Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (495) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1307720 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Poch: 12:14am On Dec 24, 2020
I really want to give a response to this...
But I doubt I am in the right capacity to... I still be smallie for the matter...

However, one thing I know is, an excellent spirit never fails to shine anywhere.

Now don't mistake excellence (in this context) for intelligence, studious or hardwork...

I'm talking about positive attitude, character, will, focus, persistence and perseverance...

If your friend (or anyone who feels like taking such life decision) can reckon with those attributes...come add small book plus brain join... He'll survive eventually...e no get how...

...and no, this isn't me trying to be motivational bla bla...naaahhhh

I wish him well...even as he analyzes the 'professional' advices given by NLers thus far...

Fuhrerfran6:
Hi Guys,

Merry Christmas in Advance and hope you all are doing great!

A good friend of mine is about to use his entire savings ( well enough to cover the necessary financial obligations) to migrate to the U.K using the student visa route.

I would love to ask on his behalf, from experienced folks here if the move is really worth it.

What are his chances of further settling in the UK? From what I have read so far the UK is not so friendly via immigration.

He has a Bsc in architecture and have toiled to raise the funds. I'm just too concerned and wouldn't want him to make a mistake.

P.S: I know this is not the right thread for this question but wouldn't mind if a jolly fellow educates us.

Thank you!

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 12:55am On Dec 24, 2020
Has anyone heard of this? Or know if it's TRUE?

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Fuhrerfran6(m): 5:40am On Dec 24, 2020
Poch:
I really want to give a response to this...
But I doubt I am in the right capacity to... I still be smallie for the matter...

However, one thing I know is, an excellent spirit never fails to shine anywhere.

Now don't mistake excellence (in this context) for intelligence, studious or hardwork...

I'm talking about positive attitude, character, will, focus, persistence and perseverance...

If your friend (or anyone who feels like taking such life decision) can reckon with those attributes...come add small book plus brain join... He'll survive eventually...e no get how...

...and no, this isn't me trying to be motivational bla bla...naaahhhh

I wish him well...even as he analyzes the 'professional' advices given by NLers thus far...

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 7:40am On Dec 24, 2020
LagosismyHome:

I don’t think it’s true. I believe that service is for those who have registered for their NIN. It’s true though, that NIN and BVN have been linked, but you still have to register for both separately.

Modified: it may be true afterall. I’ve seen claims that those that registered for BVN at the very beginning had their NIN automatically created for them at the point of BVN registration. This may explain why the service works for those with BVN starting with 221.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Klevarlie: 10:43am On Dec 24, 2020
Good morning everyone. Please I am scheduled to fly to London early next year with Turkish airline. Please do I need a COVID test? I'll be having a layover at Instabul for about 14 hours.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chrisj2(m): 11:22am On Dec 24, 2020
Are you sure your flight is not cancelled? Turkey has temporarily banned flight from UK...
You need a covid test to get to Nigeria anyway if you are going to nja; so that will cover you lay-over.

Does anyone know any airline that still travels to Nigeria from the UK or anyone booked to travel to nja after the new year that the flight is not cancelled? Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 11:28am On Dec 24, 2020
chrisj2:
Are you sure your flight is not cancelled? Turkey has temporarily banned flight from UK...
You need a covid test to get to Nigeria anyway if you are going to nja; so that will cover you lay-over.

Does anyone know any airline that still travels to Nigeria from the UK or anyone booked to travel to nja after the new year that the flight is not cancelled? Thanks
BA and Virgin are going to and fro 9ja as we speak!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 11:29am On Dec 24, 2020
Klevarlie:
Good morning everyone. Please I am scheduled to fly to London early next year with Turkish airline. Please do I need a COVID test? I'll be having a layover at Instabul for about 14 hours.
Turkish Air is not flying to London. change to BA or Virgin well unless is way into nxt year
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 11:30am On Dec 24, 2020
icon8:

I don’t think it’s true. I believe that service is for those who have registered for their NIN. It’s true though, that NIN and BVN have been linked, but you still have to register for both separately.

Modified: it may be true afterall. I’ve seen claims that those that registered for BVN at the very beginning had their NIN automatically created for them at the point of BVN registration. This may explain why the service works for those with BVN starting with 221.
those of us who did BVN in the Uk nkoo angry angry angry
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 11:31am On Dec 24, 2020
TheLasyBuddha:
Good evening, all.

I intend to start applying for a social care work jobs in the UK from Nigeria, what are my chances of getting any? I have considerable skills in the field and I studied social work at a university here in Nigeria.

TIA.
have U gotten a Uk qualification in social care?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 11:53am On Dec 24, 2020
erico2k2:

those of us who did BVN in the Uk nkoo angry angry angry

Bros, I no know ooo grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mattfeuter(m): 12:30pm On Dec 24, 2020
Klevarlie:

Change your ticket.

Why would you even want to stay in transit for 14 hours? shocked

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chrisj2(m): 12:38pm On Dec 24, 2020
erico2k2:

BA and Virgin are going to and fro 9ja as we speak!

Thanks. Just flights from London and very expensive. Good to know! Appreciate the info
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chrisj2(m): 12:40pm On Dec 24, 2020
mattfeuter:

Change your ticket.

Cost! Simple as that... Change will cost him too - have pity. What is the rush - get there is all that matters

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 1:10pm On Dec 24, 2020
chrisj2:

Thanks. Just flights from London and very expensive. Good to know! Appreciate the info
yes but cos they are flying direct and not branching to countries that are not in the Uk safety corridors hence we got to take em
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 1:11pm On Dec 24, 2020
mattfeuter:

Change your ticket.

14 hours is a learner, some up to two days, you won't even feel it wen yu get put on a 5 star plus hotel as the case of Egypt air, I loved it 2013 lol

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 1:17pm On Dec 24, 2020
Very Important if you are going to take Turkish airline Listen well

When you do get to turkey that is when they resume flying, once you get off that playing, run to your terminal boarding gate for the UK bound flight, do not branch right or left or buy anything or even look at duty-free, this is for those not doing the 14 hours thing.its very easy to miss ur flight, this cost me £600 extra Jan this year when I took them.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 1:24pm On Dec 24, 2020
erico2k2:
Very Important if you are going to take Turkish airline Listen well

When you do get to turkey that is when they resume flying, once you get off that playing, run to your terminal boarding gate for the UK bound flight, do not branch right or left or buy anything or even look at duty-free, this is for those not doing the 14 hours thing.its very easy to miss ur flight, this cost me £600 extra Jan this year when I took them.

Instead adjust the time(wrist-watch,phone time)...that's what I did in October.

Adjust the time to istanbul or turkey
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 1:26pm On Dec 24, 2020
Aprokodaughter:

Instead adjust the time(wrist-watch,phone time)...that's what I did in October.
not when ur transit time is like 30 mins and it would take you almost 30 mins to walk from one end to the other!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 1:30pm On Dec 24, 2020
erico2k2:

not when ur transit time is like 30 mins and it would take you almost 30 mins to walk from one end to the other!

It's still better to adjust your time whether 30 mins or 14hours. It's good to work with time.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Klevarlie: 1:34pm On Dec 24, 2020
They moved my flight ni o and I'm not okay with the other option they gave as I should be in quarantine already by then
mattfeuter:

Change your ticket.

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by missjekyll: 1:40pm On Dec 24, 2020
once I leave the plane,I go straight to my other gate. That's where I look at duty free,have food or get on my phone. Not enough to know which gate, I have to physically be there.

Never missed a flight.

Merry Christmas Everyone�. No sign of snow here in the South West as usual
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mattfeuter(m): 1:40pm On Dec 24, 2020
chrisj2:

Cost! Simple as that... Change will cost him too - have pity. What is the rush - get there is all that matters

It’s not about the “rush”.

It boils to preference I guess. Personally, I wouldn’t book a flight that has a layover of 14 hours.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mattfeuter(m): 1:42pm On Dec 24, 2020
erico2k2:

14 hours is a learner, some up to two days, you won't even feel it wen yu get put on a 5 star plus hotel as the case of Egypt air, I loved it 2013 lol

Hen hen, now You’re talking grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 3:31pm On Dec 24, 2020
It’s true. If you also have the GTB mobile banking. Just log in and you’ll see your NIN smiling at you.

LagosismyHome:
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Poch: 4:25pm On Dec 24, 2020
Who snow epp?
Abeg make that thing dey one side.
South east haven't had lots of snow...hope it stays so till this winter season is over.
Meanwhile I heard everywhere white in the north...

Why north things always dey different sef (all over the world)...

missjekyll:
once I leave the plane,I go straight to my other gate. That's where I look at duty free,have food or get on my phone. Not enough to know which gate, I have to physically be there.

Never missed a flight.

Merry Christmas Everyone�. No sign of snow here in the South West as usual
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Klevarlie: 4:27pm On Dec 24, 2020
Turkish airline just sent me a message that my flight has been canceled. I booked through a third party who told me to call them back nextweek. What do you suggest I do. There's no money to book another flight oooo��
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chukwuka16: 4:54pm On Dec 24, 2020
Congratulations All

The UK and the EU have a deal!

While we await the implications of the fine prints, we can also be glad that alot of opportunities will be created in the coming days.

Cheers to better days.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chrisj2(m): 4:54pm On Dec 24, 2020
I feel for you... Since they banned flights from the UK, it transpires that all connecting flights from UK visas a Turkey will be banned. Pity, Sorry!

This is why I am leaving it to last minute to book flight to nja because the situation is so fluid and to get money back from these airlines is tough. As for agency, that is even tougher - I vowed not to use travel agencies again. My money for flight back through Emirates since dey the hand of one of these agencies. With covid test and all sorts of restrictions, it is so hard to even get to use their voucher scheme...

Na wa o!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 5:05pm On Dec 24, 2020
chrisj2:
I feel for you... Since they banned flights from the UK, it transpires that all connecting flights from UK visas a Turkey will be banned. Pity, Sorry!

This is why I am leaving it to last minute to book flight to nja because the situation is so fluid and to get money back from these airlines is tough. As for agency, that is even tougher - I vowed not to use travel agencies again. My money for flight back through Emirates since dey the hand of one of these agencies. With covid test and all sorts of restrictions, it is so hard to even get to use their voucher scheme...

Na wa o!
Nah, no way getting ur money back from Airline is easy, wen this all started I got my money back within a week from Ethiopia airlines and they could not fly to PHC, now you can book BA or Virgin, they are still flying to 9ja ABJ and Lag respectively!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 5:06pm On Dec 24, 2020
mattfeuter:

It’s not about the “rush”.

It boils to preference I guess. Personally, I wouldn’t book a flight that has a layover of 14 hours.
If from London then its BA or Virgin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by iCode2: 6:21pm On Dec 24, 2020
Mimzyy:
It’s true. If you also have the GTB mobile banking. Just log in and you’ll see your NIN smiling at you.

I use Gtb mobile banking but my NIN is not smiling at me when I log in.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.