Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,247 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (600) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1302503 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (597) (598) (599) (600) (601) (602) (603) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 12:26am On Apr 19, 2021
d33types:
Hello everyone. Anyone used their valid Nigerian Drivers license here?
Do I need further assesment by DVLA or I can just grab a car and enter road?

Grab a car.
Pay insurance.
Pay road tax.
Enter road.

Good luck with the roundabouts.
Goodluck with knowing what double yellow lines mean.
Goodluck with differentiating white solid lines from white hatched lines.
Goodluck with driving and not pressing horn.

Hopefully, drive with two hands.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:13am On Apr 19, 2021
d33types:
Hello everyone. Anyone used their valid Nigerian Drivers license here?
Do I need further assesment by DVLA or I can just grab a car and enter road?

A localised Nigerian DL is not valid, you need to have upgraded it to an International license.....

This international license, is only valid for ONE year (from the entry date, stamped on your passport)......

Without the aforementioned, don't just grab a car (leave the car jejely, buy a bus pass or a bicycle)....... grin

Let's assume you already have the above, you MUST have a vehicle insurance + road fund licence aka road tax....

Without all of the above, buy beta boot to slap the highways........ cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 9:48am On Apr 19, 2021
Whereas I would have loved to jump into the discussion about Men selling ass, I have bigger ponmo to cook.

To my people here with a lot of experience,
Please this new 5% for mortgage that the current UK govt is kicking off today.
Is it an aye or a nay?

Opinions and advice needed, please.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 10:21am On Apr 19, 2021
RalphJean:
Whereas I would have loved to jump into the discussion about Men selling ass, I have bigger ponmo to cook.

Is it an aye or a nay?

Always an aye . It's not even tied to new builds

Why would you not?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 10:30am On Apr 19, 2021
RalphJean:

Is it an aye or a nay?

It’s an aye for me and if you can’t keep away from leasehold make sure to look at the construction type. No cladding.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:59am On Apr 19, 2021
RalphJean:

Is it an aye or a nay?

Its a good thing to get on the ladder but downside , it will continue to keep the house prices overinflated. Sellers and developers will take advantage and increase the prices

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 12:00pm On Apr 19, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Its a good thing to get on the ladder but downside , it will continue to keep the house prices overinflated. Sellers and developers will take advantage and increase the prices

I don't see how sellers can take advantage of this as they are not privy to your agreement with your lender.

Even if they were, I still don't what is there to take advantage of.

The only benefit to the buyer is that lenders will be more willing to assume the risk of lending 95% LTV because on a repossession the Government will shoulder some of the cost of the lender is unable to recoup their investment.

The borrower is not being given anything by the government
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Adapapaokoye: 12:48pm On Apr 19, 2021
Goodafternoon House
Please when paying for Nigerian passport online, must i use POS?
Trying to sort it out in a cafe but they don't have a POS
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 1:04pm On Apr 19, 2021
nihilistjnr:

I don't see how sellers can take advantage of this as they are not privy to your agreement with your lender.

Even if they were, I still don't what is there to take advantage of.

The only benefit to the buyer is that lenders will be more willing to assume the risk of lending 95% LTV because on a repossession the Government will shoulder some of the cost of the lender is unable to recoup their investment.

The borrower is not being given anything by the government

Your agreement to your lender....lol. isnt that driven by the house price on the market.

And who triggers that, the seller and the state of the market. The same way the help to buy has helped keep inflating the market is the same way this is going to do. All due to the law of supply and demand. 5% means potentially more people can have a deposit than 10% , which helps sellers and developers

If it was 10% or more leading to less buyers, less people with jobs or high stamp duty then you see how the "over inflated " house prices will start coming down like a pack of cards
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 1:19pm On Apr 19, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Your agreement to your lender....lol. isnt that driven by the house price on the market.

And who triggers that, the seller and the state of the market. The same way the help to buy has helped keep inflating the market is the same way this is going to do. All due to the law of supply and demand. 5% means potentially more people can have a deposit than 10% , which helps sellers and developers

If it was 10% or more leading to less buyers, less people with jobs or high stamp duty then you see how the "over inflated " house prices will start coming down like a pack of cards

I'm sorry I'm still not seeing the correlation. Developers are not even in the picture as Lenders are not offering these mortgages on new builds

Have you sold a property before? If you have, did you price your property based on the number of people with access to a 10% deposit?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Adapapaokoye: 1:38pm On Apr 19, 2021
[Please can someone help me with this

quote author=Adapapaokoye post=100928446]Goodafternoon House
Please when paying for Nigerian passport online, must i use POS?
Trying to sort it out in a cafe but they don't have a POS
Thanks[/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 2:34pm On Apr 19, 2021
nihilistjnr:

I'm sorry I'm still not seeing the correlation. Developers are not even in the picture as Lenders are not offering these mortgages on new builds

Have you sold a property before? If you have, did you price your property based on the number of people with access to a 10% deposit?

Let me give you an example..... I list my house for sale for 200k, 10 people show up to buy due to 5%.....(now more people have 5% deposit compared to 10) . inorder to secure the house from the other 9 people someone offers me 205. Then the house is sold. My neighbour wanting to sell checks how much I sold mine. Sees 205 and list his for 205 (gaining from my 200) . Another 10 people show up creating a bidding war and it sold for 210.... the law of demand and supply kicks in due to 5%, help to buy scheme, no stamp duty etc. These are tools the government uses to prop the market but intentional or unintentional drives the market price up

For reverse. .... I list my house for 200k. Stamp duty dey, deposit 10% or even higher. Nobody shows up to buy my house because few people have 10 percent deposit. After 6 months someone comes and offer me 180k. I agree or even i reduce the price after some months.....in order to sell ..my next door neighbour wants to sell. He sees i sold for 180 and list 180. He struggles to see a buyer as nobody even has 10 percent plus stamp duty so he sells his at 160 .

This is the correlation has things like 5% deposit, help to buy etc plays into the market with the principles of supply and demand

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by d33types: 3:15pm On Apr 19, 2021
Lexusgs430:

A localised Nigerian DL is not valid, you need to have upgraded it to an International license.....

This international license, is only valid for ONE year (from the entry date, stamped on your passport)......

Without the aforementioned, don't just grab a car (leave the car jejely, buy a bus pass or a bicycle)....... grin

Let's assume you already have the above, you MUST have a vehicle insurance + road fund licence aka road tax....

Without all of the above, buy beta boot to slap the highways........ cheesy

Thank you so much
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by d33types: 3:16pm On Apr 19, 2021
RalphJean:

Grab a car.
Pay insurance.
Pay road tax.
Enter road.

Good luck with the roundabouts.
Goodluck with knowing what double yellow lines mean.
Goodluck with differentiating white solid lines from white hatched lines.
Goodluck with driving and not pressing horn.

Hopefully, drive with two hands.

You almost got me with this high level sarcasm. grin cheesy

Thanks,man
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 3:56pm On Apr 19, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Let me give you an example..... I list my house for sale for 200k, 10 people show up to buy due to 5%.....(now more people have 5% deposit compared to 10) . inorder to secure the house from the other 9 people someone offers me 205. Then the house is sold. My neighbour wanting to sell checks how much I sold mine. Sees 205 and list his for 205 (gaining from my 200) . Another 10 people show up creating a bidding war and it sold for 210.... the law of demand and supply kicks in due to 5%, help to buy scheme, no stamp duty etc. These are tools the government uses to prop the market but intentional or unintentional drives the market price up

For reverse. .... I list my house for 200k. Stamp duty dey, deposit 10% or even higher. Nobody shows up to buy my house because few people have 10 percent deposit. After 6 months someone comes and offer me 180k. I agree or even i reduce the price after some months.....in order to sell ..my next door neighbour wants to sell. He sees i sold for 180 and list 180. He struggles to see a buyer as nobody even has 10 percent plus stamp duty so he sells his at 160 .

This is the correlation has things like 5% deposit, help to buy etc plays into the market with the principles of supply and demand

Your calculation is flawed. Why are you adding stamp duty in one scenario and removing it in the other?

The stamp duty holiday is still live, so a person could get both 5% mortgage AND pay no stamp duty on their purchase.

Take your 200k house that you described, listed without selling for 6 months. Assuming all things being equal, how would a 5% mortgage boost the price of such a house?

There's a lot of factors that maybe you haven't considered. Yes, the law of supply and demand will always apply, but what I fail to see is how 5% deposits will significantly drive demand across the country to such a point where house prices increase exponentially. The Government's involvement is restricted to helping the Lender recoup some of their losses if the house is repossessed and then sold at less than it's market value. This tells me that Lenders wont be giving out many of these loans anyway as there's a reasonable expectation of defaults.

I'm sorry I just cant see how these pump prices, especially as you cant even get them for new builds or second homes.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by claremont(m): 5:02pm On Apr 19, 2021
nihilistjnr:

Always an aye . It's not even tied to new builds

Why would you not?

The interest rates make it unpalatable to all but a few desperate to get on the housing ladder. Any mortgage interest rate above 2.5% should be avoided at all costs in my opinion, a bank loan will give a better interest deal. The average interest rates for these 5% mortgages is 3.99%, a good deal it is not.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 5:19pm On Apr 19, 2021
claremont:

The interest rates make it unpalatable to all but a few desperate to get on the housing ladder. Any mortgage interest rate above 2.5% should be avoided at all costs in my opinion, a bank loan will give a better interest deal. The average interest rates for these 5% mortgages is 3.99%, a good deal it is not.

Mortgage deposit is a function of raising capital. Interest rate is s function of cashflow.

The 5% mortgage is aimed at people who have difficulties with the former, not the latter.

It's easier for me to commit to paying 950 quid a month in mortgage payments, than to try and save 950 pounds a month for a deposit ontop of my rent

Along the line, due to property appreciation, I might cash out and not even have to repay the interest in full gaan sef

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 5:44pm On Apr 19, 2021
nihilistjnr:

Your calculation is flawed. Why are you adding stamp duty in one scenario and removing it in the other?

The stamp duty holiday is still live, so a person could get both 5% mortgage AND pay no stamp duty on their purchase.

Take your 200k house that you described, listed without selling for 6 months. Assuming all things being equal, how would a 5% mortgage boost the price of such a house?

There's a lot of factors that maybe you haven't considered. Yes, the law of supply and demand will always apply, but what I fail to see is how 5% deposits will significantly drive demand across the country to such a point where house prices increase exponentially. The Government's involvement is restricted to helping the Lender recoup some of their losses if the house is repossessed and then sold at less than it's market value. This tells me that Lenders wont be giving out many of these loans anyway as there's a reasonable expectation of defaults.

I'm sorry I just cant see how these pump prices, especially as you cant even get them for new builds or second homes.

Ok... no power to type again , let me go find food..... Any measures such as 5% that enables more buyers on the market always have a side effect of pushing up the price

I studied the market enough to know what I am saying without having to defend it or talk plenty grin.... save this and lets come back in 2 years time. Then I show you publications and data which will support my statement. ....

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by zeektofundit: 6:57pm On Apr 19, 2021
justwise:

That part

Boss @justwise I hail you. Been following silently before finally becoming serious with my Uk movement.

Little background info.. I’m 24, into tech (front end web dev), a graduate (but with a 3rd class) and I’m applying (through agency) for schools

Please my question is.. Is it feasible for me to differ studies after paying, studying for 1 year and apply to tech jobs. ( by then I would have stayed for a year so I feel It should be enough for me to know my way around and hopefully get a job)

This is my plan but from your experienced perceptive, I just want to know how possible it is and where I need to adjust for the best outcome.

Thank you for all the information you’ve shared so far
❤️
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 7:45pm On Apr 19, 2021
zeektofundit:

Boss @justwise I hail you. Been following silently before finally becoming serious with my Uk movement.

Little background info.. I’m 24, into tech (front end web dev), a graduate (but with a 3rd class) and I’m applying (through agency) for schools

Please my question is.. Is it feasible for me to differ studies after paying, studying for 1 year and apply to tech jobs. ( by then I would have stayed for a year so I feel It should be enough for me to know my way around and hopefully get a job)

This is my plan but from your experienced perceptive, I just want to know how possible it is and where I need to adjust for the best outcome.

❤️

Not a good plan and it will not work as you will be going against your student visa rule. Finish your studies and get the two years work program then apply for job
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 8:06pm On Apr 19, 2021
zeektofundit:

❤️

Differ [sic] studies.... as in drop out of school?
Stayed for a Year.... on which visa?

My brother, recalibrate this your K-legged plan

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by barakah(m): 10:25pm On Apr 19, 2021
Please house, can you assist with answers to the following question from a Nairalander who intends to take a decision on UK travel.

If by chance, a Nigerian male between the ages 35 to 45 years and having met all requirements for a UK visa for an initial 6 months arrives the UK.

The mission is to earn a steady forex income for the period that the visa lasts and probably start something tangible for the folks back home.
Hustle in obodo oyinbo is better than the rat race in Naija.

What type of opportunities are open to him since trying for a degree is out of it with the cost involved?
No work permit for 6 months visa and it will be odd to just sit in doors and not earn a living for an entire 180 day.
Work experience is regular hustle, office/admin work and every other legit thing that brings money to the table.

Please assist with information on other likely issues to be encountered
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:31pm On Apr 19, 2021
barakah:
Please house, can you assist with answers to the following question from a Nairalander who intends to take a decision on UK travel.

If by chance, a Nigerian male between the ages 35 to 45 years and having met all requirements for a UK visa for an initial 6 months arrives the UK.

The mission is to earn a steady forex income for the period that the visa lasts and probably start something tangible for the folks back home.

What type of opportunities are open to him since trying for a degree is out of it with the cost involved?
No work permit for 6 months visa and it will be odd to just sit in doors and not earn a living for an entire 180 day.
Work experience is regular hustle, office/admin work and every other legit thing that brings money to the table.

Please assist with information on othe likely issues to be encountred

Post covid many jobs have disappeared...... so even the ones with legal papers are struggling to find job quickly when they arrive how much more someone without papers..... that 6 months might go so quickly without seeing any forex income coming it..
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by JayTee20: 7:45am On Apr 20, 2021
Hi good morning, about going to the Uk and I was trying to get international drivers license from here but someone said it’s not recognized in Uk...true?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tpain22: 7:58am On Apr 20, 2021
Hello House, please I need your help. I just got my student visa and I need help with covid test center and payment I need to make for covid test on arrival.. the whole thing just confuse me. Can anyone clarify the process and approved covid test center. Do we still need yellow fever card ?
Family of 3 two adults and a child.. do we all need to do the test?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 8:25am On Apr 20, 2021
tpain22:
Hello House, please I need your help. I just got my student visa and I need help with covid test center and payment I need to make for covid test on arrival.. the whole thing just confuse me. Can anyone clarify the process and approved covid test center. Do we still need yellow fever card ?

The student tread would be the best to ask this question since you probably have more people there who done it recently

No you don't need yellow fever card... and I think children don't do the covid test/process. That the little I remember from your question . Also .gov website would have some of these answers

Also use the search button on top... for example you can type : covid test uk , then filter to travel section and you see some recent post of others on the topic
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dubaiprince: 8:28am On Apr 20, 2021
tpain22:

I will answer the ones I am sure of. None of you needs yellow fever vaccination (yellow card) to come into the UK. Children below 11 years are exempt from covid tests.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tpain22: 8:48am On Apr 20, 2021
LagosismyHome:

The student tread would be the best to ask this question since you probably have more people there who done it recently

No you don't need yellow fever card... and I think children don't do the covid test/process. That the little I remember from your question . Also .gov website would have some of these answers

Also use the search button on top... for example you can type : covid test uk , then filter to travel section and you see some recent post of others on the topic

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tpain22: 8:48am On Apr 20, 2021
dubaiprince:

I will answer the ones I am sure of. None of you needs yellow fever vaccination (yellow card) to come into the UK. Children below 11 years are exempt from covid tests.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:11am On Apr 20, 2021
JayTee20:
Hi good morning, about going to the Uk and I was trying to get international drivers license from here but someone said it’s not recognized in Uk...true?

The international drivers licence can be used for one year (counting from date of arrival)..... after one year not advisable

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 10:21am On Apr 20, 2021
JayTee20:

Driving is the least of your problem if you're new to UK. You need need to get your job, accommodation, bank account and credit sorted first.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 10:55am On Apr 20, 2021
barakah:

Please assist with information on other likely issues to be encountered

See the bolded bits?

They don’t go hand in hand.
You can’t apply for a VISITOR visa, go to the UK, and get any LEGAL job.
Sorry.

If you want members on this thread to tell you the truth as it is.... Forget it! It’s illegal.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (597) (598) (599) (600) (601) (602) (603) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.