Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,065 members, 7,818,181 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (497) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1307857 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 10:59pm On Dec 25, 2020
umarwy:

We can always assign some people for you from the international division of the VPA(village people association)

Chai! I’ve suffered grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 11:00pm On Dec 25, 2020
brine:

Merry Christmas cheesy Need to ship some items to Lagos. Are you the right person to contact? Thanks

Yes I am oh! The very G. Kindly send me a PM and I’ll sort you out. Work starts on Monday.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by brine(m): 12:00am On Dec 26, 2020
Mamatukwas:

Yes I am oh! The very G. Kindly send me a PM and I’ll sort you out. Work starts on Monday.

Sent you a PM.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Dreambeat: 1:13am On Dec 26, 2020
humblemoi:

Thank you for this. I just logged on and found out i have been assigned the NIN.
NIN is meant to be 11 digits but the one on GTB app is 9 digits. Correct me if I am wrong.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 8:22am On Dec 26, 2020
Dreambeat:
NIN is meant to be 11 digits but the one on GTB app is 9 digits. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are certainly right about the bolded.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 8:46am On Dec 26, 2020
Mine is 11 digits on the Gtb app. Na wah for this our govt. Why can’t everything just be uniformed

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Kingp91: 12:19pm On Dec 26, 2020
Please can yiu shed more light on this. I mean the benefitsfor you guys there and us way just come or still dey road
Chukwuka16:
Congratulations All

The UK and the EU have a deal!

While we await the implications of the fine prints, we can also be glad that alot of opportunities will be created in the coming days.

Cheers to better days.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 12:31pm On Dec 26, 2020
Kingp91:
Please can yiu shed more light on this. I mean the benefitsfor you guys there and us way just come or still dey road

There are no real benefits for the UK's leaving the EU, because generally the UK gave up the benefits of a huge free trade area for less than it already had. It was an emotional move, not an economic one.
As for any disadvantages, if you have no business with the Continent and as you have just arrived, you will not notice anything, there will possibly be some price rises here and there to absorb the consequences of all those border checks, most disadvantages will take time to show, but there are no advantages whatsoever.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AltCtrlDel: 12:41pm On Dec 26, 2020
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 12:55pm On Dec 26, 2020
TheGuyFromHR:

There are no real benefits for the UK's leaving the EU, because generally the UK gave up the benefits of a huge free trade area for less than it already had. It was an emotional move, not an economic one.
As for any disadvantages, if you have no business with the Continent and as you have just arrived, you will not notice anything, there will possibly be some price rises here and there to absorb the consequences of all those border checks, most disadvantages will take time to show, but there are no advantages whatsoever.

If, as expected, EU citizens continue to leave the UK for other EU countries, as a fallout of Brexit, then it is logical to expect more UK job opportunities, according to the forces of demand and supply.

Another advantage for non-EU citizens in the UK, who until now have been treated unequally as EU citizens (due to EU laws) is that every non-UK citizen will now be equal (at least on paper). Whereas prior to now it was UK/EU citizens ahead of all others, now it will be only UK citizens before all others (i.e. Nigerians and EU citizens will now be seen as equal under UK laws, unlike before).

Already, the 2-year post-study work visa is a huge advantage of Brexit, for the millions of non-EU students that will benefit from it. Ditto for the new tiered immigration system that’s about to commence in January 2021.

Those could be considered advantages, from a non-EU immigrant point of view, as it is expected that there will now be a level playing ground for all immigrants, regardless of nationality, and EU citizens will no longer be legally prioritised over other non-EU nationals. Effectively, Nigerians would now be second class residents (only below UK nationals), rather than third class residents (below both UK and EU nationals). grin

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mattfeuter(m): 1:04pm On Dec 26, 2020
icon8:

If, as expected, EU citizens continue to leave the UK for other EU countries, due to Brexit, then it is logical to expect more UK job opportunities, according to the forces of demand and supply.

Another advantage for non-EU citizens in the UK, who until now have been treated unequally as EU citizens (due to EU laws) is that every non-UK citizen will now be equal (at least on paper). Whereas prior to now it was UK/EU citizens ahead of all others, now it will be only UK citizens before all others (i.e. Nigerians and EU citizens will now be seen as equal under UK laws, unlike before).

Already, the 2-year post-study work visa is a huge advantage of Brexit, for the millions of non-EU students that will benefit from it. Ditto for the new tiered immigration system that’s about to commence in January 2021.

Those could be considered advantages, from a non-EU immigrant point of view, as it is expected that there will now be a level playing ground for all immigrants, regardless of nationality, and EU citizens will no longer be legally prioritised over other non-EU nationals. Effectively, Nigerians would now be second class residents (only below UK nationals), rather than third class residents (below both UK and EU nationals). grin

Facts
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 4:26pm On Dec 26, 2020
icon8:

If, as expected, EU citizens continue to leave the UK for other EU countries, as a fallout of Brexit, then it is logical to expect more UK job opportunities, according to the forces of demand and supply.

Lol, alas, that will never happen.
Skin colour will always continue to matter, make no mistake about that.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 5:05pm On Dec 26, 2020
TheGuyFromHR:

Lol, alas, that will never happen.
Skin colour will always continue to matter, make no mistake about that.
Only that from January 1, 2021, that would be a crime - unlike now - with appropriate claims for damages, for good measure!

Pray tell, how would the skin colour of EU citizens entitle them to pay Home/EU fee in UK universities? Or lawfully grant them access to public funds (in some instances)? Or bestow upon them the right to live and work in the UK without a residence or work permit? All of which they have today - and give them an edge over their non-EU counterparts- but will stop from 01/01/21.

Ah, I didn’t think so either! Unless, being an HR practitioner, perhaps you know something the rest of us don’t, like you’ve been trained to pay particular attention to skin colour of candidates during recruitment, and you should prioritise a certain colour over others, no matter their competence and qualifications?

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 5:34pm On Dec 26, 2020
icon8:

Only that from January 1, 2021, that would be a crime - unlike now - with appropriate claims for damages, for good measure!

Pray tell, how would the skin colour of EU citizens entitle them to pay Home/EU fee in UK universities? Or lawfully grant them access to public funds (in some instances)? Or bestow upon them the right to live and work in the UK without a residence or work permit? All of which they have today - and give them an edge over their non-EU counterparts- but will stop from 01/01/21.

Ah, I didn’t think so either! Unless, being an HR practitioner, perhaps you know something the rest of us don’t, like you’ve been trained to pay particular attention to skin colour of candidates during recruitment, and you should prioritise a certain colour over others, no matter their competence and qualifications?

E don dey happen... I guess they too will start paying IHS now (or what’s that surcharge my brothers and sisters used to complain about on here in the past)? Or has that been cancelled for everyone now?

My point is, everyone is about to be treated equally, at least on paper. No more EU privileges over my dear countrymen/women.

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 5:49pm On Dec 26, 2020
AltCtrlDel:
I don't know if this is the right thread to do this but I'm typing this with teary eyes. My cousin's husband absconded to the UK with thier 3kids leaving her in Nigeria. They've been having some marital issues in their 11years marriage.

Pls what can she do? Is there any authority in the UK she contact? Can she report to the UK Embassy in Nigeria? Pls help she's almost running mad

How long was this?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 5:53pm On Dec 26, 2020
I’ve literally been begging everyone I know in Nigeria (skilled professionals, of course!) to make relocating to the UK their priority in 2021. It’s high time they gave cold and snowy Canada a break and give UK a chance. Opportunities here would be massive in 2021, from PSWV to HSMP.

I predict a massive brain drain and mass exodus of EU professionals, which would lead to opportunities for suitably qualified non-EU citizens, including high flying Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 5:57pm On Dec 26, 2020
icon8:
I’ve literally been begging everyone I know in Nigeria (skilled professionals, of course!) to make relocating to the UK their priority in 2021. It’s high time they gave cold and snowy Canada a break and give UK a chance. Opportunities here would be massive in 2021, from PSWV to HSMP.

Well before PSW was taken away , UK too was not easy ooo. To get a job that makes you stay after PSW. Many people were forced to go home

So UK is not a magic wand either

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 6:04pm On Dec 26, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Well before PSW was taken away , UK too was not easy ooo. To get a job that makes you stay after PSW. Many people were forced to go home

So UK is not a magic wand either

They were not competing on a level playing ground then, as EU citizens were prioritised alongside UK citizens. Not anymore!

Besides, 3 years should be enough to plan and execute, all things being equal. It’s certainly better today (2021) than those pre-Theresa May’s days as Home Secretary!

There’s no magic wand anywhere, and those challenges abound everywhere for immigrants. It’s not easy in Canada either, but folks are surviving there. Why not here? It’s not as cold or as far from home as Canada. That’s my point.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 6:10pm On Dec 26, 2020
icon8:

I predict a massive brain drain and mass exodus of EU professionals, which would lead to opportunities for suitably qualified non-EU citizens, including high flying Nigerians.

@ the bolded: Bad advice.

@ the italicised: This is not going to happen.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 6:10pm On Dec 26, 2020
icon8:

If you believed that then you will believe anything. EU citizens are getting permanent/citizenship already. Many have settled here already and will not be in a hurry to leave after Jan.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 6:12pm On Dec 26, 2020
TheGuyFromHR:

At the bolded: Bad advice.

At the italicised: This is not going to happen.

Time will tell. You are free to advise your circle of influence as you so wish. I keep advising mine as I see fit.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 6:13pm On Dec 26, 2020
icon8:

Time will tell. You are free to advise your circle of influence as you do wish. I keep advising mine as I see fit.

Of course.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 6:18pm On Dec 26, 2020
justwise:

If you believed that then you will believe anything. EU citizens are getting permanent/citizenship already. Many have settled here already and will not be in a hurry to leave after Jan.

In life, and from time immemorial, there have been the Pharisees as well as the Sadducees. I don’t expect everyone to see life from the same lens.

Each to their own. I’ve stated what I believe will happen, you don’t have to share my opinion. Only time would tell.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AltCtrlDel: 6:19pm On Dec 26, 2020
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 6:22pm On Dec 26, 2020
AltCtrlDel:

Thanks. Since November 13,2020

Did she give a written consent to him to travel with the kids without her?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AltCtrlDel: 6:27pm On Dec 26, 2020
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by starboychan: 6:45pm On Dec 26, 2020
Wait for the trade deal details first before you jump to conclusions.

Brexit will have both negative and positive impact on the economy.

TheGuyFromHR:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chukwuka16: 6:53pm On Dec 26, 2020
Kingp91:

Oh for me it's purely business. Now the UK can set up free trade zones across the UK which I'm eagerly awaiting and building capital for. I'm going to be hitting my DIT and FCDO contacts and hiring a consultant in the new year to advise me on the best step.

The beauty of the break up is that the UK will need to build its market outside of the US, EU and China. This market is found in Africa and South America (and few across South East Asia) which in the next decade will emerge as the dominant markets (China is predicted to supercede The US economy by 2038).

To encourage export, the whole export is great campaign will be ramped up and foreign aid will be used as a carrot mainly for trade purposes. As an entrepreneur this is great for me as I can explore potential free trade agreements between both regions and potential tax incentives for both exporting and importing.

Also, the FTZ can offer me the opportunity to ship products from FTZ in Nigeria and rebrand here in the UK FTZ as UK products (after some considerable input) and re-export. This will help me beat existing bans on certain exports from Nigeria and avoid taxes.

Opportunities like this last presented themselves after the breakdown of the soviet regime.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 8:59pm On Dec 26, 2020
AltCtrlDel:

No she didn't. Nothing like that. But I read somewhere consent is not needed for a husband traveling to the UK with children but it is mandatory for women.

Please where did you read that from because i'm not aware of that
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:03pm On Dec 26, 2020
TheGuyFromHR:

I think there is though i voted to remain but leaving the EU will gave the UK the opportunity to trade freely with countries outside the EU and still maintain some deals with the EU.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by JustCare: 9:27pm On Dec 26, 2020
Hello guys, is there any freemasonry lodge in Glasgow?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AltCtrlDel: 9:37pm On Dec 26, 2020
justwise:
[/b]

Please where did you read that from because i'm not aware of that

Pls what would you advise or what step can she take? I've gotten her to put up the story on Nairaland and Twitter. The topic is currently on the front page but no meaningful submission.

She has informed the police too but they are demanding for money before they will act

(1) (2) (3) ... (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.