Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,681 members, 7,827,519 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (498) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1313640 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chinlov: 10:01pm On Dec 26, 2020
[The little I know, no one parent can travel to the UK without the other's consent. Which is usually a sworn affidavit unless the other parent is dead or the one with the kids have sole custody after a divorce. She should get a lawyer and write to the British High commissioner. She can even do it by herself but she needs to articulate her points well. With evidence of marriage and birth of her children. If she is sure she has not mistakenly signed consent to him o. My 2p
quote author=AltCtrlDel post=97455018]

Pls what would you advise or what step can she take? I've gotten her to put up the story on Nairaland and Twitter. The topic is currently on the front page but no meaningful submission.

She has informed the police too but they are demanding for money before they will act[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Samgalaxy: 10:03pm On Dec 26, 2020
Please for someone with a medical condition needing to see a nurse as soon as he arrives Uk, what are the procedures of accessing Uk health care especially during isolation period?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:06pm On Dec 26, 2020
AltCtrlDel:

Pls what would you advise or what step can she take? I've gotten her to put up the story on Nairaland and Twitter. The topic is currently on the front page but no meaningful submission.

She has informed the police too but they are demanding for money before they will act

I asked about consent letter because the UK embassy takes child welfare seriously and i'm expecting such letter to be added to their visa application.

If he forged one then its a serious immigration offence.

She needs report to the embassy with his full name and that of the children.

Does the husband have family in the UK?

What type of visa did he apply for?

I'm struggling to be believe that the man travelled with those kids without any sort of written authorization from the mother and was not questioned at the POE

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chinlov: 10:07pm On Dec 26, 2020
On second thoughts, I'm thinking maybe the husband played by the books and processed visa for the whole family but withheld hers and left with it. However she can still petition the High commissioner. An immigration lawyer will advise better. I feel her pain

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 10:09pm On Dec 26, 2020
Samgalaxy:
Please for someone with a medical condition needing to see a nurse as soon as he arrives Uk, what are the procedures of accessing Uk health care especially during isolation period?

Have you spoken to your school about your medical condition. Maybe they can help you and tell the procedures to see a doctor.

Or the school can arrange a doctor to visit you. But you should inform the school on your arrival and where you are isolating. So they can provide all the assistance you need.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 10:14pm On Dec 26, 2020
Chinlov:
On second thoughts, I'm thinking maybe the husband played by the books and processed visa for the whole family but withheld hers and left with it. However she can still petition the High commissioner. An immigration lawyer will advise better. I feel her pain

I thought this, because it’s hard to leave the country with kids, without consent from the second parent. And if he left without her consent, it’s in her favour as he may get banned for lying.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 10:18pm On Dec 26, 2020
Samgalaxy:

Tell your uni to send you the letter you need to register at your GP and to recommend the closest to your house (or google it yourself). When registering at the GP, mention you need immediate help. If they delay by 24hours to get back to you and your health is in bad condition, dial 999 and enjoy your ambulance ride.

If it’s not serious enough to dial, just be patient; the gp will get back to you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Adurami040517: 10:19pm On Dec 26, 2020
I understand the pain of this woman, but she needs to thread with caution so as not to jeopardize the advantages this kids will have over there compared to what is obtainable here, it won't be nice for this kids to get banned from entering the UK based on if their dad lied about the consent letter.
Aphrodite007:

I thought this, because it’s hard to leave the country with kids, without consent from the second parent. And if he left without her consent, it’s in her favour as he may get banned for lying.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Samgalaxy: 10:19pm On Dec 26, 2020
I haven't informed the school yet. I will do that before leaving Nigeria. Please does the NHS cover things like wound dressings?

Aprokodaughter:

Have you spoken to your school about your medical condition. Maybe they can help you and tell the procedures to see a doctor.

Or the school can arrange a doctor to visit you. But you should inform the school on your arrival and where you are isolating. So they can provide all the assistance you need.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AltCtrlDel: 10:21pm On Dec 26, 2020
justwise:

I asked about consent letter because the UK embassy takes child welfare seriously and i'm expecting such letter to be added to their visa application.

If he forged one then its a serious immigration offence.

She needs report to the embassy with his full name and that of the children.

Does the husband have family in the UK?

What type of visa did he apply for?

I'm struggling to be believe that the man travelled with those kids without any sort of written authorization from the mother and was not questioned at the POE

She didn't give any consent - written or verbal

I wouldn't know the type of visa he applied for but I know he's not a citizen

He has relatives in the UK
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:23pm On Dec 26, 2020
Adurami040517:
I understand the pain of this woman, but she needs to thread with caution so as not to jeopardize the advantages this kids will have over there compared to what is obtainable here, it won't be nice for this kids to get banned from entering the UK based on if their dad lied about the consent letter.

The kids will not be banned, the dad will and possibly for a very long time
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:25pm On Dec 26, 2020
JustCare:
Hello guys, is there any freemasonry lodge in Glasgow?

Do people care about such in the UK or about any fraternity ..... I doubt that . They are busy living their lives effectively without such

However only their members or google can show you this

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 10:26pm On Dec 26, 2020
Samgalaxy:
I haven't informed the school yet. I will do that before leaving Nigeria. Please does the NHS cover things like wound dressings?

I think NHS covers wound dressings. I don't know much someone will explain this to you on the thread.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:27pm On Dec 26, 2020
AltCtrlDel:

I guess that is where those kids are and he will leave them there and return to Nigeria.

She needs to contact the embassy as soon as possible and give them as much info as she can. She can also take this to twitter and tag the embassy and other children welfare charities

Child issue is taken seriously by the UK govt
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:28pm On Dec 26, 2020
AltCtrlDel:

How does she know they are really in UK and not even in Nigeria. It is quite easy to hide even in Nigeria even within the same city .That UK story might just be a distraction to hide their true location
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AltCtrlDel: 10:33pm On Dec 26, 2020
justwise:

I guess that is where those kids are and he will leave them there and return to Nigeria.

She needs to contact the embassy as soon as possible and give them as much info as she can. She can also take this to twitter and tag the embassy and other children welfare charities

Child issue is taken seriously by the UK govt

Ok thanks for the heads-up boss. I'm sure she's reading this
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AltCtrlDel: 10:35pm On Dec 26, 2020
LagosismyHome:

How does she know they are really in UK and not even in Nigeria. It is quite easy to hide even in Nigeria even within the same city .That UK story might just be a distraction to hide their true location

That's what one of the husband's family members told her
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 10:36pm On Dec 26, 2020
AltCtrlDel:

She has informed the police too but they are demanding for money before they will act

In her shoes I would contact the high commission and let them know.
Maybe also try NAPTIP.
And I'm surprised the high commission gave them visas without a consent letter from her, and that the airline too allowed one parent to travel alone with 3 children on visitor's visas (red flags) without making further enquiries. He must have forged those apparently.

I have a cousin who is a nurse here. Her husband and children were living in Nigeria. The man died a few years back and she came back for the funeral, then her children came to live with my mother. When she came to collect them a year later, I took them all to the airport and the BA people insisted on seeing evidence that she had the right to travel to the UK with the children alone. She showed his death certificate and all that, but the airline staff asked to interview the children separately ("Where's your daddy?", etc.) and she was only allowed to go when they confirmed the narrative. Later on, the BA lady told me that they really allowed them to go because they were on settlement visas.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 10:41pm On Dec 26, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Do people care about such in the UK or about any fraternity ..... I doubt that . They are busy living their lives effectively without such

However only their members or google can show you this
They do. Mason's are alive and kicking in the UK.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:53pm On Dec 26, 2020
dustydee:

They do. Mason's are alive and kicking in the UK.

In minority ... do u see anything of such out and about or even in conversation.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 11:16pm On Dec 26, 2020
LagosismyHome:

In minority ... do u see anything of such out and about or even in conversation.
I believe they are in the minority almost everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 12:27am On Dec 27, 2020
Yes, it does. It covers all your medical treatments and consultations except for prescriptions (except family planning meds), dental and eye checks.
Samgalaxy:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 12:32am On Dec 27, 2020
Samgalaxy:

Go to any A&E...... accident and emergency. It's a department within the hospital and you will be attended to . So find the closest to your destination
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 12:33am On Dec 27, 2020
You will have to call or fill a pre-appointment form depending on what your condition is. The online form will ask you about your general health and any Covid-19 like symptom after which you'll be contacted by the appropriate health professional.
Except it is an emergency, you shouldn't go to a GP or hospital without an appointment especially when you're supposed to be isolating.
For emergencies, go to A&E but if you have any covid-like symptoms and you're able to call ahead, pls inform them of this.
As per GP registration concerns, you can pre-register online with a GP in your postcode while in isolation but for the full registration after isolation, you'll need your passport/BRP to prove your ID and a proof of address (you can use your tenancy agreement for this if you have one or get a letter from your school to confirm this).
Samgalaxy:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 12:48am On Dec 27, 2020
mimilyrics:
You will have to call or fill a pre-appointment form depending on what your condition is. The online form will ask you about your general health and any Covid-19 like symptom after which you'll be contacted by the appropriate health professional.
Except it is an emergency, you shouldn't go to a GP or hospital (A&E) without an appointment especially when you're supposed to be isolating.

You need appointment for A&E??.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 12:53am On Dec 27, 2020
No, that was a typo, the A&E in brackets was supposed to go elsewhere.
Clarification: Appointments are for GP and general hospital visits/health checks which is why I said except it's an emergency because it's not needed for A&E which are for emergencies. The distinction was for the OP not to confuse a general hospital visit with a trip to A&E.
For those not in emergency situations but with pre-existing conditions like the OP, there's a provision for them to get hospital/GP appointments/referrals and help on e-consult.
LagosismyHome:

You need appointment for A&E??.....

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 1:45am On Dec 27, 2020
I applied for a job for which I was qualified. II was told I can only get hired if someone from the UK (4-in-1-Country), or from the EU (27 + x) is not interested in the job. It means no matter how good I am, the fact that I am from Nigeria means I can't get it unless the advertiser proves that no EU or UK citizen needed it.

The reason I voted LEAVE in 2016.
The reason I would have voted LEAVE (had Corbyn et al had their way for a 2nd referendum).

Brexit = Level Playing ground.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 2:21am On Dec 27, 2020
mimilyrics:
No, that was a typo, the A&E in brackets was supposed to go elsewhere.
Clarification: Appointments are for GP and general hospital visits/health checks which is why I said except it's an emergency because it's not needed for A&E which are for emergencies. The distinction was for the OP not to confuse a general hospital visit with a trip to A&E.
For those not in emergency situations but with pre-existing conditions like the OP, there's a provision for them to get hospital/GP appointments/referrals and help on e-consult.

Cool...... although it might be preexisting, immediately you come to this country you won't have a gp as that takes time. The Gp might even ask to see your BRP which shows your actual status

So for a quicker turn around Samgalaxy I think just go to A&E. ..... you will be sorted faster

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 2:25am On Dec 27, 2020
AltCtrlDel:

That's what one of the husband's family members told her

That really can be heresay and not true..... maybe she should get a lawyer to write to British high commission lagos. They would have record if visas were issued, whether they would share that information is another matter

There this Nigerian couple in UK I know , wife went to give birth in America and decided the man was a horrible husband (although he really was angry) but no evidence and refused to come back. The guy contacted Us embassy, got lawyers involved and the case it was decided she kidnapped the kids and the kids were returned to the man ... she didnt return to the UK but the two kids were sent back to the man ... maybe your friend can read this and get some direction on what to do

https://joelbrandes..com/2012/06/uzoh-v-uzoh-2012-wl-1565345-ndill.html?m=1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TRAY2(m): 3:32am On Dec 27, 2020
icon8:

If, as expected, EU citizens continue to leave the UK for other EU countries, as a fallout of Brexit, then it is logical to expect more UK job opportunities, according to the forces of demand and supply.

Another advantage for non-EU citizens in the UK, who until now have been treated unequally as EU citizens (due to EU laws) is that every non-UK citizen will now be equal (at least on paper). Whereas prior to now it was UK/EU citizens ahead of all others, now it will be only UK citizens before all others (i.e. Nigerians and EU citizens will now be seen as equal under UK laws, unlike before).

Already, the 2-year post-study work visa is a huge advantage of Brexit, for the millions of non-EU students that will benefit from it. Ditto for the new tiered immigration system that’s about to commence in January 2021.

Those could be considered advantages, from a non-EU immigrant point of view, as it is expected that there will now be a level playing ground for all immigrants, regardless of nationality, and EU citizens will no longer be legally prioritised over other non-EU nationals. Effectively, Nigerians would now be second class residents (only below UK nationals), rather than third class residents (below both UK and EU nationals). grin

Exactly my thoughts mate..
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:04am On Dec 27, 2020
Samgalaxy:

When time reach now, we go hear say IHS fee is a terrible rip off........

Pesin never enta plane, hin don dey plan to benefit handsomely from hin chicken change...........

Don't worry, las Las, district nurses gat your back........ wink

NB : I hope you are medically aware of this pre existing condition + treatments so far received?......

You got your medical records?.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by lastclaire4(f): 8:40am On Dec 27, 2020
Mimzyy:
Oh really? Means I’ve been extremely lucky then. Been buying from there for years and never had any issue. I don’t buy human hair there sha. There’s this wholesale vendor on ig that sells good quality hair. The company is in China and PayPal is accepted.

Mimzy when last did you buy from the chinense lady. I sent her message on the 19th of Dec, but up till now she is yet to respond on WhatsApp.

Please help a sister.

(1) (2) (3) ... (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.