Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,961 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (394) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1304267 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (391) (392) (393) (394) (395) (396) (397) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 6:13pm On Oct 01, 2020
tennyalad:

Paying income tax on money earned in a different country can be annoying though. I'd suggest using transferwise and spend directly from the debit card. Also I think there's a threshold somewhere depending on the source of income that's tax free.

All depends on each individual’s circumstances.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by inphoenix: 11:00am On Oct 02, 2020
Please does anyone have any experience with short payment of immigration health surcharge? Particularly for Tier 4 dependants?

The ihs calculator on the ukgov site shows £450 for dependants. At the time of payment however, the system generated an invoice of just £408 which was paid. I mailed UKVI before decision was made and I was told the application was not in the system (hadn't done biometrics at that time) and that I shouldn't be concerned as long as I selected the correct visa category, otherwise I'll be sent a top up link if it is indeed a short payment.

I did not get any top up link and the visa has been issued.

Any advice on what I should expect and how I should proceed on this please?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tobtob: 1:00pm On Oct 02, 2020
Hello all, Can someone direct me on how i can use my Nigerian (airtel) sim here in the UK please ? Many thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by contra(m): 1:02pm On Oct 02, 2020
Just load it and call directly. there is no special way to make it work. you are charged higher fee for calling because you are roaming and you get charged too for receiving calls. remember to add +234 if you are calling Nigeria or +44 if calling someone here.

Tobtob:
Hello all, Can someone direct me on how i can use my Nigerian (airtel) sim here in the UK please ? Many thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 1:03pm On Oct 02, 2020
Tobtob:

What are you trying to use it for?

I believe nothing needs to be done to the sim.

Just enable Mobile roaming on your phone (if it's disabled)

And top up your Airtel SIM card. And be ready to pay 150/min call out
70/min call in
(Or similar rates)
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tobtob: 1:19pm On Oct 02, 2020
I am only trying to keep the Sim card active till i go visit again sometime next year, saves me the stress of reactivating etc. I have Roaming enabled and still nothing. Thanks.

umarwy:

What are you trying to use it for?

I believe nothing needs to be done to the sim.

Just enable Mobile roaming on your phone (if it's disabled)

And top up your Airtel SIM card. And be ready to pay 150/min call out
70/min call in
(Or similar rates)
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 1:25pm On Oct 02, 2020
Tobtob:
I got 595 yesterday, from one of the local shop in Tottenham.

Did u pay commission... this rate is even higher than abokifx. Not bad. I see moneyfex is 575
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 1:32pm On Oct 02, 2020
Tobtob:
I am only trying to keep the Sim card active till i go visit again sometime next year, saves me the stress of reactivating etc. I have Roaming enabled and still nothing. Thanks.

Load card on it every 3 months

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 1:51pm On Oct 02, 2020
I see this thread has now turned to abokiFX, this does not happen in another thread in this section. It will be double standard on my part if this continues. So people please lets stop.

Thank you

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tobtob: 2:45pm On Oct 02, 2020
Yes paid a £20 commission to exchange £566.
LagosismyHome:

Did u pay commission... this rate is even higher than abokifx. Not bad. I see moneyfex is 575
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 2:47pm On Oct 02, 2020
justwise:
I see this thread has now turned to abokiFX, this does not happen in another thread in this section. It will be double standard on my part if this continues. So people please lets stop.

Thank you

How convenient.... Mr Justwise.
If it’s you posting about moneyfex and Azimo and exchanges etc, ON THIS THREAD, then it’s okay.
If it’s others, you hide the comments and throw out a ‘warning’
Sad!

Or can you use your chest to say that you yourself have not posted exchange posts or rates or preferences on this thread?

Not Nice.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 2:59pm On Oct 02, 2020
RalphJean:

How convenient.... Mr Justwise.
If it’s you posting about moneyfex and Azimo and exchanges etc, ON THIS THREAD, then it’s okay.
If it’s others, you hide the comments and throw out a ‘warning’
Sad!

Or can you use your chest to say that you yourself have not posted exchange posts or rates or preferences on this thread?

Not Nice.

I don't own any of those companies you mentioned and they are registered company in case anything goes wrong you know how to get your money back.

This is not the same as individuals posting personal money exchange business here.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 3:25pm On Oct 02, 2020
justwise:

I don't own any of those companies you mentioned and they are registered company in case anything goes wrong you know how to get your money back.

This is not the same as individuals posting personal money exchange business here.

So if I have some ££ and would like to get some naira or vice versa, I should not network with a fellow Nairalander on this thread and barter the monies. Right?

That clarifies it, really.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 3:45pm On Oct 02, 2020
RalphJean:

So if I have some ££ and would like to get some naira or vice versa, I should not network with a fellow Nairalander on this thread and barter the monies. Right?

That clarifies it, really.

I'm not sure what you are on about, my initial post was addressing the increasing number of people who suddenly started advertising money exchange business here, feel free to contact whoever you want to deal with but that is not what i'm taking about.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by contra(m): 3:55pm On Oct 02, 2020
justwise:

I'm not sure what you are on about, my initial post was addressing the increasing number of people who suddenly started advertising money exchange business here, feel free to contact whoever you want to deal with but that is not what i'm taking about.

The people exchanging here are no strangers. I think people should be allowed to transact if they’re comfortable with the deal. I suggested using escrow if the person was concerned.

You said contact whoever but you’ve hidden all the comments, how do we contact the people that need the service?

While I commend your efforts and all the work you do here, you must realise that we are all working towards the same purpose - making life easier for everyone here.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 5:01pm On Oct 02, 2020
Good news for those that paid for IHS beyond 31st March 2020.

You can now apply for every past 6months till its completed.

Below link for application

https://immigration-health-surcharge-reimbursement.service.gov.uk/

And further guidance
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/health-and-care-staff-can-claim-immigration-health-surcharge-reimbursement
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by contra(m): 5:13pm On Oct 02, 2020
justwise:

How do you know that?

I know some people through the platform that i now talk to off this platform. they too know others. You do not think people changing will do their due diligence before parting with their funds?

I do not want to argue, I know you're trying to play safe. Don't worry, I've already done my exchange and moved on.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 6:01pm On Oct 02, 2020
Tobtob:
Yes paid a £20 commission to exchange £566.

Cool... so essentially this was £574 .... close to moneyfex rate

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ab4m: 7:23pm On Oct 02, 2020
Hello room, please how reliable is ohentpay? Or any good rate exchange platform.
Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 8:30pm On Oct 02, 2020
fatima04:
Good news for those that paid for IHS beyond 31st March 2020.

You can now apply for every past 6months till its completed.

Below link for application

https://immigration-health-surcharge-reimbursement.service.gov.uk/

And further guidance
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/health-and-care-staff-can-claim-immigration-health-surcharge-reimbursement

This seems to be for health workers only.

(1) (2) (3) ... (391) (392) (393) (394) (395) (396) (397) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.