Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,542 members, 7,823,372 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (415) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1311578 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (412) (413) (414) (415) (416) (417) (418) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Kingp91: 1:58pm On Oct 31, 2020
Whats the quickest solution?
Aphrodite007:

Yes I’m used to bank processes and I know why they flagged it. But this is so like Barclays, they have done this to friends before.

Normally UK unis let you pay a certain percentage to get the CAS but you will be asked to pay the remaining 3k at a certain time (before uni starts). So it seems the lady must have sent the 3k and Barclays flagged it and stalled the transfer. Now rather than call to confirm, they just assumed it was fraudulent or scam.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by reavealhidden: 3:01pm On Oct 31, 2020
missjekyll:

In other news,I still need naira, people. Please quote me if you have got any. Thanks

Hello, I need pounds. I have sent you a PM. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 3:26pm On Oct 31, 2020
missjekyll:

If I were in your shoes at the moment? i would search the Shortage Occupation list for an occupation related to my first degree. I would then research what else I need to get a job in the UK in that field? do I need further training? What? Where? Experience needed? what kind and where?

It will need a lot of scouring the internet but hey ho faint heart never won fair lady.

In other news,I still need naira, people. Please quote me if you have got any. Thanks

Naira is available as usual! Send a DM and il be happy to sort you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tinyemeka(m): 4:19pm On Oct 31, 2020
Lexusgs430:

I don't have enough talent.......... wink

Iffa hear!

Funny and modest. smiley
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 4:30pm On Oct 31, 2020
grin grin grin
erico2k2:

yes, Una go jst sidon dey look 4 trouble upandown madam mimi nor follow wonlasewonimi ohhh nahim know wetin E dey find with al those bank wey nor get branch!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 4:32pm On Oct 31, 2020
That bros is old school truly cheesy cheesy cheesy #runningaway.

wonlasewonimi:

Thank you jare. I have account with all the banks too but the ease of banking with these new banks cannot be compared. I bought something online one time like that and hsbc blocked my account. I was on the phone with their fraud dept for over 2hrs trying to prove that I made the purchase. Starling would have just sent me a one time password via the app to confirm transaction. Leave bobo erico alone to be enjoying his old school money grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 6:38pm On Oct 31, 2020
Barclays and bros will be charging fees and exchange covering for spending money Europe nonsense and oldies...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 7:15pm On Oct 31, 2020
Aphrodite007:

Leemao! Let me keep quiet and be walking since my 5 years financial history is nothing and I’m now JJC.

Someone is telling you about bank that makes life easy; bank that’s close to their customers, bank that’s usi nig technologies you bridge the gap.. but you’re talking about financial history and comparing those archaic banks that don’t know anything about empathy, relationship building and loyalty to challenger banks. LoL

All Barclays had to do was place a call to understand what happened. Why freeze the bank and make the students acceptance get withdrawn. And that’s what you call a bank? Shior!

You don’t know good service even if it hits you.
lol you are funnny, let me stop you there b4 you go 4ward, for you bank to block your transaction you must have put a 2 point check on it of which you did not complete,,if they send you a code and you did not respond within a frame of time it would be blocked, these are what the banks now do as they have paid billions of money back to customersSo how is it their fault when you as a customer signed up to go woth thier two stage verification and you do not follow suit.?I keep asking what do them banks do that barclays dont do?All tehm banks they are talking about I call kids bank are Online banks,Most of them wont open an account to a fresh person ,most of them will need you to have some sort of financial history with other banks.I disagree about the dificulty to open an account with banks like HSBC or barclays,If you have valid ID and proof of address with £1 your account is opened there and then 3 days later you get your debit card.It only becomes deficult when you dont have valid documentation.Also clling Barclays,HSBC and Natwest old bank sounds funny cos they are Pioneers,they are all up to date in Tech,there is nothing any bank has in the world that tehy do not have,if you think of any Tech them online banks have that the High street banks lack pls let me know
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 7:17pm On Oct 31, 2020
DisGuy:
Barclays and bros will be charging fees and exchange covering for spending money Europe nonsense and oldies...
charging what fees? last time I was i n 9ja, I used my debit card to withdraw money at Uniport 3 times 20k naira each time N60k for the night no charge,
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 7:18pm On Oct 31, 2020
Mimzyy:
That bros is old school truly cheesy cheesy cheesy #runningaway.

Una dey call me Old school, I dey up to date pass most of una here so,Im Y2k compliant Unu nor even sabi! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 7:21pm On Oct 31, 2020
Aphrodite007:

Yes I’m used to bank processes and I know why they flagged it. But this is so like Barclays, they have done this to friends before.

Normally UK unis let you pay a certain percentage to get the CAS but you will be asked to pay the remaining 3k at a certain time (before uni starts). So it seems the lady must have sent the 3k and Barclays flagged it and stalled the transfer. Now rather than call to confirm, they just assumed it was fraudulent or scam.
The have a fraud alert system if your transactions falls withing those parameters your account will be locked untill the account holder verifies it,if you ask me I will say this is roburst 3rd layer security!,If you have thier APp, there is duct you click to i nform them you are going abroad etc to jump stories that torchooooo grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 7:30pm On Oct 31, 2020
wonlasewonimi:

Erico bros, you have to move with time, you cant afford to be stuck in the dark age. In the last couple of years, we have changed how we shop(Amazon etc), how we listen to music(spotify, souncloud), how we watch movies(Netflix), how we commute (uber, tesla), how we live (smarthomes IoTs). The only thing left is banking.

This is what informed these highly available and resilient new banks. They challenged the regulators that they can build a bank from scratch that can compete with old banks and provide service. And, this is what they have done. Most of the features that make these banks different are being copied by the old banks as we speak and that tells you they are doing something right.

Let me burst your bubble, the hsbc, halifax natwest etc are now using machines in their banking halls. They are even closing some branches down. The ones they havent closed, just try and walk-in to see if they would not tell you to go and make your request online. So, what is the point of your brick and mortar?

Anne Boden, the ceo even said they built the bank in such a way that they can even run it from starbucks grin

i am planning to work for them
You have not said anything new,Let me ask you this simple question just be honest and brief, What do these so called new digital Bank do in terms of tech that the Old banks. dont??name just o ne please
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 7:33pm On Oct 31, 2020
Bourne007:
That's the whole concept of 'digital banking' cool

there you go again,there are certain part of banking digital banking can not complete or compete, they lose in these part, and any thing digital banking has, the High street banks long had on thier online platform,Somethng as simple as chip n Pin was brought in by |High street banks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 7:35pm On Oct 31, 2020
erico2k2:

lol you are funnny, let me stop you there b4 you go 4ward, for you bank to block your transaction you must have put a 2 point check on it of which you did not complete,,if they send you a code and you did not respond within a frame of time it would be blocked, these are what the banks now do as they have paid billions of money back to customersSo how is it their fault when you as a customer signed up to go woth thier two stage verification and you do not follow suit.?I keep asking what do them banks do that barclays dont do?All tehm banks they are talking about I call kids bank are Online banks,Most of them wont open an account to a fresh person ,most of them will need you to have some sort of financial history with other banks.I disagree about the dificulty to open an account with banks like HSBC or barclays,If you have valid ID and proof of address with £1 your account is opened there and then 3 days later you get your debit card.It only becomes deficult when you dont have valid documentation.Also clling Barclays,HSBC and Natwest old bank sounds funny cos they are Pioneers,they are all up to date in Tech,there is nothing any bank has in the world that tehy do not have,if you think of any Tech them online banks have that the High street banks lack pls let me know

It’s making me laugh how you are arguing with your full chest against people’s personal experiences grin
When we 1st moved here. Santander did not open an account for me. The ‘system’ rejected the Staffs attempt to open for me. Barclays needed me to book an appointment and come in to open an account. I came here and someone advised Starling. They opened in 1 day and it’s been a dream since.

I’ve since opened with Barclays and BOS but Starling beats them all hands down for convenience, ease of use and client intuitiveness.

I’m not saying the old banks are bad. But challenger ‘online’ only banks definitely have things to offer that they don’t. They are DEFINITELY more nimble and responsive. That alone is enough for me.

I understand your sentiments sha... it’s obvious you may not be a spring chicken like my own oga smiley Sanu.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 7:36pm On Oct 31, 2020
Kingp91:
Whats the quickest solution?

No quick solution, especially as it’s those archaic banks. She just has to wait till Monday to call the bank and rectify. Then she has to call the uni’s finance department to explain to them as well and try the payment again, over the phone.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 7:38pm On Oct 31, 2020
Mamatukwas:

It’s making me laugh how you are arguing with your full chest against people’s personal experiences grin
When we 1st moved here. Santander did not open an account for me. The ‘system’ rejected the Staffs attempt to open for me. Barclays needed me to book an appointment and come in to open an account. I came here and someone advised Starling. They opened in 1 day and it’s been a dream since.

I’ve since opened with Barclays and BOS but Starling beats them all hands down for convenience, ease of use and client intuitiveness.

I’m not saying the old banks are bad. But challenger ‘online’ only banks definitely have things to offer that they don’t. They are DEFINITELY more nimble and responsive. That alone is enough for me.

I understand your sentiments sha... it’s obvious you may not be a spring chicken like my own oga smiley Sanu.
So you are telling me you went to Santander with your proof to live i n the Uk and proof of adress a system they have refused to open an account for you am I right?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 7:39pm On Oct 31, 2020
erico2k2:

No sweetheart, I assure you, it has happened to my friends before. You put in the OTP it whatever, and they still hold back the money. Just because they think it’s fraud or scam. Besides, to pay tuition, you must do a transfer not a payment. So she actually sent the money, they stalled it but didn’t inform her. How is that good service?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 7:45pm On Oct 31, 2020
Aphrodite007:

No sweetheart, I assure you, it has happened to my friends before. You put in the OTP it whatever, and they still hold back the money. Just because they think it’s fraud or scam. Besides, to pay tuition, you must do a transfer not a payment. So she actually sent the money, they stalled it but didn’t inform her. How is that good service?
I get that bit, Im not arguing on that, any system that has vast part of it as customer service will perform low at some point, if you go to Metro bank which is the newest high street bank in the Uk in 34 years you will see they are very customer focused, they even open on Sundays and close 7 pm weekdays grin grin grin them dey look for customers,My argument is this, Any kind of tech platform the Digital banks has, the high street has the equivalent if not far better,if you check the Billions they have paid as repayment cos of fraud you will understand why they have to do this and this is free banking dont forget.My point is this and simple, the Digital bankingdoes not have more tech than the trditional High street banks.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 7:53pm On Oct 31, 2020
erico2k2:

So you are telling me you went to Santander with your proof to live i n the Uk and proof of adress a system they have refused to open an account for you am I right?

Yes Sir. They opened for my husband already. The same person who opened it could not open for me when I booked an ‘appointment’ and went back. They said the system is not letting them at this time that I should come back and they will try again grin I think it may have been because I was but a house wife. They couldn’t guarantee that the account will see money grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 8:37pm On Oct 31, 2020
erico2k2:

You have not said anything new,Let me ask you this simple question just be honest and brief, What do these so called new digital Bank do in terms of tech that the Old banks. dont??name just o ne please

Let me google that for you!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 8:46pm On Oct 31, 2020
wonlasewonimi:

Let me google that for you!
Ok I dey wait
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 8:50pm On Oct 31, 2020
erico2k2:

Ok I dey wait

bros i aint telling you shyte...if you like wait till fashola finds another camera

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 9:09pm On Oct 31, 2020
wonlasewonimi:

bros i aint telling you shyte...if you like wait till fashola finds another camera
There aint none,I was expecting nothing
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Raisin: 9:18pm On Oct 31, 2020
Hello people.
Which Nigerian food stuff online store will give me the best value for money?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 9:25pm On Oct 31, 2020
Raisin:
Hello people.
Which Nigerian food stuff online store will give me the best value for money?

Still is Wosiwosi for me tbh and I’ve tried a few.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Raisin: 9:27pm On Oct 31, 2020
Mamatukwas:

Still is Wosiwosi for me tbh and I’ve tried a few.

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Raisin: 10:20pm On Oct 31, 2020
Raisin:

Thank you

I just checked their website now and my shipping fee is 29.99 on a £64 pounds order. The weight is 51.7kg

This is not okay for me o.

Ejor, my people is there any other online store I can order from. I stay around Cambridgeshire
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 10:27pm On Oct 31, 2020
erico2k2:

charging what fees? last time I was i n 9ja, I used my debit card to withdraw money at Uniport 3 times 20k naira each time N60k for the night no charge,

Bros, you wanna see my statement? Was charged last time I used it in naija, was also charged in Houston. Just last week made payment for products in ghana was charged, pennies but still charge na charge
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:28pm On Oct 31, 2020
Raisin:

I just checked their website now and my shipping fee is 29.99 on a £64 pounds order. The weight is 51.7kg

This is not okay for me o.

Ejor, my people is there any other online store I can order from. I stay around Cambridgeshire

I think they use a flat fee because one time when I added items to my basket . It was over 200 pounds and shipping was about 20ish. Although I didnt complete and drove to Ades instead.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 10:39pm On Oct 31, 2020
DisGuy:

Bros, you wanna see my statement? Was charged last time I used it in naija, was also charged in Houston. Just last week made payment for products in ghana was charged, pennies but still charge na charge

So, you actually believed him telling lies about not being charged in Nigeria lol
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 10:45pm On Oct 31, 2020
wonlasewonimi:

So, you actually believed him telling lies about not being charged in Nigeria lol

Ericko is a big man, he might be one of Barclays major shareholders. They dare not charge him foreign fx fees. Not even in naija! grin

Thank goodness for woolwich bank that year, just got a random letter from one of these oldies to come and collect my money...

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 10:47pm On Oct 31, 2020
DisGuy:

Ericko is a big man, he might be one of Barclays major shareholders. They dare not charge him foreign fx fees. Not even in naija! grin

Thank goodness for woolwich bank that year, just got a random letter from one of these oldies to come and collect my money...

True sha..imagine withdrawing from barclays atm for the past 20 years grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (412) (413) (414) (415) (416) (417) (418) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: masagoody(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.