Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,369 members, 7,819,328 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (50) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1309227 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:35pm On Jul 05, 2018
DaveChapelle:

GP service is supposed to be free irrespective of immigration status, as well as A&E, except the managers at the GP just want to give you hard time

I beg to disagree......

General Practice consultation cannot be free. A & E is free for emergency interventions, but after patient is stable and status known, overseas managers handling team would be on the patients case......

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 6:58pm On Jul 07, 2018
Guys I really feel I should make a complaint officially asides Google review. I am open to suggestions sha on how to ensure this doesn't happen again or to anyone else.

So after my stressful week and all, I struggled to go to the GP before close of business yesterday and presented my BRP and passport and did not bother with proof of house residence since they have that. After several meeting inside and all na so they come reject my BRP oo that they need something that specifically says I am a permanent resident in the country, and they can't register me because of that.

I then asked for the speficic document needed, it must sha have a name and if they specify I can know what they want from me but she kept saying it can be anything just something to say I am based here, at this point I was getting irritated and frustrated and trying not to loose my cool and she said they can't register me and they assumed I was going to bring something that specifically says I am a permanent residence hence the assurance of getting it resolved quickly.

The part that got me angry was when she said they can't register me and if I really needed it I can easily go to another GP that there are others just outside the door and if not I should wait till Monday for their patient manager to decide if they can accept the BRP.

In all this banter I showed them that my son who is affected with the same issue already has his NHS number and asked why they never sent any letter to request for him to prove his resident status before deactivating him.

After all is said and done, I left there and decided to register with the next door GP who later discovered that I was not even registered with them in the first place so was never issued a number but somehow somehow my son's own was approved while mine was disapproved and he was not born here oo.

Also, I probably won't even realise this problem if I had not called them and I agree with oga lexusg430 that there incompetence even did not allow them help or offer a solution, they just acted like the usual naija "government" workers.

So I am thinking I should either send an email to UKVI stating that I was denied health registration and access because of my BRP after paying health surcharge for 3yrs advance oo and maybe NHS as well. Too much or too little smiley smiley
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 7:04pm On Jul 07, 2018
You can/should also make a complaint against the GP practise. Gp receptionist are one of the rude clog in NHS. Getting an appointment is rocket science. Make a full blown complaint and also avoid the place afterwards.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 8:40pm On Jul 07, 2018
fatima04:
Guys I really feel I should make a complaint officially asides Google review. I am open to suggestions sha on how to ensure this doesn't happen again or to anyone else.

So after my stressful week and all, I struggled to go to the GP before close of business yesterday and presented my BRP and passport and did not bother with proof of house residence since they have that. After several meeting inside and all na so they come reject my BRP oo that they need something that specifically says I am a permanent resident in the country, and they can't register me because of that.

I then asked for the speficic document needed, it must sha have a name and if they specify I can know what they want from me but she kept saying it can be anything just something to say I am based here, at this point I was getting irritated and frustrated and trying not to loose my cool and she said they can't register me and they assumed I was going to bring something that specifically says I am a permanent residence hence the assurance of getting it resolved quickly.

The part that got me angry was when she said they can't register me and if I really needed it I can easily go to another GP that there are others just outside the door and if not I should wait till Monday for their patient manager to decide if they can accept the BRP.

In all this banter I showed them that my son who is affected with the same issue already has his NHS number and asked why they never sent any letter to request for him to prove his resident status before deactivating him.

After all is said and done, I left there and decided to register with the next door GP who later discovered that I was not even registered with them in the first place so was never issued a number but somehow somehow my son's own was approved while mine was disapproved and he was not born here oo.

Also, I probably won't even realise this problem if I had not called them and I agree with oga lexusg430 that there incompetence even did not allow them help or offer a solution, they just acted like the usual naija "government" workers.

So I am thinking I should either send an email to UKVI stating that I was denied health registration and access because of my BRP after paying health surcharge for 3yrs advance oo and maybe NHS as well. Too much or too little smiley smiley

Nah this was entirely unnecessary. Even without BRP most GP’s would register you... as long as it’s ID. Something is wrong with those folk. Wouldave said leave it but they might do the same thing again so yeah escalate if possible... issue now remains if anything will be done about it sad
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 9:34pm On Jul 07, 2018
fatima04:

I think you just met a headstrong person....Just get your tenancy and you could have presented email bills, like your contract phone and or bank statements...I don't think its a big deal. If you now give them all this and they still refuse you, then you can ask to complain to the Practice manager. Don't go on google and write a scathing review, cos they might blacklist you and give you tough time!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 9:40pm On Jul 07, 2018
fatima04:

This is so wrong. And to think you paid IHS. Please take it up and don't just let it go. I suggest you go back and ask for official line of complaint and also send a mail to your MP explaining all that happened.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 10:41pm On Jul 07, 2018
fatima04:

The bolded is crazy!! Can’t believe that! So mean! This same UK? Kai! So bad! Please report them! These are the right wing people that think we are ruining their NHS! I’m so irritated!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:30am On Jul 08, 2018
fatima04:

The issue you experienced, is simply lack of training or been out of depth, from the people you encountered.

They have probably never heard of or seen a BRP before. The office manager would be fully versed in all matters BRP.

You can send a complaint afterwards, but it is not likely to end in financial compensation (simply because, you have not been out of pocket).

Just return on Monday, accept their apology and simply get registered.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:12am On Jul 08, 2018
DisGuy:
You can/should also make a complaint against the GP practise. Gp receptionist are one of the rude clog in NHS. Getting an appointment is rocket science. Make a full blown complaint and also avoid the place afterwards.
Thank you for the suggestion, how do I go about that?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:13am On Jul 08, 2018
Mamatukwas:

Nah this was entirely unnecessary. Even without BRP most GP’s would register you... as long as it’s ID. Something is wrong with those folk. Wouldave said leave it but they might do the same thing again so yeah escalate if possible... issue now remains if anything will be done about it sad

So I thought oo, that is why I even want to make either a review or complaint so that it doesn't happen again. Thanks sis
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:14am On Jul 08, 2018
DaveChapelle:

I think you just met a headstrong person....Just get your tenancy and you could have presented email bills, like your contract phone and or bank statements...I don't think its a big deal. If you now give them all this and they still refuse you, then you can ask to complain to the Practice manager. Don't go on google and write a scathing review, cos they might blacklist you and give you tough time!

Issokay oo, hopefully they will resolve it
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:15am On Jul 08, 2018
dustydee:

This is so wrong. And to think you paid IHS. Please take it up and don't just let it go. I suggest you go back and ask for official line of complaint and also send a mail to your MP explaining all that happened.

It's that one they pain me sef because I havent even used their services at all and money is wasting
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:19am On Jul 08, 2018
Lexusgs430:

The issue you experienced, is simply lack of training or been out of depth, from the people you encountered.

They have probably never heard of or seen a BRP before. The office manager would be fully versed in all matters BRP.

You can send a complaint afterwards, but it is not likely to end in financial compensation (simply because, you have not been out of pocket).

Just return on Monday, accept their apology and simply get registered.....

I agree @ the bolded, I am not even looking for any financial compensation, haven't been charged for anything but they were not even being considerate and remorseful. And also want them to learn that BRP IS the official record for staying in the country.

If verification was important, I believe they could have registered me then say, we will still need our practise manager to ascertain if this is enough not rejecting me more than 3ce without proffering a solution.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:42am On Jul 08, 2018
fatima04:

I agree @ the bolded, I am not even looking for any financial compensation, haven't been charged for anything but they were not even being considerate and remorseful. And also want them to learn that BRP IS the official record for staying in the country.

If verification was important, I believe they could have registered me then say, we will still need our practise manager to ascertain if this is enough not rejecting me more than 3ce without proffering a solution.

Once you see the practice manager, all would be resolved.......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 3:03pm On Jul 09, 2018
fatima04:

Thank you for the suggestion, how do I go about that?

You can email or write to your local CCG or ask for PALs in your area, they will speak to the Practice manager who will get in touch with the proper registration process...all in all avoid the Surgery as you will no doubt encounter the sloppy receptionist when trying to book an appointment or get repeat prescription
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:06pm On Jul 10, 2018
DisGuy post grin=69218893:

You can email or write to your local CCG or ask for PALs in your area, they will speak to the Practice manager who will get in touch with the proper registration process...all in all avoid the Surgery as you will no doubt encounter the sloppy receptionist when trying to book an appointment or get repeat prescription

Thank you. Will try this. Change begins with me grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5H4D3(f): 8:40pm On Jul 10, 2018
Thanks a lot bro. I get it. Really appreciate

Aphrodite007:

Hey.

You’re welcome to the UK, land of crazy possibilities for programmers. First of I’ll advice you X the masters. If you insist on doing the masters now, you will put a lot of pressure on hubby to pay tuition fees (at intl student rate). Also, trust me, you don’t need that masters in the UK, at least not now. You will be shocked at how 90% of your managers just have A levels (no first degree). You can get a job here even without a first degree as far as you’re skilled.

Secondly, you’re a programmer, you are hot cake. Look up different sites when you get here and apply. While applying, look up other languages you can learn to improve your employability. If programming takes too long, there are lotsa other jobs out there that you can do “humble beginnings” with, then after 6 months, you would gain the confidence you need.

Finally, whatever job you apply for, target the lower level, it’s a trick to getting into the company first (because when compared with lower level applicants, you May be the best). When you get in and work 6 months, if they don’t promote you, you can leave and find a better paying job. This shouldn’t stop you from accepting a high level job if offered.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by babarexo: 11:57am On Jul 11, 2018
Good Day House.I sincerely need your input.I want to apply for a masters in project management at middlesbrough.what is the possibility of getting a job after the two years programme.Kindly enlighten me if it is possible to work part time for 8months to pay up a balance of 7000Gbp tuition fees for the second year.Gurus please your advice is sincerely needed here so I dont make the mistake f my life.Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ralphlauren(m): 2:45pm On Jul 11, 2018
babarexo:
Good Day House.I sincerely need your input.I want to apply for a masters in project management [/b]at middlesbrough.what is the possibility of[b] getting a job [/b]after the two years programme.Kindly enlighten me if it is possible to work part time for 8months to pay up a [b]balance of 7000Gbp tuition fees for the second year.Gurus please your advice is sincerely needed here so I dont make the mistake f my life.Thanks

do not waste your time or money. wonlasewonimi please come and tell him. grin

a masters degree in project management will not get you anywhere in the UK.

what really counts is the prince 2 certification.

getting a company to sponsor you as a project manager trainee or whatever is going to be hard but not impossible.

raising £7K school fees from part time is going to be extremely difficult but not impossible.

look towards Australia or Canada for your MSc. Compared to the UK, It is much easier to obtain permanent residence in these two countries via the study route

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ralphlauren(m): 3:02pm On Jul 11, 2018
fatima04:

is this GP practice in Scotland by any chance? angry angry

one Scottish GP tried the same stunt with a family friend of mine.

in his own case, the GP practice had a separate form(which they had prepared/designed themselves) asking for immigrants (non-UK and EU residents) bring a letter from his employer or a letter from his accountant (if self employed) before he and his family can get registered at the GP practice.

this is after showing them passport, driver's licence and their BRP cards not forgetting the fact that the entire family had paid the NHS fee.

i was furious when he told me as i saw it as nothing but balant racism. since when did proof of employment become a requirement to access healthcare services in the UK? meanwhile, this my friend is on the upper tax bracket, resident in UK for 4years+, pays NI and doesn't claim any benefits.

we went together on the nhs website and we were able to get the email address for the local health board and I helped him in drafting a strongly worded complaint letter quoting several sections of the equality act and asking them to explain why LEGAL UK residents are being treated separately from the UK/EU citizens and also why they have been denied access to healthcare. he also attached a copy of the form he as given by the GP practice.

the complaint was taken so seriously by the health board and it was escalated to the nhs head for scotland. my friend got a letter of apology and by the time his wife went to register, they had stopped handing out the racist registration form and stopped their foolish requirement of asking for proof of employment for immigrants.

he is currently registered at that same practice and he tells me he and his family is treated very nicely whenever they have to go there to see a doctor.

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 7:00pm On Jul 11, 2018
Ralphlauren:

do not waste your time or money. wonlasewonimi please come and tell him. grin

a masters degree in project management will not get you anywhere in the UK.

what really counts is the prince 2 certification.

getting a company to sponsor you as a project manager trainee or whatever is going to be hard but not impossible.

raising £7K school fees from part time is going to be extremely difficult but not impossible.

look towards Australia or Canada for your MSc. Compared to the UK, It is much easier to obtain permanent residence in these two countries via the study route

Msc project management is a waste of money. You will still have to do PMP or prince2 to get noticed.

It will cost you less than 1k to acquire either certification if you self study and get better ROI.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 8:07am On Jul 12, 2018
Who else is tired of all this coins? They just de make my wallet heavy and noisy, in fact my wallet self don tire. You leave some at home, you come back with more. Fear no let me carry my ATM card de waka, I don hear stories about the alaye for here. I nearly vex dash them to all those oyibo beggars at the city center until I count them and convert to naira. How person go de Carry 5000 naira coins waka about?
In order news, person go hear word for office today, all those "it's coming home people" go gentle today.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:39am On Jul 12, 2018
sutelk:
Who else is tired of all this coins? They just de make my wallet heavy and noisy, in fact my wallet self don tire. You leave some at home, you come back with more. Fear no let me carry my ATM card de waka, I don hear stories about the alaye for here. I nearly vex dash them to all those oyibo beggars at the city center until I count them and convert to naira. How person go de Carry 5000 naira coins waka about?
In order news, person go hear word for office today, all those "it's coming home people" go gentle today.

Simply go cashless.... Use contactless payments through your smartphone (apple pay, Google pay or Samsung pay).....

Simply tap and away you go, you never need to carry those heavy coins again.......

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:53am On Jul 12, 2018
Ralphlauren:

is this GP practice in Scotland by any chance? angry angry

one Scottish GP tried the same stunt with a family friend of mine.

in his own case, the GP practice had a separate form(which they had prepared/designed themselves) asking for immigrants (non-UK and EU residents) bring a letter from his employer or a letter from his accountant (if self employed) before he and his family can get registered at the GP practice.

this is after showing them passport, driver's licence and their BRP cards not forgetting the fact that the entire family had paid the NHS fee.

i was furious when he told me as i saw it as nothing but balant racism. since when did proof of employment become a requirement to access healthcare services in the UK? meanwhile, this my friend is on the upper tax bracket, resident in UK for 4years+, pays NI and doesn't claim any benefits.

we went together on the nhs website and we were able to get the email address for the local health board and I helped him in drafting a strongly worded complaint letter quoting several sections of the equality act and asking them to explain why LEGAL UK residents are being treated separately from the UK/EU citizens and also why they have been denied access to healthcare. he also attached a copy of the form he as given by the GP practice.

the complaint was taken so seriously by the health board and it was escalated to the nhs head for scotland. my friend got a letter of apology and by the time his wife went to register, they had stopped handing out the racist registration form and stopped their foolish requirement of asking for proof of employment for immigrants.

he is currently registered at that same practice and he tells me he and his family is treated very nicely whenever they have to go there to see a doctor.

Its not in Scotland oo, England. At least dis experience has told me the complaint will be taken seriously.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:59am On Jul 12, 2018
babarexo:
Good Day House.I sincerely need your input.I want to apply for a masters in project management at middlesbrough.what is the possibility of getting a job after the two years programme.Kindly enlighten me if it is possible to work part time for 8months to pay up a balance of 7000Gbp tuition fees for the second year.Gurus please your advice is sincerely needed here so I dont make the mistake f my life.Thanks

You have made a good decision asking about it but it's left for you to listen which is key. The school is only interested in sapping all ur funds with the subtle deception of getting you a job, bla bla bla but the truth is, getting a job on student visa is almost near impossible and you have the looming time running out on your visa and fear of going back to Nigeria.

Seeing all dose advert of come to UK schools and deceiving Nigerians of there money (that a lot borrow for the POF) that can get them a better status in other countries always irks me.

Go to other threads and read on either student visa or Australia and Canada PR, that's your best chance
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 9:00am On Jul 12, 2018
sutelk:

Lol @ the bolded and enough of me forming interest in world cup or football

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 9:01am On Jul 12, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Simply go cashless.... Use contactless payments through your smartphone (apple pay, Google pay or Samsung pay).....

Simply tap and away you go, you never need to carry those heavy coins again.......

Bush girl Like me, always afraid of that contactless oo like fiam money has gone
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:05am On Jul 12, 2018
fatima04:

Bush girl Like me, always afraid of that contactless oo like fiam money has gone

LOL......... It saves carrying cash for purchases below £30.00.....

You would even forget the location of your Debit/Credit cards..
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 11:01am On Jul 12, 2018
sutelk:
get one of those jewelry pouches for your coins... That's what I use
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by babarexo: 11:17am On Jul 12, 2018
Paid your first year fees of 5500gbp for a master course in full, travel to the uk on student visa to work almost full time for two years in order to raise cash to stand a better chance to apply for a canadian or Australian student visa or migrate else where before your student Brp expires.What is the possibility of raising 10000gbp in 16months working almost full time since you are not concerned about the uk degree.Advise needed please.Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 11:40am On Jul 12, 2018
babarexo:
Paid your first year fees of 5500gbp for a master course in full, travel to the uk on student visa to work almost full time for two years in order to raise cash to stand a better chance to apply for a canadian or Australian student visa or migrate else where before your student Brp expires.What is the possibility of raising 10000gbp in 16months working almost full time since you are not concerned about the uk degree.Advise needed please.Thanks.

1. Work almost full time on a tier 4 visa?
You’ve never heard of the 20 hour per week limit have you?

2. You do all that illegality. You apply to Canadaor Australia, they refuse your application. Your UK BRP expires, you return back to Nigeria. Worst off than you started. Or, you remain in the UK illegally. Life becomes difficult. You begin to do drugs. You are caught. You go to prison.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by babarexo: 11:45am On Jul 12, 2018
Mean Break the rules to concentrate on work.how much can one earn.

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.