Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,966 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:08 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (393) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1304270 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (390) (391) (392) (393) (394) (395) (396) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by uzyfine: 3:56pm On Sep 30, 2020
Good day everyone, please I just visited Uk to write an exam, currently observing my 14 days self isolation, does anyone know the sim card network I can use with my iPhone to have access to mobile data when am not in the house. Like using google map to navigate around,
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 4:09pm On Sep 30, 2020
uzyfine:
Good day everyone, please I just visited Uk to write an exam, currently observing my 14 days self isolation, does anyone know the sim card network I can use with my iPhone to have access to mobile data when am not in the house. Like using google map to navigate around,

You can get lycamobile or lebara. They are all being sold at the shops and can be recharged online

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 4:38pm On Sep 30, 2020
uzyfine:

I would go for GiffGaff.
Lycamobile and Lebara were thick on those days of dependence on voice calls to connect to Naija.
With data calls (2go, Nimbuzz, Whatsapp, Facebook, Telegram etc...) I would go for Giffgaff which gives more data than lyca or lebara for similar money.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 5:21pm On Sep 30, 2020
Can you share the seller you bought from please

claremont:

I have the Amazon FireTV box and 2 firesticks, been using them for years to stream UK and international channels including DSTV full package etc. What you need to do is go on Aliexpress and search for IPTV, ask for a trial until you get the one with the channels you need.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rheminix(m): 5:31pm On Sep 30, 2020
uzyfine:
.mobile data! Three mobile network is the best it offers mind blowing data plan offers, with as low as 11pounds u can enjoy unlimited monthly browsing for 6 months. 22 pounds to enjoy the same unlimited data plan, after 6 months.

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sjj3: 7:42pm On Sep 30, 2020
Thanks.

oludanobi:
Yes, prescription medicine is free in Scotland, you may want to travel with meds to last you for at least a month after you arrive so you don't add that to your settling down worrying , just get a prescription or letter from you doctor in Nigeria to back it up. Best of luck !

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sjj3: 7:44pm On Sep 30, 2020
Thanks.
claremont:

You will not have to pay anything for your medicines in Scotland as medicines dispensed on a valid prescription are free over there. However, in England, you will be charged £9.15 PER ITEM. A prescription might have many items written on it, and you will have to multiply by £9.15 accordingly. The presence or absence of a prescription charge shouldn't be a factor in your decision to choose a university of study though.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sjj3: 7:44pm On Sep 30, 2020
thanks for the clarification.
claremont:

You will not have to pay anything for your medicines in Scotland as medicines dispensed on a valid prescription are free over there. However, in England, you will be charged £9.15 PER ITEM. A prescription might have many items written on it, and you will have to multiply by £9.15 accordingly. The presence or absence of a prescription charge shouldn't be a factor in your decision to choose a university of study though.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by johnez1987: 7:47pm On Sep 30, 2020
Good evening house, I have a question. Will I be taxed if I receive a certain amount from abroad every month either as salary or as normal money sent into my UK account?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by elisinho(m): 8:06pm On Sep 30, 2020
Please I need £150 anyone up to help?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 8:48pm On Sep 30, 2020
You only get taxed on payments that come through ur NI

johnez1987:
Good evening house, I have a question. Will I be taxed if I receive a certain amount from abroad every month either as salary or as normal money sent into my UK account?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 8:49pm On Sep 30, 2020
I can help

elisinho:
Please I need £150 anyone up to help?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 9:14pm On Sep 30, 2020
Did anyone have issues with moneyfex lately? Someone has not been paid almost a day after the transfer.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:18pm On Sep 30, 2020
dustydee:
Did anyone have issues with moneyfex lately? Someone has not been paid almost a day after the transfer.

No mind them.. sometimes you can call. I waited a full day and when I called it was done even before I dropped the call
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by CookingPot(f): 9:21pm On Sep 30, 2020
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 9:37pm On Sep 30, 2020
LagosismyHome:

No mind them.. sometimes you can call. I waited a full day and when I called it was done even before I dropped the call
Thank you.
Called, they said they would but still nothing yet.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 3:08am On Oct 01, 2020
Rheminix:
.mobile data! Three mobile network is the best it offers mind blowing data plan offers, with as low as 11pounds u can enjoy unlimited monthly browsing for 6 months. 22 pounds to enjoy the same unlimited data plan, after 6 months.

You only get those ‘mind blowing’ deals if you are on a contract. Yes?
OP is only in the UK for a couple of days , to write an exams. I doubt if Three Mobile can offer them a contract. No?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rheminix(m): 4:00am On Oct 01, 2020
dustydee:
thats why i prefer Azimo
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 4:38am On Oct 01, 2020
johnez1987:

If you’re unlucky and your name comes up on the HMRC random audit list then you will have to explain every income that passes through your account. Paying taxes on the income should be the least of your worries, it could also be categorised under money laundering depending on the magnitude.
The bottom line is that if you receive regular income from abroad you will need to declare it to save yourself from bother in the future. A lot of people get away with it but you might not be so lucky.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by uzyfine: 5:42am On Oct 01, 2020
RalphJean:

I would go for GiffGaff.
Lycamobile and Lebara were thick on those days of dependence on voice calls to connect to Naija.
With data calls (2go, Nimbuzz, Whatsapp, Facebook, Telegram etc...) I would go for Giffgaff which gives more data than lyca or lebara for similar money.

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by uzyfine: 5:43am On Oct 01, 2020
fatima04:

You can get lycamobile or lebara. They are all being sold at the shops and can be recharged online

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tennyalad(m): 6:58am On Oct 01, 2020
uzyfine:

Depending on your budget. This (£20 option) might be another good option as it gives you sufficient data and minutes to also call home
https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go#simtype=phone+international-bundles

You can take it out from any o2 store or order it online.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tennyalad(m): 7:04am On Oct 01, 2020
marylandcakes:

If you’re unlucky and your name comes up on the HMRC random audit list then you will have to explain every income that passes through your account. Paying taxes on the income should be the least of your worries, it could also be categorised under money laundering depending on the magnitude.
The bottom line is that if you receive regular income from abroad you will need to declare it to save yourself from bother in the future. A lot of people get away with it but you might not be so lucky.

Paying income tax on money earned in a different country can be annoying though. I'd suggest using transferwise and spend directly from the debit card. Also I think there's a threshold somewhere depending on the source of income that's tax free.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tennyalad(m): 7:10am On Oct 01, 2020
claremont:

I have the Amazon FireTV box and 2 firesticks, been using them for years to stream UK and international channels including DSTV full package etc. What you need to do is go on Aliexpress and search for IPTV, ask for a trial until you get the one with the channels you need.

Buddy, which IPTV provider do you use and based on your experience, is it reliable? I use TrojanTV but that's focused more on the UK and does the job. Too many options out there to filter down.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 7:23am On Oct 01, 2020
I'll check this out. Thanks.
omopapa:
gltv

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 7:58am On Oct 01, 2020
Which provider are you using pls? It looks like they are being clamped on from time to time. Did one last year and it only worked for 2 months before it stopped. I eventually deleted the Smart IPTV app because it never came back on till it ran out.
claremont:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 7:59am On Oct 01, 2020
omopapa:
I can help

What’s your rate, bro?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 10:50am On Oct 01, 2020
how much do you want?

icon8:

What’s your rate, bro?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by johnez1987: 12:51pm On Oct 01, 2020
marylandcakes:

If I decide to declare it for tax how many percent will I be charged as per the tax rate? Will it be taxed as a second job?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 1:07pm On Oct 01, 2020
johnez1987:

If I decide to declare it for tax how many percent will I be charged as per the tax rate? Will it be taxed as a second job?

Do HMRC audit personal bank accounts if you dont have a business .... I dont think so oo and wanted to ask when I saw that comment

Now if this money you are using it and officially declaring it as an income for visa purposes then fair enough ..... but if u are not declaring it as an income for visa purposes then why cant it be a gift from naija . If my mother sends me regular money from naija then that cannot be taxed

There also an issue of double taxation. If you are taxed in nigeria then hmrc needs to give tax relief so you dont pay double tax on that money

It all depends on what exactly you are doing with that money from abroad
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 2:36pm On Oct 01, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Do HMRC audit personal bank accounts if you dont have a business .... I dont think so oo and wanted to ask when I saw that comment

Now if this money you are using it and officially declaring it as an income for visa purposes then fair enough ..... but if u are not declaring it as an income for visa purposes then why cant it be a gift from naija . If my mother sends me regular money from naija then that cannot be taxed

There also an issue of double taxation. If you are taxed in nigeria then hmrc needs to give tax relief so you dont pay double tax on that money

It all depends on what exactly you are doing with that money from abroad

At the end of the day it depends on your residential status, if you are UK resident then you have got to pay tax on all your income. There is tax relief to avoid double taxation but you have to to be able to prove it. The HMRC do carry out a random check on accounts mostly businesses and the self employed and if your bank reports money coming into your account from abroad on a regular basis. If you are a foreign student then it doesn't matter but if you are UK resident then the HMRC will take an interest. These days terrorist groups use student accounts to lauder money and the banks have also got a duty to report this. The UK tax system is complicated and gets more complicated once you start receiving income from abroad, thats why you pay an accountant to take the stress away from you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 6:12pm On Oct 01, 2020
johnez1987:

It depends on your residential status, type of income (dividends etc) whether it has already been taxed at source etc and your income here in the UK. All these will determine what tax band you will fall into.

(1) (2) (3) ... (390) (391) (392) (393) (394) (395) (396) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.