap degree.

I'll repeat it, it's impossible to earning more in Nigeria than in the UK doing the exact same role...unless you're enjoying government money

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by OBYNOWEST12(m): 3:57pm On Aug 04, 2020
Brother nothing good about Nigeria.. Have u ever think about the future of children, Does ur children has future in Nigeria ?..

How can one pay close to 1M just to secure federal job here in Nigeria..

Which home are u missing? (I can only missed the Naija food.) the whole world are just d same. Just we are separated by ordinary water and weather.

I swear if I enter any abroad country my parents will be begging me to come bk home. Just waiting patiently to enter a good country, I swear I go root my generation there.

30yrs dy never see me. If they talk too much invitation for u.

Dead country Nigeria. Think about ur kids future..

5gee:

You are right. Contracting is very good and I know Nigerians who are making a killing. I am also contracting and I thank God for what I have been able to achieve so far in the UK. For me, it's not only about money, although it is very important, but in addition to that, I also have very strong ties with home. I am constantly improving myself to get better at what I do and also earn more. One very good compromise will be a job from here that takes me back home or at least to Africa. grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 4:18pm On Aug 04, 2020
Lexusgs430:

In such matters, you ask for Oga at the TOP.......

That same signet you went to, you go return go back on Tuesday, ask for Oga at the TOP (Harold)........

He gat someone for you (from 1330 hrs)........... grin

Thanks Oga .... I’ve gone to see (Mr Harold) and meet the other guy. Was suppose to pick him up by 5pm this evening to go and show the flat but something else came up. Forgot to collect there contact. If you can help me tell the guy not to wait for me....and if you can source the number for me that would be much appreciated. Thanks again ..
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 4:24pm On Aug 04, 2020
OBYNOWEST12:
Brother nothing good about Nigeria.. Have u ever think about the future of children, Does ur children has future in Nigeria ?..

How can one pay close to 1M just to secure federal job here in Nigeria..

Which home are u missing? (I can only missed the Naija food.) the whole world are just d same. Just we are separated by ordinary water and weather.

I swear if I enter any abroad country my parents will be begging me to come bk home. Just waiting patiently to enter a good country, I swear I go root my generation there.

30yrs dy never see me. If they talk too much invitation for u.

Dead country Nigeria. Think about ur kids future..

Unfortunately/Fortunately not everyone has your mindset. As I said, where I come from, people do not necessarily feel they have to leave the country in order to make it. It may not be a good thing but somehow it has also spared them a lot. When I was in school, people used to complain that there were no jobs but the guys I was looking up to (My mentors)were changing jobs and their friends were so I said to myself that there are jobs and I indeed got the kind of job I was liked. Nigeria has its numerous problems but I am not the type that will "insult" or disrespect the country because if I do that, outsiders will also not respect the country and me. Personally, it is good for my children to have dual citizenship but if forced to choose, I will prefer Nigerian. But this is me and we are all different.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 4:27pm On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

These kind of people would probably be the jobless youths in Nigeria, based on merit. If you're stuck doing minimum wage job for years on a legit kpali, then you should take a look at yourself in the mirror.

UK is a largely merit driven society. You get out what you put in for the most part. There's no way on earth that you seek to improve yourself and remain stuck on minimum wage.

This is a country where if you take a student loan to fund your undergraduate degree, and you earn under £1,615 per month after graduation, then you don't have to pay back your loan.

Minimum wage is 1,417.00 in 2020

To put it in perspective, the fresh graduate on his/her first day out of university is expected to command above minimum wage in salary, or the government takes responsibility for funding such a crap degree.

I'll repeat it, it's impossible to earning more in Nigeria than in the UK doing the exact same role...unless you're enjoying government money

Lol at jobless youth

In some way I agree because my brain cannot comprehend why someone will be doing minimum wage for years despite having kpali because me I am a hustler

But two of my bestie is on that table. I have talked, encourage even offered to pay for BA/PM training back then but always on excuses , year in year out they remain on that table and complain all year around how UK is hard . So some people are just the way they are . ... I think not everyone has a hustling spirit

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ukay2: 4:56pm On Aug 04, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Lol at jobless youth

In some way I agree because my brain cannot comprehend why someone will be doing minimum wage for years despite having kpali because me I am a hustler

But two of my bestie is on that table. I have talked, encourage even offered to pay for BA/PM training back then but always on excuses , year in year out they remain on that table and complain all year around how UK is hard . So some people are just the way they are . ... I think not everyone has a hustling spirit

The bolded is the spirit for any youth...my sister.

I also like your name: LagosismyHome.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:51pm On Aug 04, 2020
wallg123:

Thanks Oga .... I’ve gone to see (Mr Harold) and meet the other guy. Was suppose to pick him up by 5pm this evening to go and show the flat but something else came up. Forgot to collect there contact. If you can help me tell the guy not to wait for me....and if you can source the number for me that would be much appreciated. Thanks again ..

Send me a WhatsApp message, for details......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chic2pimp(m): 6:01pm On Aug 04, 2020
LagosismyHome:

That shows a total lack of ambition on the Part of the said individual. How someone would see working Dead end jobs or simply just collecting Benefits as something to aspire to beats me. Heck I know 2 people who through perserverance were working good jobs before their stay was legalized.

The depressing part of this Character flaw however is that most often than not, they pass it on to their kids.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 6:39pm On Aug 04, 2020
chic2pimp:

That shows a total lack of ambition on the Part of the said individual. How someone would see working Dead end jobs or simply just collecting Benefits as something to aspire to beats me. Heck I know 2 people who through perserverance were working good jobs before their stay was legalized.

The depressing part of this Character flaw however is that most often than not, they pass it on to their kids.

Life we all cannot be the same or think the same so sometime people are a product of many things such as their background, experiences etc. They make choices that we might not agree but I guess we have to support and let them be who them want to be

Same way I am a woman and can never imagine been a house wife but some women choose that path. I salute their courage because it takes guts to depend solely on the man. If he dies then what, especially in Nigeria that has no welfare structure . But I respect their choices and some are really happy and fulfilled...... So everybody journey is different. You find what works for you . For some life isn't about money . There are people who are really content claiming benefit for years . There are millionaires who feel empty and commit suicide

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 7:58pm On Aug 04, 2020
My people o, do we have chartered accountants currently practicing in the UK here. Which is advisable ACCA/ CIMA/ICAEW? Long term opportunities and pay wise?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chic2pimp(m): 8:28pm On Aug 04, 2020
Ace2013:
My people o, do we have chartered accountants currently practicing in the UK here. Which is advisable ACCA/ CIMA/ICAEW?

ACCA or CIMA. ACCCA for Financial or CIMA for Management
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 9:38pm On Aug 04, 2020
Tnks for the response. Long term market opportunities and pay wise?
chic2pimp:

ACCA or CIMA. ACCCA for Financial or CIMA for Management
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chic2pimp(m): 10:16pm On Aug 04, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Life we all cannot be the same or think the same so sometime people are a product of many things such as their background, experiences etc. They make choices that we might not agree but I guess we have to support and let them be who them want to be

Good points well made eventhough I don't fully agree with it. I think the lackadaisical approach to Life is all well and good if it's Just Adults involved. It's when It involves Kids I take exception. Kids do not get to choose the Family they are born into and we all Know the Family you are born into goes a long away in determining how well you do in Life.

LagosismyHome:

Same way I am a woman and can never imagine been a house wife but some women choose that path. I salute their courage because it takes guts to depend solely on the man. If he dies then what, especially in Nigeria that has no welfare structure . But I respect their choices and some are really happy and fulfilled...... So everybody journey is different. You find what works for you . For some life isn't about money . There are people who are really content claiming benefit for years . There are millionaires who feel empty and commit suicide

I believe a solid work ethic, good attitude, integrity and seeking self improvement should be encouraged in every society. Infact I do not know any upward mobile society that does not encourage it. Heck the example you gave of some Nigerian Women choosing to be full time housewives instead of entering the rather saturated Labour market shows ambition albeit a shallow one. Why you say? Because they intend on marrying Rich Ready Made Men or Social Upward Moving Men not the dregs of the society.

I doubt they are many people content claiming benefits for years. How can they be content when the majority of them live from hand to mouth daily(unless they are involved in Benefit Fraud) whilst making up the vast Majority of the Permanent Underclass? That's not contentment, that's called "Having no other Choice".
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chic2pimp(m): 11:15pm On Aug 04, 2020
Ace2013:
Tnks for the response. Long term market opportunities and pay wise?

With ACCA's broader approach, you can work in a variety of sectors unlike CIMA which kind of limits you. However if you have your eyes set on working in the Management or Financial department of a Big Company, then CIMA might just be for you.

Salary largely depends on your area of speciality and what sort of firm you are working for. The salary of a Financial consultant for instance differs from that of an Auditor.

My advice to fresh graduates has always been apply for Accounting Assistant roles first. Once you are settled into your new job( can take anywhere between 6-12 months), you can then start looking into getting ACCA/CIMA qualified. By the time you are done, with the wealth of experience you would/should have acquired, you are basically "Hot Cake". I know folks raking it in in the UAE currently.

Also lest I forget, if you intend on starting your own Accounting Firm sometime in the future, ACCA is the way to go.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 11:58pm On Aug 04, 2020
Again, tnks for the response. Currently account assitant role. Employer wants to pay for qualifications, just wondering which one would be better. Left for me, i chose CIMA already as i alot of exemptions since i have a finance degree. Just making sure i'm not loosing out not going for ACCA instead. By any chance have you come accross people with both CIMA and ACCA as it seems both bodies at some point interchange exemptions? Can i pm u? I would love to speak to someone in practice.
chic2pimp:

With ACCA's broader approach, you can work in a variety of sectors unlike CIMA which kind of limits you. However if you have your eyes set on working in the Management or Financial department of a Big Company, then CIMA might just be for you.

Salary largely depends on your area of speciality and what sort of firm you are working for. The salary of a Financial consultant for instance differs from that of an Auditor.

My advice to fresh graduates has always been apply for Accounting Assistant roles first. Once you are settled into your new job( can take anywhere between 6-12 months), you can then start looking into getting ACCA/CIMA qualified. By the time you are done, with the wealth of experience you would/should have acquired, you are basically "Hot Cake". I know folks raking it in in the UAE currently.

Also lest I forget, if you intend on starting your own Accounting Firm sometime in the future, ACCA is the way to go.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chic2pimp(m): 1:33am On Aug 05, 2020
Ace2013:
Again, tnks for the response. Currently account assitant role. Employer wants to pay for qualifications, just wondering which one would be better. Left for me, i chose CIMA already as i alot of exemptions since i have a finance degree. Just making sure i'm not loosing out not going for ACCA instead. By any chance have you come accross people with both CIMA and ACCA as it seems both bodies at some point interchange exemptions? Can i pm u?

No worries Bro.

Funny enough I was going to say some Employees actually do pay for the said qualifications. Congrats Man you must be doing something really well. I however do hope you've been made fully aware of the strings attached to the company coughing up the dough for your qualifications.

More often than not that'll require you having to work for the Company for a certain amount of time before you become a free agent.

CIMA offers more exemptions. Last time I checked they offered two more exemptions(things might have changed now though). I think if you have your heart solely set on working in Financial and Management departments of Companies, then go with your heart which in your case is CIMA. It's a win win situation. However if there is a slight chance you might slightly deviate from that, ACCA it is. A friend of mine for example earns a bit on the side doing People's Personal Accounts. I don't think CIMA affords you that Luxury.

I have never come across an individual that holds both set of qualifications. It is either one or the other. Having both is a total waste of time and financial resources as it gives you no added advantage in the job market.

My PM has not worked for time now and I don't know how to sort it out.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dgee1(m): 8:15am On Aug 05, 2020
Thank you, your helpful response wasn't late. And I've not yet received the parcel after more than 2 months now. I reached out to someone in IMPC Ikeja and he told me parcels are still coming in from the UK, so it isn't the coronavirus lockdown delaying it.

My worry is actually about the files on an item coming with the parcel. It would be a huge lost. I still hope it somehow arrives.

We would make enquiries with Parcel Force as you advised.

Thanks.

AeeNgy:

Hi,

I know this might be a late response.
Speaking from a personal experience, the first time I sent a parcel to Nigeria from UK via Royal Mail ( Post Office), my parcel ended up in South Africa then Namibia (reason given was because the tag had come off during transportation) before it finally landed in Nigeria (approximately 2.5 months).
Although the parcel was sent through Royal Mail, I found out that it was actually Parcel Force that was responsible for the delivery to Nigeria.
If you haven't received the parcel yet, ask the sender to try and contact Parcel Force and give them a description of the parcel.
Hope you get it if you haven't already.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 8:48am On Aug 05, 2020
chic2pimp:

Good points well made eventhough I don't fully agree with it. I think the lackadaisical approach to Life is all well and good if it's Just Adults involved. It's when It involves Kids I take exception. Kids do not get to choose the Family they are born into and we all Know the Family you are born into goes a long away in determining how well you do in Life.

I believe a solid work ethic, good attitude, integrity and seeking self improvement should be encouraged in every society. Infact I do not know any upward mobile society that does not encourage it. Heck the example you gave of some Nigerian Women choosing to be full time housewives instead of entering the rather saturated Labour market shows ambition albeit a shallow one. Why you say? Because they intend on marrying Rich Ready Made Men or Social Upward Moving Men not the dregs of the society.

I doubt they are many people content claiming benefits for years. How can they be content when the majority of them live from hand to mouth daily(unless they are involved in Benefit Fraud) whilst making up the vast Majority of the Permanent Underclass? That's not contentment, that's called "Having no other Choice".

Chasing career and money in detriment of children cause more damage, i don't blame women who decided to stay home to look after their kids if the husband earns enough to care for the family. Bringing up well behaved children in the west is more than 24hrs job and can not be left in the hands of nannies.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by OBYNOWEST12(m): 9:06am On Aug 05, 2020
Please I need some tips, How is the future, I mean the Job opportunities for someone who study business administration here in Nigeria. What are the chances of the person getting a good Job in UK under that field if the said person moved to UK.

justwise:

Chasing career and money in detriment of children cause more damage, i don't blame women who decided to stay home to look after their kids if the husband earns enough to care for the family. Bringing up well behaved children in the west is more than 24hrs job and can not be left in the hands on nannies.

(1) (2) (3) ... (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.