Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,008 members, 7,810,794 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (47) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1302812 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 9:10pm On Jun 25, 2018
Aphrodite007:

Sorry about this. Had a similar experience in Wales too.

When I was a student, I worked in care. Went for a job in the outskirts of Wales. The home had an epidemic but as a JJc I didn’t understand what it was. I had missed work for a while because I was hospitalised so I had to take this job. It was just me and a white woman as carers then a white nurse and a white senior. They had over 50 residents, guess what? Only me took care of all of them because the white carer told the nurse that she couldn’t go close to residents because they are sick. So the nurse and senior made sure only me catered to all of them while the white one washed plates. Halfway through the night, the white carer yelled at the nurse that she’s going home. Nurse and senior begged her. Me I was still running around.

The only time I had to sit down was when I went to the loo. Around 5am I got to sit down and use my phone, I googled what the epidemic was and screamed, (It was an airborn disease so I was literally set up to get the disease). Around 6am (I close at 7am), nurse told me to do final rounds before handover, but I para’d for the nurse that they treated me unfairly and didn’t protect me against he disease (no air mask), that I’m not doing anything! She reported me to director, director told me to get out. I asked them to pay me for the hours worked... lol I obviously didn’t get paid.

I reported to my agency, but the director called them before I did. I sent in my application for resignation Cos the way they were sounding they were going to fire me. Went to citizens bureau to sue the home/agency for negligence because my agency knew I had low immune system but still sent me there. They told me not to bother. As I walked out, my hatred for this country solidified. (Oh and I caught the disease too grin)

I am wiser now.

Once I smell racism, Unless it’s a structured office like where I work now that has a reputation, I’ve learned to manage till I get a new job. Cos my arguing with the nurse, one hour to closing, was absolutely stupid. I forgot I wasn’t white enough to claim rights grin. I could have managed the one hour, collected my pay and just never visited that home. That way, I would have still had my Job (it was a high paying care agency And I left my previous job for it).

Na real experience oo, hope d disease isn't too bad sha, truth is settling in a more mixed setting increases d chance of acceptability and one can't totally eliminate racism but only manage it.

Be strong @living free and if you think you can't cope anymore best to make a permanent solution or decision

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 9:18pm On Jun 25, 2018
Pls which job are you people doing as contractors oo, is it IT or construction or which
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 11:46pm On Jun 25, 2018
fatima04:

Na real experience oo, hope d disease isn't too bad sha, truth is settling in a more mixed setting increases d chance of acceptability and one can't totally eliminate racism but only manage it.

Be strong @living free and if you think you can't cope anymore best to make a permanent solution or decision

Exactly my point. Manage till you can change circumstances. Na condition dey make crayfish bend!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by salford: 5:09am On Jun 26, 2018
Rubyventures:

There is racism, even in London, although it is much subtle sometimes you have to play the game with them, do the plastic smile to get on.

The first time I experienced racism in the UK was inside a bus in Dagenham. Who would have imagined...lol

Approximately 90% of everyone in the bus were black or mixed race. The hag just kept swearing and cursing, luckily for her, smart phones could not take quality videos back then.

Apparently, Barking and Dagenham used to be a bnp stronghold back. Not sure if it still is.

The systematic racism at work was kind of funny. The same type discussed here where your white colleagues would get all the accolades and recognition despite you being the brain behind the team. I just put in my effort, collect salary and my quarterly bonus. No time for drama.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 10:47am On Jun 26, 2018
salford:

The first time I experienced racism in the UK was inside a bus in Dagenham. Who would have imagined...lol

Approximately 90% of everyone in the bus were black or mixed race. The hag just kept swearing and cursing, luckily for her, smart phones could not take quality videos back then.

Apparently, Barking and Dagenham used to be a bnp stronghold back. Not sure if it still is.

The systematic racism at work was kind of funny. The same type discussed here where your white colleagues would get all the accolades and recognition despite you being the brain behind the team. I just put in my effort, collect salary and my quarterly bonus. No time for drama.

You are right no time for drama. you've got to learn to choose battles you are 100% sure you will win, especially when you are climbing up professionally, it is very easy to get your name black listed.

Barking and Dagenham used to be strong BNP go there today the Black Africans have taken over and the few white faces you will see are eastern Europeans. Its full of African shops and eastern European shops. The whites have moved further to places like Billericay .Even Romford and Upminster is slowly been taken over by blacks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 1:27pm On Jun 26, 2018
salford:

I dey tell you, no time for drama. Best not to be foolish like me and think you can fight it.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dafemnet: 2:52pm On Jun 26, 2018
I dont think you wld encounter racism in IT industry as a black man.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 4:47pm On Jun 26, 2018
I also think its depends a lot on Industry/Sector and cities...Why Wales... aren't they still counting the number of sheep in the field

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:49pm On Jun 26, 2018
dafemnet:

You must be joking.....

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by salford: 8:00pm On Jun 26, 2018
dafemnet:
Even someone that was stabbed (about to lose life) is refusing to be treated by a black doctor, and you are talking about IT grin

And this was just last month.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/22/teenager-refused-treated-black-doctor-stabbed-back-7569761/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10855575/Racist-couple-demanded-white-doctor.html

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 9:04pm On Jun 26, 2018
salford:

Even someone that was stabbed (about to lose life) is refusing to be treated by a black doctor, and you are talking about IT grin

And this was just last month.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/22/teenager-refused-treated-black-doctor-stabbed-back-7569761/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10855575/Racist-couple-demanded-white-doctor.html

them no stab am wella
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 11:45pm On Jun 26, 2018
DaveChapelle:

them no stab am wella

Looool grin

Didn't know wales had this much vile people
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 9:02am On Jun 28, 2018
I don come. Thank God for a safe trip. Straight to business no time to count bridge.
But shebi una say na summer be this, Omo I want to freeze oh. How winter go come be.
This is to thank you all that guided me in one way or the other through your post in reply to my many "learner questions" and your replies to the questions of others. Counting on your guidance as I begin this new phase of my live.
God save the Queen, abi na bless the queen, all join.
Make I go find that winter jacket.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 9:37am On Jun 28, 2018
sutelk:
I don come. Thank God for a safe trip. Straight to business no time to count bridge.
But shebi una say na summer be this, Omo I want to freeze oh. How winter go come be.
This is to thank you all that guided me in one way or the other through your post in reply to my many "learner questions" and your replies to the questions of others. Counting on your guidance as I begin this new phase of my live.

Hahaha
This very hot weather!

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ecstacy29: 11:43am On Jun 28, 2018
sutelk:

Welcome to the land of milk and honey.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 12:59pm On Jun 28, 2018
sutelk:

Welcome Oga, this weather no be here o. Maybe na Airport fresh breeze dey worry you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 8:39pm On Jun 28, 2018
The weather is terrible embarassed
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dafemnet: 9:31pm On Jun 28, 2018
Which phone insurance cover overseas theft(Nigeria).
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 10:05pm On Jun 28, 2018
Mamatukwas:
The weather is terrible embarassed

Yes it’s too hot. All this week I’ve not had to take a cardigan to work. It’s been sleeveless all week.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 10:14pm On Jun 28, 2018
marylandcakes:

Yes it’s too hot. All this week I’ve not had to take a cardigan to work. It’s been sleeveless all week.

I have been wearing shorts.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 10:21pm On Jun 28, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

I have been wearing shorts.

You are lucky, not allowed in my work place.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 10:43pm On Jun 28, 2018
marylandcakes:

You are lucky, not allowed in my work place.

If you like you can wear thong to work here....where I used to work it's strictly smart casual.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 10:51pm On Jun 28, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

If you like you can wear thong to work here....where I used to work it's strictly smart casual.

About 3 years back it was allowed and then staff were coming to work in bum shorts and pyjamas like wears. Not very professional. So a memo went round to stop any kind of shorts, flip flops and rugged jeans. Even on dress down Fridays.

So it’s smart sensible casual because we get clients coming into the office.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:00pm On Jun 28, 2018
marylandcakes:

About 3 years back it was allowed and then staff were coming to work in bum shorts and pyjamas like wears. Not very professional. So a memo went round to stop any kind of shorts, flip flops and rugged jeans. Even on dress down Fridays.

So it’s smart sensible casual because we get clients coming into the office.

Yeah they do abuse it...Distraction galore for guys at work wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 1:01am On Jun 29, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

Sounds like my own work place. If it were my office in naij, HR would have called me to preach about indecency grin

these people here no send- the things I see in my office, I just cover my eyes with the blood of Jesus.. and it’s a corporate institution o. The management just decided to give staff free hand. Me likey

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:52am On Jun 29, 2018
dafemnet:

Travel insurance (inform them of valuables you intend travelling with)... You cannot retrospectively file a claim....

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:20am On Jun 29, 2018
On days like this, a house with Air conditioning unit is on a long sweaty unrestable dilemma.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Killingmesoftly: 2:24pm On Jun 29, 2018
Good day dear house ps my step sister wishes to apply for UK student visa from Nigeria for her master and she doesn't know how to go about it. Ps I really need someone that will be able to give us all the guidance she need and the procedures. The most important thing is that we want to know how much she can have in her savings account to procedure for all these. Will 4 or 5M be okey ps
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 2:43pm On Jun 29, 2018
dafemnet:

Travel insurance...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jun 29, 2018
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jun 29, 2018
Lexusgs430:
On days like this, a house without Air conditioning unit is on a long sweaty unrestable dilemma.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jun 29, 2018
Killingmesoftly:
Good day dear house ps my step sister wishes to apply for UK student visa from Nigeria for her master and she doesn't know how to go about it. Ps I really need someone that will be able to give us all the guidance she need and the procedures. The most important thing is that we want to know how much she can have in her savings account to procedure for all these. Will 4 or 5M be okey ps

A student thread already exists, track it down and repost.....

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.