Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,475 members, 7,823,104 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1311506 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 10:40pm On Jul 03, 2018
And ofcourse the evening tram too was cancelled because of one spoilt cable and elongated my travel time by more than an hour.

Now the energy to refire my driving lessons has been renewed
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 11:10pm On Jul 03, 2018
fatima04:
So one silly voice spoilt my day and decided to rear it's ugly head after 45mins of getting to work, and that was the voice of " did I switch the gas cooker off". I was 70% sure I turned it off but just couldn't shake the voice.

The annoying part I wanted to avoid was taking a cab as tram/bus will take me like an hr so I decided to call my electricity provider emergency services asking them to switch it off while I was at work. The guy was helpful but kept sounding like "just ask your boss to release you now" and also the what if something bad happens and I could have avoided it with 30 pound

Eventually, rushed home met the emergency guy waiting for me and of course the cooker was off, I was so pissed ehn and I had to confirm if I was going to be charged for the emergency visit and the guy said its free, I was quite happy with that but mad about the money had to pay for the fro journey, e still they pepper me for body.

**Rant over

You are not alone, £30 or you would have pulled your hair out. It happens to the best of us. £30 for your rest of mind. Next time, what you do is once you’ve switched it off or locked the front door. Say it out loud to yourself. That’s what I do . It sounds crazy but it works for me .trust me you will remember. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 11:15pm On Jul 03, 2018
fatima04:
So one silly voice spoilt my day and decided to rear it's ugly head after 45mins of getting to work, and that was the voice of " did I switch the gas cooker off". I was 70% sure I turned it off but just couldn't shake the voice.

The annoying part I wanted to avoid was taking a cab as tram/bus will take me like an hr so I decided to call my electricity provider emergency services asking them to switch it off while I was at work. The guy was helpful but kept sounding like "just ask your boss to release you now" and also the what if something bad happens and I could have avoided it with 30 pound

Eventually, rushed home met the emergency guy waiting for me and of course the cooker was off, I was so pissed ehn and I had to confirm if I was going to be charged for the emergency visit and the guy said its free, I was quite happy with that but mad about the money had to pay for the fro journey, e still they pepper me for body.

**Rant over

OCD thingz

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 12:23am On Jul 04, 2018
fatima04:

**Rant over

grin can’t be too safe dear. No too vex for the money iye tongue
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 12:34am On Jul 04, 2018
5H4D3:
So glad to see this thread. I ve been reading for about 3 days now. Yet to finish sha but i need to ask a question . I need guide please. My hubby is a doctor and I m a computer scientist , I have worked as a web developer since 2012 in a software development company. We are close to migrating o the UK with our 2 kids before this time next year if all go as planned. Mt area of strength (PHP / J2EE). My hubby has a career path already in the UK via PLAB. What do you think I can do please? How do I get a job? What d I have to do please? my 2 kids currently under 3 years but the first should be more than 3 by the time we move. Any tip for me especially? Wont mind to have a job so as to help the family.

If I m to do my Masters, which area should I consider?

The IT gurus here should help me.

What other skills should I add please?

@wonlasewonimi

Hey.

You’re welcome to the UK, land of crazy possibilities for programmers. First of I’ll advice you X the masters. If you insist on doing the masters now, you will put a lot of pressure on hubby to pay tuition fees (at intl student rate). Also, trust me, you don’t need that masters in the UK, at least not now. You will be shocked at how 90% of your managers just have A levels (no first degree). You can get a job here even without a first degree as far as you’re skilled.

Secondly, you’re a programmer, you are hot cake. Look up different sites when you get here and apply. While applying, look up other languages you can learn to improve your employability. If programming takes too long, there are lotsa other jobs out there that you can do “humble beginnings” with, then after 6 months, you would gain the confidence you need.

Finally, whatever job you apply for, target the lower level, it’s a trick to getting into the company first (because when compared with lower level applicants, you May be the best). When you get in and work 6 months, if they don’t promote you, you can leave and find a better paying job. This shouldn’t stop you from accepting a high level job if offered.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 7:10am On Jul 04, 2018
Aphrodite007:

Hey.

You’re welcome to the UK, land of crazy possibilities for programmers. First of I’ll advice you X the masters. If you insist on doing the masters now, you will put a lot of pressure on hubby to pay tuition fees (at intl[b] student rate)[/b].

Saw something on gov.uk that you can pay home student fees if based here and I can confirmed from a university near me. Though the fees will still be like 4k5 per yr depending on the duration and course programme, which is still a lot of financial pressure.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 7:10am On Jul 04, 2018
Aphrodite007:

grin can’t be too safe dear. No too vex for the money iye tongue
Thank you jare. grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 7:11am On Jul 04, 2018
DaveChapelle:

OCD thingz

So I hear but till it happens... then one will be glad
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 7:17am On Jul 04, 2018
marylandcakes:

You are not alone, £30 or you would have pulled your hair out. It happens to the best of us. £30 for your rest of mind. Next time, what you do is once you’ve switched it off or locked the front door. Say it out loud to yourself. That’s what I do . It sounds crazy but it works for me .trust me you will remember. grin

Thank you sis. Will try that.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fabgirl22(f): 10:15am On Jul 04, 2018
Anyone know any Nigerian families looking for a live out nanny/nannyshare in London, especially east London, Pm me if you know any.cheers

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 11:59am On Jul 04, 2018
Killingmesoftly:

Yep. Sill here

how far nau? you not replying my message
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 1:33pm On Jul 04, 2018
fatima04:

Saw something on gov.uk that you can pay home student fees if based here and I can confirmed from a university near me. Though the fees will still be like 4k5 per yr depending on the duration and course programme, which is still a lot of financial pressure.

You can’t pay home fees until after 3 years of continuously living in the UK (and paying taxes). I learned this from a guru here. I’m sure he will tell you the same thing when he sees your comment. Unless it has changed.

Precisely because that money isn’t easy to come by, is why you should focus on getting a job not another degree. When una don hammer, you can go back to school. I’ve got a masters and it’s absolutely nothing to them, they just stare at me in amazement that I’ve got one. E dey even pain sef when you get to lose a job to someone with just a degree (and worse if you lose it to someone without a degree grin).. all that matters here is skills.

So work on your coding skills, learn new languages and you’ll be on fire. Even if you want to go to school, there are coding schools to go to where you pay less and you get a job immediately, especially as na woman you be (you know they are trying to increase femininity in STEM).

Oh and I’ve got a degree (two sef) in Computing so I know what I’m saying.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 3:40pm On Jul 04, 2018
Aphrodite007:

You can’t pay home fees until after 3 years of continuously living in the UK (and paying taxes). I learned this from a guru here. I’m sure he will tell you the same thing when he sees your comment. Unless it has changed.

Precisely because that money isn’t easy to come by, is why you should focus on getting a job not another degree. When una don hammer, you can go back to school. I’ve got a masters and it’s absolutely nothing to them, they just stare at me in amazement that I’ve got one. E dey even pain sef when you get to lose a job to someone with just a degree (and worse if you lose it to someone without a degree grin).. all that matters here is skills.

So work on your coding skills, learn new languages and you’ll be on fire. Even if you want to go to school, there are coding schools to go to where you pay less and you get a job immediately, especially as na woman you be (you know they are trying to increase femininity in STEM).

Oh and I’ve got a degree (two sef) in Computing so I know what I’m saying.

You are right , paper / certificate don't mean a thing here , what an employer wants is the best man/woman who can do the job. Nigerians love to collect certificates sha

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Braket: 4:33pm On Jul 04, 2018
Rubyventures:

You are right , paper / certificate don't mean a thing here , what an employer wants is the best man/woman who can do the job. Nigerians love to collect certificates sha
I think that is because the job market in Nigeria encourages that grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 4:54pm On Jul 04, 2018
Aphrodite007:

You can’t pay home fees until after 3 years of continuously living in the UK (and paying taxes). I learned this from a guru here. I’m sure he will tell you the same thing when he sees your comment. Unless it has

I knew there will be a clause to it sha grin UK isn't nice when technically you are not an international student. Just raking the money in. Wont mind knowing the source of the clause in case u find out.

Your analysis about oyinbos caring more about skill is right but the degree also helps getting your foot in the door with applications and interviews for some profession. In my own field now they can't fully test your skill during an interview so basis will still be your educational and professional background.

All in all, over certification isn't necessary

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 8:24pm On Jul 04, 2018
fatima04:

I knew there will be a clause to it sha grin UK isn't nice when technically you are not an international student. Just raking the money in. Wont mind knowing the source of the clause in case u find out.

Your analysis about oyinbos caring more about skill is right but the degree also helps getting your foot in the door with applications and interviews for some profession. In my own field now they can't fully test your skill during an interview so basis will still be your educational and professional background.

All in all, over certification isn't necessary

Even if you are a British citizen, if you have not lived in the uk for 3 years the government will not pay your school fees.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 10:03pm On Jul 04, 2018
marylandcakes:

Even if you are a British citizen, if you have not lived in the uk for 3 years the government will not pay your school fees.

Does govt pay for university fees? Just thought it's way cheaper than international fees. Na them sabi sef. Education coat is on the shelf for now

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Killingmesoftly: 10:04pm On Jul 04, 2018
DaveChapelle:

how far nau? you not replying my message

Sorry ps. I am unable to access my mail box for now. U can resend the mail later
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 10:06pm On Jul 04, 2018
fatima04:

Does govt pay for university fees? Just thought it's way cheaper than international fees. Na them sabi sef. Education coat is on the shelf for now

Yes about 9k a year depending on the course. First degree
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 11:32pm On Jul 04, 2018
Killingmesoftly:

Sorry ps. I am unable to access my mail box for now. U can resend the mail later
should I ask the question here? Before the omo nile office start saying we're showing ourselves
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 1:37am On Jul 05, 2018
Oya gurus I have come again o grin

So I got this lovely job at a bank so I can keep busy while I wait for a job in my field. However my contract has a clause that says that if I leave without notice I’ll pay some money (if the bank decides to charge me). So I’m worried. I got a call today for a job in my field with an immediate start, dunno if I should just X it and continue with the bank. After all, the new job hasn’t given me an offer, it was just a recruiter.

Anyway, I told the recruiter that I’ll need a 4 week notice period and that if the company can’t wait, then I’m not the one for the job. I dunno if that was wrong. Can I just leave my job like that? What do I do in circumstances like this?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 5:39am On Jul 05, 2018
Aphrodite007:
Oya gurus I have come again o grin

So I got this lovely job at a bank so I can keep busy while I wait for a job in my field. However my contract has a clause that says that if I leave without notice I’ll pay some money (if the bank decides to charge me). So I’m worried. I got a call today for a job in my field with an immediate start, dunno if I should just X it and continue with the bank. After all, the new job hasn’t given me an offer, it was just a recruiter.

Anyway, I told the recruiter that I’ll need a 4 week notice period and that if the company can’t wait, then I’m not the one for the job. I dunno if that was wrong. Can I just leave my job like that? What do I do in circumstances like this?

It’s always in your best interest to give notice before you leave a job. The new job will expect you to give notice to your old one. Also don’t forget that you might need them to also give you a reference. There is a saying that “don’t pass the road and shit” we live in a very small world so do the right thing and put in your notice. Also never leave a job without an offer of appointment as a “bird in hand is worth two in the bush”. Good luck.

Also recruitment agents are like estate agents they just want their commission. They don’t really give a damn about you.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 9:51am On Jul 05, 2018
^^ True, most jobs won't expect you to start the next day except you told them you're available. they usually expect 4-6 weeks and you can even tell them you have Holidays booked already!

If you have only done a couple of months with your employee, you wont have to see out the whole notice period-You can also negotiate with your current employer to leave early or forego some pay covering your leave notice.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Killingmesoftly: 11:40am On Jul 05, 2018
DaveChapelle:
should I ask the question here? Before the omo nile office start saying we're showing ourselves

Depending. But u can send the mail this weekend. I will retify the problem soon
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 11:44am On Jul 05, 2018
marylandcakes:

It’s always in your best interest to give notice before you leave a job. The new job will expect you to give notice to your old one. Also don’t forget that you might need them to also give you a reference. There is a saying that “don’t pass the road and shit” we live in a very small world so do the right thing and put in your notice. Also never leave a job without an offer of appointment as a “bird in hand is worth two in the bush”. Good luck.

Also recruitment agents are like estate agents they just want their commission. They don’t really give a damn about you.

Big hugs!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 11:45am On Jul 05, 2018
DisGuy:
^^ True, most jobs won't expect you to start the next day except you told them you're available. they usually expect 4-6 weeks and you can even tell them you have Holidays booked already!

If you have only done a couple of months with your employee, you wont have to see out the whole notice period-You can also negotiate with your current employer to leave early or forego some pay covering your leave notice.

Thank you. It’s good to know that I can do this.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 12:27pm On Jul 05, 2018
Killingmesoftly:

Depending. But u can send the mail this weekend. I will retify the problem soon

my email is mockprofileid@gmail.com...I'm a bit needy of urgent info pls, as regards my fiancee too
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 6:13pm On Jul 05, 2018
To UK veterans, pls what could be wrong. I called to book an appointment with my GP and also request for NHS number as requested by the dentist I plan to register with, only for them to tell me my records show inactive because I have transferred elsewhere which I obviously did not do and was told to call the next day for them to investigate.

I called again to be told I must have transferred my records, which is impossible because I haven't even visited any GP since I did my registration with them. Eventually the lady asked if I do have resident permit to be in the country and I need to show a proof of this before they can re-register me and I remember I submitted all this before.

It's even so annoying because I don't really have the time to go there and this will affect my dentist appt. And apparently it affected my sons documents too after he took all his shots with them o.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:21pm On Jul 05, 2018
fatima04:
To UK veterans, pls what could be wrong. I called to book an appointment with my GP and also request for NHS number as requested by the dentist I plan to register with, only for them to tell me my records show inactive because I have transferred elsewhere which I obviously did not do and was told to call the next day for them to investigate.

I called again to be told I must have transferred my records, which is impossible because I haven't even visited any GP since I did my registration with them. Eventually the lady asked if I do have resident permit to be in the country and I need to show a proof of this before they can re-register me and I remember I submitted all this before.

It's even so annoying because I don't really have the time to go there and this will affect my dentist appt. And apparently it affected my sons documents too after he took all his shots with them o.

It could be an identity theft issue, admin error or just plain incompetence.

Allow the investigation and re-submit your details in the interim, for re-registration....

Health is wealth...... If you desperately require any medical intervention, the time would suffice......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 8:14pm On Jul 05, 2018
fatima04:

GP service is supposed to be free irrespective of immigration status, as well as A&E, except the managers at the GP just want to give you hard time
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 10:33pm On Jul 05, 2018
Lexusgs430:

It could be an identity theft issue, admin error or just plain incompetence.

Allow the investigation and re-submit your details in the interim, for re-registration....

Health is wealth...... If you desperately require any medical intervention, the time would suffice......

Hmmmn @identity theft I pray not oo. Thank you, will re-submit and see how it goes.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 10:34pm On Jul 05, 2018
DaveChapelle:

GP service is supposed to be free irrespective of immigration status, as well as A&E, except the managers at the GP just want to give you hard time

So I thought just hope it's a one-off occurence

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.