Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,835 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (370) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1307572 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 10:47pm On Aug 20, 2020
fatima04:

Abi now, cost and expense is relative. When our seniors like oga lexus, justwise, wonlasewonimi et all dey "sango ode" they were spending £2,000 and more grin grin

Onisolenu ni madam yii.. cheesy where I go get 2k per month when I dey sango ode
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:58pm On Aug 20, 2020
fatima04:

Abi now, cost and expense is relative. When our seniors like oga lexus, justwise, wonlasewonimi et all dey "sango ode" they were spending £2,000 and more grin grin

Haba........ My first rental expense in the UK, cost me a massive sum of £25.00 per week (the good old days).......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by claremont(m): 12:29am On Aug 21, 2020
OBYNOWEST12:
Hello guys I want to ask a question. Please how much can a bachelor spend on personal monthly expenses in UK like feeding and other things like clothing, transportation but excluding house rent.

It depends if you live in London or outside London. I can only speak for the North. A few years ago when I lived as a bachelor in the North, I was paying £110/week for an ensuite large room in a HMO with internet, council tax and bills all inclusive. I was paying £5/month for phone bill. I was spending less than £80/week on food and groceries. My main expense was Guinness, whisky and my big car which was my only luxury then. A budget of £800-£900/month should be more than enough for everything if you don't drink and don't have a car. Bachelor life has its perks as you can save a lot, enjoy it while it lasts! grin

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:31am On Aug 21, 2020
claremont:

It depends if you live in London or outside London. I can only speak for the North. A few years ago when I lived as a bachelor in the North, I was paying £110/week for an ensuite large room in a HMO with internet, council tax and bills all inclusive. I was paying £5/month for phone bill. I was spending less than £80/week on food and groceries. My main expense was Guinness, whisky and my big car which was my only luxury then. A budget of £800-£900/month should be more than enough for everything. Bachelor life has its perks as you can save a lot, enjoy it while it lasts! grin

Shayo nah bastard........ tongue

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by OBYNOWEST12(m): 5:07am On Aug 21, 2020
Thanks alot. Can you estimate monthly expenses for someone/single guy who lives in London.

How much do I have spend monthly on my car, If I decided to have a car in UK.

claremont:

It depends if you live in London or outside London. I can only speak for the North. A few years ago when I lived as a bachelor in the North, I was paying £110/week for an ensuite large room in a HMO with internet, council tax and bills all inclusive. I was paying £5/month for phone bill. I was spending less than £80/week on food and groceries. My main expense was Guinness, whisky and my big car which was my only luxury then. A budget of £800-£900/month should be more than enough for everything if you don't drink and don't have a car. Bachelor life has its perks as you can save a lot, enjoy it while it lasts! grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 7:58am On Aug 21, 2020
It depends on the type of car you buy. Expensive cars with expensive insurance and the rest. You have to pay congestion charge as well, fuelling cost, cost of parking you car, road tax.... etc...
If you live and work in London, you won’t need a car as there is 24/7 public transportation... I got a car when I moved out of London and started a family.
Life is too short these days therefore get whatever makes you happy. Money is meant to be spend ��
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Vooom: 8:18am On Aug 21, 2020
Good day all

If you had option of living and working in Durham or North East Lincolnshire which would you pick and why?

Your answers would be taken seriously
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by HumanCalc: 9:20am On Aug 21, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Depends on what and where you want to be eating........... cheesy

Fancy doing your groceries shopping at Harrods?

Or you prefer Lidl or Aldi?

Or Tesco, Asda, morrisons etc etc?

Or you want to employ a chef/or eat regularly at 5* restaurants?......

You see, so your longer throat determines your budget............... tongue
Ah no even know say my Umidigi mentor na UK travel section mentor too...lol. I dey always feel you boss. Umipeppering. Umigingering....Umi all the way .I am here to have a sneak peek into a future I want for myself, although I still have a big work to do and long way to go. Thumbs up sir.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:41am On Aug 21, 2020
HumanCalc:
Ah no even know say my Umidigi mentor na UK travel section mentor too...lol. I dey always feel you boss. Umipeppering. Umigingering....Umi all the way .I am here to have a sneak peek into a future I want for myself, although I still have a big work to do and long way to go. Thumbs up sir.

grin

Umipeppering all the way......... Life nah turn by turn joor........ Just plan am well...... wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by HumanCalc: 9:46am On Aug 21, 2020
Lexusgs430:

grin

Umipeppering all the way......... Life nah turn by turn joor........ Just plan am well...... wink
Na so
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by OBYNOWEST12(m): 9:48am On Aug 21, 2020
Thanks alot.. is I will move to London but am not planning to stay to long our there. Once I stay up to more Dan year. I will love to move out of London..

wallg123:
It depends on the type of car you buy. Expensive cars with expensive insurance and the rest. You have to pay congestion charge as well, fuelling cost, cost of parking you car, road tax.... etc...
If you live and work in London, you won’t need a car as there is 24/7 public transportation... I got a car when I moved out of London and started a family.
Life is too short these days therefore get whatever makes you happy. Money is meant to be spend ��
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 10:27am On Aug 21, 2020
Some shared accommodation are about £500 monthly in london but u can get 300-400 outside. Feeding also depends on whether ur eating out or cooking, but cooking seems to be cheaper, say £60-£80 weekly grocery shopping

OBYNOWEST12:
Shared accommodation, I don not need a car at d moment. How much for monthly feeding..

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 11:43am On Aug 21, 2020
London transportation is cool and you'd only need a car if you don't want to rely on public transport for those odd hours movement or for those days when there are train delays. I did an estimated break down on the other UK post.
For car cost estimates, see below: https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/consumer-advice/car-advice/a29318934/owning-car-costs/
OBYNOWEST12:
Thanks alot. Can you estimate monthly expenses for someone/single guy who lives in London.

How much do I have spend monthly on my car, If I decided to have a car in UK.

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 11:57am On Aug 21, 2020
Chai, you people did not even miss me at all.. my heart is paining me cry cry

Glad to see that you all survived the pandemic grin many thanks to everyone that checked on me while I was away. The depression got too much biko (no family, no friends, no Nigerian food, no work).

I feel like I should be given award for surviving this period grin

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 12:00pm On Aug 21, 2020
segun688:
Please has any one who applied for nigerian passport in London heard anything about biometrics etc? I find it baffling that they just took money and went silent, no communication, no nothing. Did anyone else get any message ( for those who applied from july onwards)??

Me too o, I applied. I think they will contact us when they are ready. I just kept the receipt to show anyone that asks why my passport has expired. So they know that I’m waiting for my embassy.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 12:03pm On Aug 21, 2020
Phenmeson:

My friend jus did his own 3days ago. Just calm down they will text you. You can buy a special delivery envelope so they can post Yur passport to you.

Wait. After making the payment, did your friend do something else on their website? I thought I’m just meant to make payment and wait. I made my payment early Aug, and I’ve not heard from them, but your friend has heard from them already.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 12:08pm On Aug 21, 2020
gratefulme40:

I have seen on both citizens advice and gov.co.uk that Bath, basins and stuff are landlord’s responsibility to make sure they are in good working condition. They have probably seen my long unenglish name and think they can oppress me.

How can I enjoy flannel and bowl after 12hours shift of crazy nhs job. MBA!

Just check Shelter.org.uk they will tell you how to fight with your landlord. There are 5 stages, after writing those 5 letters, you’re free to fix it yourself and deduct the cost from your rent.

Of course the agency or landlord will harass you. Tell them to go and call the police on you, that you have all the letters that you sent to the landlord/agency and you will give it to the police with a link to shelters website. That it will be an easy investigation.

That’s how I shut my landlord and agency up, when they wanted to bully, rubbish, they don’t know that I’m a mad woman!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 12:13pm On Aug 21, 2020
marylandcakes:

The sad truth is that if the cracked tray wasn’t noted on the inventory then you will have to pay for it, as it will be regarded as damage.

That’s not true. The house is owned by the landlord. Any damage in the house is repaired by the landlord, not the occupant, unless there’s proof that you damaged it intentionally or maliciously.

Landlords just prefer to run away from their responsibility. They are meant to have insurance to cover damages, so once there’s damage in the house, the insurance covers it.

What you’re trying to say is, because my fire door wasn’t spoilt before I moved in, I don’t have a right to complain? Leemao, I will even report them to plenty health and safety organisations sef. Then I’ll threaten to report them to any newspaper to discredit the agency for negligence.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 12:15pm On Aug 21, 2020
Aphrodite007:

Glad to see that you all survived the pandemic grin many thanks to everyone that checked on me while I was away. The depression got too much biko (no family, no friends, no Nigerian food, no work).

Ahhh we thought you are better now and just taking a break. Pele ooo
Thank God you are back, better and stronger.

Cant wait for covid to go with its wahala
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 12:16pm On Aug 21, 2020
Endlessgrace:

I used a certified and highly recommended Jew for my son 2 years ago. It cost about £150 and was stress-free.

This is why I want only baby girls, I can’t be disturbing myself about circumcision grin I will just be crying while the baby is crying grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Phenmeson(m): 12:17pm On Aug 21, 2020
Aphrodite007:

Wait. After making the payment, did your friend do something else on their website? I thought I’m just meant to make payment and wait. I made my payment early Aug, and I’ve not heard from them, but your friend has heard from them already.

After he made his payment in April during the lockdown. You will be email your biometric date. You need to get a delivery envelope. Your passport will be sent by post to your home address. He received his passport less than 2weeks.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 12:17pm On Aug 21, 2020
Aphrodite007:

That’s not true. The house is owned by the landlord. Any damage in the house is repaired by the landlord, not the occupant, unless there’s proof that you damaged it intentionally or maliciously.

Landlords just prefer to run away from their responsibility. They are meant to have insurance to cover damages, so once there’s damage in the house, the insurance covers it.

What you’re trying to say is, because my fire door wasn’t spoilt before I moved in, I don’t have a right to complain? Leemao, I will even report them to plenty health and safety organisations sef. Then I’ll threaten to report them to any newspaper to discredit the agency for negligence.

It is the system to blame. They tax landlord which creeps into any extra money that would have gone into repairs and house maintenance . So as a landlord you have to first see if you can pass the gbese to the next person who in this case is the occupant. But for me. It's the system I blame Jare

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 12:18pm On Aug 21, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Ahhh we thought you are better now and just taking a break. Pele ooo
Thank God you are back, better and stronger.

Cant wait for covid to go with its wahala

Thanks my love. I missed you, mamatukwas, Lexus, laajiblik and many more, I can’t remember now.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 12:19pm On Aug 21, 2020
Phenmeson:

After he made his payment in April during the lockdown. You will be email your biometric date. You need to get a delivery envelope. Your passport will be sent by post to your home address. He received his passport less than 2weeks.

He made his payment in April? . I’m sorry for asking. Let me just be quiet because us that made payment in Aug; it’s next year then grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by valcorp: 12:44pm On Aug 21, 2020
Good afternoon all. Please does anyone have any information on Carlisle Cumbria. Rent, cost of living (man,wife and a year old),childcare,ease of getting a job,bills. Advice and tips will be very welcomed. Thank you so much

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:53pm On Aug 21, 2020
Aphrodite007:

Thanks my love. I missed you, mamatukwas, Lexus, laajiblik and many more, I can’t remember now.

Me I still dey here o, no leave, no transfer....... This thread be like oja oyingbo........... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 12:54pm On Aug 21, 2020
Aphrodite007:

Yay!Welcome back. We were getting worried about your absence. Someone asked about you a few pages back.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 1:07pm On Aug 21, 2020
Aphrodite007:

If I say I did not miss you it will be a big fat lieeee!!! Welcome back Mami! This thread was missing you! Maybe il send you a PM one of these days let’s connect off line as well. Life in this UK is rather DRY!

Please don’t disappear again. Big hugs �

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 2:09pm On Aug 21, 2020
Aphrodite007:

He made his payment in April? . I’m sorry for asking. Let me just be quiet because us that made payment in Aug; it’s next year then grin

You know they print the passport in that building right?

When you go upstairs, there's the waiting room to your left as you come up the stairs. The biometrics room is to your right.

The next room on your right is the passport printing room. You speak to someone there and pay the 'premium fee' and they will print it while you wait.

Source: Experience.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 3:14pm On Aug 21, 2020
dustydee:

Yay!Welcome back. We were getting worried about your absence. Someone asked about you a few pages back.

Ah dustydee how did I forget you and my justwise (That’s always angry with me) grin thanks love, I missed you plenty too kiss
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 3:16pm On Aug 21, 2020
Mamatukwas:

If I say I did not miss you it will be a big fat lieeee!!! Welcome back Mami! This thread was missing you! Maybe il send you a PM one of these days let’s connect off line as well. Life in this UK is rather DRY!

Please don’t disappear again. Big hugs �

See how you’re making this old woman blush kiss really glad you all are doing fine.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 3:31pm On Aug 21, 2020
nihilistjnr:

You know they print the passport in that building right?

When you go upstairs, there's the waiting room to your left as you come up the stairs. The biometrics room is to your right.

The next room on your right is the passport printing room. You speak to someone there and pay the 'premium fee' and they will print it while you wait.

Source: Experience.

Ehnnn .... maybe it been long but I was told the passport came from Nigeria or an African country grin hence why it takes time. But now you said it, it more efficient to have it printed in the building

(1) (2) (3) ... (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.